Random Tool Social Media thread

The Main Event
thekillingjoke
Fanboi

Re: Random Tool Social Media thread

Post by thekillingjoke »

I'm really not too keen on the golden lettering. Seems kind of cheesy to me, like a 90s video game package design.
limeygringo
Green Herbsman

Post by limeygringo »

Danny wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:53 pm @ziggy23 That photo is amazing, great job if you did it.

At least we had a fun day with a few laughs on this thread.I do like history, be it medieval or ancient, it seems the album has a history related theme which i’m ok with.

Did anyone like that Chöd logo more than this new one?
I thought the Chöd logo was clever. I liked the design. I think the real one has a lot more thought put into it though.

Am I only the only one who thought Medieval/Game Of Thrones font before Egyptian?

This what I think of when I think Egyptian font:

Or this:

But supposedly it's a Crowley thing
Ahhh, Infotainment!
Takeo
Has been

Post by Takeo »

My eyes went to the structure more so than the font. The structure being a three dimensional brass skeleton key or similar “tool”. I wonder if the logo is a raised adornment on the packaging.
Boldizar
Optomist

Post by Boldizar »

I think it looks arabian, Egyptian, Steampunk, Medieval, at least. My first thought was that it looked like a design on an entry gate.
I know the pieces fit, I studied the numbers in Southern France.
rshforgothispw
Fornicraster

Post by rshforgothispw »

Mk_gmbl wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:01 am Here is a version I brightened way more. There are a few more "letters" at the end I didnt see before. Also looks lower case possibly? Image
I see;

B 1 8 O C W XorU

the last two letters seem shaded to make them less legible. I would guess jumbled up also or maybe upside down.

Given them saying MMXIX earlier could be a different date B.C?
PulsedHalo
Has been

Post by PulsedHalo »

It's not enough. I need more.
bob
Toast

Post by bob »

the mirrored images combined together was kind of cool. someone pushed that together more and it looks more like COD. the fish posters! adam must have pet fish now or something ;)

there is an eyeball in the centre though which seems like something. looks a little too much like the APC logo but f'd if i know. heads spinning reading all this.
Attachments
67204200_2824509354244339_3167152731391524864_n.jpg
67204200_2824509354244339_3167152731391524864_n.jpg (6.12 KiB) Viewed 7477 times
tiresias
Has been

Post by tiresias »

It clearly says CD with the fish in the middle. The text is new-age hieroglyphics, the Art lately has been evocative of imperial Rome (the Adi Granov Roman bust with skeleton was a replica of a bronze of Hadrian found at a Roman military archaeological site in Israel), invincible mentions Caligula. They are clearly evoking the collapse of empire (Egyptian, Roman, British, American) with the Art and I expect the themes to evoke imperial ruin once the album is released.
“Casual Fan”
snazzlefrass
Shankdagger
Height: 7.5inches

Post by snazzlefrass »

Holy fuck they’re really messing with us. They know we are all starving for info so they’re giving us bits and pieces. Those fucking guys, I’m telling ya.
SteveBobSteve
snazzlefrass
Shankdagger

Post by snazzlefrass »

Also you can see the lettering in the animated version too. The lettering starts out together then spreads out as the animation runs.
SteveBobSteve
liz
Lunchinator

Post by liz »

"To surround anything, however monstrous or ridiculous, with an air of mystery, is to invest it with a secret charm, and power of attraction which to the crowd is irresistible."
"She's a very charming and delightful creature, and has only one fault that I know of. It happens, unfortunately, that that single blemish is a want of taste. She don't like me."
snazzlefrass
Shankdagger

Post by snazzlefrass »

Yeah they know what they’re doing. Its one big tease. Hey maybe that’s the title!
SteveBobSteve
bob
Toast

Post by bob »

snazzlefrass wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 4:36 pm Holy fuck they’re really messing with us. They know we are all starving for info so they’re giving us bits and pieces. Those fucking guys, I’m telling ya.
kinda, were f'n with ourselves more thinking about it,ripping it apart, actually joining it together, trying to come up with a new language or something. i just see an eye..thats all for today : ]
snazzlefrass
Shankdagger

Post by snazzlefrass »

It’s been 13 years. If I went 13yrs without sex I’d be humping trees left and right. Sechs
SteveBobSteve
children
Metalologist

Post by children »

Looks like Chöd could actually be the title. Not so bad really. According to Wikipedia it means "Cutting Through the Ego."

Not sure if anyone mentioned that besides it being a Buddhist practice. It does go pretty well with everything Tool stands for, but at the same time I don't see Tool naming their album something that is strictly Buddhist.

This all could be a really great joke on us, or it is in fact Chöd; either way, I am ok with it.
"That's what you get when you argue with children..." -Tyson
tys0n
Streeper

Post by tys0n »

I thought the new logo would inspire some spiritual awakening in you children.
Canned audience laughter
liz
Lunchinator

Post by liz »

If it is Chöd then the chod/chode interplay is part of the fun and certainly not without precedent.
"She's a very charming and delightful creature, and has only one fault that I know of. It happens, unfortunately, that that single blemish is a want of taste. She don't like me."
snazzlefrass
Shankdagger

Post by snazzlefrass »

Yeah it seems a band with a phallic wrench as their first logo would be expected to do something like name their album Chöd.
SteveBobSteve
bob
Toast

Post by bob »

agreed, i dont think they would directly take a buddhist term and use it like that either. i dont think ''chods'' the name, its fun trying to look into things but im sure a lot of it is just wrong.

one thing though, the Doop thing people are seeing is actually the name of an Enochian angle. coincedence ? maybe. Doop: A minor angel ruled by Cbalpt Arbiz. or have i been duped!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doop
snazzlefrass
Shankdagger

Post by snazzlefrass »

bob wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:47 pm one thing though, the Doop thing people are seeing is actually the name of an Enochian angle.

An obtuse or acute angle? I’m privy for right ones, myself.
Last edited by snazzlefrass on Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SteveBobSteve
limeygringo
Green Herbsman

Post by limeygringo »

bob wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:47 pm agreed, i dont think they would directly take a buddhist term and use it like that either. i dont think ''chods'' the name, its fun trying to look into things but im sure a lot of it is just wrong.

one thing though, the Doop thing people are seeing is actually the name of an Enochian angle. coincedence ? maybe. Doop: A minor angel ruled by Cbalpt Arbiz. or have i been duped!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doop
He's also a member of X-Force

Ahhh, Infotainment!
limeygringo
Green Herbsman

Post by limeygringo »

I think Chöd has been officially debunked:

The logo is NOT the same

The title appears to be hidden in the Facebook cover photo version of the new logo, which definitely is not Chöd
Ahhh, Infotainment!
bob
Toast

Post by bob »

snazzlefrass wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:01 pm
bob wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:47 pm one thing though, the Doop thing people are seeing is actually the name of an Enochian angle.

An obtuse or acute angle? I’m privy for right ones, myself.
haha. i didnt get what you were saying at first but i see now... ooh geeeze!

i like that green frog like potatoe thing. maybe that will be in the album too!
nxrm
Dan's Alias

Post by nxrm »

"Be Sure To Drink Your Ovaltine"

Only 39 days, days, days,...
So Long, and Thanks for All the Tool.
Bill Hilly
Droner
Location: Leavenworth Penitentiary - Dishonorably discharged from Tool Army

Post by Bill Hilly »

Either way, I think Chöd will become a part of Tool lore. Well done to the troll that came up with the idea.

What's up Norm! I'm still holding strong too. 39 days left.
"I'm kind of a big dill." - Schlong Burgundy