Random Tool Social Media thread

The Main Event
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Re: Random Tool Social Media thread

Post by hellboy »

So I read this little snippet on Reddit today about the Opiate video:
At the Salt Lake City VIP in October, Adam had his laptop and said he had planned to show it to us, but didn't know there would be so many people in attendance (200ish). He did tell us that they were shopping around release formats with VEVO and YouTube having so many licensing deals with artists now, but didn't know exactly how it would eventually be released. It is done, however. Justin described it as like watching 2001: A Space Odyssey if you didn't have much time.
I haven't read that before.
Krazy_blah
Fornicraster

Post by Krazy_blah »

Too many people? That's bizarre- what's it matter if there's a 100 or 200? (Yes, I know how to do simple math). Either way you're not going to get a great shot of it if it's on a laptop, the more people the harder it is to see only for the ones further back during VIP. Only guess is maybe they had to switch to a larger room for VIP than anticipated.

I'm guessing a Reddit troll job. Or maybe even an AJ/Justin troll job if that actually happened.
Generic triangle avatar lives on.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Krazy_blah wrote:Too many people? That's bizarre- what's it matter if there's a 100 or 200? (Yes, I know how to do simple math). Either way you're not going to get a great shot of it if it's on a laptop, the more people the harder it is to see only for the ones further back during VIP. Only guess is maybe they had to switch to a larger room for VIP than anticipated.
I suspect that the issue was more that cramming 200 people around a laptop isn't feasible, and they didn't have a projector handy?
Krazy_blah wrote:I'm guessing a Reddit troll job. Or maybe even an AJ/Justin troll job if that actually happened.
Maybe, who knows.
nxrm
Living Duller

Post by nxrm »

junior wrote:
nxrm wrote:I believe this is The Loft control room: ... s_tv&hl=en
Yeah, that is the control room/bar area at the Loft, featuring the old analogue "Rick James" console and Blairs old couch.
I could write a "Blair-length" story about how that couch got to the Loft from Blairs old 2nd floor apartment (it involved ropes, a balcony, Danny's old truck, the 101 Freeway, a 12-pack and at least 5 people), but that's for another day.

The little digital console was on the other side of the glass, in the performance space. I think they use that digital one for recording rehearsals and monitoring themselves (there's a small PA in the live room). The analogue one would be for mixing.
Thanks for confirming what it is we're looking at there. That definitely helps in some way.

I'm already smiling thinking about the couch transfer, without having even heard the entire tale. Kind of bummed to think that Blair isn't in the LA area any longer. Even less of a chance to bump into him or hear about new Tool related outings he's been a part of.

Changes come, I guess...
So Long, and Thanks for All the Tool.
nxrm
Living Duller

Post by nxrm »

hellboy wrote:So I read this little snippet on Reddit today about the Opiate video:
At the Salt Lake City VIP in October, Adam had his laptop and said he had planned to show it to us, but didn't know there would be so many people in attendance (200ish). He did tell us that they were shopping around release formats with VEVO and YouTube having so many licensing deals with artists now, but didn't know exactly how it would eventually be released. It is done, however. Justin described it as like watching 2001: A Space Odyssey if you didn't have much time.
I haven't read that before.
I hadn't heard this before either, and looking at m0mentarylapse's history I think it's legitimate.

Great news to hear that it's actually finished. Sounds like there's hope it will see the light of day at some point, hopefully in the near future.

Lots going on behind the scenes apparently. All good things. Patience indeed.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

nxrm wrote: Great news to hear that it's actually finished. Sounds like there's hope it will see the light of day at some point, hopefully in the near future.

Lots going on behind the scenes apparently. All good things. Patience indeed.
Something will happen eventually, I have no doubt of that. When "eventually" is continues to prove elusive...
greasy
Has been

Post by greasy »

I stand behind my previous observation.....all the amplifiers are mic'd in adams video, and Junior confirmed that is not the loft. Looks to me like recording, in some capacity, is happening.

But then again, in the Tool world, 2+2 almost never = 4.
Yes, I am the same Greasy from the hubs (remember AMT?)

https://www.ebay.com/str/cgreinsky
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

I assume tool records a lot of stuff for the sake of arranging
and whatnot.
Don't mow your lawn
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

At the VIP in SF, Adam said they record everything, and use it as a writing tool. Lots of bands do that. Bits are cheap, why not?
Ki77aan :twisted:
lukas
Geacon

Post by lukas »

Junior confirmed it's not the loft?
aenimal
Fanboi

Post by aenimal »

Looks like some recording is underway by APC at least -
nxrm
Living Duller

Post by nxrm »

lukas wrote:Junior confirmed it's not the loft?
junior wrote:The Loft has wall-to-wall carpeting. This video has an exposed wood floor with rugs on it.
I think they temporarily relocated, possibly so some repairs/remodeling could be done at The Loft, or just to get out of there for a while.
Confirmed.
greasy
Has been

Post by greasy »

Kittaan wrote:At the VIP in SF, Adam said they record everything, and use it as a writing tool. Lots of bands do that. Bits are cheap, why not?
Based on how long they have been 'writing', Adam could have posted the same video 10 years ago. Posting it now, however.......ok call me optimistic, but I feel this means progress. Especially since it is NOT in the loft.
Yes, I am the same Greasy from the hubs (remember AMT?)

https://www.ebay.com/str/cgreinsky
nxrm
Living Duller

Post by nxrm »

16 February, 2017 (11:02am)
TOOL MOVES GEAR INTO NEW SPACE - MAYNARD WORKING ON VOCALS

In speaking with Danny last night, he told me that the band has temporarily MOVED some of their gear into a larger space (across town) where MAYNARD is working on VOCALS for some of the new Tool material. I'm sure that he has already been doing this to some extent, but now he has more room to breathe and a better vocal booth.

BMB
Krazy_blah
Fornicraster

Post by Krazy_blah »

Well, that's actually something positive and concrete.
Pimple
Green Herbsman

Post by Pimple »

I think that post by Blair, as well as Adam's video are the most positive and exciting bits of news in the last few years. Awesome that things are moving along...
Be good to each other.
nxrm
Living Duller

Post by nxrm »

^I think we're still a year out from a new album, but this is exciting news indeed.
Bill Hilly
Droner
Location: Leavenworth Penitentiary - Dishonorably discharged from Tool Army

Post by Bill Hilly »

nxrm wrote:^I think we're still a year out from a new album, but this is exciting news indeed.
At least a year.
"I'm kind of a big dill." - Schlong Burgundy
THE1TRUEMOG
Green Herbsman

Post by THE1TRUEMOG »

None of the recent updates hold any weight for me. While I have long since let go of any Tool hate, they have still lost a ton of credibility in my eyes. Now when I say that I am not talking about their talent as musicians or their live shows. They obviously take pride in what they do and give their best each time out. But the smoke and mirror borderline amateur hour nonsense that has surrounded anything and everything regarding a new album has long since worn out it's welcome. Until Tool literally announces a release date for a new album I am going to continue to assume that there is no new album. Anything that Tool has to say about new material I take with a grain of salt because at this point because quite frankly I don't trust their word.

It does seem obvious that APC is moving forward and in full flight at the moment and Billy is someone who I trust. I do not think it is his fault at all for their not being another APC album in many years. I think that has everything to do with Marynard focusing on Puscifer and the delay with the Tool album. I suspect if Maynard is all in Billy would put together an album very quickly. Now whether we end up getting an EP or a full length release I imagine is up in the air but I do believe Billy when he says they are writing new music and I suspect they will play some of it during this upcoming tour and will probably have something out by the end of the year.
Bill Hilly
Droner

Post by Bill Hilly »

Billy Howerdel in 2013 wrote: I hope to, but I know Maynard is in full Tool mode right now.
Krazy_blah
Fornicraster

Post by Krazy_blah »

^^^ Pretty sure Billy meant "as opposed to full retard" mode.
nxrm
Living Duller

Post by nxrm »

xZ1mM3r
Barnacle Bill

Post by xZ1mM3r »

Getting confirmation that MJK is actually working on lyrics in a studio of sorts, not just at home messing with ideas; but actually putting words to music is a HUGE step forward. When asked Maynard always says something along the lines of "i write lyrics to music, i dont have any music yet." OR "i come in at the end and add lyrics to the music."

Why would Maynard go in to add lyrics to ONE song. Thats just a waste of his time. He seems like the type of artist/singer that will only add lyrics once there is a substantial amount of music complete; when the music is at a point that he and the band need to work together to alter songs around his lyrics.

It may be wishful thinking, but i think this a great news. We KNOW that the band is working in a new, larger space. Maynard is in LA writing and recording lyrics in a vocal booth. All signs point to actual recording happening relatively soon.
Bill Hilly
Droner

Post by Bill Hilly »

It's early morning in Australia. Hellboy should be waking up soon. Maybe he can confirm that this is what he was alluding to last week?
I think it's definitely positive, Z. I am just treading lightly with optimism at this point.
Busty McCracken
Lord Festivus

Post by Busty McCracken »

I'm with Mog and kinda wish Mog of yesteryear was still around to give us all an almighty and well deserved I told you so to all of us... fairly confident if someone was arsed to scroll through the forums they'd find a quote from him saying something along the lines of "I wouldn't be surprised if in 2017 Tool is still teasing you all with half empty promises and everyone is clinging on to little pieces of nothing"..

And here we are, 2017 an ambiguous video and everyones getting excited... i aint mad, they can do what they want and I hope that one day this album will see the light of day but i said many years ago until I see an official release date I refuse to be excited by any ambiguous information they release.
Listen to All Them Witches