Random Tool Social Media thread

The Main Event
xZ1mM3r
Barnacle Bill

Re: Random Tool Social Media thread

Post by xZ1mM3r »

The intro to Schism here sounds so familiar. Is this a full song they released later? I cant put my finger on it...

[youtube][/youtube]
M0G
Lungsmen

Post by M0G »

tys0n wrote:You guys need a painkiller if you don't know who the real culprit is.
M0G wrote:I am beyond giving a shit about the album artwork.
What a stupid fucking opinion.
^ Annnnnddddd there it is :roll:
The most intelligent person on this forum
Busty McCracken
Lord Festivus

Post by Busty McCracken »

xZ1mM3r wrote:The intro to Schism here sounds so familiar. Is this a full song they released later? I cant put my finger on it...

[youtube][/youtube]
Vicarious. The high keys before 'we all feed.. on tragedy'
Listen to All Them Witches
joeypants
Goderator

Post by joeypants »

xZ1mM3r wrote:The intro to Schism here sounds so familiar. Is this a full song they released later? I cant put my finger on it...

[youtube][/youtube]
The bells sound effect is indeed used in Vicarious quite prominently. The rest is them just dicking around in one of those scales they love so much. That is a GREAT rendition of Schism too, I believe from Rapid City? Arguably my favorite version of Schism ever.
joeypants
Goderator

Post by joeypants »

Also arguably the best Tool boot out there. Here's the entire show, highly recommend it.

joeypants
Goderator

Post by joeypants »

M0G wrote:
joeypants wrote:I want the digital for convenience, but I'm really hoping they go Day 1 Vinyl release on this, with the insanely creative and amazing vinyl artwork we all know they are capable of. THAT would truly be madness if they don't finally dive headfirst into an extensive vinyl package.
Question for you, do you want to see more Alex Grey or someone else doing the artwork this time around? From the tweets last year I have a feeling it's gonna be Grey again, which I kinda wish wasn't the case. As I said above I really don't care much about the album art at this point, but obviously it is going to be a thing knowing Adam, and I kinda hope it's not Grey. I like Grey, but they have done that now twice...someone completely new would be interesting
I LOVE Alex Grey to a profound degree, but I would really enjoy seeing someone else handle the art. Seeing say, James Jean, take over and do his thing in a Tool-appropriate theme would be amazing to me. I know Adam is a big fan of that artist as well. If Alex Grey is still going to be connected, hoping he maybe just does part of the overall piece (say, the disc image or something).

That said, I'm sure I'll love whatever it is, and they've never disappointed me on the art front. But if I had my druthers, Adam would bring in someone new.
tys0n
Streeper

Post by tys0n »

Strange there is no speculation around the producer they will bring in.
Canned audience laughter
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

Like the last album I don't think they'll use a producer.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

As I've said a few times, Alex Grey as the artist doesn't bother me so long as it's at the level of Lateralus. 10k Days felt like a few Alex Grey leftovers from the back of the shop that he said the band could use, rather than a concept designed for the album.

I don't really think there's any evidence around that strongly suggests what direction the album will take. That select members of Tool have seen Alex over the last few years means almost nothing - it's no secret they seem to be pretty good friends.
Ravenpig
Peen Taster

Post by Ravenpig »

UndKeineZwEier wrote:If we're being totally honest, I have gorgeous lush beautiful hair, am Latina and my name actually is UndKeineZwEier. (Having to legally change it after Fourtheye changed hosting services or servers or whatever a few years back was a real pain in the ass)
I already knew all of this.
Hey! Denty!
tys0n
Streeper

Post by tys0n »

hellboy wrote:Like the last album I don't think they'll use a producer.
Sorry engineer/mixing
Canned audience laughter
xZ1mM3r
Barnacle Bill

Post by xZ1mM3r »

tys0n wrote:
hellboy wrote:Like the last album I don't think they'll use a producer.
Sorry engineer/mixing
Nearly 3 years ago but....Image

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Yeah, I'd say odds on it'll be Joe again. I'll be surprised if it's not.

/queue the 10k days sounds terrible posts
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

I feel like the complaints about 10k days are more mastering issues that engineering/mixing ones.

Joe's a good engineer/mixer though, I'd like to see him back on the boards.
Don't mow your lawn
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

UndKeineZwEier wrote:I feel like the complaints about 10k days are more mastering issues that engineering/mixing ones.

Yeah Joe's fine. I just dislike where people apportion the blame. Tool produced the album - it sounds like they wanted it to, not how Joe wanted it too.
Capt. Shipwreck
Has been

Post by Capt. Shipwreck »

I honestly care less about an albums physical look. Who does anymore? Sure it would be nice if it was cool. Alex Gray could certainly offer something new and interesting. I wouldn’t mind a different direction though. My thing is, the album work, seems to seep into the live shows, which is more important nowadays than a cd no one looks at after a week or if that.
Last edited by Capt. Shipwreck on Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Busty McCracken
Lord Festivus

Post by Busty McCracken »

I can't remember the last time I actually flipped through the artwork to any of their album cover art so you have a point there but the images are so ingrained into my head I don't have to.

Some of us oldies still appreciate the shit out of album sleeve work and the excitement of opening up an album youre hype about, especially when its of the calibre of Tools artwork.
Listen to All Them Witches
tys0n
Streeper

Post by tys0n »

hellboy wrote:
UndKeineZwEier wrote:I feel like the complaints about 10k days are more mastering issues that engineering/mixing ones.

Yeah Joe's fine. I just dislike where people apportion the blame. Tool produced the album - it sounds like they wanted it to, not how Joe wanted it too.
Sounds Adam wanted it to me, guitar very high in the mix compared to the previous two albums
Busty McCracken wrote:
Some of us oldies still appreciate the shit out of album sleeve work and the excitement of opening up an album youre hype about, especially when its of the calibre of Tools artwork.
THIS

It would feel strange to listen to an album by Tool and not have the associated imagery running through your head.
Canned audience laughter
xZ1mM3r
Barnacle Bill

Post by xZ1mM3r »

I only care about the album artwork for the reasons mentioned here... I am not interested in flipping through and looking at the photos in the insert, but i do like to have the cover art image tied to the sounds. It kind of sets the tone for the album. Not to mention i love what they can do with vinyl gatefolds... lots of real estate to work with there
limeygringo
Green Herbsman

Post by limeygringo »

Highly unlikely and risky, but I would love to see collaborations this time around. Botrill and Barresi sharing the board would be great, as I love how Joe captured Adam's guitar, but Botrill really got the ethereal stuff and the band's dynamics right. Hell, bring back Sylvia Massey while we're at it. Champagne Jam! Though I'd love hear what the guy who did Senile Animal would do with Tool, I love the production of that record.

And I hope they do a vinyl release right out the gate. Manufacturing delays be damned! I'll refuse hearing a leaked version sans artwork just like I did with 10k days. I agree with Hellboy, fresh Alex Grey would be best if him.
Ahhh, Infotainment!
joeypants
Goderator

Post by joeypants »

10K Days sounds amazing to me and always has.
M0G
Lungsmen

Post by M0G »

Capt. Shipwreck wrote:I honestly care less about an albums physical look. Who does anymore? Sure it would be nice if it was cool. Alex Gray could certainly offer something new and interesting. I wouldn’t mind a different direction though. My thing is, the album work, seems to seep into the live shows, which is more important nowadays than a cd no one looks at after a week or if that.
Agreed. It has been so long I just don't care about the album art on this one. It could literally just say Tool and the album name in regular Times New Roman and I wouldn't give two shits.

@Hellboy and Joey - Agreed as well on 10k. The album sounds great. Botrill or Baressi I don't care ultimately the album will sound the way Tools want it. After 12 years you gotta figure they pretty much know exactly how they want this album to come out. Don't think there is any guess work or consultation needed.
The most intelligent person on this forum
Bill Hilly
Droner
Location: Leavenworth Penitentiary - Dishonorably discharged from Tool Army

Post by Bill Hilly »

You wouldn't give two shits if Tool's first album in 13 years just has their name in Times New Roman on the cover? Come on. Most of us in here are over 30. How can any of you not be psyched about seeing Tool's new album artwork? Tool's albums are presented as a complete package.

And yes, I agree that the 10K Days artwork from Alex Grey looked like it was borrowed rather than unique, but the stereoscopic pictures were pretty cool and original. I do really hope they go with someone different this time around. I want something that's going to blow me away, even if it sits on my shelf after a week.
"I'm kind of a big dill." - Schlong Burgundy
trilobite
Rhandy

Post by trilobite »

Because it'll sit in your head for at least 13 years.

If your old ass makes it that long.
also, Avatar!
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

I'm excited to see what the artwork will be.

I'm not going to pretend that I will be overly interested in looking at it much a month after it's released though.

I'd be pretty comfortable for Tool to release the album digitally, and then the physical package later. I don't need both to "fully enjoy" the album.