Random Tool Social Media thread

The Main Event
Bill Hilly
Droner
Location: Leavenworth Penitentiary - Dishonorably discharged from Tool Army

Re: Random Tool Social Media thread

Post by Bill Hilly »

Busty McCracken wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:20 pm Yep I mentioned on different thread last week that Deftones & QOTSA are two bands I could never really get into.
I'm just copying everything you say on here lately. :D
"I'm kind of a big dill." - Schlong Burgundy
children
Metalologist

Post by children »

Kittaan wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:01 pm Reading these last few posts re: APC albums and personal ratings brought up an old question / conversation I’ve had with a number of folks over the years. How much does repeat, active listening influence your opinion of an album? Taking into account subjective vs objective, can you “make” yourself dig an album that you initially found “meh...”?

For me, there are numerous albums by bands I love that I initially dismissed, but on relentless repeat listens I came to adore. On the other hand, if there wasn’t at least some initial draw, I doubt I would have invested the time and energy to get there.

Are there any bands that you’ve tried your best to like, listened to numerous times and still couldn’t get there?

This is a fascinating topic for me. Any opinions? Please provide some examples.

For me, Radiohead initially held no interest for me and I couldn’t understand the reverence displayed by so many. Actually, same for Led Zeppelin, now that I think about it. It was only after attempting to learn some bass lines for both (several decades apart) that allowed me to get past my first impressions and dig in to a point where those are two of my favorite bands. By the way, JPJ is one of the most underrated bassists in rock. Both have amazing rhythm sections, although with such radically different approaches.
A topic I think about almost daily and a phenomenon that happens to me with music all the time. It's made me give a lot of artists multiple chances over the years to see if I was just not in the right frame of mind when I heard it, and a lot of times I have found that is precisely what was happening.

I think it was around the time I began using psychedelics and I listened to music I had been hearing my whole life like it was the first time. Even after smoking herb as a teenager it opened a door in my mind that helped me experience the music on a deeper level.

Psychedelics increase your empathy and that basically is what music is, is bottled up feelings and emotion, so for me every aspect of the music resonated with me more, and I found that the music that felt right to me just got better and better with each listen, and still does to this day.

If music is of a high enough quality, I can find an infinite amount of depth in it and get lost in it like a fractal in my mind for all eternity That's why Tool is probably the greatest band ever. I listened to them before I ever took psychedelics, and could already listen to them on repeat, but once I started smoking and all that, I gained such a deep appreciation for them that just keeps going, and going, and spiraling out haha.

But they are not the only ones I feel that way about. Tool showed me what music was really capable of and set me on a journey to discover my love for all types of music and become a drummer myself, which in itself led me to appreciate and understand music in an even deeper way.

I have discovered a new found love for music through this process of challenging my taste to understand what others see in a particular style of music or artist. Music I used to think was boring or for whatever reason didn't click with me is now some of my favorite stuff, and music I never heard before in my life can open up it's layers to me quicker, if not immediately on first listen.

I have tapped into something that I can tell other people don't experience, and know because I used to not be able to hear it either. I have been blessed with good taste in music and am forever grateful to whatever or whoever gave me this gift.

When it comes to examples, there are countless I could get into.

First of all, never could really get what people see in Dream Theater. I absolutely adore, on an obsession level, Rush and Porcupine Tree, among the other typical prog rock bands, just after initial attempts, and have tried with DT quite a few times, but it's unlistenable to me, and have come to the conclusion that people who like them don't really like music at all. They most likely lack empathy as human beings and only like the stimulation of the intellectual masturbation that makes them feel superior to everyone else. Blink 182 recorded better sounding songs in their garage than DT using the best studios in the world for their "songs" if that's what you want to call them.

I have just recently discovered how good Steve Vai is though. I like Zappa but never listened to Steve's solo work, and it sounds real nice. Nothing fancy, but not everybody can be DREAM THEATER!!
"That's what you get when you argue with children..." -Tyson
tys0n
Streeper

Post by tys0n »

Dream Theater is just masturbation with no pay off, jerking it just for the sake of it.
Canned audience laughter
Calfium Jay
Queric
Height: 189cm

Post by Calfium Jay »

So is Rush.

:|
'It is time for us to be doing what we have been doing every day. And that time is now'

Actual quote from Kamala Harris
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

Kittaan wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:01 pm Reading these last few posts re: APC albums and personal ratings brought up an old question / conversation I’ve had with a number of folks over the years. How much does repeat, active listening influence your opinion of an album? Taking into account subjective vs objective, can you “make” yourself dig an album that you initially found “meh...”?
I'm not sure you can make yourself like something. I've tried to get into Radiohead many many times, and while I can appreciate the music, I can't seem to get them to a point where the music really excites me.

Certainly there are other elements that can "improve" a band. There are several I thought were a bit "meh" until I saw them live and found a new appreciation for example.

Where we are talking about a band that we already like, that have released perhaps a "subpar" album, I do believe that repeat listens can improve (and the opposite) your take on the album. My initial thoughts on EtE were quite low - after one listen I would have rated it about a 5-6/10. I stuck with it though, and came to appreciate many of the subtleties that are easily missed on single listens and since upped my rating a couple of points. Similar story with the recent Rammstein album. I think the key here though is that I already liked these bands.

i honestly believe that many are far to quick to judge albums these days. Given we have Spotify, et al. it's really easy to listen to many albums in a short period of time, rather than taking the opportunity to truly absorb records. In my experience the number of albums that are "great" on first listen are few and far between, and if we let that first impression tarnish our opinions on records, we're doing ourselves a real disservice.
junior
Green Herbsman

Post by junior »

hellboy wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:10 pm It's from reddit, from a user that has a history of trolling. Take with a huge dose of salt.

Also I'm not buying into the idea that something kept as secretive as the new Tool release is going to be shared to the world by Adam to some random Tool fan in a comic book store. The idea is laughable to be honest.

Also the idea that he can share details about the tracklist of the album the artwork, etc but the single release date is a big secret? Yeah, right...
That whole story sounds like a big "nope" to me. But again, 2 of the song titles sound right.
children
Metalologist

Post by children »

Calfium Jay wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:25 pm So is Rush.

:|

Nah man, Rush is pure heart and soul. They walked probably the most righteous path of any band ever. Wholesome and probably the only band I can think of that has been around since the 70's and has regularly put out quality album after quality album for decades and decades and never got stale, always kept it fresh and adventurous. No one can compete with their consistency or chemistry. Magical chemistry! That bass playing! Neil's groove!

There was a quote from Jack Black I think in a documentary about Rush a while back where he talks about the well of creativity that bands have. Some bands run of juice after their first couple albums, but Rush had what seemed like an endless supply that was overflowing that they didn't know what to do with.

Somehow each Rush song has its own unique thing that sounds like nothing else they had done before. They did so much with just drums, bass, guitar, synth, while keeping it simple and serving the song, at least in their later periods when they stopped doing 20 minute songs and packaged their songs into mind-blowing little 4 or 5 minutes.

Sometimes a Rush song will catch me off guard suddenly, and instantly put me in a trance and they will be doing some interesting textural thing with the bass or something that is tickling my third eye and driving my senses wild.

Seriously, if some of guys don't like Rush, I would recommend just downloading literally all of their music and tossing it in with whatever you listen to normally. Then take a heavy dose of psylocibin mushrooms and see what happens. Eventually you will stumble across the one Rush song that unlocks the part of your brain that was always meant to like Rush since the beginning of time. Not joking...
Busty McCracken
Lord Festivus

Post by Busty McCracken »

Bill Hilly wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:36 pm
Busty McCracken wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:20 pm Yep I mentioned on different thread last week that Deftones & QOTSA are two bands I could never really get into.
I'm just copying everything you say on here lately. :D
Haha. Gold
Listen to All Them Witches
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

@ Hellboy - yeah, all of that resonates, (except for not ultimately loving Radiohead! But that’s where the subjectivity comes into it)

I was going to elaborate in my original post but didn’t want to write a book (Children, looking at you buddy...;^). Seeing a band play new material live is a huge determinant. Seeing EtE songs live improved my appreciation for them greatly.

Thanks for adding your thoughts people. Very interesting topic for me.
Ki77aan :twisted:
children
Metalologist

Post by children »

I could actually write a book if anybody wanted to know what I think about each and every artist that I deem worthy of analysis. I had to cut those posts short lol
children
Metalologist

Post by children »

I saw EtE songs played live before the album dropped, so once it did, my ears were already all warmed up and ready to receive. Those songs sound really big live.

People complain about how clean the album sounds and think it's overproduced, but I think that is just how the songs are because they sounded just like the performances, although you can never truly capture what a live performance sounds like in person.

That album did require a bit of growing pains too, but I like something I have never quite heard before when an artist is treading territory no one has been. I think it is a fine piece of work and can stand alongside the rest of their music. It will continue to grow in my pysche as the years go on, and down the line some of you will change your minds on it and discover little nuggets of what you love about APC in there.
tys0n
Streeper

Post by tys0n »

This Rush song always resonated with me

Canned audience laughter
children
Metalologist

Post by children »

Because you are balding, or have balded? Lol
limeygringo
Green Herbsman

Post by limeygringo »

Kittaan wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:01 pm JPJ is one of the most underrated bassists in rock.
Preach! Thanks to Them Crooked Vultures, I got to see him play a bass with a touch screen, and a mandolin, and either a Wurlitzer or Rhodes or something, and it rocked! I'm fine with him being the only member of Zeppelin I'll ever see live.

Did I ask you if you've read Giraffes On Horseback Salad (given your Dali avatar)?
children wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:58 pm Blink 182 recorded better sounding songs in their garage than DT using the best studios in the world for their "songs" if that's what you want to call them.

I have just recently discovered how good Steve Vai is though.
HaHA! I havent heard that much Dream Theater, and I do have a huge respect for their musicianship on a technical level, but when you compare them to Rush and Porcupine Tree, I can't help but think that quote of yours is 100% spot on. I'm sure they probably have a handful of good tunes, but I hate the macho attitude of musical virtuosity. It's like adding water to alcohol, or vice versa. Just mutes the purpose.

I barely listen to Vai either. But I've had to teach the Halo theme he did with Nile Rodgers a couple times, and it's pretty fun.
Ahhh, Infotainment!
tys0n
Streeper

Post by tys0n »

children wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:40 pm Because you are balding, or have balded? Lol
I razored it 10 years ago
Canned audience laughter
children
Metalologist

Post by children »

And it never grew back?
tys0n
Streeper

Post by tys0n »

Bald is beautiful
Canned audience laughter
children
Metalologist

Post by children »

Of course
children
Metalologist

Post by children »

[/quote]
children wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:58 pm Blink 182 recorded better sounding songs in their garage than DT using the best studios in the world for their "songs" if that's what you want to call them.

I have just recently discovered how good Steve Vai is though.
HaHA! I havent heard that much Dream Theater, and I do have a huge respect for their musicianship on a technical level, but when you compare them to Rush and Porcupine Tree, I can't help but think that quote of yours is 100% spot on. I'm sure they probably have a handful of good tunes, but I hate the macho attitude of musical virtuosity. It's like adding water to alcohol, or vice versa. Just mutes the purpose.

I barely listen to Vai either. But I've had to teach the Halo theme he did with Nile Rodgers a couple times, and it's pretty fun.
[/quote]

Yeah like I can respect the complexity of it, but it becomes an exercise of the brain rather than musical enjoyment, and I find myself getting bored because of its lack of real emotion.

It can be "interesting" mathematically at times but not something I want to spend my precious little time on Earth listening to. There are literally thousands of other bands that are more worth my time..
thekillingjoke
Fanboi

Post by thekillingjoke »

Kittaan wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:01 pm This is a fascinating topic for me. Any opinions? Please provide some examples.
Iron Maiden is probably the only band that I actively wanted to like (or at least "get") and couldn't for quite a while. This was in the early 90s.
I could not stand Bruces voice, the overly dramatic vibrato, and the music itself sounded kind of thin to me, compared to other metal I was listening to at the time. But since Maiden were considered basically the holy grail of metal, I wanted to get it.

What cut the knot for me were Bruces solo albums in the late 90s, Accident Of Birth & The Chemical Wedding.
By then his voice hat matured and was a bit more down to earth. When he went back to Maiden and they released the Rock in Rio video, that was the key to Maiden for me and I could work by way backwards to the 80s classics from there.

Actually several times live records have been my first step to get into bands that I didn't like that much before.
Same with Rush... and Toto. :D
M0G
Lungsmen

Post by M0G »

I am reporting all of you to the mods how dare you go off topic I can’t believe you even consider yourself to be real Tool fans.

Thank goodness we have these new members from reddit who truly understand what Tool is about.
The most intelligent person on this forum
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

Spoken like a true Typical Tool Fan
Bill Hilly
Droner
Location: Leavenworth Penitentiary - Dishonorably discharged from Tool Army

Post by Bill Hilly »

"I'm kind of a big dill." - Schlong Burgundy
mattw
Geacon

Post by mattw »

Just wondering when you think we will be given some new info about the album i.e. album name, song titles, track lengths (maybe?), additional tour dates, purchase options e.g. cd, streaming, iTunes etc.

Someone mentioned the AT&T Center in San Antonio possibly hosting TOOL shows between November 11 and 17 so I hope more possible dates are on the way here. I think a little October/November/December new album tour would be very nice :)

August 30 is only 7 weeks from tomorrow... I'm hoping we get some new details by the end of July. I'm somewhat excited 8-)
bob
Toast

Post by bob »

Rush was the first band i ever saw live (Hold Your Fire Tour in Toronto 1988) they were my first real favourite band. Before that i heard Motley,Def Leppard,Quiet Riot, all that was cool enough for its time but once i heard Rush that blew everything else away for the most part.

Tysons got the fivehead too ? ya buddy, i hear ya on that one! i got the reverse Q-tip sorta deal going on right now. haha. i'll shave it down again one day. never to the scalp though.