Random Tool Social Media thread

The Main Event
Busty McCracken
Lord Festivus

Re: Random Tool Social Media thread

Post by Busty McCracken »

Krazy_blah wrote:
Busty McCracken wrote: As mentioned in Puscifer thread it is beyond obvious that Maynard has little passion for Tool compared to Puscifer and am kinda surprised he still does it to be honest. I wonder what keeps him involved. Friendship, obligation, money or deep down he still does respect the living shit out of the project while being able to resent the hell out of it at the same time.
My bet is on the money, and I really don't have a problem with that. I'm sure his vineyard tied into Puscifer is profitable, but being able to go out on tour for 5 weeks with headlining festivals is what pays the mortgage.
I don't have a problem if that is his primary motivation, but I do take exception to his attitude towards the fans if that is his motivation. Pretty rude to be an asshole to the people that essentially pay your wages if that's the main reason you're there.
Listen to All Them Witches
Krazy_blah
Fornicraster

Post by Krazy_blah »

Hey now, I never said anything about him NOT seeming to be an asshole!

If I ever saw the dude at an airport I'd probably run the other way. He doesn't necessarily come off as a bitter "I hate life" person, just not a people person. Probably sit down next to him on a plane, say "hi", and get the gaze of the devil into your eyes.
Generic triangle avatar lives on.
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

Interesting post on Reddit regarding Alex Grey and Tool:
Then naturally I asked about my favorite band Tool. He said that recently Alex had flown to LA to meet with people from Tool and it had to do with a new album.

I expect Alex and the members of Tool meet with some regularity, so personally wouldn't go reading much into it.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

great_gerbil wrote: I also have a weird itch that the whole team doesn't want to just make "another Tool album." People accused 10,000 Days of being derivative and, while I get where they get that, I respectfully disagree. But that kind of criticism can get under people's skin. So that wouldn't surprise me as something giving them pause.
I think Justin pretty much confirmed this in a recent interview. I suspect the delay is mostly due to those three wanting the new album to not feel just like a rehash of the last two (though I imagine it would still be a strongly "Tool-ish" album).

A couple of examples: Jambi is very much a signature Tool track, yet to me is distinguishable from any other Tool track. Right In Two on the other hand (which I think is a great track btw) to me sounds just like "another Tool track". I suspect the band wants more Jambi's, and less Right In Twos.
Ravenpig
Peen Taster

Post by Ravenpig »

A buddy of mine once described Jambi like this:

"How the fuck did these guys make a song that sounds nothing like any other Tool song yet you can tell it's them right away?"

Ive always thought 10K Days' biggest flaw was that it followed Aenema and Lateralus.
Hey! Denty!
Krazy_blah
Fornicraster

Post by Krazy_blah »

Ravenpig wrote:
Ive always thought 10K Days' biggest flaw was that it followed Aenema and Lateralus.
Yup. Nothing wrong with 10K Days, it just had to follow their two signature masterpieces. That kind of brings it down a notch since all three albums were 5 years apart and not the usual 2-3 year gaps like most bands do.
Generic triangle avatar lives on.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Ravenpig wrote: Ive always thought 10K Days' biggest flaw was that it followed Aenema and Lateralus.
Yep, Aenima and Lateralus are 10/10s for me, the "problem" is 10k Days is only an 8 or a 9 (depending on my mood). I prefer 10k Days over most albums I've heard in the last 10 years.
Bill Hilly
Droner
Location: Leavenworth Penitentiary - Dishonorably discharged from Tool Army

Post by Bill Hilly »

10,000 Days is aging well for me. I played it yesterday and it keeps getting better. I wasn't much of a fan of Maynard's lyrics when I first heard it almost ELEVEN years ago :? , but it's now right up there with Aenima/Lateralus. The political themes on that record are still very relative to what is going on right now.
"I'm kind of a big dill." - Schlong Burgundy
Busty McCracken
Lord Festivus

Krazy_blah wrote:Hey now, I never said anything about him NOT seeming to be an asshole!

If I ever saw the dude at an airport I'd probably run the other way. He doesn't necessarily come off as a bitter "I hate life" person, just not a people person. Probably sit down next to him on a plane, say "hi", and get the gaze of the devil into your eyes.
Ha! I'd ask him about the new album just to piss him off and watch his reaction.

And nailed it with that comment about following aenima and lateralus. Was always going to be a tough ask. I've always stuck up for 10,000 days. Has some killer tunes on there still. Title track is a masterpiece and Rosetta Stoned is the tits. Add in Jambi & Vicarious and its hardly a weak album.
joeypants
Goderator

Post by joeypants »

I think it's just the same old case that they're picky guys, and Justin/Adam/Danny are very well documented as taking their sweet ass time. Tool also operates in a very, very "narrow" space in terms of sounds and the way their songs go (that's why they're immediately identifiable however much they innovate each time), and I'm sure with each album it gets exponentially more difficult to not sound "samey." It's a fine line to walk.

I also just went back through 10K days, and am still blown away by that album. Agree with pretty much all the last few posts about it.
void
Fanboi

Post by void »

Haven't posted here in years, but just wanted to come to the defense of 10k Days. I agree with Hellboy's assessment, it's an 8 or 9 album just being compared to Aenima/Lateralus. I also wanted to add that I think a lot of the reason it doesn't come off as "good" maybe has to do with the production. Joe Barresi is a world-class engineer, but his production made them sound a little more same-y as opposed to David Bottrill's more organic way of capturing the instruments. Aenima/Lateralus sound much closer to what Tool sounds like live.
unclejackson
My pain is just an excuse

Post by unclejackson »

A quick thought experiment: Imagine for a moment a hypothetical scenario where 10,000 Days was released as the DEBUT album by some other band (and Tool did not exist). How would this change the perception of the record?

I have my own thoughts about this, though I'd prefer to hear yours without suggesting anything.
xZ1mM3r
Barnacle Bill

Post by xZ1mM3r »

unclejackson wrote:A quick thought experiment: Imagine for a moment a hypothetical scenario where 10,000 Days was released as the DEBUT album by some other band (and Tool did not exist). How would this change the perception of the record?

I have my own thoughts about this, though I'd prefer to hear yours without suggesting anything.
Id say something like this:

"man this new band [insert made up band name here] sounds a LOT like Tool!!!"

In all honesty i probably wouldnt have enjoyed it as much. Dont get me wrong i LOVE 10000 Days, but i would be lying if i said that knowing it was made by Tool didnt influence the way i listened to it the first time.
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

I clearly remember hearing 10KD for the first time. It boggled my mind.

Just remembered it was my very first post on TA, in response to a bunch of people surmising that the leaked album was a "decoy". LELz:
by kittaan 22 Apr, 06 | 01:53 AM
Do me a favor?
On May 2nd, when the disc releases (and I go buy my copies) come back and read your post here again... I've listened to the "fake" release upwards of 50 times over the last 2 days. It is absolutely some of the most complex, compelling, engaging and ROCKING music I've heard. It belongs in the company of the other Tool material.

10,000 days is the whole package, and the definition of synergy: the whole is more than the sum of its parts.

As an aspiring composer, I am in awe of Tool's ability to continually come up with the goods, lyrically, melodically, dynamically. This is a rock band, man. Rock is not supposed to be this deep... right?

As a fairly decent musician, I am fucking blown away by the level of proficiency these freaks of nature have attained on their respective instruments, vox included... There are very few, if any, rock bands making music this demanding. And I can tell you from personal experience that Tool can present this material live - no easy feat. Many lesser bands sound like crap outside of the comforts of studios and overdubs. Tool doesn't compromise themselves in that way, and they don't dissapoint live, to say the least.

I could go on, but what's the point? Most of you here agree, I'm sure.

Again, Wish392, come back here after you confirm this was the real deal, and read the post, and have a laugh at yourself...

If you give it a chance, (and you have the capacity I assume you do since you're a Tool fan), this disc will become one of your favorites, just like every other Tool disc.
And yeah, I was clearly exaggerating on the 50x in 2 days. But I did pretty much listen to it non-stop every waking moment.

That being said, I now usually skip Wings/10KDays... it hasn't aged as well as the rest of the tracks. Glad I got to see them do it live a couple of times, but I hope they don't put anything as indulgent on Tool V. Those 16+ minutes could have been much better used IMO.
Ki77aan :twisted:
nxrm
Dan's Alias

Post by nxrm »

My appreciation of the song(s) hasn't diminished, although I find I need to be in the right frame of mind to really give it a listen. I never skip it though.

All of this reminds me about about discussing it on TA (god how I still miss that place):

Kittaan (May 7, 2009)
10K/Wings
I missed it by two shows last year.
But got it twice in Vegas. To be honest, once was enough. Not that it isn't great, but they have so many tunes they are neglecting. I'm sure they have their reasons, and I totally enjoyed both shows, so not a big deal.
I hope you get a "new" old gem from them on one of your upcoming shows. That would be killer.
I was dying for Ticks and Leeches, and based on BMBs recent post, it may be coming. Good luck.

Bobage
Once
I could see once being enough. I think it's a little lame to play back to back nights in the same venue and play the same set, but that's just me. That being said, it's Tool and they kicked ass both nights, I have no doubt.
It would be styling if they dusted something off they haven't yet played on this tour! Won't get my hopes up.
Do you live in SF?

Plinn
Actually
10K live is quite the snoozefest....good time to head to the can for a squirt break.

Me
communal prayer
...call me sappy...but...hearing/participating/witnessing this song...i just slip into communal prayer mode...
...i think of those who have passed into shadow...i think of my family and friends...i just think about the effort it took to write such an amazing piece of music...
...but that's just me...i like to commune with such moments...

Bobage
Personal
The song is so personal and I think it brave to play it live.
Speaking of personal, I also have reasons why that song touches me deeply and moves me as it does you. It just kind of brings me to that place.
Here's to communing.
B

Plinn - Responding to me
I like to commune
w/ the urinal. Its nice to take a piss in peace. Besides, the smell in there keeps me from falling asleep out of boredom.

:)
So Long, and Thanks for All the Tool.
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

I used to throw on 10K Days when I would have a nasty headache, and it was actually surprisingly helpful.
Don't mow your lawn
tiresias
Has been

Post by tiresias »

2 cents and what no,t but I think Rosetta Stoned is right up there with the best tool songs. The musicianship and the story telling and MJK really exploring all of his talents. Such an amazing song.
“Casual Fan”
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

I really like Rosetta Stone - I think it gets overly criticised for it's riffs being "recycled" ones, but I kinda feel like that was somewhat intentional. Anyway, they are weaved together in a way that is quite interested, and while the track dies in the arse after the "I forgot my pen" bit, it's a highlight of 10K Days for me.
Bill Hilly
Droner

Post by Bill Hilly »

Wings/10,000 Days is one of my favorite parts of the album, but I can understand why Maynard will never do it live again. Shits intense, son.

*Edit - The past few listens have given new life to The Pot for me. It used to be my least favorite track on the album, and now it's top 3. That breakdown is Fn A.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Bill Hilly wrote:Wings/10,000 Days is one of my favorite parts of the album, but I can understand why Maynard will never do it live again. Shits intense, son.
I really like the song, but didn't think it was a great one live. Would be cool to see again I guess, but wouldn't lose sleep if they never did. If Maynard doesn't want to revisit it live again, then this is fine - bands are generally best when they're calling the shots, and not just playing stuff because fans want it.
Bill Hilly
Droner

Post by Bill Hilly »

I agree. It hits the feels every time I listen to it and she's not my mother. No point in revisiting that. I was fortunate enough to see it live a few times and it was the highlight of the show for me, but I tend to like their slower paced stuff live.
Busty McCracken
Lord Festivus

I tend to skip wings 1 and have done so for many years but wings 2 is an amazing song. , but hey I'm a sucker for bass and that bass line hooked me instantly on first listen. Vividly remember listening to that on 1st spin.

I can play alot of Tool songs but Rosetta stoned I've struggled with massively. The musicianship in that song is incredible and complex. The pot is kind of like Jimmy to me on Aenima. The weakest song but still great.
trilobite
Rhandy

Post by trilobite »

Rosetta stoned was mediocre at best. I'm over hearing it's a 'Tool classic'. The music on 10k days is its most endearing quality. Particularly the rhythm. Maynard's part came across pressed, & the entire disc is produced beyond repair. Even after the meticulous Lateralus. That album at least was picked to a cohesive, 4 part piece of music. 10k days is Tool's studio album. 4 uneven pieces, smoothed out in editing. I hope the last album is monumental. But come what may, I have my 4th & 5th copies of aenima & lateralus out in the car, still in regular rotation. And undertow, think it's under the passage seat. Safely buried by a dozen or so burger wrappers.
also, Avatar!
Pimple
Green Herbsman

Post by Pimple »

Awesome to see some discussion on this forum. I really love 10,000 days... Jambi is one of my favourite songs, because it resonates with me so deeply. Even before my son died of cancer this song made me think of the fear I would feel if I lost one of my children (If I thought I'd lose you just one day.). Then when Sam was diagnosed with cancer in 2012, this song went on high rotation as I dealt with the feelings (So if I could I'd wish it all away. If I thought tomorrow would take you away. You're my peace of mind, my home, my center. I'm just trying to hold on, One more day.)... As did Devin Townsend 'Stand' off Deconstruction. I have always used TOOL as a form of sedative, I find all of their music very soothing....

I have always found 10,000 days to be an exceptional album, the musicianship is fantastic. I don't feel the need to compare albums I really love them all as it is the growth of the individuals expressing their music. I am just an observer. If they continually produced Lateralus sounding albums, all of the albums would sound like Lateralus. I like the growth and change in the band, even if it is not what everybody wants, it is what they are doing and I am keen to come along for the ride, I hope the next album (if ever there is one) is nothing like we are expecting.....
Be good to each other.
aenimal
Fanboi

Post by aenimal »

10,000 Days is by far my favorite Tool album. I'm in the vast minority in saying this, but....I do not like Lateralus. :o

I've been a fan since the early/mid 90s, loved Opiate, Undertow, and Aenima, and was extremely let down by Lateralus when it came out....and honestly, it hasn't grown on me one bit after all these years. 10,000 Days on the other hand, I loved immediately, and I still listen to it on a regular basis. I think it's aged extremely well, and has so many moments of intensity that, in my opinion, Lateralus was tremendously lacking in.