Random Tool Social Media thread

The Main Event
thekillingjoke
Fanboi

Re: Random Tool Social Media thread

Post by thekillingjoke »

Niiice! I have a 192KHz/24bit audio interface that just has found a new purpose in life.
jackob2545
My pain is just an excuse

Post by jackob2545 »

nxrm wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:26 pm
Bill Hilly wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:22 pm
nxrm wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:19 pm I can restrain myself from listening, but I can't keep away from the forum. :lol:
Right, it's also going to make it tougher if a new music video accompanies it.
No way they have a video ready with the single. No way.

But...if so...ah man...talk about a dilemma. :lol:
Arent videos technically “watching” not “listening” :lol:

Stay strong. We’ve come this far to break now. Imagine how sweet it’ll be in just a few short weeks to blast this new stuff completely blind! Something so rare in today’s society.

I think the new HD releases will suffice 29 days.
Bill Hilly
Droner
Location: Leavenworth Penitentiary - Dishonorably discharged from Tool Army

Post by Bill Hilly »

Right on Jackob! I haven't heard from Specter yet, but I'd bet that he's going to hang in there too.
"I'm kind of a big dill." - Schlong Burgundy
bob
Toast

Post by bob »

lukas wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 12:12 am
bob wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:56 pm 24 bit files are better quality then 16 bit (cd) there is a difference. it depends how its mastered/compressed too. on average ive found 24 files to sound better. more bass makes its way to the sound which is lacking in 16 bit often. if its too compressed it doesnt matter what it is, it will sound like garbage imo. im really curious to check this out in 24 bit. i wasnt sure they were going to do that. cool!

yep. i still use my mini stereo from freakin christmas of 95. the cd player broke the 2nd year i had it and the cassette 5 or so years that. i use it as a receiver though and it does what i need just fine. last year the LED light panel on the front got substantially darker but i manage. it owes me nothing at this point! knock on wood cause i still want to use it!
most people do not own devices that can properly play 24 bit files - your stereo needs a DAC that supports it. basically the differences you hear are made up by your subconcious. check out this article if the topic is something you are interested in: "high resolution audio makes no sense".
you can burn 24 bit files to a dvd that will play on a dvd/bluray player. there is differences regardless. Mothers Milk by the chili peppers in 24 bit has a lot more bass then the CD version. not a trick. whatever peoples ears like is what matters. a file with more information is going to have more information but anyway. the bit depth isnt all that matters but i made that clear before. compression and how loud something is "the loudness wars'' is the worse thing that happened to music. but cool. i can sitll check the article out. im open.
Ettan
Dopocalyptic
Height: 190cm

Post by Ettan »

Aenima sounds amazing on Spotify, much more depth and clarity. Is it placebo?
liz
Lunchinator

Post by liz »

As soon as a new track is up I'm listening. I'm all for holding out for a properly produced product but once its here, not touching it until I can play in in its album order is akin to self flagellation in my book.
"She's a very charming and delightful creature, and has only one fault that I know of. It happens, unfortunately, that that single blemish is a want of taste. She don't like me."
lukas
Geacon

Post by lukas »

bob wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 1:00 am Mothers Milk by the chili peppers in 24 bit has a lot more bass then the CD version. not a trick.
the extra bass was due to a remaster.
bob
Toast

Post by bob »

lukas wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 1:17 am
bob wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 1:00 am Mothers Milk by the chili peppers in 24 bit has a lot more bass then the CD version. not a trick.
the extra bass was due to a remaster.
could of been! i agree with that. whatever people like is what matters. obviously!
Last edited by bob on Fri Aug 02, 2019 2:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
tys0n
Streeper

Post by tys0n »

Ettan wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 1:01 am Aenima sounds amazing on Spotify, much more depth and clarity. Is it placebo?
I did a tidal premium trial and am hearing shit on 10,000 days I haven't heard before so who knows.
Canned audience laughter
Danny
Has been

Post by Danny »

It would be fantastic if we get more than songs and music videos on the official Tool YouTube channel.

Professionally shot live performances would be cool for those of us who live in countries where Tool doesn’t tour.
I forgot my pen
Pimple
Green Herbsman

Post by Pimple »

tys0n wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 1:30 am
Ettan wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 1:01 am Aenima sounds amazing on Spotify, much more depth and clarity. Is it placebo?
I did a tidal premium trial and am hearing shit on 10,000 days I haven't heard before so who knows.
Strange I was listening to Aenima on the way home from work and thought it sounded fantastic, then thought maybe I was just excited to hear it on Spotify.
Be good to each other.
mattw
Geacon

Post by mattw »

These new files sound fantastic... it's all very exciting to hear the old stuff coming through my speakers knowing that in a few weeks we can add Fear Inoculum to the catalog.
Shed523
Geacon

Post by Shed523 »

Seeing the new cover of Opiate got me excited until I realized it was JUST the cover but... hot damn listening to Reflection on the drive in this morning brought a fucking tear to my eye! Sounded great and Wow that song is in my Top 3 Top 5 for sure. Right up there with 10,000 days, Lateralus, Third eye
All well Whatever, Nevermind
mattw
Geacon

Post by mattw »

Yeah Reflection is underrated given how majestic it is... I was so intrigued back in the day (2001) with how mysterious it sounded at first and how it just builds and builds... and the lyrics or theme is possibly Maynard's best work. I love the analogy its built upon and the insights or wisdom that shine through (pun intended) in his lyrics.
rshforgothispw
Fornicraster

Post by rshforgothispw »

Yeah D/R/T is so powerful. I’m hoping the climax of FEAR INOCULUM has something similar. If descending is the closer I’ll be cool w that.
Ettan
Dopocalyptic
Height: 190cm

Post by Ettan »

mattw wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 5:29 am Yeah Reflection is underrated given how majestic it is... I was so intrigued back in the day (2001) with how mysterious it sounded at first and how it just builds and builds... and the lyrics or theme is possibly Maynard's best work. I love the analogy its built upon and the insights or wisdom that shine through (pun intended) in his lyrics.
Yep. Reflection is among top 5 Tool songs for me, the 4 others always changes. Just such a cool tribal sounding song, and the lyrics.. I won't go there.
tys0n
Streeper

Post by tys0n »

Just like Descending, Reflection doesn't have Maynard in it that much but when he's there, he's there. The only difference he's absent at the start instead of the end.
Canned audience laughter
mattw
Geacon

Post by mattw »

^Nice observation of the contrast between the two tracks.

Reflection had me hooked back in the day; I just kept listening to it over and over again. When I first heard Lateralus, I loved The Grudge, Schism and Lateralus as individual songs but Reflection and the whole D/R/T thing kept going through my head. Seeing it live was sick:

This clip features Adam Jones playing the last bit over and over again for 4 extra minutes... it pretty much reflects (again, pun intended) what my brain was doing back in the day... and notice the horizontal shifting repeat image projected in the video screens behind the band. Something deep is elicited here :)
tys0n
Streeper

Post by tys0n »

Yeah seeing Adam playing the ending riff over and over has to be the one major thing I remember from seeing em live on the Lateralus tour.

Just standing there, solitary, dun dun dan dun dun.

Awesome sauce.
Canned audience laughter
Busty McCracken
Lord Festivus

Post by Busty McCracken »

I remember before reflection started after disposition Justin's bass literally hitting me in the face. The sound wave could be felt. Others around me and myself had that holy shit what was that moment when it happened. Good times
Listen to All Them Witches
Shed523
Geacon

Post by Shed523 »

Great vid! The following night was my First TOOL show! 9/21/01 and then again on the 22nd! Back to back for my first two!
All well Whatever, Nevermind
tys0n
Streeper

Post by tys0n »

Busty McCracken wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 6:14 am I remember before reflection started after disposition Justin's bass literally hitting me in the face. The sound wave could be felt. Others around me and myself had that holy shit what was that moment when it happened. Good times
Do you also remember how good Danny's bass drum sounded at the start of Eulogy? Shook the entire building!
Last edited by tys0n on Fri Aug 02, 2019 6:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Canned audience laughter
Pimple
Green Herbsman

Post by Pimple »

That was an awesome clip, I had not seen that one before.
Be good to each other.
rinkwhopper
Has been

Post by rinkwhopper »

I know it's only been about 9 hours, but I was surprised to be among the first 100-300 viewers on the Opiate YouTube videos.
rshforgothispw
Fornicraster

Post by rshforgothispw »

What I would give to hear eulogy live