Random Tool Social Media thread

The Main Event
DinosaurAct86
My pain is just an excuse

Re: Random Tool Social Media thread

Post by DinosaurAct86 »

I'm just happy that Tool is finally playing a show in Hershey, PA---20 minutes from where I live! I haven't seen them live since 2006. Jesus I'm old.
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

Maybe these shows aren't about greed. Maybe they just enjoy playing live. I know it's a stretch....
THE1TRUEMOG
Green Herbsman

Post by THE1TRUEMOG »

hellboy wrote:Maybe these shows aren't about greed. Maybe they just enjoy playing live. I know it's a stretch....
Given their approach to ticket sales....

Ah whatever no point in dipping back into a negative mindset. Hopefully the shows are great for everyone attending.
xZ1mM3r
Barnacle Bill

Post by xZ1mM3r »

MJK FROM ROLLING STONE ARTICLE wrote:Keenan acknowledges the band doesn't necessarily need to release new material to fill an arena – they took their dark, psychedelic show on the road as recently as earlier this year. "But as an artist you don't want to become a greatest hits version of yourself, either," he says. "You want to push the boundaries. You want to figure out how can you challenge yourself to discover something new, discover something different about yourself. What are your limitations? What avenues can you push and expand? That is life. I don't have any interest in coasting yet."
This is a excerpt from a few years back. Just find it funny now looking back on it.... I would love to see Tool live again, dont get me wrong. I would go if they played near me. But facts are facts: they are/and have been for roughly 5 years a greatest hits version of themselves. Its not a bad thing. But it looks bad when you specifically say that you dont want to be that.

Like with their album... its not a bad thing that they havent released an album lately. But when members say numerous times that an album is in the works either "soon" or "almost" or "coming together" for literally 9 years, it gets a little old.

As a fan, i am annoyed when the band says one thing and does another. They would be better off not saying ANYTHING about the album (although thats too late now) and just doing their own thing at their own pace. They set imaginary deadlines for themselves everytime they say its "in the oven" , and annoy fans when nothing happens. Dont tell us you dont want to become a greatest hits version of yourself and then literally play a greatest hits setlist 10+ times a year. every year. for a decade. The latter end of this rant probably belongs in the grudge.
void
Fanboi

Post by void »

xZ1mM3r wrote:
MJK FROM ROLLING STONE ARTICLE wrote:Keenan acknowledges the band doesn't necessarily need to release new material to fill an arena – they took their dark, psychedelic show on the road as recently as earlier this year. "But as an artist you don't want to become a greatest hits version of yourself, either," he says. "You want to push the boundaries. You want to figure out how can you challenge yourself to discover something new, discover something different about yourself. What are your limitations? What avenues can you push and expand? That is life. I don't have any interest in coasting yet."
This is a excerpt from a few years back. Just find it funny now looking back on it.... I would love to see Tool live again, dont get me wrong. I would go if they played near me. But facts are facts: they are/and have been for roughly 5 years a greatest hits version of themselves. Its not a bad thing. But it looks bad when you specifically say that you dont want to be that.

Like with their album... its not a bad thing that they havent released an album lately. But when members say numerous times that an album is in the works either "soon" or "almost" or "coming together" for literally 9 years, it gets a little old.

As a fan, i am annoyed when the band says one thing and does another. They would be better off not saying ANYTHING about the album (although thats too late now) and just doing their own thing at their own pace. They set imaginary deadlines for themselves everytime they say its "in the oven" , and annoy fans when nothing happens. Dont tell us you dont want to become a greatest hits version of yourself and then literally play a greatest hits setlist 10+ times a year. every year. for a decade. The latter end of this rant probably belongs in the grudge.
Just had to chime in and this has likely been said numerous times... I think Maynard is yearning for new material, but that onus falls on the instrumental members of the band. He's just as frustrated with them as the fans. Read the lyrics to Money Shot, seems pretty clearly to be about the current situation with Adam and Tool. He's not happy with it.

"You used to be driven by mission and lust. Now it’s just all compensation"
fortysixand2
Uncle Fucker

Post by fortysixand2 »

It really is a shame, given how talented these 4 guys can be together, that there's so little output whether it's studio albums or in a live setting. For a band that preaches so hard about creativity, deeper thinking and pushing the envelope, they really haven't done shit to back it up in the past 10 years. Descending doesn't count. It's like they said, "Ok, we made Aenima and Lateralus, we're done, thanks" and are just collecting paychecks now.

There's no doubt Maynard is frustrated- the dude can't sit still. If it were up to him, there'd probably be two Tool albums out by now.
GabesCaves

Post by GabesCaves »

void wrote:
xZ1mM3r wrote:

Just had to chime in and this has likely been said numerous times... I think Maynard is yearning for new material, but that onus falls on the instrumental members of the band. He's just as frustrated with them as the fans. Read the lyrics to Money Shot, seems pretty clearly to be about the current situation with Adam and Tool. He's not happy with it.

"You used to be driven by mission and lust. Now it’s just all compensation"
What if Adam is going thru a writer's block - he literally thinks he has material in line with Tools high standards, but eventually crumples the page into the waste can? It seems the "sonic" uniqueness and creativity falls mostly on Adam.

That's not a burden anyone should bear.
THE1TRUEMOG
Green Herbsman

Post by THE1TRUEMOG »

GabesCaves wrote:
What if Adam is going thru a writer's block - he literally thinks he has material in line with Tools high standards, but eventually crumples the page into the waste can? It seems the "sonic" uniqueness and creativity falls mostly on Adam.

That's not a burden anyone should bear.
No I don't buy that. They said in a recent interview that they actually have two albums worth of material. Maynard flat out called Adam a control freak during a Q&A about a year ago. As for sonic uniqueness Danny can literally do anything on the drums and Justin's playing is just as important and in some cases even more important than Adam's in terms of creating their sound. Ultimately it is basically about laziness and Adam being a control freak.

Sorry had to chime in on this one. I am trying to get back into a more positive mindset regarding Tool and am trying to refrain from being continually critical but your post just seemed incredibly apologetic. Look I get Adam wants to make a great album I really do but sometimes you can be your own worst enemy. That can happen to any of us in any line of work. Sometimes you just have to say what you have is "good enough" and put it out there and let it stand on it's own, otherwise you get into the kind of situation Tool is now. You end up just sitting on a mountain of music that no one ever ends up getting to hear.
joeypants
Goderator

Post by joeypants »

[BBvideo 560,340][/BBvideo]
Bill Hilly
Droner
Location: Leavenworth Penitentiary - Dishonorably discharged from Tool Army

Post by Bill Hilly »

THE1TRUEMOG wrote:
No I don't buy that. They said in a recent interview that they actually have two albums worth of material. Maynard flat out called Adam a control freak during a Q&A about a year ago. As for sonic uniqueness Danny can literally do anything on the drums and Justin's playing is just as important and in some cases even more important than Adam's in terms of creating their sound. Ultimately it is basically about laziness and Adam being a control freak.

Sorry had to chime in on this one. I am trying to get back into a more positive mindset regarding Tool and am trying to refrain from being continually critical but your post just seemed incredibly apologetic. Look I get Adam wants to make a great album I really do but sometimes you can be your own worst enemy. That can happen to any of us in any line of work. Sometimes you just have to say what you have is "good enough" and put it out there and let it stand on it's own, otherwise you get into the kind of situation Tool is now. You end up just sitting on a mountain of music that no one ever ends up getting to hear.
I have to give a nod to this post. It's spot on. I am trying to be as neutral as possible with Tool and their situation, but there is still an underlying feeling of pessimism that I have towards the band right now. That's why I am not really posting on the boards much anymore. I feel like I don't have anything to contribute to this thread until either Tool releases something or announces that they will not be releasing new material. We've said all that can be said.......until someone makes an off the rail statement that Adam has all the creative responsibility in the band. Please.
"I'm kind of a big dill." - Schlong Burgundy
ziggy23
Stink Wizard

Post by ziggy23 »

- You like noisy music?
- Yes. The louder the better. Stops me from thinking.
- You don't like to think? What do you like?
- Never thought about it.
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

Dwelling on the reason for the delay is ultimately pointless. Feel free to put yourselves in whatever frame of mind gets you through - apathy, laziness, writers block, mental and physical health issues, lawsuits, a little of each of those. Whatever gets you through the day.

The reasons behind the delay don't bother me at all.
trilobite
Rhandy

Post by trilobite »

^^^
also, Avatar!
GabesCaves

Post by GabesCaves »

Bill Hilly wrote:
THE1TRUEMOG wrote:

I have to give a nod to this post. It's spot on. I am trying to be as neutral as possible with Tool and their situation, but there is still an underlying feeling of pessimism that I have towards the band right now. That's why I am not really posting on the boards much anymore. I feel like I don't have anything to contribute to this thread until either Tool releases something or announces that they will not be releasing new material. We've said all that can be said.......until someone makes an off the rail statement that Adam has all the creative responsibility in the band. Please.
Danny and Justin are great, but Adam's work, to me at least, is what separates Tool from every other band in their genre. I did not intend to say "all" the creativeness. Aren't there enough side projects ( as good as APC is, for example) to see Tool is a world apart?

I'm just as pissed at the lack of new material. (Try being a NYC fan, and you'd have a decades worth of no tourdates as well). Their decisions have almost ruined the band. I recall they wanted to scrap what they wrote during their protracted litigation. I get that, but angry music is a justifiable emotional release.
void
Fanboi

Post by void »

Agree with hellboy, the reason doesn't matter. The fact remains... Tool is a great band, I enjoy seeing them live from time to time. No point reading anymore into it.
gamebounty
RIP

Post by gamebounty »

I'm with Hellboy. Waiting sucks but it's not the end of the world. The album will come when it comes.

I got tickets for the San Bernardino show (which is 8 hours from where I live) and am super excited! It will be my first Tool show, so I think I made a good choice. I'm hoping that NIN will be the special guest, but I'm not basing that on any evidence or logic. Just a dream.

It's been awhile since I've posted, so I wanted to ask about the ticketmaster fiasco. Is it possible that their archaic contract is what keeps them from releasing presale tickets, and that maybe the VIP tickets are available only because of some loophole in the contract? I know it's a stretch, but I like to give the band the benefit of the doubt. I think I remember reading something about Tool sacrificing profits in order to have more creative freedom. I'm not sure if that was just a rumor or not (which it could be considering they couldn't even release D/R/T the way they wanted), but if it's true then maybe that adds credence to this theory as well. Maybe their contract hands over ticketing to their label or something? I know I'm probably just being naive because these guys are idols of mine, but I'm curious to see what you all think.
"The whole world seems to have gone full gay retard" -petemasterpete
greasy
Has been

Post by greasy »

gamebounty wrote: Maybe their contract hands over ticketing to their label or something?
I highly doubt the label makes money off of touring. Bands always make significantly more money from touring vs album sales....most of the album money goes to the label.
Yes, I am the same Greasy from the hubs (remember AMT?)

https://www.ebay.com/str/cgreinsky
nxrm
Dan's Alias

Post by nxrm »

gamebounty wrote:It will be my first Tool show, so I think I made a good choice.
Heck yeah! What section are you sitting in?
So Long, and Thanks for All the Tool.
xZ1mM3r
Barnacle Bill

Post by xZ1mM3r »

gamebounty wrote:(considering they couldn't even release D/R/T the way they wanted)
What exactly do you mean?

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk
BellJH
Fanboi

Post by BellJH »

xZ1mM3r wrote:
gamebounty wrote:(considering they couldn't even release D/R/T the way they wanted)

If I remember correctly D/R/T was always meant to be one long epic track but for logistical/Record reasons they had to split it up into thirds. I might be talking bullshit though...
Specter
Pencildick

Post by Specter »

I think you're on to something, here...
The contract has ended; they're on their own
Dancing on the roof of some cartoon showroom
gamebounty
RIP

Post by gamebounty »

nxrm wrote:
Heck yeah! What section are you sitting in?
Section 7! Not the best seats, but atleast they are dead center.
xZ1mM3r wrote:

What BellJH said, although now that I think about it that might be a rumor as well.
Specter wrote:I think you're on to something, here...
The contract has ended; they're on their own
Are you sure? Doesn't their contract cover five albums or something, and isn't that why they don't have music up on any digital streaming sites?
"The whole world seems to have gone full gay retard" -petemasterpete
nxrm
Dan's Alias

Post by nxrm »

gamebounty wrote:Section 7! Not the best seats, but atleast they are dead center.
Excellent! I've got Section 6, so just next door. I think we'll have a good view of everything...and hopefully the sound isn't too muddy back there.
So Long, and Thanks for All the Tool.
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

I was always under the impression that D/R/T was always 3 separate tracks, but that the band saw it as being part of a larger whole. I'm not really sure where I'm getting that from though...
Don't mow your lawn
GabesCaves

Post by GabesCaves »

Good seats for Hershey on StubHub, surprisingly​ decent prices! Hope I can get off of work and make the drive!