Random Tool Social Media thread

The Main Event
Calfium Jay
Queric
Height: 189cm

Re: Random Tool Social Media thread

Post by Calfium Jay »

ToolFanFromWayBack wrote:
Given 12 years have passed, how much pressure is there for this album to hit big?

NASA are saying that everything looks good from here.
'It is time for us to be doing what we have been doing every day. And that time is now'

Actual quote from Kamala Harris
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

UndKeineZwEier wrote:
xZ1mM3r wrote: Would they track drums with the guitar, but not track the guitar??
Yes. The drums need something to play along with so you'll usually have bass and guitar (and maybe vocals) playing too, but those tracks might not make it on the record. They usually record the final version later.
Unless they are going to record it all live (as has been mentioned before) wouldn't the drums have to be recorded in isolation since they have to be mic'd and would pick up the guitar and bass as well? Whatever their process, just freakin' happy it is moving forward.

Given 12 years have passed, how much pressure is there for this album to hit big?
Yeah, I mean a good engineer could probably do a good job of keeping bleed to a minimum with the proper techniques but isolation is usually the best approach. That said there's nothing in the video to say that the drums aren't isolated. There is an isolation booth off the control room in the pictures on the studios so that the drums might be tracked in there. Though that's really not the best setup imo.

I'm thinking now though that they might actually be trying to track this one live because they said only have Maynard for 3 weeks so they might be trying to get as many songs done by then as possible, and live would be faster than overdubbing.
Don't mow your lawn
joeypants
Goderator

Post by joeypants »

You can track drums with guitar in the room with minimal bleed. They usually do that. Tool likes to “feel” things too so they’re more prone to some of those older techniques (I.e. no in ear monitors live, etc)
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

Not really bothered how Tool go about recording the album, but I don't think their current timeline in regards to Maynard demands that they record it live.
inequitude
Has been

Post by inequitude »

shade wrote:I believe they're recording at Ocean Studios in Burbank. Pictures for comparison (note the brick wall and red lighting):
Good find!!
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

From personal experience, (not that I’m comparing my level of experience to Tool, obviously) we always tracked drums first, recording scratch guitar, bass, vox, keys just in case, but always with the primary intention of nailing the drums. It’s incredibly hard to get a drummer to nail a performance against a guitar part for example. I think this is the universal order. Also, with limited mics available, dedicating 8-10 mics to the drums was essential. Not an issue for Tool, clearly.

Once that’s done, everyone would take the isolated drum mix home to digest for a day or so, practicing their own parts against it. As a bass player, having a solid final drum track to play to always informed my part dramatically. Made a big difference in the final tracks.

I would assume they have a similar work flow, but who knows? At that high level of musicianship and being together as long as they have with such amazing chemistry, I imagine they could easily track it all live and nail it.
Ki77aan :twisted:
M0G
Lungsmen

Post by M0G »

UndKeineZwEier wrote:
xZ1mM3r wrote: Would they track drums with the guitar, but not track the guitar??
Yes. The drums need something to play along with so you'll usually have bass and guitar (and maybe vocals) playing too, but those tracks might not make it on the record. They usually record the final version later.
Unless they are going to record it all live (as has been mentioned before) wouldn't the drums have to be recorded in isolation since they have to be mic'd and would pick up the guitar and bass as well? Whatever their process, just freakin' happy it is moving forward.

Their legacy depends on this album. After 12...scratch that...what will end up being 13 years, if this album isn't a masterpiece Tool will be a fucking joke. You don't piss away what is essential a significant chunk of your prime years and then hope goodwill or fanboyism will save the day. Keep in mind Danny is not far away from sixty, so I am already concerned about his drumming being up to par. Granted if anyone can pull it off, it would be him. Bottom line Tool have everything to prove. Are they old and washed up or do they still have an Aenima or Lateralus level album left in the tank?

I AM cautiously optimistic. Enough people whose opinions I respect that have heard some of the new stuff have spoken highly of it. But I am not gonna jump on the hype train just yet.
The most intelligent person on this forum
tys0n
Streeper

Post by tys0n »

Kittaan wrote:From personal experience, (not that I’m comparing my level of experience to Tool, obviously) we always tracked drums first, recording scratch guitar, bass, vox, keys just in case, but always with the primary intention of nailing the drums. It’s incredibly hard to get a drummer to nail a performance against a guitar part for example. I think this is the universal order. Also, with limited mics available, dedicating 8-10 mics to the drums was essential. Not an issue for Tool, clearly.

Once that’s done, everyone would take the isolated drum mix home to digest for a day or so, practicing their own parts against it. As a bass player, having a solid final drum track to play to always informed my part dramatically. Made a big difference in the final tracks.

I would assume they have a similar work flow, but who knows? At that high level of musicianship and being together as long as they have with such amazing chemistry, I imagine they could easily track it all live and nail it.
Fuck off Flea
Canned audience laughter
Busty McCracken
Lord Festivus

Post by Busty McCracken »

When's the last time you saw Tool live Mog? If he can still sound that good live , I have zero concerns about what he can pull off in the studio.

Also this dont mean shit to their legacy. Realistically it will fail to live up to the hype purely for the fact that it's overhyped as all fuck plus they are not angry 20-30 year olds anymore. I have no doubt that it will be of quality but am also under no illusions that it will likely fall short of Aenima / Lateralus and thats fine. Because those albums and that moment in time will always be there and this album will have nothing to do with them apart from those who are dumb enough to judge them against something they created 20 years ago
Listen to All Them Witches
tys0n
Streeper

Post by tys0n »

I can guarantee it'll be better than anything Meshuggah have ever released.
Canned audience laughter
joeypants
Goderator

Post by joeypants »

Kittaan wrote:From personal experience, (not that I’m comparing my level of experience to Tool, obviously) we always tracked drums first, recording scratch guitar, bass, vox, keys just in case, but always with the primary intention of nailing the drums. It’s incredibly hard to get a drummer to nail a performance against a guitar part for example. I think this is the universal order. Also, with limited mics available, dedicating 8-10 mics to the drums was essential. Not an issue for Tool, clearly.

That's generally how their flow has always gone. There's a reason you don't really monkey with this formula unless you're going to just record all the tracks live at once (and even then you do lots of overdubs).

Danny definitely still has it. In studio terms I wouldn't worry about any member of this band.

And thankfully having seen them many times in the past few years, I don't worry about their live capabilities either! Ha.

This gonna be good, ya'll. Hype is the only thing that's going to let some people down I think. They'll knock the music out of the park, they always do.
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

@Tyson - I went to high school with that snaggle toothed mofo.

@Busty and Joey - Agreed. I can’t wait to have that experience again. Digesting a new Tool album will be surreal. Looooooong time coming.
Ki77aan :twisted:
joeypants
Goderator

Post by joeypants »

Kittaan wrote:
@Busty and Joey - Agreed. I can’t wait to have that experience again. Digesting a new Tool album will be surreal. Looooooong time coming.
It is the best feeling. I don't have any bands like this left in terms of my own fandom. I always liked Tool, but Lateralus was what kicked my love for them all the way up, so 10K Days was the first one I truly anticipated to the fullest. That experience of sitting down day one (with the art in hand as well) and just blasting it over and over is still firmly cemented in my brain. Cannot wait.
M0G
Lungsmen

Post by M0G »

Busty McCracken wrote:When's the last time you saw Tool live Mog? If he can still sound that good live , I have zero concerns about what he can pull off in the studio.

Also this dont mean shit to their legacy. Realistically it will fail to live up to the hype purely for the fact that it's overhyped as all fuck plus they are not angry 20-30 year olds anymore. I have no doubt that it will be of quality but am also under no illusions that it will likely fall short of Aenima / Lateralus and thats fine. Because those albums and that moment in time will always be there and this album will have nothing to do with them apart from those who are dumb enough to judge them against something they created 20 years ago
Last time I saw them live was like 9 years ago. Obviously have seen youtube vids from recent stuff. Danny at 56 going on 57 isn't the same guy. By the time this shit gets done and they actually tour he will be 58. Logically his skills are going to drop off. So sad how this band pissed away the last third of their prime years.

As for the new album, like I said, they are getting no free pass from me. After 12 years, it better be a fucking work of art, otherwise none of this has been worth it. Another 10,000 Days level album won't cut it.
xZ1mM3r
Barnacle Bill

Post by xZ1mM3r »

This is my first time experiencing a Tool album anticipation and lead up. I found Tool after 10k Days, so i had the luxury of listening to their entire catalog at once. Opiate felt as new and fresh as Jambi did.

Now that i have had 10 years of Tool, with nothing new, my anticipation is at an all time high. Im stoked that they are finally recording. My only hope is that MJK gives this album the time that it deserves. Unfortunately i think we might get a song aimed at the dumbasses complaining to MJK on twitter. My hope is that this album has 'Tool' lyrics, and not 'puscifer' lyrics over a Tool instrumental.
Bill Hilly
Droner
Location: Leavenworth Penitentiary - Dishonorably discharged from Tool Army

Post by Bill Hilly »

I don't think we have anything to worry about with the instrumentals, especially Danny fucking Carey. Yeah, he's pushing 57 but look at the guy. If he is slowing down, I haven't noticed. On the other hand, as I have mentioned already - Maynard has me a little concerned. I can pretty much settle on the fact that we will not be getting an Aenima/Lateralus-level album merely based on what Maynard is able to bring to the table at this point in his life. And also, 13 years is a very long time. This same band was poking fun of GNR and their Chinese Democracy debacle in interviews. So yes, they better bring it. I won't be sympathetic if they don't.
"I'm kind of a big dill." - Schlong Burgundy
Bill Hilly
Droner
Location: Leavenworth Penitentiary - Dishonorably discharged from Tool Army

Post by Bill Hilly »

tys0n wrote:I can guarantee it'll be better than anything Meshuggah have ever released.
and this.
"I'm kind of a big dill." - Schlong Burgundy
M0G
Lungsmen

Post by M0G »

xZ1mM3r wrote:This is my first time experiencing a Tool album anticipation and lead up. I found Tool after 10k Days, so i had the luxury of listening to their entire catalog at once. Opiate felt as new and fresh as Jambi did.

Now that i have had 10 years of Tool, with nothing new, my anticipation is at an all time high. Im stoked that they are finally recording. My only hope is that MJK gives this album the time that it deserves. Unfortunately i think we might get a song aimed at the dumbasses complaining to MJK on twitter. My hope is that this album has 'Tool' lyrics, and not 'puscifer' lyrics over a Tool instrumental.
I am excited for you. I am just so jaded after all these years it is hard to allow myself to be excited. Also, by nature, I am a pessimist. That said, I HOPE Tool deliver with what will undoubtedly be their final album. As for Maynard, I might not like him as a person, but I do respect his work ethic. He won't half ass it. To be fair, he might actually be better on this album than on 10,000 Days. On 10k, his voice was meh. You could tell all the wine had done a number on his vocal chords. I give the man credit because over the last couple of years his voice sounds better than it has in quite some time. I am 50/50 on his Puscifer work, but it is obvious him staying so active has had a positive impact on his voice. The new APC stuff he sounds really damn good, even if the music itself is bland and lacking.
M0G
Lungsmen

Post by M0G »

Bill Hilly wrote:
tys0n wrote:I can guarantee it'll be better than anything Meshuggah have ever released.
and this.
Busty McCracken
Lord Festivus

Post by Busty McCracken »

It won't matter how good the album actually turns out, if you hype it to much in your own mind, you're ultimately setting yourself up for disappointment dude. Try let it be for what it is for your own sake.

I'm hopeful the end result exceeds 10K days but don't see them ever reaching the heights of their glory days coz as you say , they're pushing late 50's. Cant think of many bands that put out a career defining album at the back end of their career.

And yes it will be better than Messugah
Listen to All Them Witches
Ravenpig
Peen Taster

Post by Ravenpig »

Bigger more famous bands than Tool have released terrible albums before during and after their primes.
Hey! Denty!
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

tys0n, I'm not cool with this thread becoming a troll fest. Feel free to contribute in a meaningful way (expressing dislike of the process is just fine) but leave the off-topic jabs out of it.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

As long as the album is on par with 10K Days, I don't think it's going to tarnish their legacy. It doesn't need to be a masterpiece, nor to I buy into the idea that having taken a long time on it necessarily means it has to be especially good.

The world will continue to turn after it's release, and it will not diminish my enjoyment of their older works.
Ravenpig
Peen Taster

Post by Ravenpig »

That^

Someone brought up Chinese Democracy. You know what the biggest problem with that was? That it was released under the name Guns N’ Roses. If Axl releases it under another name it gets a better reception.

No that doesn’t mean I think it is great, just that it honestly isn’t that bad. Go listen to it again.
Hey! Denty!
children
Metalologist

Post by children »

I am expecting the album to move in the direction of songs like Wings/10,000 Days and Intension/Right in Two, or possibly something like Rosetta Stoned even, which will make a lot of people unhappy because those were the songs that people were complaining about on 10,000 Days.

I am curious to see how TOOL has evolved since then and I am going into it with an open mind. They always challenge the listener with each album so I expect it will take many listens for all of the intricate layers to reveal themselves.

10,000 Days was like a new beginning with them going back to record at the same studio as Undertow and I think they were going back and exploring their origins a bit to understand where they should go.

This last 12 years I am sure has been part of that journey of self-discovery, with each of them individually becoming their own artists and expanding their palettes, especially Maynard with Puscifer and his wine.

Since 10,000 Days, he has been busier creatively than the entire time before. It seems with Maynard that the more projects he has going on, the better quality the output is.

It may not be a coincidence that APC and TOOL are recording albums around the same time. It is interesting that Lateralus and Mer de Noms were released within a year of each other and that the same pattern seems to be happening again. It could be intentional because maybe for some reason one project could affect the other and they are aware of this connection so they are deliberately repeating the process again. I wouldn't be surprised if another Puscifer record is being written at the same because there is so much creative energy happening right now and Maynard would want to take advantage of it. Or maybe it is a coincidence and it is happening because of some cosmic force that they have no control over and they are as bewildered by it as we are, but are simply used to it after all these years.
"That's what you get when you argue with children..." -Tyson