Random Tool Social Media thread

The Main Event
M0G
Lungsmen

Re: Random Tool Social Media thread

Post by M0G »

APC vocals what are you talking about? Neither sound anything like APC vocals. The lyrics are more dense and the harmonies more rhythmic. Plus he is singing in the Tonic which he almost always does with Tool but doesn’t do nearly as often with APC. If you don’t know what the tonic is go look it up I don’t have the patience to explain it right now.
Last edited by M0G on Fri May 17, 2019 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
The most intelligent person on this forum
Bill Hilly
Droner
Location: Leavenworth Penitentiary - Dishonorably discharged from Tool Army

Post by Bill Hilly »

That should be a prerequisite to posting in this thread.

Do you know the Tool tonic? No? Toodles.
"I'm kind of a big dill." - Schlong Burgundy
Ettan
Dopocalyptic
Height: 190cm

Post by Ettan »

It's kinda bound to resemble APC vocal wise when it's the same singer. Tool tonic for sure in this case though, obviously
Bill Hilly
Droner
Location: Leavenworth Penitentiary - Dishonorably discharged from Tool Army

Post by Bill Hilly »

I remember people bitching about APC vocals when Lateralus came out......

It's nothing new, but still stupid.
"I'm kind of a big dill." - Schlong Burgundy
tys0n
Streeper

Post by tys0n »

Love the Tonic, this is my go to Karaoke song

Canned audience laughter
ziggy23
Stink Wizard

Post by ziggy23 »

05/16 – Lincoln, NE @ Pinnacle Bank Arena

- You like noisy music?
- Yes. The louder the better. Stops me from thinking.
- You don't like to think? What do you like?
- Never thought about it.
ajreeb
Maynard Believer

Post by ajreeb »

I like gin & tonic.
Tool_User
Optomist

Post by Tool_User »

hellboy wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 10:04 pm I love segues. Will be somewhat disappointed if we have less than 60 minutes of "music"
Same, bit of a dilemna really I love the segues but don't like to think that I've potentially heard 2 out of only 5 songs already 😬
rshforgothispw
Fornicraster

Post by rshforgothispw »

digging that new tonic the hedgehog trailer
rshforgothispw
Fornicraster

Post by rshforgothispw »

I hope they start with a gnarly sound to kick of the album. That’s really the only thing 10k was missing. I love the live synth sounds before vicarious live and wish it was on the damn album so all of the albums would be consistent!
parabol37
Maynard Believer

Post by parabol37 »

Hi all, I don't visit this site much, but I'm pretty pumped after seeing Tool in Kansas City a few nights ago. Loved the new stuff, and oh my gosh, Maynard sounded incredible. I've seen Tool live many times over the years (as well as APC and Puscifer) and I swear, over the past ~15 years, Maynard just keeps getting better. I never liked the song "Part of Me" all that much, but it blew me away hearing Maynard scream that live. One of the highlights of the show for sure. He also sang the end of Vicarious which I don't think I've heard him do since 06. He was as out front in the mix as I've heard him too.

Danny Carey is, of course, a monster. The whole band seemed in really good spirits too. Maynard hung out a little on stage after the show too.

The last bunch of times I've seen Tool, they noodled around between songs more--weird synth stuff, etc. There was notably less of that on this tour. It felt like up until the intermission, they didn't ever pause for long.

My only (very small) critique is that Stinkfist is not a good closer. I think they've closed with that at least the last three times I've seen them. In my opinion it's the least interesting song in Tool's catalog. I don't mind it so much as an opener, but for me it lacks that grand/epic feel that many of their songs have. Have seen the close with Lateralus, Aenema, Vicarious, and others which all are great. Honestly, I think just about any other song in their catalog would work better there.

Anyway, I don't want to end on a negative note, because the show was really so incredible. The band sounded superb. The new stage setup is cool and the light show was excellent as always.
tiresias
Has been

Post by tiresias »

Fuckin A!! “Part of Me” sounds great.
“Casual Fan”
nxrm
Living Duller

Post by nxrm »

parabol37 wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 9:19 am Hi all, I don't visit this site much, but I'm pretty pumped after seeing Tool in Kansas City a few nights ago. Loved the new stuff, and oh my gosh, Maynard sounded incredible. I've seen Tool live many times over the years (as well as APC and Puscifer) and I swear, over the past ~15 years, Maynard just keeps getting better. I never liked the song "Part of Me" all that much, but it blew me away hearing Maynard scream that live. One of the highlights of the show for sure. He also sang the end of Vicarious which I don't think I've heard him do since 06. He was as out front in the mix as I've heard him too.

Danny Carey is, of course, a monster. The whole band seemed in really good spirits too. Maynard hung out a little on stage after the show too.

The last bunch of times I've seen Tool, they noodled around between songs more--weird synth stuff, etc. There was notably less of that on this tour. It felt like up until the intermission, they didn't ever pause for long.

My only (very small) critique is that Stinkfist is not a good closer. I think they've closed with that at least the last three times I've seen them. In my opinion it's the least interesting song in Tool's catalog. I don't mind it so much as an opener, but for me it lacks that grand/epic feel that many of their songs have. Have seen the close with Lateralus, Aenema, Vicarious, and others which all are great. Honestly, I think just about any other song in their catalog would work better there.

Anyway, I don't want to end on a negative note, because the show was really so incredible. The band sounded superb. The new stage setup is cool and the light show was excellent as always.
Right on! Thanks for sharing your experience and thoughts.
So Long, and Thanks for All the Tool.
Capt. Shipwreck
Has been

Post by Capt. Shipwreck »

Stinkfist is the worst closer.
M0G
Lungsmen

Post by M0G »

I am fine with Stinkfist as a closer. Closing with a classic radio hit is a typical thing and everyone loves that song. Yeah there are better songs but I get why they do it. It is also a more straight forward song musically and I would imagine by the end of a show it is probably nice to slip into something they can basically no brain their way thru. Plus you have to take into the account how many casual fans go. Not everyone that buys a ticket is a hard core Tool fan. Many are just coming for those classic radio hits or nostalgia.
joeypants
Goderator

Post by joeypants »

Loathe Stinkfist as a closer. One of my absolute favorite openers they do. Something about is just such nice kickoff track for me.

Lateralus or Aenema will likely always be my favorite closers from them.
PulsedHalo
Has been

Post by PulsedHalo »

They should always close with Lateralus no matter what! It's the best song on planet Earth. And now I'm pissed off at myself for listening to the new stuff on repeat. especially if there's only 5-7 actual songs on the new album. It kinda depresses me. And no I don't want a fucking 12 minute drum solo on the new album. I'm getting anxious just thinking about it!
M0G
Lungsmen

Post by M0G »

Oh a 12 minute drum solo fuck yes!!! Bring that shit on!!
joeypants
Goderator

Post by joeypants »

I highly doubt that will be that long on the album. I'm also confident it will be badass.
mattw
Geacon

Post by mattw »

There was a stretch a few years back where I think TOOL closed their shows with either Aenema into Laterulas or Lateralus into Aenema. Either way around, finishing with those two tracks next to each other felt the best to me out of all the 16 shows I've seen. I totally agree with the sentiments expressed above here: Stinkfist is a great song to play early on in the show to set the vibe (it was 'Track 1' after all on the album) but it doesn't have the right vibe or feel for a closing song. Personally, I think Lateralus and then MJK saying "thank you for coming" etc leading into his vocals to kick off Aenema is the best closing experience I've seen.
mattw
Geacon

Post by mattw »

^I'm also hoping the band has some new epic track on the new album similar to Lateralus they can close their shows with from now on, similar to how Lateralus closed their shows from 2001 onwards
Busty McCracken
Lord Festivus

Post by Busty McCracken »

Agree Lateralus and Aenima are both banging ways to close the set I got no problems with stinkfist closing the set. Makes sense being their biggest commercial hit
Listen to All Them Witches
M0G
Lungsmen

Post by M0G »

joeypants wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 2:59 pm I highly doubt that will be that long on the album. I'm also confident it will be badass.
I am fairly confident you are badass Mr. Pants and I completely agree. Anything Danny does is badass, expect when he talks about album release dates. Poor fella suffers from a slight case of foot in mouth but he seems like such a nice dude you just kind of have to laugh about it.
tys0n
Streeper

Post by tys0n »

The only problem I have with Stinkfist closing is it leaves me wanting more which is probably the point.
Canned audience laughter
snazzl3frass
Has been
Height: Tall as fuck

Post by snazzl3frass »

I always thought Right in Two would be a good show closer. But yeah, Lateralus is an awesome closer. Leaves you in a sense of inspiration. I think they closed the show in 01 I went to, right after 9/11. Fucking mint show.
Nice couch. Fuck your couch.