Random Tool Social Media thread

The Main Event
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Re: Random Tool Social Media thread

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

The AV Club just posted a pretty good interview with MJK.

http://www.avclub.com/article/maynard-j ... ing-227469
Don't mow your lawn
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

On an entirely superficial note - it's good to see Justin growing his hair back!
joeypants
Goderator

Post by joeypants »

Having perused the various videos from the show, I'm really pleased. Couple of things I noticed:

-The "new" festival set up or whatever you want to call it is great. Junior did a fucking amazing job, and I'd be over the moon to see this set up in an arena so if this is some kind of "light" set up for a festival then... please bring on whatever they're going to do next. Damn.
-No Quarter! Awesome to see them bring this out but... not really a set opener in my opinion. Tech difficulties and general rustiness didn't help but if you were there I'm sure it was jaw-dropping.
-The Grudge!!! Please mother of god keep this in rotation. Maynard notably skipped the scream but I don't know that it's as much to do with his voice as it is him being rusty. He was clearly lost through a lot of the song and missing cues. Could've happened there, even if the scream would've no doubt been shorter anyway.
N.Y.H.C.
Serial Thrilla

Post by N.Y.H.C. »

hellboy wrote:
fortysixand2 wrote:I get the feeling Adam wants nothing to do with Puscifer. Remember when he didn't show up to Cinquanta because he was "sick."
No, did that actually happen? I can't say I remember seeing that anywhere.

Anyway, it seems to be the general assumption that Adam and Maynard don't get along that well, so why would anyone be shocked?
I've always got that feeling from those two. it's rarer than rare to get just a MJK with Adam (recent) picture just those two. can anyone prove me wrong and post more than two? but then again that fiery dynamic definitely forged some great music. am I right or am I right...right...

[BBvideo 560,340][/BBvideo]
Asteroids do not concern me, Admiral. I want that ship, not excuses.
Krazy_blah
Fornicraster

Post by Krazy_blah »

joeypants wrote: -The "new" festival set up or whatever you want to call it is great. Junior did a fucking amazing job, and I'd be over the moon to see this set up in an arena so if this is some kind of "light" set up for a festival then... please bring on whatever they're going to do next. Damn.
I couldn't disagree more. It's just a flat, full size LED screen as a backdrop (with the tool pentagram star thingy which has small LED strips in it). The production was a major step back IMHO and pretty generic. Just about every band that plays arena sized venues has something similar to what they did Saturday night.

Not to piss and moan, or discredit Junior for his hard work, but this has "let's save some money" written all over it. Not sure how many people saw Juniors comment on the front page but apparently the city of Tempe told them "no" to use of lasers and has nothing to do with the airport nearby.
Generic triangle avatar lives on.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

It was a great production, though I somewhat agree with Krazy_blah. Not sure I'd call it a step backwards, as I really liked some of the new elements such as the pentagram, and it seemed to me like the screen seemed to be a step up quality wish from last time around.
badkittygothgirl
Stinkyfist

Post by badkittygothgirl »

It's a far cry from the Ænima tour days, that's for sure!
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Krazy_blah wrote:The production was a major step back IMHO and pretty generic. Just about every band that plays arena sized venues has something similar to what they did Saturday night.
I agree with this statement too. Many Tool-sized bands do this these days ,so Tool will need to step it up a notch next tour if they want to retain the status of being one of the best visual live shows around.
blacksabbath
Duck Hater

Post by blacksabbath »

The heptagram in the middle of the screen is really cool, the way it works with the video. And for the descending part, the two side screens with the giant middle is really cool, the way they expand the image. This is definitely the best it's been for the 10,000 days tour, and I've seen it evolve from the first leg in 2006.
_peterpwn
Has been

Post by _peterpwn »

if it's been discussed before sry for that, but what is this opiate kind of pig/priest painting? its seems like acid blotter paper to me

Ettan
Dopocalyptic
Height: 190cm

Post by Ettan »

Primus/Tool hybrid.
Bill Hilly
Droner
Location: Leavenworth Penitentiary - Dishonorably discharged from Tool Army

Post by Bill Hilly »

blacksabbath wrote:The heptagram in the middle of the screen is really cool, the way it works with the video. And for the descending part, the two side screens with the giant middle is really cool, the way they expand the image. This is definitely the best it's been for the 10,000 days tour, and I've seen it evolve from the first leg in 2006.
I agree with blacksabbath. I have seen a lot of Tool shows since 10k days and the production for this show was my favorite.
"I'm kind of a big dill." - Schlong Burgundy
rgardjr
My pain is just an excuse

Post by rgardjr »

_peterpwn wrote:if it's been discussed before sry for that, but what is this opiate kind of pig/priest painting? its seems like acid blotter paper to me
It is printed on blotter paper. The artist copies are for sale here:

http://www.justinhampton.com/shop/the-t ... otter-art/

Looks like 40 copies left.
azbay
RIP

Post by azbay »

kinda wished I held out for an artist proof, the 200 run was going for $20, got 6/200
Krazy_blah
Fornicraster

Post by Krazy_blah »

blacksabbath wrote:the two side screens with the giant middle is really cool, the way they expand the image.
Ehhh, the two "side screens" have been there forever- and outside of the video content they aren't specific to the band. It's part of the stage set up for any festival. Tool has their own side screens for arenas that have done the same images in past tours.

I don't want to pee on anyone's parade here (I'm glad if people honestly had the time of their lives for this show or any recent Tool experience), just wondering what people have missed, visually, in past shows. :P
_peterpwn
Has been

Post by _peterpwn »

not soundboard quality for sure, but perfectly enjoyable
rgardjr
My pain is just an excuse

Post by rgardjr »

azbay wrote:kinda wished I held out for an artist proof, the 200 run was going for $20, got 6/200
I think you made the right decision as long as your poster made it out of the show without being damaged. You saved $25. Right now Hampton is selling the "Artist Edition" and not "Artist Proofs". I would expect the number of A/P to be closer to 10. The one small difference buying from Hampton's Artist Edition is that he is drawing a small doodle of a third eye on them.

blacksabbath
Duck Hater

Post by blacksabbath »

Krazy_blah wrote:
blacksabbath wrote:the two side screens with the giant middle is really cool, the way they expand the image.
Ehhh, the two "side screens" have been there forever- and outside of the video content they aren't specific to the band. It's part of the stage set up for any festival. Tool has their own side screens for arenas that have done the same images in past tours.

I don't want to pee on anyone's parade here (I'm glad if people honestly had the time of their lives for this show or any recent Tool experience), just wondering what people have missed, visually, in past shows. :P
I personally miss the lasers and smoke during wings for Marie and all the cool diagrams and images for Rosetta stoned. I also really like the visuals they use for third eye, but I wish they wouldn't open with it. I really like stinkfist as an opener, but any later in the show and I feel like they are pulling back. I don't think you can see how incredible the screens worked together at this show from the YouTube videos. It's mainly because they were so close to the main one and they had the screens around the platform. Nothing new, really, but the video used for descending was entirely new. They updated others too, 46/2 was very different. They have some program that dials everything to the perfect ratio through all the screens and makes this experience possible. Image

The other bands certainly use the screens differently.
Krazy_blah
Fornicraster

Post by Krazy_blah »

blacksabbath wrote:
blacksabbath wrote:the two side screens with the giant middle is really cool, the way they expand the image

I personally miss the lasers and smoke during wings for Marie and all the cool diagrams and images for Rosetta I also stoned. I also really like the visuals they use for third eye, but I wish they wouldn't open with it. I really like stinkfist as an opener, but any later in the show and I feel like they are pulling back. I don't think you can see how incredible the screens worked together at this show from the YouTube videos. It's mainly because they were so close to the main one and they had the screens around the platform. They have some program that dials everything to the perfect ratio and makes this experience possible.
Just for the record I was there, and the side screens (which don't belong to Tools production as far as I know) has been around forever. It may look different since it's a festival and they're much bigger than the arena screens- but no different than what's already been done at festivals outside of maybe aspect ratio.

That being said I agree 100% with you regarding the set list. Some songs can seem "out of place" when played. If it was up to me (which it sure as hell is not, thank god) I'd start every show with Jambi and end it with Aenima assuming it's the full arena production. It just seems to work right.
Bill Hilly
Droner

Post by Bill Hilly »

Third Eye was a beast to hear open in New Orleans. No Quarter was just as beastly to hear open in Arizona. I do not want to hear Tool open with Jambi every night. Talk about a song being out of place. Bring on a slow burner to open the show. I'm hoping for a D/R/T opener at some point. There was nothing wrong with the flow of their set at Monster Mash. I loved No Quarter > The Grudge > Parabola > Opiate. Such a great fucking run of songs.
azbay
RIP

Post by azbay »

rgardjr wrote:
I think you made the right decision as long as your poster made it out of the show without being damaged. You saved $25. Right now Hampton is selling the "Artist Edition" and not "Artist Proofs". I would expect the number of A/P to be closer to 10. The one small difference buying from Hampton's Artist Edition is that he is drawing a small doodle of a third eye on them.
"Artist edition", thanks ya I thought that was a large # for A/P, Yes the poster made it out alive as I had a poster tube with me thinking I would be able to get an event poster, yeah right!? soooo bummed saw so many people walking past me with their posters and them saying "they JUST sold out!" ugh.

Bill Hilly wrote:Third Eye was a beast to hear open in New Orleans. No Quarter was just as beastly to hear open in Arizona.
I was really hoping for Lost Keys/Rosetta Stoned to open, let alone just be on the setlist. But No Quater was a very very pleasant surprise :shock: :D
Bill Hilly
Droner

Post by Bill Hilly »

Yeah man. I would have loved to see Rosetta Stoned again. I was fortunate to see LK/Rosetta Stoned open at the 6/6/6 show, and it's a great opener. I'm sure we will get our wish at some point. I lost my girlfriend at the show too!
Calfium Jay
Queric
Height: 189cm

Post by Calfium Jay »

Krazy_blah wrote: Just for the record I was there.

Phew!! Glad we cleared that up!!!!

:|
'It is time for us to be doing what we have been doing every day. And that time is now'

Actual quote from Kamala Harris
Ettan
Dopocalyptic
Height: 190cm

Post by Ettan »

Someone posted this in r/toolband.. A beat made out of an Adam Jones interview :lol: :lol: :lol: So bad it's funny.

xZ1mM3r
Barnacle Bill

Post by xZ1mM3r »

Ettan wrote:Someone posted this in r/toolband.. A beat made out of an Adam Jones interview :lol: :lol: :lol: So bad it's funny.

to say that is "a beat made out of an adam jones interview' is quite the stretch..... its a generic beat with an adam jones interview played over it, nothing more.