Random Tool Social Media thread

The Main Event
Boldizar
Optomist

Re: Random Tool Social Media thread

Post by Boldizar »

brianlikesmovies wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:43 am
tys0n wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:11 am Adam -'We're not trying to worry about if it's going to be accepted or is it gonna to be like the last record"

Damn, he knew it was panned, probably why they took so long this time.
The fuck you talkin about 'panned'? 10,000 days got alot of good reception, its just hard to one up Lateralus. And, in my opinion, is a incredible record.
To me, this is Adam admitting the truth but associating it to a different perspective instead. He's right to question the quality of Days, it's arrangements are rushed, lazy, forced and the lyrics reflect that. The only song that benefitted from the session was Rosetta Stoned, which actually does good, purposeful things with all those factors

It's good to see band recognition of the album's shortcomings. He's got nothing to worry about if Invincible & Descending art any indicator.

EDIT: hellboy is right, the context of these words as portrayed by Revolver have ambiguous context. He could be saying "will it be accepted or is this our last record," where "like" is just the filler usage and not explicitly comparative.
Last edited by Boldizar on Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
I know the pieces fit, I studied the numbers in Southern France.
Boldizar
Optomist

Post by Boldizar »

Over the years I've realized that Danny's occult speak was something he developed from a hobby into a rhetrorical art and source for rnterviews. It's his own Lachrymology.
You can't just sit down and draw a seven -sided figure wïth a compass. You have to figure out the angles and think about it. So there is a little more thought put into these songs.
That is the finest bullshit I think he's ever crafted, top-shelf rhetorical skill, oozing pretentiousness. Hilarious.

Also thanks bob!
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

Panned? Only by insufferable retards and Pitchfork. You're reading way too much into that statement from Adam if you think he's unhappy with how 10k Days turned out.

Good interview in Revolver, though I'd have liked to have heard more about the album
tys0n
Streeper

Post by tys0n »

At the time it was NOT accepted by a lot of fans and was panned, even called a decoy album.

Adam basically just said it himself in his statement, it's there in black and white.

It was NOT accepted and praised like aenima or laturalus and obviously Adam felt that.
Canned audience laughter
mattw
Geacon

Post by mattw »

Nah I think the general feeling was that it was a good album, but not exceptional, and fans were happy to see TOOL back again. There'll always be plenty of initial negativity on the internet as a way of getting attention but most reviews were fairly positive, it sold a lot of copies (500k in its first week) and eventually went platinum. Perhaps it received a 'lukewarm' response from some fans but I don't think many people panned it or considered a major disappointment. Vicarious and The Pot were nominated for Grammy awards in consecutive years and the album won for best recording package. Yes, that's just artwork, but I'm not getting the same vibe from Adam's comment here as you are.

Anyway, as someone has already said, if Descending and Invincible are examples of expected quality then I think we are in for something pretty special come August 30... at least that's my take
liz
Lunchinator

Post by liz »

Fortunately I was not on boards with "fans" when that album was released. So all I knew (and still do) was that it was a magnificent achievement.

The like button never encouraged greatness.
"She's a very charming and delightful creature, and has only one fault that I know of. It happens, unfortunately, that that single blemish is a want of taste. She don't like me."
Boldizar
Optomist

Post by Boldizar »

Did they seriously have to insert that bullshit rape accusation into Maynard's intro (or even at all)? Pandering garbage.
tys0n
Streeper

Post by tys0n »

Not sure who that is pandering to but yes it is garbage and no need to be said.
Canned audience laughter
Shed523
Geacon

Post by Shed523 »

I remember Adam saying similar things about Lateralus. How he loved NINs The Fragile and how it wasn’t received well by fans and that it is something to think about just not be concerned with.
All well Whatever, Nevermind
rinkwhopper
Has been

Post by rinkwhopper »

I think when he says "be like the last record", he means it sounding like the last record.
tys0n
Streeper

Post by tys0n »

rinkwhopper wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:24 am I think when he says "be like the last record", he means it sounding like the last record.
Yeah OK

Adam -'We're not trying to worry about if it's going to be accepted or is it gonna to be like the last record"
Canned audience laughter
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Man, y'all reading way too much into Adam's statements
brewdog123
RIP

Post by brewdog123 »

cant believe some are trashing 10,000 days. where am i?
ms2r
Uncle Fucker

Post by ms2r »

10,000 Days is their best album. Wings and Rosetta are masterpieces.
liz
Lunchinator

Post by liz »

Justin pretty much says that all the albums prior to this one were rushed or at least things were settled upon.

Basically that are all doing what you do with a new album. Talking it up!
"She's a very charming and delightful creature, and has only one fault that I know of. It happens, unfortunately, that that single blemish is a want of taste. She don't like me."
tys0n
Streeper

Post by tys0n »

brewdog123 wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:29 am cant believe some are trashing 10,000 days. where am i?
2006 when it was released and didn't hit the heights of the previous two.

I wemeber
Canned audience laughter
Boldizar
Optomist

Post by Boldizar »

liz wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:38 am Justin pretty much says that all the albums prior to this one were rushed or at least things were settled upon.

Basically that are all doing what you do with a new album. Talking it up!
This to me was the most memorable section of his interview. Given the new songs, taking their time really seemed to work out and allow them to subvert the issues I had with the last album.
brewdog123
RIP

Post by brewdog123 »

i think its funny that they said "rushed and settled upon". i guess 13 years to make an album is the optimal time frame
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

tys0n wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:40 am
brewdog123 wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:29 am cant believe some are trashing 10,000 days. where am i?
2006 when it was released and didn't hit the heights of the previous two.

I wemeber
Sure, but there's a world of difference between not hitting the heights and getting panned.
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

1. Music appreciation is subjective.
2. Each album They released was compared to those that came before. With the exception of Opiate, obviously.
3. Fans jumped on the Tool train at different points in their career, influencing perception greatly.
4. Why are we fighting about this? It’s like.... pointless. It’s based on opinion.

I am so happy that I found the music of Tool and it resonated with me. They have become my favorite rock band. I like some of their songs more than others. I don’t listen to some of the segues most of the time, but they haven’t written a “bad” song and definitely no bad album. Sometimes I’m puzzled about other people’s opinions in music appreciation, but so glad that this aspect of life exists. It makes life richer.

That’s my opinion.
Ki77aan :twisted:
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Sure, opinions are subjective. Suggesting it was panned when it's likely 8 out of 10 reviews were positive is misleading.
limeygringo
Green Herbsman

Post by limeygringo »

Every Tool album had it's detractors. "Undertow wasn't as heavy as Opiate", "Lateralus is too positive" etc. With 10k Days I think it just weeded out passive and impatient fans with a new stock. It's amazing how they not only maintained their stronghold as a live act over the last 13 years, but now it's almost like they're more popular than ever. I mean, all albums in the iTunes Top 10, they've finally had their Pink-Floyd-chart-record moment, and who knows what Fear Inoculum's gonna bring.
Ahhh, Infotainment!
basejumper
Droner

Post by basejumper »

limeygringo wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:49 am ...who knows what Fear Inoculum's gonna bring.
^ I think in todays society FI will bring riots in the street and boycotts of Tools music for being so different it certainly cannot be legally listened to!
Professor of Lesbian Science
Boldizar
Optomist

Post by Boldizar »

basejumper wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:08 am
limeygringo wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:49 am ...who knows what Fear Inoculum's gonna bring.
^ I think in todays society FI will bring riots in the street and boycotts of Tools music for being so different it certainly cannot be legally listened to!
Don't forget the swift enforced closure of this forum. It will be all fourtheye's fault for crimes someone else commits.
Danny
Has been

Post by Danny »

Holy shit!
I forgot my pen