Random Tool Social Media thread

The Main Event
Boldizar
Optomist

Re: Random Tool Social Media thread

Post by Boldizar »

Boldizar wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:22 pm I am downloading the HDtracks versions now. They come with PDF booklets too which will be cool to see.
It's just the cover art, but great quality.
I know the pieces fit, I studied the numbers in Southern France.
tys0n
Streeper

Post by tys0n »

Undertow and Aenima album covers are low quality scans, fantastic
Canned audience laughter
liz
Lunchinator

Post by liz »

tys0n wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:35 pm Undertow and Aenima album covers are low quality scans, fantastic
Yeah they'll be crap to listen to.
"She's a very charming and delightful creature, and has only one fault that I know of. It happens, unfortunately, that that single blemish is a want of taste. She don't like me."
themx
Maynard Believer

Post by themx »

I’m not completely sure yet, but i think 10.000 Days on Tidal sounds different/better than the CD version. More dynamics and clarity. Maybe they did in fact remaster it?

Maybe they did new 44/16 versions when they mastered the 96/24 versions for HDTracks?
Boldizar
Optomist

Post by Boldizar »

tys0n wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:35 pm Undertow and Aenima album covers are low quality scans, fantastic
Same with the HD tracks version. A nice high res scan of a dirty Undertow cover with fingerprints on it.
rshforgothispw
Fornicraster

Post by rshforgothispw »

To be honest, that’s how my undertow cd booklet looked in the shitty cracked case haha
Boldizar
Optomist

Post by Boldizar »

It looks like Tool plans to sell the downloads on their site given it's inclusion on the smarturl
Ettan
Dopocalyptic
Height: 190cm

Post by Ettan »

Feels surreal to listen to them on Spotify!
Takeo
Has been

Post by Takeo »

My first track on Tool radio Pandora was Lateralus. Then APC. :)
limeygringo
Green Herbsman

Post by limeygringo »

themx wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:44 pm I’m not completely sure yet, but i think 10.000 Days on Tidal sounds different/better than the CD version. More dynamics and clarity. Maybe they did in fact remaster it?

Maybe they did new 44/16 versions when they mastered the 96/24 versions for HDTracks?
Tidal is HD, I'm really anxious to hear it on there. I don't know why I'm even bothering with Spotify honestly.
Ahhh, Infotainment!
thekillingjoke
Fanboi

Post by thekillingjoke »

Listening to Opiate on Spotify now - the subtle compression brings out some details I've never noticed before, just little things like background noise. It's interesting, even a bit weird to have music that I have listened so much to changed like that. Guess I'll have to listen to the whole catalog now to see what's different.
Boldizar
Optomist

Post by Boldizar »

limeygringo wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:18 pm
themx wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:44 pm I’m not completely sure yet, but i think 10.000 Days on Tidal sounds different/better than the CD version. More dynamics and clarity. Maybe they did in fact remaster it?

Tidal is HD, I'm really anxious to hear it on there. I don't know why I'm even bothering with Spotify honestly.
The HDtracks are even higher quality and they sound fantastic. The additional clarity and definition is incredible. This was a really nice surprise.
Bill Hilly
Droner
Location: Leavenworth Penitentiary - Dishonorably discharged from Tool Army

Post by Bill Hilly »

That's awesome to hear Boldizar. I'm interested. Also, Limey how is Tidal?
"I'm kind of a big dill." - Schlong Burgundy
ziggy23
Stink Wizard

Post by ziggy23 »

- You like noisy music?
- Yes. The louder the better. Stops me from thinking.
- You don't like to think? What do you like?
- Never thought about it.
themx
Maynard Believer

Post by themx »

If you pay for the more expensive subscription Tidal is generally 44/16 (CD-Quality).
Only select albums („Tidal Masters“) are available in HD (mqa format).

The Tool stuff is just CD-Quality. Maybe the HD versions will come later?
mattw
Geacon

Post by mattw »

That new Opiate cover pic is fucking cool! :)
ms2r
Uncle Fucker

Post by ms2r »

Boldizar wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:26 pm

The HDtracks are even higher quality and they sound fantastic. The additional clarity and definition is incredible. This was a really nice surprise.
Better quality then what? Can't imagine being better then CD quality. I really doubt tool remastered the catalogue.

Better then Spotify and YouTube I do think so, yes. But for listening in the car they'll do their job.

Also: who still has the same audio system as in 2001-2006?
children
Metalologist

Post by children »

So what if when they upload Salival, they upload part 2 as well, and then we get new Opiate with video and Pot video too! Then we get Invincible with new artwork revealed!
"That's what you get when you argue with children..." -Tyson
Boldizar
Optomist

Post by Boldizar »

96kHz/24bit is the equivalent to SACD (Super Audio). Lots of people are claiming these or other of the digital versions are remastered, but I disagree. All they did for these was make available higher resolution files than what was used on ths CDs.

These definitely won't work in the car as you need specific hardware or drivers to play the files, unless cars come equipped for it.
Danny
Has been

Post by Danny »

There’s an app called Roon, the audiophiles love it, it has very cool features, very expensive though.
I forgot my pen
bob
Toast

Post by bob »

ms2r wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:40 pm
Boldizar wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:26 pm

Better quality then what? Can't imagine being better then CD quality. I really doubt tool remastered the catalogue.

Better then Spotify and YouTube I do think so, yes. But for listening in the car they'll do their job.

Also: who still has the same audio system as in 2001-2006?
24 bit files are better quality then 16 bit (cd) there is a difference. it depends how its mastered/compressed too. on average ive found 24 files to sound better. more bass makes its way to the sound which is lacking in 16 bit often. if its too compressed it doesnt matter what it is, it will sound like garbage imo. im really curious to check this out in 24 bit. i wasnt sure they were going to do that. cool!

yep. i still use my mini stereo from freakin christmas of 95. the cd player broke the 2nd year i had it and the cassette 5 or so years that. i use it as a receiver though and it does what i need just fine. last year the LED light panel on the front got substantially darker but i manage. it owes me nothing at this point! knock on wood cause i still want to use it!
children
Metalologist

Post by children »

Why is Lateralus the only one with TOOL on the album cover? They are covering up the best cover lol!
children
Metalologist

Post by children »

Aenima has no detail; it's just a plain black background, and Undertow looks like it actually has dust on it lol! It really does look like fingerprints too. I love it!
lukas
Geacon

Post by lukas »

bob wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:56 pm 24 bit files are better quality then 16 bit (cd) there is a difference. it depends how its mastered/compressed too. on average ive found 24 files to sound better. more bass makes its way to the sound which is lacking in 16 bit often. if its too compressed it doesnt matter what it is, it will sound like garbage imo. im really curious to check this out in 24 bit. i wasnt sure they were going to do that. cool!

yep. i still use my mini stereo from freakin christmas of 95. the cd player broke the 2nd year i had it and the cassette 5 or so years that. i use it as a receiver though and it does what i need just fine. last year the LED light panel on the front got substantially darker but i manage. it owes me nothing at this point! knock on wood cause i still want to use it!
most people do not own devices that can properly play 24 bit files - your stereo needs a DAC that supports it. basically the differences you hear are made up by your subconcious. check out this article if the topic is something you are interested in: "high resolution audio makes no sense".
tys0n
Streeper

Post by tys0n »

I can't fucking find my astell & kern ak jr!
Canned audience laughter