Random Tool Social Media thread

The Main Event
xZ1mM3r
Barnacle Bill

Re: Random Tool Social Media thread

Post by xZ1mM3r »

hellboy wrote:Definitely surprised how many cameras there were during that session. I'm guessing that was after the Q&A + mini-set part.
Yeah it looks like it was during the mingling after the thing was over. They we're tearing down Danny's drum set and such.

It does strike me as a ton of setup and tear down for what essentially isn't a concert.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk
Last edited by xZ1mM3r on Tue May 15, 2018 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
brewdog123
RIP

Post by brewdog123 »

Calfium Jay wrote:Whatever. I'm firmly with Maynard on this one.

And I'm rarely ever with Maynard......
i agree. however, danny is done with his piece. shouldnt have called him out
ziggy23
Stink Wizard

Post by ziggy23 »

- You like noisy music?
- Yes. The louder the better. Stops me from thinking.
- You don't like to think? What do you like?
- Never thought about it.
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

Huh, all this time and I never knew Satan guested on Lateralus.
Don't mow your lawn
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

Let's not forget that Maynard agreed to tour as well.
264zn
Phony

Post by 264zn »

Speaking of this tour - was I the only one who was a little surprised they didn't offer up a little more in the way of setlist changes? No? I mean its cool to hear Eulogy is being played at the clinics...but without vocals...meh.
ToolFanFromWayBack
Geacon
Height: this tall

Post by ToolFanFromWayBack »

264zn wrote:Speaking of this tour - was I the only one who was a little surprised they didn't offer up a little more in the way of setlist changes? No? I mean its cool to hear Eulogy is being played at the clinics...but without vocals...meh.
Let's be honest, other than the odd single songs here are there, the setlist has largely been the same for the last 7-8 years. I would not expect a large setlist revamp on any gig prior to touring on the new album. I was lucky enough to go to the Dallas (Grand Prarie really) concert to hear Hooker with a Penis live. The place came unglued when those first chords hit and took it to another level when Danny kicked in. Looking forward to getting the experience again!
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

264zn wrote:Speaking of this tour - was I the only one who was a little surprised they didn't offer up a little more in the way of setlist changes? No? I mean its cool to hear Eulogy is being played at the clinics...but without vocals...meh.
I'm surprised that anyone would be surprised at a lack of setlist change after all these years.
ToolFanFromWayBack
Geacon
Height: this tall

Post by ToolFanFromWayBack »

hellboy wrote:
I'm surprised that anyone would be surprised at a lack of setlist change after all these years.
I am not surprised that you are surprised that anyone would be surprised at a lack of setlist change after all these years.
Ettan
Dopocalyptic
Height: 190cm

Post by Ettan »

I'll never forget waking up in 2012 after their first show of the tour in Reno and I saw that they had a (kinda) completely new setlist.

Mini tour trivia since 2010: Here's all the songs they've added each year sans Stinkfist, Vicarious, Jambi, Schism and Forty Six and Two:

2010: Third eye, Intolerence, The Patient, Intention, Right in Two, The Pot
2011: You Lied
2012: Hooker with a Penis, Ticks and Leeches, Parabola, The Pot, Sober, Pushit
2013: Opiate
2014: Same as 2013
2015: No Quarter, Parabola, The Grudge
2016: Same as 2015 + Sweat
2017: Same as 2016 minus No Quarter, Eulogy once
2018: Same as 2017

I might have forgotten some songs. The setlist they're playing right now is basically the same as 2015 minus No Quarter.
grr915
Bronco's Fan

Post by grr915 »

Probaly completely over analyzing, and it’s very hard to tell.....but it looks to me based off of body language that Adam didn’t like Maynard’s joke too much during opiate. Lol
joeypants
Goderator

Post by joeypants »

grr915 wrote:Probaly completely over analyzing, and it’s very hard to tell.....but it looks to me based off of body language that Adam didn’t like Maynard’s joke too much during opiate. Lol
He's just walking back to his spot. He does this almost everytime they play this version of Opiate.
264zn
Phony

Post by 264zn »

hellboy wrote:
I guess the only reason I was surprised - on a somewhat (oh yep) level - is because new tunes should be just around the corner. I know know we've heard it all before, but I think this time we have a little more momentum - which could influenced a change? Perhaps not. Overall I've pretty happy with the set list change ups over the past 4-5 years! Never thought I'd see pushit and hooker down under...that was pretty fuckn awesome.
grr915
Bronco's Fan

Post by grr915 »

joeypants wrote:
grr915 wrote:Probaly completely over analyzing, and it’s very hard to tell.....but it looks to me based off of body language that Adam didn’t like Maynard’s joke too much during opiate. Lol
He's just walking back to his spot. He does this almost everytime they play this version of Opiate.
that’s what I figured, but I recall him always waiting until after the song kicked back in. Who knows lol, just having a little fun with it.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Absolutely nothing that can be read into that body language.
gamebounty
RIP

Post by gamebounty »

I kind of want to know how in on Maynard's jokes the guys are. Like, does he fill them in and they OK it, or does he just surprise them with it during the show? I might ask a question like this one day if I ever attend one of these clinics, or something along the lines of "how well do you guys all get together?" I know that's probably a gossipy fanboy question to ask, but I can't help but hope that these guys all still love each other.
"The whole world seems to have gone full gay retard" -petemasterpete
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

The band frequently joke around with their fans and each other. I don't doubt for a second that Maynard's comments weren't more than an extension of that. They may not be best pals any more, but I doubt that they are putting up with a bunch of grievances just for the money.
Busty McCracken
Lord Festivus

Post by Busty McCracken »

I imagine it would be like family. You drive each other nuts, your patience and tolerance toward them would be far less than others are extended but when it boils down to it you still love each other.
Listen to All Them Witches
lachrymologist
RIP

Post by lachrymologist »

gamebounty wrote:I kind of want to know how in on Maynard's jokes the guys are. Like, does he fill them in and they OK it, or does he just surprise them with it during the show? I might ask a question like this one day if I ever attend one of these clinics, or something along the lines of "how well do you guys all get together?" I know that's probably a gossipy fanboy question to ask, but I can't help but hope that these guys all still love each other.
I'm going to the columbus clinic tomorrow to get my TOOL fix. I may use this as my question. Obviously it would be directed at Adam. Thoughts?

I mean that specific comment at their first show in 11 months.
Ravenpig
Peen Taster

Post by Ravenpig »

The last time I saw them play May Jay said “I’ll start when I want.. fuck you” to Adam during that same part of the song.

I think it’s a running gag between them.
Hey! Denty!
_peterpwn
Has been

Post by _peterpwn »

how did you hear him saying that... he said it to the mic?
tys0n
Streeper

Post by tys0n »

No he jumped into the crowd and whispered it into Ravenpig's ear
Canned audience laughter
MobileVortex
RIP

Post by MobileVortex »

From where i was standing Adam looked upset the whole gig. From his guitar not working at the start, and other technical shit going wrong, they all seemed a little off. This was defiantly in the lower half of the tool shows I've been to.
brewdog123
RIP

Post by brewdog123 »

MobileVortex wrote:From where i was standing Adam looked upset the whole gig. From his guitar not working at the start, and other technical shit going wrong, they all seemed a little off. This was defiantly in the lower half of the tool shows I've been to.
you got a festival show...
MobileVortex
RIP

Post by MobileVortex »

brewdog123 wrote:
MobileVortex wrote:From where i was standing Adam looked upset the whole gig. From his guitar not working at the start, and other technical shit going wrong, they all seemed a little off. This was defiantly in the lower half of the tool shows I've been to.
you got a festival show...
True, but Rivers Edge and Lolla 09 are still in my top 5. Festival sets are not always worse haha.