Random Tool Social Media thread

The Main Event
User avatar
Kittaan
Rent Freznor
Posts: 4851
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:56 am
Location: , Location, Location!

Re: Random Tool Social Media thread

Post by Kittaan » Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:22 pm

I believe my first major live show was Kiss in ‘77. I don’t remember anything before it. I had just turned 50... ah to be young again.

By the way, completely unrelated, but since this place is so dead lately, I’ll just drop this here... I’m sure someone will dig it. My money is on Junior...

Ki77aan :twisted:

bob
Feral
Posts: 907
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:44 pm

Re: Random Tool Social Media thread

Post by bob » Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:57 am

so your like 100 kitaan ? or just turned 50 recently i guess. so you were around when the first Star Wars hit the scene ? i was only 1 when that happened. it must of been something else to see that when it was first changing everything. i felt the vibe at the theatre with ROTJ and meeting darth vader at the mall a few years or so before that. we waited in line for an hour but when it was my turn to get a pic i freaked out,cried and didnt go.the dude in that outfit was huge. at least i saw it. bah!

DeadGuyAle
of Arimathea
Posts: 68
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:23 pm

Re: Random Tool Social Media thread

Post by DeadGuyAle » Fri Aug 07, 2020 2:56 pm

Kittaan wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:22 pm
I believe my first major live show was Kiss in ‘77. I don’t remember anything before it. I had just turned 50... ah to be young again.
you are pretty hip for a 93 year old! I think you REALLY skew the Tool fan age. :lol:

DeadGuyAle
of Arimathea
Posts: 68
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:23 pm

Re: Random Tool Social Media thread

Post by DeadGuyAle » Fri Aug 07, 2020 2:58 pm

bob wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:57 am
so your like 100 kitaan ? or just turned 50 recently i guess. so you were around when the first Star Wars hit the scene ? i was only 1 when that happened. it must of been something else to see that when it was first changing everything. i felt the vibe at the theatre with ROTJ and meeting darth vader at the mall a few years or so before that. we waited in line for an hour but when it was my turn to get a pic i freaked out,cried and didnt go.the dude in that outfit was huge. at least i saw it. bah!
I was 12 when Star Wars came out. Seems like yesterday. Burger Chef had Star Wars stuff.

bob
Feral
Posts: 907
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:44 pm

Re: Random Tool Social Media thread

Post by bob » Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:00 pm

DeadGuyAle wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 2:58 pm
bob wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:57 am
so your like 100 kitaan ? or just turned 50 recently i guess. so you were around when the first Star Wars hit the scene ? i was only 1 when that happened. it must of been something else to see that when it was first changing everything. i felt the vibe at the theatre with ROTJ and meeting darth vader at the mall a few years or so before that. we waited in line for an hour but when it was my turn to get a pic i freaked out,cried and didnt go.the dude in that outfit was huge. at least i saw it. bah!
I was 12 when Star Wars came out. Seems like yesterday. Burger Chef had Star Wars stuff.
wow, thats awesome. ESB was the first movie i saw in theatre im pretty sure. i vaguely remember it but some parts stand out.

User avatar
ziggy23
Serial Thrilla
Posts: 3570
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:10 am
Location: DON'T PANIC - IT'S PANDEMIC

Re: Random Tool Social Media thread

Post by ziggy23 » Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:03 pm

- You like noisy music?
- Yes. The louder the better. Stops me from thinking.
- You don't like to think? What do you like?
- Never thought about it.

User avatar
ziggy23
Serial Thrilla
Posts: 3570
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:10 am
Location: DON'T PANIC - IT'S PANDEMIC

Re: Random Tool Social Media thread

Post by ziggy23 » Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:26 pm

- You like noisy music?
- Yes. The louder the better. Stops me from thinking.
- You don't like to think? What do you like?
- Never thought about it.

bob
Feral
Posts: 907
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:44 pm

Re: Random Tool Social Media thread

Post by bob » Sat Aug 08, 2020 12:24 am

i wonder if Cevin will post this on youtube. With lessor known names he keeps these on patreon only it seems but sometimes he puts stuff on youtube thats a little more known sort of. hard to say. guess will see.

User avatar
Spoonman
of Arimathea
Posts: 85
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:51 pm

Re: Random Tool Social Media thread

Post by Spoonman » Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:22 pm

That chat was pretty interesting!
Glad to hear that Danny will be releasing a new CD of one of his side projects (Webb Allstars).
I loved the Volto record, so I can't wait to listen to this one 8-)

User avatar
junior
Geacon
Posts: 249
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:11 pm

Re: Random Tool Social Media thread

Post by junior » Wed Aug 12, 2020 5:06 pm

Spoonman wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:22 pm
That chat was pretty interesting!
Glad to hear that Danny will be releasing a new CD of one of his side projects (Webb Allstars).
I loved the Volto record, so I can't wait to listen to this one 8-)
It'll likely be a lot mellower than Volto.
Webb Allstars (named for Doug Webb, saxophonist) tends to lean towards more of a traditional jazz stream. Not saying that's a bad thing, at all, just that it's quite a bit different from Volto. There are always some great players in Doug's groups, so there will be no lack of musicality.
Their sets are usually a bit more horn-based. Freddie Hubbard, Miles Davis, and so on. It's not all down-tempo. Hard-bop and some progressive stuff are in there, too. Guitar is featured, but usually doesn't drive the song.

User avatar
Spoonman
of Arimathea
Posts: 85
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:51 pm

Re: Random Tool Social Media thread

Post by Spoonman » Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:43 pm

Yes, I already heard some of their arrangements on youtube and enjoyed it.

It's a pleasure to hear Danny play some other musical styles :D

User avatar
junior
Geacon
Posts: 249
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:11 pm

Re: Random Tool Social Media thread

Post by junior » Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:49 pm

Spoonman wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:43 pm
Yes, I already heard some of their arrangements on youtube and enjoyed it.

It's a pleasure to hear Danny play some other musical styles :D
Nice.
I just wanted to make sure no-one is expecting something like Volto.

User avatar
ToolFanFromWayBack
Geacon
Posts: 245
Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2014 2:08 am
Height: this tall

Re: Random Tool Social Media thread

Post by ToolFanFromWayBack » Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:44 pm

Speaking of Danny, I was just jamming on my headphones to pneuma and it got to that part where Danny starts wailing on the big drums and I thought, “I really miss that feeling in your chest when you are watching live and Danny literally pummels you for a couple of hours.”

When will concerts come back? What will they look like? Fuck this is depressing.

User avatar
Spoonman
of Arimathea
Posts: 85
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:51 pm

Re: Random Tool Social Media thread

Post by Spoonman » Sat Aug 15, 2020 6:03 am

It is.
I had already bought some tickets for 2020 months ago before this Covid shit and I was going to even get some more.
2020 could have been a really nice year for concerts. Makes me sad to see my Foo Fighters tickets on the bulletin board. :-(

In the chat Danny talked about plans for a Europe tour in 2021. I don't believe it, but I HOPE it will happen...

bob
Feral
Posts: 907
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:44 pm

Re: Random Tool Social Media thread

Post by bob » Sat Aug 15, 2020 6:43 am

Dannys the best at being optimistic but... haha. Everyone loves that dude including me but that part is def kinda funny at this point.

i dont think 2021 is going to happen for big shows either. if a vaccine is available by the end of the year its going to take quite awhile for most people to get it. What if its not that good ? then what ? im honestly not overly worried about it and i think this will move on in a good but it prob will take some time. Smaller shows might happen next year but i cant imagine it will be bands touring everywhere, more local stuff maybe.

Hope you concert dudes like Junior are doing alright through this. i dont want to get too personal but yknow.

User avatar
junior
Geacon
Posts: 249
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:11 pm

Re: Random Tool Social Media thread

Post by junior » Sat Aug 15, 2020 2:07 pm

bob wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 6:43 am
Dannys the best at being optimistic but... haha. Everyone loves that dude including me but that part is def kinda funny at this point.

i dont think 2021 is going to happen for big shows either. if a vaccine is available by the end of the year its going to take quite awhile for most people to get it. What if its not that good ? then what ? im honestly not overly worried about it and i think this will move on in a good but it prob will take some time. Smaller shows might happen next year but i cant imagine it will be bands touring everywhere, more local stuff maybe.

Hope you concert dudes like Junior are doing alright through this. i dont want to get too personal but yknow.
Firstly, thanks for thinking of us.

Without going into too much detail, and trying not to be overly melodramatic, I'd say most touring professionals aren't doing alright. Most of us have dedicated our entire adult lives to this vocation, and learning fairly specific skills, and the "find something new" thing that is being floated out there comes off as fairly weak. In my case, this is all I've done for 32 years. 50 isn't an age to start a new career.
Some people see road crew as people who should just "get a real job", anyway. It's not 100% wrong, but it's far from 100% right.
There are some who did this as "just another job", and/or were bouncing around through various job types, and they'll go find some other thing to do.
Many of us are able to draw unemployment, but that only lasts as long as what you'd payed in, and with the recent loss of the $600 CARES addition it won't amount to a lot on a weekly basis. Some states are in the low $200s.

I've got the possibility of doing some TV work. That industry has started up again in the past month or so, but still in a limited capacity due to all the COVID safety measures. The pace and scale at which things had to happen on sets simply can't be done the way it was. It all has to be done slower and more deliberately, and with less staff to avoid unnecessary contact.
I did one day of work filling in on a TV show ("Celebrity Show-Off") last week, and it's the only work day I've had since the most recent Tool show (Portland, on March 11). It's also the first TV work I've done since December 2018 (one day on "Station 19"), so I'll have to re-build relationships with gaffers and best boys. Much like touring, in the TV world if you're out of sight then you are also out of mind. 20 months is a long time to be invisible.

I know everyone is feeling the sting of what 2020 has handed us. It sucks for almost everyone to varying degrees.
Our entire industry essentially stopped in the middle of March and has no indication of a re-start date. None.
It's difficult to maintain any kind of optimism under these conditions.

I know there are those who are trying new things, such as the drive-in concerts and whatnot, but I don't see a sustainable business model there. How long will people be satisfied with listening to the band through their car radio (although some probably sound better that way) before the gimmick wears off? Also, there's absolutely no way to curtail bootlegging in that scenario, which would be a big issue for some bands.
Production values will have to be greatly reduced in order to reduce overhead costs. This won't matter to some bands and some fans, for sure, but this also brings some side effects. Much less crew will be needed, so you've still got a large portion of the touring workforce who will just be SOL. The Tool tour employed around 70 traveling personnel, which includes the bus and truck drivers. Cut that at least in half for something like these drive-in shows.
Less local stagehands will be needed, so that part of the industry will also continue to take a big hit. The companies who supply all the equipment that the bands don't own (sound, lights, video, lasers, etc.) have had equipment sitting idle in their warehouses for months now, not making the money that was budgeted to pay for it. Most expected to make most of their income in these summer months.
Some of those companies won't make it through this. That also has the side effect of reducing competition amongst those vendors.
It's all a snowball that keeps getting bigger, and it's not good.

That said, I hope we can all make it through this and get back to bringing bands to arenas around the world once again. There are some safe demonstrations being planned throughout the world to try to bring attention to our often overlooked, unique situation. There's already been one in South America and another in the UK, that I know of.
A current project is being organized here: http://www.roadiecare.com

bob
Feral
Posts: 907
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:44 pm

Re: Random Tool Social Media thread

Post by bob » Sat Aug 15, 2020 4:51 pm

wow, dude! thats a lot going on with all that. Not that i didnt realize it but its still cool you posted it like that. Not sure what to say to that really but i signed up for the link you posted and i'll check it out some more later on.

Its good theres attention for your industry like that site. The musicians are probably the only people that dont have to worry too much. The bigger ones anyway but they are only a small part of the whole thing which is why i mentioned it. Good luck with the TV show stuff. I remember you saying something about doing local shows (concerts i think) before last year sometime when your not doing big tours, i think anyway if im remembering right. I figured you'd have something but its not that much sadly like you were saying. what a weird time!

User avatar
ToolFanFromWayBack
Geacon
Posts: 245
Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2014 2:08 am
Height: this tall

Re: Random Tool Social Media thread

Post by ToolFanFromWayBack » Sat Aug 15, 2020 7:47 pm

Junior, thanks so much for putting that into perspective. I will admit that my statement was very selfish as I was only thinking about how it affected me. Unfortunately I think you are right and this is going to take a long time to come back even if a vaccine came out today. I wish you well and I hope the TV stuff picks up, but I have to believe nothing compares to being part of a touring crew.

User avatar
junior
Geacon
Posts: 249
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:11 pm

Re: Random Tool Social Media thread

Post by junior » Sun Aug 16, 2020 3:26 pm

ToolFanFromWayBack wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 7:47 pm
Junior, thanks so much for putting that into perspective. I will admit that my statement was very selfish as I was only thinking about how it affected me. Unfortunately I think you are right and this is going to take a long time to come back even if a vaccine came out today. I wish you well and I hope the TV stuff picks up, but I have to believe nothing compares to being part of a touring crew.
I wouldn't call it selfish. Not being able to have shows sucks for all of us (except for those who don't care about live events) in different ways. Most people don't think about how this affects us tour people.
Here's an article about it that I saw this morning. I think it echoes a few of the things I'd mentioned, and touches on some others.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2020/ ... s-pandemic

User avatar
tiresias
Has been
Posts: 177
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 12:24 am

Re: Random Tool Social Media thread

Post by tiresias » Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:59 am

Thanks for the perspective Junior. I know first hand that Arts, Culture and Entertainment have taken the biggest hit during the pandemic. Social gathering and sharing has been next to impossible during social distancing. I know people who have spiraled out in desperation at the prospect of losing their entire livelihoods in entertainment/music. Scary times. I am hopeful that this will be over sooner than later . Hopefully you can position yourself to be ready when the bacchanalia that will ensue finally gets up and running. This whole thing gives new meaning to the way people behaved in the "Roaring 20s", but also provides a lot of insight into the surrealist art movements, and tendencies towards non-meaning and nihilism. I always felt Tool shows were an antidote to some of that reactionary thought. I look forward to the day when we can all gather and rock out together.
“Casual Fan”

DeadGuyAle
of Arimathea
Posts: 68
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:23 pm

Re: Random Tool Social Media thread

Post by DeadGuyAle » Mon Aug 24, 2020 4:34 am

This isn't about TOOL, but Dave Grohl wrote an article about touring and is pretty good

https://www.theatlantic.com/culture/arc ... ow/611113/

User avatar
Spoonman
of Arimathea
Posts: 85
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:51 pm

Re: Random Tool Social Media thread

Post by Spoonman » Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:42 pm

Dave is the best.

Thanks for that article!

Sprout
My pain is just an excuse
Posts: 63
Joined: Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:33 pm

Re: Random Tool Social Media thread

Post by Sprout » Wed Aug 26, 2020 3:37 pm


User avatar
tys0n
Lord Festivus
Posts: 3369
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:35 pm

Re: Random Tool Social Media thread

Post by tys0n » Wed Aug 26, 2020 3:52 pm

"This is for one of the signed/aged ones and only 79 are being made and are rumored to be sold out already. "

Dude, what?
Canned audience laughter

Sprout
My pain is just an excuse
Posts: 63
Joined: Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:33 pm

Re: Random Tool Social Media thread

Post by Sprout » Wed Aug 26, 2020 4:08 pm

I've seen other comments around the traps of people ordering them through select custom shop dealers already. Bit of a shame it's not some sort of equal chance for everyone to get one, like all go online for sale at a set time... not that I can afford one.

Post Reply