Random Tool Social Media thread

The Main Event
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Re: Random Tool Social Media thread

Post by Kittaan »

N.Y.H.C. wrote:Myung is a better bassist. isn't that what it's all about? let's move on.
I'm not surprised you believe that, but Tyson is clearly fucking around. That's the only reason I responded. It's like Pavlov's dogs... he rings the bell, I start salivating.
Ki77aan :twisted:
MOG
Scissorman

Post by MOG »

Dream Theater sucks worse than Tool. Dream Theater might possibly be the worst band in the history of Rock music. Cracks me up that the member of Tool that got the furthest in these goofy ass polls is Adam Freaking Jones.
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

MOG wrote:Dream Theater sucks worse than Tool. Dream Theater might possibly be the worst band in the history of Rock music. Cracks me up that the member of Tool that got the furthest in these goofy ass polls is Adam Freaking Jones.
No, there are worse rock bands than DT, but they are one of the most pretentious.

I agree, it's surprising that Adam got to the final round. I love what he does, especially his writing, but he's the least technically proficient of the three (Adam, Danny and Justin).
mcnadd
Maynard Believer

Post by mcnadd »

wow that dude can move his fingers a whole lot but no sounds coming out haha.
MOG
Scissorman

Post by MOG »

Kittaan wrote:
MOG wrote:Dream Theater sucks worse than Tool. Dream Theater might possibly be the worst band in the history of Rock music. Cracks me up that the member of Tool that got the furthest in these goofy ass polls is Adam Freaking Jones.
No, there are worse rock bands than DT, but they are one of the most pretentious.

I agree, it's surprising that Adam got to the final round. I love what he does, especially his writing, but he's the least technically proficient of the three (Adam, Danny and Justin).
I completely agree about Adam. His style of playing and tone could not be replaced. I joke and needle the Toolios but I respect the hell out of what Adam brings to Tool as a musician.

What still irks the shit out of me is Danny losing to that fucking piece of shit from Slipknot. Danny rarely gets the respect he deserves. You talk to people in the metal world and he rarely comes up, or is somehow looked down upon because he isn't doing blast beats all the fucking time. You talk to Jazz/Fusion aficionados and they completely disregard the Rock/Metal element to his drumming and somehow that knocks off a mark. What shows for Danny, and what people should pay attention to, is how highly regarded he is amongst other high end drummers. His drumming vocabulary is so fucking exceptionally large and he pulls from multiple genres and what he creates is engaging. Sometimes insanely technical and other times simplistic when called for. As good as he is, there is always a measure of control, a holding back if you will that keeps him from overshadowing what the three of them (fuck Maynard :p) are trying to achieve.

I know you play drums. Any thoughts?
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

MOG wrote:I know you play drums. Any thoughts?
Bassist actually. But I agree on your comments, Danny is well respected by his peers, and doesn't get the recognition he deserves otherwise.

Danny is typically the primary focus for me when listening to Tool. And seeing them live, I find myself having to tear my gaze away from him so I can check out the rest of the action.
inspiration_tactic
Has been

Post by inspiration_tactic »

I've read that Danny can do all of the paradiddles with his feet while doing his polyrhythms with his arms. If you know don't anything about paradiddles-- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rudiment
joey jordison or whoever he is likely hasn't even heard of a paradiddle. Danny's talent is immeasurable which is why he lost. He is too good for the minions to even comprehend what's going on. After he lost the site lost all it's credibility.

With Tool's music, they all rely on Danny to kind of keep them in check if they get lost. With the technical difficulty that is being displayed throughout every song, it's easy to get lost. The lighting, the videos... all rely on Danny to keep his shit together. The dude is the best drummer of any genre.
choose to spiral out... or shut the fuck up
children
Metalologist

Post by children »

Danny is an artist. His drums are simply the "TOOL" in which he conducts his art.

He doesn't hide behind his instrument; he is his instrument; and that goes for every member of TOOL, including Maynard (not Paul).

There is a reason Paul "quit" the band...
"That's what you get when you argue with children..." -Tyson
Calfium Jay
Queric
Height: 189cm

Post by Calfium Jay »

children wrote: There is a reason Paul "quit" the band...
Irreconcilable differences? Confused about his sexuality? Petty insecurities? Delusions of grandeur?

Could you perhaps narrow it down for me?

Personally, I heard it was because Maynard put wasabi on his toothbrush....
'It is time for us to be doing what we have been doing every day. And that time is now'

Actual quote from Kamala Harris
N.Y.H.C.
Serial Thrilla

Post by N.Y.H.C. »

what does Dream Theater sucking have to do with Myung being a better bassist than that fisherman guy from Peach?
Asteroids do not concern me, Admiral. I want that ship, not excuses.
not tyson
Grammy Winner
Height: 186cm

Post by not tyson »

N.Y.H.C. wrote:
what does Dream Theater sucking have to do with Myung being a better bassist than that fisherman guy from Peach?
Straw man!
children
Metalologist

Post by children »

Calfium Jay wrote:
children wrote: There is a reason Paul "quit" the band...
Irreconcilable differences? Confused about his sexuality? Petty insecurities? Delusions of grandeur?

Could you perhaps narrow it down for me?

Personally, I heard it was because Maynard put wasabi on his toothbrush....
First of all, i have no clue what the real story is, but i don't believe Paul actually quit TOOL; I think they kicked him out. Isn't that pretty much the general assumption? Why on Earth would you choose to leave a band that is on the verge of becoming an international success? Does anybody know what the true story is?

We were talking about the "metal competition/poll" and what makes someone a better musician, and we were comparing musicians with actual talent to those "pretentious wankers" who don't deserve to be called musicians. Again, i don't know any of this to be true or not, but Paul might have been leaning towards the latter and that could be the reason for his departure. As fitting as Paul's bass was to the sound of TOOL in the early days, and as much as i enjoyed that wet, gut-wrenching feel he brought to the table, there must have been something about him that was keeping the band from making the music they wanted to and moving on to better things.

I don't think Paul was the bassist TOOL required to continue their evolution and expand as artists, and it was necessary to replace him with Justin in order to do so because Justin is a true musician with real talent and Paul is more of the "loud, fast, angry" type of musician.
MOG
Scissorman

Post by MOG »

N.Y.H.C. wrote:
Not a thing. Although I don't think Myung is a better bassist. I just enjoy taking shots at Dream Theater whenever possible, as often as possible. I actually enjoy making fun of Dream Theater more than I do Tool, which is saying something. Tesseract is a distant third on the shit on list at the moment. DT and Tool are solid 1 and 2.
Ravenpig
Peen Taster

Post by Ravenpig »

@children (and everyone else talking about it)

Paul was indeed fired.

Source: the all Tool issue of Revolver. May Jay said they would say Paul quit so that Paul could save some face.
Hey! Denty!
MOG
Scissorman

Post by MOG »

Ravenpig wrote:@children (and everyone else talking about it)

Paul was indeed fired.

Source: the all Tool issue of Revolver. May Jay said they would say Paul quit so that Paul could save some face.
^ Yup that.

Also what the fuck is children saying about Paul not being a "true musician"? That motherfucker takes stupid to an entirely different level. Paul is an excellent bass player. Opiate and Undertow are outstanding, not to mention his contributions on Aenima prior to him getting fired.
Ravenpig
Peen Taster

Post by Ravenpig »

Paul is an excellent bass player, Opiate and Undertow aren't Opiate and Undertow without him.

The way that part of the interview in the Revolver issue reads it comes off as he was fired for a personal beef, not a professional one.

I know Paul has since done some stuff with May Jay and Danny, so I'm guessing he had some problem with Adam?
Hey! Denty!
MOG
Scissorman

Post by MOG »

Ravenpig wrote:Paul is an excellent bass player, Opiate and Undertow aren't Opiate and Undertow without him.

The way that part of the interview in the Revolver issue reads it comes off as he was fired for a personal beef, not a professional one.

I know Paul has since done some stuff with May Jay and Danny, so I'm guessing he had some problem with Adam?
Quoted from Maynard James Keenan, Revolver's Book of Tool, Page 29
"Aenima was really hard at first. We spent a lot of time chasing our tails in that space, and things weren't happening with Paul D'Amour. Outside of that space it was great. We're friends, we talk, but in there it wasn't working and we had to part ways and let him do his own thing. God bless him, I think he was a victim of indie guilt. The band was getting bigger than he was comfortable with, and he was so much the "anti" guy that he wasn't allowing himself to enjoy the success. To save face, we told everyone that he quit, but he didn't. He was let go."
Ravenpig
Peen Taster

Post by Ravenpig »

Well I guess I remembered the personal/professional part in reverse. But yea, there you go. That is the quote I was talking about.
Hey! Denty!
inspiration_tactic
Has been

Post by inspiration_tactic »

Tool's aura was largely created because of Paul and the dark, four-on-the-floor style of the first two albums. Like they said, they got people's attention with something that was more accessible at first. Obviously they were very angry about a lot of shit leading up to the writing of Opiate/Undertow. I wonder if people would have listened to them as much if Aenima was their first album. It's hard to imagine that album without the Undertow aura that stayed with them.
choose to spiral out... or shut the fuck up
not tyson
Grammy Winner

Post by not tyson »

inspiration_tactic wrote:I wonder if people would have listened to them as much if Aenima was their first album.
Technically Aenima was my first album and Tool's break through album, so yeah.
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

Justin lost.

John Myung Vs. Steve Harris

Myung is winning.
Don't mow your lawn
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

Ah well, it's interesting to see which fan bases are more passionate sometimes.
petemasterpete
Lunchinator
Height: 7" (limp)

Post by petemasterpete »

UndKeineZwEier wrote:Justin lost.
In related news, the new tool record is to be entirely re-written with new bass player, Myung, recruited and proving unstoppable in Justin's absence ... initially, the band perceived his withdrawl to a hidden cave in the Andes to be a journey to enlightenment in an effort to re-ignite his creative spirit by regrowing his hair whilst overcoming the inconsolable nature of such a harrowing defeat. With a definitive return initially scheduled for the new year, he's since gone AWOL, presumed to be selling his body in the backstreet underground black market of a Peruvian human trafficking ring.

Good news being that New Tool Record now expected to hit shelves next week with all credit due to Myung's prolific song writing abilities. Rumor has it, he played all the instruments and even assisted Maynard with most of the record's lyrics; pretty much wrote every track that doesn't revolve around grapes and dead cat's.
well piss on my tits and tell me it's raining
children
Metalologist

Post by children »

MOG wrote:
Ravenpig wrote:Paul is an excellent bass player, Opiate and Undertow aren't Opiate and Undertow without him.

Quoted from Maynard James Keenan, Revolver's Book of Tool, Page 29
"Aenima was really hard at first. We spent a lot of time chasing our tails in that space, and things weren't happening with Paul D'Amour. Outside of that space it was great. We're friends, we talk, but in there it wasn't working and we had to part ways and let him do his own thing. God bless him, I think he was a victim of indie guilt. The band was getting bigger than he was comfortable with, and he was so much the "anti" guy that he wasn't allowing himself to enjoy the success. To save face, we told everyone that he quit, but he didn't. He was let go."
So it was because Paul wasn't "good" enough. They were not able to progress with him as their bass player.

Of course Paul's contribution to TOOL is significant and he was a huge contributor in developing their early sound, but TOOL outgrew him, plain and simple. There were artistic differences and they couldn't continue any further with him. They had no choice but to replace him or fade into oblivion.

...and don't misunderstand me Mog; Paul is a true musician, but perhaps he is more of an average one; at least compared to Justin and the others...
not tyson
Grammy Winner

Post by not tyson »

Paul didn't like success, it had nothing to do with 'talent'