Random Tool Social Media thread

The Main Event
earthrocker
Rhandy
Height: Short

Re: Random Tool Social Media thread

Post by earthrocker »

PulsedHalo wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:22 am The frumpy girl at reception in the building you work at with the hyper over-reaching personality to make up for her short comings in the looks department?
:lol:
M0G wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:59 am @random dude who created an account just to complain about me - Zero fucks given
Deftones!
PulsedHalo
Has been

Post by PulsedHalo »

earthrocker wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:25 am
PulsedHalo wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:22 am The frumpy girl at reception in the building you work at with the hyper over-reaching personality to make up for her short comings in the looks department?
M0G wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:59 am @random dude who created an account just to complain about me - Zero fucks given
LOL. I don't remember writing that. I don't even know what frumpy means. :lol:
Tool_User
Optomist

Post by Tool_User »

Tool is a very insular band. It shouldn't surprise any of us that they treat us like mushrooms. It's ok not to be OK with that tho. I like hearing mogs opinions, partly because I agree partly because I know someone will get all offended and put their two cents worth in. It's all good, your all twats and there's norra lot else to say about it.
MobileVortex
RIP

Post by MobileVortex »

Shed523 wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:54 am Children are our past present and future. I feel this album will be there most complete as children I feel complete us. While being the most difficult thing in our lives also the most rewarding. I know having children in my life changed my perspective assuming it has with Danny and Adam as well. I remember an interview with Maynard in the early days talking about him having a child And how he’s looking forward to his bandmates experiencing that.
I really curious what you mean by "most complete album" and how having children effected this? What would be different had they not had children? I really dont understand your perspective. This probably triggered by my "child-free" status, but I am generally curious.
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

tys0n wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 4:07 am
Eschaton wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:57 am I created an account after lurking around for some time only to say that this MOG dude is the most annoying user i've ever seen in a forum. I can't see how he isn't banned since the only thing he does is being an asshole lol
Fuck I'm slipping
That made me actually lol. Don’t worry, you’re still quite effective in my opinion.
Ki77aan :twisted:
Shed523
Geacon

Post by Shed523 »

MobileVortex wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:15 am
Shed523 wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:54 am Children are our past present and future. I feel this album will be there most complete as children I feel complete us. While being the most difficult thing in our lives also the most rewarding. I know having children in my life changed my perspective assuming it has with Danny and Adam as well. I remember an interview with Maynard in the early days talking about him having a child And how he’s looking forward to his bandmates experiencing that.
I really curious what you mean by "most complete album" and how having children effected this? What would be different had they not had children? I really dont understand your perspective. This probably triggered by my "child-free" status, but I am generally curious.
By all admissions it will be basically impossible To make an album more complete than Lateralus IMO. I do believe the two biggest factors that changes us from the inside out are the loss of life and the birth of life. Adam and Danny seams like pretty happy papas and sharing what you love with your children is second to none. So I guess my thinking is this time around these guys are all in a really beautiful place in their personal lives which I Think will show in the Masterpiece that awaits.
All well Whatever, Nevermind
OLDGREG
Maynard Believer

Post by OLDGREG »

looks like this chod rumor popped up again on reddit. this time claiming this time a russian site that has been accurate in the past with leaked info (allegedly)

Well-known Russian leak site posts supposed tracklist/artwork for new album "Chod", out August 30

i still think this is high effort shitposting but who knows
lukas
Geacon

Post by lukas »

VISIONS, the biggest german rock magazine has a big tool feature this month (they usually have exclusive interviews w. mjk, billy howerdel, puscifer musicians...and will most certainly have something exclusive once the album gets released / the embargo gets lifted).
I bought the magazine because I was interested whether some of the journalists would confirm that they attended the mentioned listening party f. journalists. while there is no mention about it, there is one interesting piece of info I wanted to share:
the journalist (who wrote the whole article that also includes an extensive review about the big berlin show a few weeks back) mentions that a 'trusted source' told him that tool discussed how they would fit all those long songs on vinyl, because it will be obviously hard to fit 2 tracks on 1 side of a LP. so take this for what it is. VISIONS does state that this is something someone else told them. VISIONS is usually a high quality magazine and legit source though.
here is the feature, w. blurred text (I don't wanna distribute their content, these guys usually put in some hard work to get all their info and interviews together)

Takeo
Has been

Post by Takeo »

Love the openness here, all commentary welcome. To get offended on the interwebs is absurd.

However, I can see how it gets irritating when somebody tries way too hard and posts the same bluster over and over and over again. It clutters the threads and a nuisance to continually scroll over it.

Especially when you see a couple new pages of posts and dive in thinking there’s album news :x
ziggy23
Stink Wizard

Post by ziggy23 »

OLDGREG wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:18 am
Well-known Russian leak site posts supposed tracklist/artwork for new album "Chod", out August 30

It was Putin who did this, useless fuck
- You like noisy music?
- Yes. The louder the better. Stops me from thinking.
- You don't like to think? What do you like?
- Never thought about it.
M0G
Lungsmen

Post by M0G »

Takeo wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:38 pm Love the openness here, all commentary welcome. To get offended on the interwebs is absurd.

However, I can see how it gets irritating when somebody tries way too hard and posts the same bluster over and over and over again. It clutters the threads and a nuisance to continually scroll over it.

Especially when you see a couple new pages of posts and dive in thinking there’s album news :x
Stop crying. You can always go back to reddit they love to cry over there.

New rant incoming courtesy of Takeo

Ya just had to do it
The most intelligent person on this forum
M0G
Lungsmen

Post by M0G »

lukas wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 11:17 am VISIONS, the biggest german rock magazine has a big tool feature this month (they usually have exclusive interviews w. mjk, billy howerdel, puscifer musicians...and will most certainly have something exclusive once the album gets released / the embargo gets lifted).
I bought the magazine because I was interested whether some of the journalists would confirm that they attended the mentioned listening party f. journalists. while there is no mention about it, there is one interesting piece of info I wanted to share:
the journalist (who wrote the whole article that also includes an extensive review about the big berlin show a few weeks back) mentions that a 'trusted source' told him that tool discussed how they would fit all those long songs on vinyl, because it will be obviously hard to fit 2 tracks on 1 side of a LP. so take this for what it is. VISIONS does state that this is something someone else told them. VISIONS is usually a high quality magazine and legit source though.
here is the feature, w. blurred text (I don't wanna distribute their content, these guys usually put in some hard work to get all their info and interviews together)

Blurring the text was thoughtful but most of us don't speak German so you were probably gonna be okay. Then again there are some people on here that literally might have tried to translate every line. Crazy Toolios.

As for L.P. people STILL buy those? I mean circa 1983 discs are bad enough. Circa 1930 frisbees are even worse. Analog *cringes* It's 2019 fellas come live that digital life. Less clutter, higher quality. Do it for the planet. Do it for progress. Do it so bands don't delay albums for fucking months because of packaging.
_peterpwn
Has been

Post by _peterpwn »

it was a long, tedeious and frustrating journey to wait for this album, and to be honest i ended up on a completely depressive end of that tunnel, letting go basically everything tool, not even listening past tunes, it was a long and abusive relationship and the sex wasnt good enough to save the day

basically my only tool fix over the pas decade (!) was this site and community, so thank you all, especially hellboy for your effort

i was lucky to be a part of the celebration which was Tool touring european soil after seeing them in 2006, it was a big thing in our continent, it was a really special event (i was in Prague and Vienna shows) and it didnt disappoint... man what a show, i totally forgot how good this band is, and when i saw them in 2006 it was a festival set so basically it was my first all-Tool night in a venue

first of all, dear junior, and your team, your work in this stage setup is amazing, it was a great fucking show for our buck, and i dont exactly how much ure involved in the CCtrip visual (which i dont want to spoiler to anyone but has some next level paradigm shift 4d lightning stuff that basically opens up the sky as Danny is channelling... well i dont know what the fucks he's channelling but i have never seen anything like this in my life, its like a laser-built tornado of spirits gathering towards the opening sky above a drummer in a Lakers jersey or something, next.gen shamanism

as for the show, the people were very open and kind, no drunken assholes or anything, it was a sense of a very good community, and it was a good experience to branch out with fellow tool fans
the band was, well they were quite serious about they game, and the vibe was also very, very good, they are in good spirits, and they make the best party right now in the world i think, and even if they came from the US, (i would be jet lagged as shit) they were on the top of their shit, my old love for Tool got a reboot, oddly enough, now i like tracks that didnt do it for me before (The Pot, Jambi, Vicarious, jesus those three are MASSIVE live), and old tracks that just dont clicked for me that much this time (Aenima, Schism) which was maybe due to the difference between the sound setup on them (other tracks were louder, clearer, tighter and more detailed). Parabol and Parabola was the moment i felt the connection with myself, the people and the world itself the most, it was a very humbling moment, everybody was silent, no telephones, it was a very, very rare moment which was worth the ticket price alone, but the absolute, absolute highlight in the evening was the surprisingly unbeleivably fresh and powerful presentation of Intolerance... god fucking damn, i dont know how many of you have seen it live recently, but what the fuck is that? there are not many concerts in my life i can recall that i was partying out so hard as when that track blasted on the dancefloor, hooly fucking shit, completely out of this world, a total wild card gem for me in the evening, didnt have any idea that undertow tracks sound this fucking good (i've heard Flood in 2006 but that wasnt this level of goodness)

as for the new tracks, i wasnt listening to them on bootlegs, which was very hard (it was roughly a month or two) to wait out, so i didnt know what to expect, and frankly, it didnt do anything to me, it was weak and messy, i couldnt connect with any of it, except the chugging at the end of Invincible thats hard to ignore

but after listening to them at home alone, suddenly they clicked and honestly it's the crowning of this experience, their "comeback"
both of these tracks are brave enough to even embrace almost completely identical sections from many of their previous tracks, but they dont shy away from it, and create something that is surprisingly fucking beautiful, and very, very Tool
there is some kind of opennes in both melody and instrumentals that are like a breath of fresh air but its also tight as fuck, and they took this approach of taking elements that at first sight seems simple but they experiment with every side of it, to an ever higher level
these tracks have subtleties and complexities that surpasses Wings and Rosetta, yet feels more close and easier to connect with, i had to hear these tracks even as they are just bootleg versions (!) to understand what exactly on this fucking world could cost 10 years to make, but it was worth it and i'm happy they took their time, i have been on a binge listening train in the past 4 weeks but they still seem fresh and new every single time

tl dr, good times ahead peoples
:*

.i.
liz
Lunchinator

Post by liz »

@_peterpwn I really enjoyed your review, it gave me a real sense of your experience. I didn't realise before this last month how long it had been since TooL toured Europe. We have been very lucky in Australia and had the opportunity several times during the long album wait. As your post demonstrates that live experience reconnects or keeps you connected with the band.
"She's a very charming and delightful creature, and has only one fault that I know of. It happens, unfortunately, that that single blemish is a want of taste. She don't like me."
M0G
Lungsmen

Post by M0G »

@_peterpwn - Not gonna lie I skimmed most of that but what did catch my eye is when you said they used almost completely identical sections that is complete nonsense. There are only so many chords and so many time signatures and there are always going to be things that sound the same or a chord progression that might be similar but nothing in either song was ripped from any prior song. Each song is structurally unique from a theory standpoint and neither song sounds much like anything Tool have done previously other than them being Tool songs and therefore sounding like Tool.

I have no idea what people were expecting with these new songs. They are different from anything off 10k, Lateralus, Aenima or Undertow but they are still fundamentally Tool. At first I thought Descending could fit on Lateralus but after many listens it would sound very out of place. There will always be sections in every Tool song that sound similar to sections from previous songs. That is the case with just about every rock band on the planet. When a band develops a particular sound they are going to construct their songs in similar ways that emphasize that sound while exploring whatever musical idea they are after.

Bottom line if you think they ripped anything from previous songs you are not listening hard enough.

And yes this is me taking up for Tool. It doesn't happen often.
liz
Lunchinator

Post by liz »

Peterpwn says "almost completely" and Mog says ""sound the same" and "similar". Yet Peterpawns words are a "nonsense"?
"She's a very charming and delightful creature, and has only one fault that I know of. It happens, unfortunately, that that single blemish is a want of taste. She don't like me."
_peterpwn
Has been

Post by _peterpwn »

liz: cheers
mog: basically what i said is that they took some of their riffs and moments, like literally identical riffs with slightly different tempos (grudge, jambi, pot and so on) and they applied them differently, creating new and refreshing songs and textures, which is a good thing, so basically we're both taking up for tool
M0G
Lungsmen

Post by M0G »

liz wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 5:02 pm Peterpwn says "almost completely" and Mog says ""sound the same" and "similar". Yet Peterpawns words are a "nonsense"?
Sound similar and ripped are COMPLETELY different things attention to context Liz you clearly missed it. He was implying direct pulling from prior songs. Direct ripping of sections from previous songs. That has not happened in either song. I would explain it to you musically but I doubt you would be able to follow. Two things can sound similar but be completely different chords, time signatures, etc. For example both Descending and Invincible you will find more 7 than Tool typically plays in. Structurally, rhythmically, neither song has ripped anything from any prior song.

He specifically said almost completely identical sections. That is simply not the case in either song.

I have seen it mentioned that Descending was ripped from The Grudge which is utter nonsense. They are in completely different times they share next to nothing rhythmically. One small piece sounds slightly similar but is not almost completely identical.

Pay attention
M0G
Lungsmen

Post by M0G »

_peterpwn wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 5:04 pm liz: cheers
mog: basically what i said is that they took some of their riffs and moments, like literally identical riffs with slightly different tempos (grudge, jambi, pot and so on) and they applied them differently, creating new and refreshing songs and textures, which is a good thing, so basically we're both taking up for tool
I understand your point, I don't agree, but I understand what you are trying to say. Other than the most basic of chords and scales that they use as building blocks for most of their songs but nothing specific in terms of literal identical riffs. You could look at almost any Tool song and find things that sound similar or places where a particular chord progression may have been used or even a specific time signature being used but from a composition standpoint these new songs are as different as every other Tool song is to any other Tool song.

Unless Tool literally decided to make an album in a completely different genre anything they come up with at some point is going to remind you of something they have done before. That is the case with every rock band that has a signature sound.
liz
Lunchinator

Post by liz »

M0G wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 5:11 pm
liz wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 5:02 pm Peterpwn says "almost completely" and Mog says ""sound the same" and "similar". Yet Peterpawns words are a "nonsense"?
Sound similar and ripped are COMPLETELY different things attention to context Liz you clearly missed it. He was implying direct pulling from prior songs. Direct ripping of sections from previous songs. That has not happened in either song. I would explain it to you musically but I doubt you would be able to follow. Two things can sound similar but be completely different chords, time signatures, etc. For example both Descending and Invincible you will find more 7 than Tool typically plays in. Structurally, rhythmically, neither song has ripped anything from any prior song.

He specifically said almost completely identical sections. That is simply not the case in either song.

I have seen it mentioned that Descending was ripped from The Grudge which is utter nonsense. They are in completely different times they share next to nothing rhythmically. One small piece sounds slightly similar but is not almost completely identical.

Pay attention
Mog I gave peterpwn the courtesy of reading the whole review before I commented,, so my contextual take would be a little more complete than yours.
He spoke about the band embracing prior passages not ripping them.

And yes I've no doubt you could slay me with unintelligible (to me) musical theory but I'm here to tell you I have a most excellent ear, not to mention stratospheric comprehension skills. Good morning. :D
Bill Hilly
Droner
Location: Leavenworth Penitentiary - Dishonorably discharged from Tool Army

Post by Bill Hilly »

"long time lurker" or "ban these assholes" would be my screen name if I could do it over again.
"I'm kind of a big dill." - Schlong Burgundy
M0G
Lungsmen

Post by M0G »

liz wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 5:22 pm
M0G wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 5:11 pm

Pay attention
Mog I gave peterpwn the courtesy of reading the whole review before I commented,, so my contextual take would be a little more complete than yours.
He spoke about the band embracing prior passages not ripping them.

And yes I've no doubt you could slay me with unintelligible (to me) musical theory but I'm here to tell you I have a most excellent ear, not to mention stratospheric comprehension skills. Good morning. :D
Having a good ear and understanding music theory are very very different things. The band has not embraced prior passages in either song they are both structurally different they share very little in common with any other Tool song outside of the standard basic fundamental level shit that you will find in most of their compositions. They have taken a different approach with these songs. Slow burn, more tonal harmony, tight but not rigid. They are both mature compositions that are the kinds of songs that make sense musically from Tool at this point in their career.

These songs are not nods to the past. They are where Tool is musically after 13 years. How the rest of the album stacks up remains to be seen.
bob
Toast

Post by bob »

liz wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:36 am
bob wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:04 am
liz wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:23 pm
If we don't get rid of the anti vaxers soon we'll have a real cluster fuck on our hands.
oh gee, thats really nice. ive never even talked to you on here before. sorry Mog if i infected you! but i have been vaccinated. how presumptuous!
Just mucking around Bob don't read whats not there. I'm sure you're a perfectly lovely fellow or so I presume...
i didnt loose sleep over it but at the time.... im not always nice. it depends. that part isnt for me to say really.
Last edited by bob on Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
liz
Lunchinator

Post by liz »

M0G wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 5:34 pm
Having a good ear and understanding music theory are very very different thing
Yes indeed. I have a friend who plays piano to almost concert standard. She is technically very competent (or so Ive been told) but she doesn't feel what she plays and you can hear it.

Many of our music icons (think Zappa, Hendrix, Bowie) were self taught. I'm sure they hired people to explain the theory to them when the need arose (if it ever did)...
M0G
Lungsmen

Post by M0G »

liz wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 5:47 pm
M0G wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 5:34 pm
Having a good ear and understanding music theory are very very different thing
Yes indeed. I have a friend who plays piano to almost concert standard. She is technically very competent (or so Ive been told) but she doesn't feel what she plays and you can hear it.

Many of our music icons (think Zappa, Hendrix, Bowie) were self taught. I'm sure they hired people to explain the theory to them when the need arose (if it ever did)...
The self taught narrative gets over spun. They understood theory after time. That said understanding theory doesn't equate to good song writing. Dream Theater being a perfect example. Theory for days, terrible song writing.