Random Tool Social Media thread

The Main Event
rshforgothispw
Fornicraster
Posts: 575
Joined: Mon Apr 01, 2019 5:54 am

Re: Random Tool Social Media thread

Post by rshforgothispw » Wed Jul 03, 2019 4:03 pm

M0G wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 3:14 pm
I read some dipshit comment on the youtubez where someone was crying because Maynard doesn't sing on the second half of Descending just go fuck right off Tool fans swinging on Maynard's nuts the song doesn't call for lyrics in the second half it isn't about Maynard at that point. The first half lyrics fit. The second half lyrics would make no sense and would sound out of place.

Fucking Maynard lovers I swear to god some of these motherfuckers think that arrogant little prick walks on water.

You could replace Maynard and Tool would still be Tool. The other three are far more important. Any number of vocalists can do what Maynard does and some even do it better. Very few in rock can do what Adam, Justin and Danny do musically.

Vocals are fucking overrated anyway all of Tool's best moments are instrumental sections.
I listen to more post rock than rock with vocals mainly because the vocals always kill the song for me. The lyrics, the horrible singing, it all sucks! The biggest exception these days is tool and and that is totally due to Maynard being the cherry on top. He knows exactly where to be in the song. His grunts, his melodies, and his use of syllables round out the impact of the other band mates and no one could ever replace him. A three piece instrumental band? Maybe. Tool with another singer? Never.

rshforgothispw
Fornicraster
Posts: 575
Joined: Mon Apr 01, 2019 5:54 am

Re: Random Tool Social Media thread

Post by rshforgothispw » Wed Jul 03, 2019 4:06 pm

Damn MOG triggered everyone

mattw
Phony
Posts: 217
Joined: Wed May 10, 2006 12:25 am

Re: Random Tool Social Media thread

Post by mattw » Wed Jul 03, 2019 4:08 pm

Not triggered, just clarifying what he might mean here. It's all healthy rhetoric.

BlackHole83
Stinkyfist
Posts: 1013
Joined: Sat Jan 18, 2014 2:03 am

Re: Random Tool Social Media thread

Post by BlackHole83 » Wed Jul 03, 2019 4:14 pm

TOOL is 4 members all equally vital to their sound. Subtract any one of them and they would never sound like TOOL. This is much different than Puscifer or APC where MJK controls it all. Could Maynard be replaced? Of course, but it won’t be the same.

User avatar
M0G
Lungsmen
Posts: 1965
Joined: Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:24 pm

Re: Random Tool Social Media thread

Post by M0G » Wed Jul 03, 2019 4:18 pm

When have i ever given a shit about triggering anyone? Maynard is a good singer but he is the last important of member of Tool the entire of four of them are equal rhetoric is nonsense. If you think Maynard is as important as Danny you are fucking high
The most intelligent person on this forum

User avatar
hellboy
Site Admin
Posts: 11518
Joined: Sat Dec 31, 2005 10:01 pm
Height: 182cm
Contact:

Re: Random Tool Social Media thread

Post by hellboy » Wed Jul 03, 2019 4:27 pm

M0G's entitled to his opinion I guess, I'm confident it's legit and he's not just trolling. In this case he's completely wrong though. Maynard is every bit as vital to the band as the other three members.

Tool_User
Optomist
Posts: 463
Joined: Sat Aug 17, 2013 1:47 pm

Re: Random Tool Social Media thread

Post by Tool_User » Wed Jul 03, 2019 4:33 pm

Tool without maynard, however great they are as musicians, would be some irrelevant band nobody would of heard of or give a shit about.

BlackHole83
Stinkyfist
Posts: 1013
Joined: Sat Jan 18, 2014 2:03 am

Re: Random Tool Social Media thread

Post by BlackHole83 » Wed Jul 03, 2019 4:36 pm

Not high (yet) but yes they are all equally vital to their sound.

mattw
Phony
Posts: 217
Joined: Wed May 10, 2006 12:25 am

Re: Random Tool Social Media thread

Post by mattw » Wed Jul 03, 2019 4:40 pm

Yeah agreed. If in the future TOOL announced they are touring Australia again but Maynard won't be joining them and instead another vocalist was going to fill in temporarily or take his place from here on, I don't think I'd buy tickets to go see 'the band' play live anymore.

Yes, Danny/Adam/Justin are incredible, but throw in a different vocalist and I just don't really care anymore. It's just not the same. I think that applies equally to the other three band members in this touring hypothetical. I wouldn't go see TOOL play live if Danny couldn't do the shows, or Adam pulled out for some reason, or Justin etc.

The other night at Download I noticed Stone Temple Pilots were on the bill. But no Scott Weiland (deceased) and no Chester Bennington (also deceased) to perform vocals. Did I make the effort to go see them? NO. Do I still love the band's music? Absolutely. But Weiland not being there just bums me out. Also, FYI, i loved the energy Linkin Park gave to their live shows but I'm not interested in seeing them with Chester's replacement.

User avatar
Moridin
Has been
Posts: 157
Joined: Fri Dec 12, 2014 7:15 pm

Re: Random Tool Social Media thread

Post by Moridin » Wed Jul 03, 2019 4:45 pm

M0G wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 3:14 pm

You could replace Maynard and Tool would still be Tool. The other three are far more important. Any number of vocalists can do what Maynard does and some even do it better. Very few in rock can do what Adam, Justin and Danny do musically.
"The other 3". Justin wasn't even in the band until Ænima, and much of that was written before he joined.

I think you're confusing doing (i.e. "playing") with actually writing. Even then, on a technical level, what Adam does is by far the easiest of all of them.

User avatar
hellboy
Site Admin
Posts: 11518
Joined: Sat Dec 31, 2005 10:01 pm
Height: 182cm
Contact:

Re: Random Tool Social Media thread

Post by hellboy » Wed Jul 03, 2019 6:13 pm


snazzl3frass
Has been
Posts: 205
Joined: Fri May 10, 2019 8:26 pm
Height: Tall as fuck
Location: Your mom.

Re: Random Tool Social Media thread

Post by snazzl3frass » Wed Jul 03, 2019 6:13 pm

Jimmy has a good ear for melodies, moggles. Sure they can put out an instrumental album and blow loads, but May May’s finishing touches bring it all together.
Nice couch. Fuck your couch.

User avatar
brewdog123
RIP
Posts: 332
Joined: Thu Jun 10, 2010 11:01 am

Re: Random Tool Social Media thread

Post by brewdog123 » Wed Jul 03, 2019 6:52 pm

hellboy wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 4:27 pm
M0G's entitled to his opinion I guess, I'm confident it's legit and he's not just trolling. In this case he's completely wrong though. Maynard is every bit as vital to the band as the other three members.
No fucking doubt. What a terribly wrong take by mog. Par for the course.

Takeo
Has been
Posts: 205
Joined: Tue May 07, 2019 11:17 am

Re: Random Tool Social Media thread

Post by Takeo » Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:11 pm

Holiday update! Let’s go!!

User avatar
Specter
Rhandy
Posts: 828
Joined: Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:29 am

Re: Random Tool Social Media thread

Post by Specter » Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:16 pm

M0G wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 4:18 pm
When have i ever given a shit about triggering anyone? Maynard is a good singer but he is the last important of member of Tool the entire of four of them are equal rhetoric is nonsense. If you think Maynard is as important as Danny you are fucking high
That’s bullshit and you know it.
His vocals/lyrics propel a great fourth of their music.
His melodic approach to the music his band mates create
is something of beauty.

Stop raining your sour shower!
Dancing on the roof of some cartoon showroom

User avatar
tys0n
Lost Cosmonaut
Posts: 3253
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:35 pm

Re: Random Tool Social Media thread

Post by tys0n » Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:17 pm

How Do You Solve a Problem Like Mogria?
Canned audience laughter

User avatar
Specter
Rhandy
Posts: 828
Joined: Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:29 am

Re: Random Tool Social Media thread

Post by Specter » Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:25 pm

Play 3:00 AM by Matchbox Twenty? 😎
Dancing on the roof of some cartoon showroom

User avatar
tys0n
Lost Cosmonaut
Posts: 3253
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:35 pm

Re: Random Tool Social Media thread

Post by tys0n » Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:54 pm

Well I can't help but be scared of it all sometimes…
Canned audience laughter

User avatar
Bill Hilly
Droner
Posts: 1657
Joined: Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:29 pm
Location: Leavenworth Penitentiary - Dishonorably discharged from Tool Army

Re: Random Tool Social Media thread

Post by Bill Hilly » Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:59 pm

rshforgothispw wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 4:06 pm
Damn MOG triggered everyone
That's not really how it works.

This same silly argument was made by Mog last year, and the year before, and the year before that.
"I'm kind of a big dill." - Schlong Burgundy

User avatar
Busty McCracken
Queric
Posts: 2842
Joined: Sun Oct 25, 2015 7:28 pm

Re: Random Tool Social Media thread

Post by Busty McCracken » Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:22 pm

Has anyone ever noticed Mogs rants tend to take place on the Am in Australia?? :?
Listen to All Them Witches

User avatar
tys0n
Lost Cosmonaut
Posts: 3253
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:35 pm

Re: Random Tool Social Media thread

Post by tys0n » Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:31 pm

We've got our very own Alan Jones.
Canned audience laughter

User avatar
Busty McCracken
Queric
Posts: 2842
Joined: Sun Oct 25, 2015 7:28 pm

Re: Random Tool Social Media thread

Post by Busty McCracken » Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:16 pm

Youre a funny fucker eh
Listen to All Them Witches

User avatar
children
Metalologist
Posts: 504
Joined: Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:48 am

Re: Random Tool Social Media thread

Post by children » Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:17 pm

mattw wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 4:40 pm
Yeah agreed. If in the future TOOL announced they are touring Australia again but Maynard won't be joining them and instead another vocalist was going to fill in temporarily or take his place from here on, I don't think I'd buy tickets to go see 'the band' play live anymore.

Yes, Danny/Adam/Justin are incredible, but throw in a different vocalist and I just don't really care anymore. It's just not the same. I think that applies equally to the other three band members in this touring hypothetical. I wouldn't go see TOOL play live if Danny couldn't do the shows, or Adam pulled out for some reason, or Justin etc.

The other night at Download I noticed Stone Temple Pilots were on the bill. But no Scott Weiland (deceased) and no Chester Bennington (also deceased) to perform vocals. Did I make the effort to go see them? NO. Do I still love the band's music? Absolutely. But Weiland not being there just bums me out. Also, FYI, i loved the energy Linkin Park gave to their live shows but I'm not interested in seeing them with Chester's replacement.
While I agree that nobody usually likes to see a band they like replace its members, especially due to death, I would like to say how good of a singer the new STP vocalist is. I was not expecting to get the full effect of the music without Scott but the new guy nailed the vocals and did an uncanny impersonation of him. I had never seen STP ever so had no idea how the band sounds live. Made me appreciate their records so much more. Plush is incredible live.

STP is more the type of band that can change singers and pull it off, although Chester was the worst choice to replace Scott to begin with, but I can't stand Linkin Park so I am sort of biased.

Tool is not the kind of band that can replace Maynard. The other three can still sound good on their own instrumentally but the music would not have the emotional impact it does and the toolgasms would fall flat without the context Maynard provides.

I also believe that nobody could ever do an effective imitation of MJ. His voice is too unique; not to mention the way he uses it which is unique in itself. Another thing that Mog seems to forget is the stage presence that Maynard had in the first decade of the bands career. His charisma and sense of humor alone was enough entertainment by itself to draw a crowd and gain a following. Most people don't get off on instrumental music. Having a vocalist makes the music more accessible. Without Maynard they never would have been commercially successful.

Another thing, Maynard is a goddamn poet with his words and can rival anyone in history with the way he places his melodies with his gorgeous voice. All that combined with the shear creativity and chemistry with the other members made them instant legends...and then they replaced Paul with Justin and completed their transformation into Gods among mortals.
"That's what you get when you argue with children..." -Tyson

NowhereFaded
Bronco's Fan
Posts: 29
Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2018 7:45 am

Re: Random Tool Social Media thread

Post by NowhereFaded » Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:30 pm

Moridin wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 4:45 pm
M0G wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 3:14 pm

You could replace Maynard and Tool would still be Tool. The other three are far more important. Any number of vocalists can do what Maynard does and some even do it better. Very few in rock can do what Adam, Justin and Danny do musically.
"The other 3". Justin wasn't even in the band until Ænima, and much of that was written before he joined.

I think you're confusing doing (i.e. "playing") with actually writing. Even then, on a technical level, what Adam does is by far the easiest of all of them.
LMFAO!! Adams signature guitar tone and riffage are the life blood of Tool that shapes the bands sound. Without Adam, there would be no tool. Everything from the artwork to the vision/visceral landscape of the band all starts and ends with AJ. The man is a gosh darn artistical genius. IMO, of coarse... But if someone disagrees I would admire a explanation of their reasoning .

User avatar
Bill Hilly
Droner
Posts: 1657
Joined: Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:29 pm
Location: Leavenworth Penitentiary - Dishonorably discharged from Tool Army

Re: Random Tool Social Media thread

Post by Bill Hilly » Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:38 pm

NowhereFaded wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:30 pm
... But if someone disagrees I would admire a explanation of their reasoning .
Please, no.
"I'm kind of a big dill." - Schlong Burgundy

Post Reply