Height: 182cm

Re: Random Tool Social Media thread

Post by hellboy »

The latest Reddit "probably full of shit" post:

Ravenpig
Peen Taster

Post by Ravenpig »

Even if that were true would it really surprise anyone?

Wouldn't the reaction be more like "...finally"?
Hey! Denty!
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Ravenpig wrote:Even if that were true would it really surprise anyone?

Wouldn't the reaction be more like "...finally"?
Yeah, they were my thoughts exactly. Tool releasing something they've been hinting at releasing for months now is not a surprise.

What will be interesting (assuming an Opiate release) is what does it entail? Are they just going to dump it on Youtube, or is it with some kind of DVD?
trilobite
Rhandy

Post by trilobite »

Reads like someone getting off on false superiority. Regardless of how 'Soon' anything drops, I couldn't see an Opiate video being released without a disc.
also, Avatar!
Busty McCracken
Lord Festivus

Post by Busty McCracken »

After all this time you'd hope they would be bringing their A game for any kind of release. If its just a film clip and an inferior re recording of a classic song I'll be hugely disappointed. Salival 2 would be nice but how many Christmases have we been saying that for now on here?
Listen to All Them Witches
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Busty McCracken wrote:Salival 2 would be nice but how many Christmases have we been saying that for now on here?
It would be nice. My guess for the Opiate video is a DVD with the video, a remix and maybe some commentary - ie like previous videos. It'd be disappointing, but I wouldn't get my hopes up for more.
Busty McCracken
Lord Festivus

Yeah sounds about spot on to what I'd expect from the release if/when it ever sees the light of day.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

xZ1mM3r
Barnacle Bill

Post by xZ1mM3r »

Twitter link doesn't say anything more than the average fan already knows/assumes. I would like to hope something is on the horizon. I would hope we get some actual news of a release in some form. Video. Album. Song. But how many times will we believe a random person claiming there will be something "soon". We've been promised a Pot video since 2012. Danny claimed they were aiming at a Christmas 2013 release for the album. The new opiate video was claimed to drop fall of 2015. Toolband.com was supposed to get an update, or a new website was being created. None of which have even been slightly true. And those claims were from the band or Blair themselves. So I'm not putting any stock into a random redditor claiming we will have 'something soon'. How more vague can you get. I cross my fingers for a real announcement, but have no date for one in mind.
aenimal
Fanboi

Post by aenimal »

I hope we at least get the video(s) by the end of the year. We're approaching Q4 of 2016 and it was pretty clear from that last newsletter that they're still in the songwriting phase, so I think the album's AT LEAST a year off yet, possibly even longer. Even 2018 is starting to look more and more likely in my mind.

The person on Reddit might be telling the truth - they said next Tool 'release', not 'album'.....which, based on the fact that they're still writing the music, no one should believe any rumored tracklists or release dates floating around out there at the moment or in the near future.
Ravenpig
Peen Taster

Post by Ravenpig »

"A new side project for M"

I reeeeeaallyyy don't seen ol' May Jay doing much music stuff (besides Tool) that wouldn't be Puscifer.

That Twitter account pretty much just threw all the fan theories from the past 10 years on there, even the "they're done after this" one.
Hey! Denty!
aenimal
Fanboi

Post by aenimal »

Ravenpig wrote:"A new side project for M"

I reeeeeaallyyy don't seen ol' May Jay doing much music stuff (besides Tool) that wouldn't be Puscifer.

That Twitter account pretty much just threw all the fan theories from the past 10 years on there, even the "they're done after this" one.
That seems to be the popular opinion (that this will be their last album), but I don't think they'd ever make any such announcement.....it's not like they're an overly prolific or active band as it is, so I don't see any reason why they'd officially call it quits. You could make the argument that they basically called it quits a decade ago! I realize they're in their 50s, but I could easily see them cranking out one more album after the upcoming one, and continuing to play live together until they're no longer able. I don't see any reason for a true "breakup" if they've tolerated each other for this long, and have kept a fanbase after so many years of minimal activity.
nxrm
Dan's Alias

Post by nxrm »

I can't share any details about my source, other than they're a really big deal in the music industry, but they know for a fact that the new Tool album/experience will first be released on Proxima b, followed by a local galaxy cluster tour, then heading back home to Earth.

The Tool "guys" were hoping to keep this under wraps for a few more months, but the scientific community was extremely nervous following the recent Gawker bankruptcy and felt they needed to get information about the new exoplanet out there before the Trump/Hogan election win in November...as it could spell doom for news of this type.

It's going to be huge guys & gals, huge I tell ya!
So Long, and Thanks for All the Tool.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

I got a few chuckles from that Twitter account that's for sure.

I don't buy into the argument that this is their last album. It may well end up being the last one, but I don't think that's it's intended to be.
xZ1mM3r
Barnacle Bill

Post by xZ1mM3r »

hellboy wrote:I got a few chuckles from that Twitter account that's for sure.

I don't buy into the argument that this is their last album. It may well end up being the last one, but I don't think that's it's intended to be.
I would guess opposite of you there hb... I think they are intending on it being their last album, but will end up wanting to do another release sometime in the future
Pimple
Green Herbsman

Post by Pimple »

Surely there is a ton of recorded music that these guys have. They must be putting awesome bits of music together all time, either together or when they are at home...
Be good to each other.
joeypants
Goderator

Post by joeypants »

Don't underestimate what a powerful motivator the "end in sight" can be. I doubt this will be their absolute last album.
xZ1mM3r
Barnacle Bill

Post by xZ1mM3r »

PimPle wrote:Surely there is a ton of recorded music that these guys have. They must be putting awesome bits of music together all time, either together or when they are at home...
a while back blair did a Q&A thing and we submitted questions. Here is my question and Blairs response:

Other than the obvious new material for the album, does tool have any unreleased or cut songs from any previous albums? Could they ever see the light of day?

BMB: Not that I am aware of

I would have thought they had lots of unreleased music too....
joeypants
Goderator

Post by joeypants »

Yeah, but the way you phrased that really just means "is there anything done/finished and recorded just sitting there." That there isn't is not very surprising to me.

However, you can bet they have a lot of half-developed ideas and things laying around that COULD be turned into something. But again, that only applies to future work/albums/releases.
earthrocker
Rhandy
Height: Short

Post by earthrocker »

However, you can bet they have a lot of half-developed ideas and things laying around that COULD be turned into something. But again, that only applies to future work/albums/releases.

Just a hunch...do you think Burnt Amber (there was some other fan output that recently closed also can't remember the name), for example, might have been contacted by the band and asked whether they could use the material?
Deftones!
xZ1mM3r
Barnacle Bill

Post by xZ1mM3r »

earthrocker wrote:

Just a hunch...do you think Burnt Amber (there was some other fan output that recently closed also can't remember the name), for example, might have been contacted by the band and asked whether they could use the material?
extremely unlikely... Tool has been recording their own shows for years. Im sure they have FAR better quality recordings than from some guy in the audience.
aenimal
Fanboi

Post by aenimal »

joeypants wrote:Yeah, but the way you phrased that really just means "is there anything done/finished and recorded just sitting there." That there isn't is not very surprising to me.

After the release of (I believe) both Lateralus and 10,000 Days, there were interviews where band members stated they had a bunch of leftover material that didn't make the albums, and that they potentially could have another record out much quicker the next time, since they had so much stuff to work with.

And I swear Blair mentioned once, possibly in a newsletter, that there was a track cut from 10,000 Days, and that he was very surprised it didn't wind up making the album. Long time ago, probably back in 2006 I seem to remember reading that.
xZ1mM3r
Barnacle Bill

Post by xZ1mM3r »

aenimal wrote:
joeypants wrote:Yeah, but the way you phrased that really just means "is there anything done/finished and recorded just sitting there." That there isn't is not very surprising to me.

After the release of (I believe) both Lateralus and 10,000 Days, there were interviews where band members stated they had a bunch of leftover material that didn't make the albums, and that they potentially could have another record out much quicker the next time, since they had so much stuff to work with.

And I swear Blair mentioned once, possibly in a newsletter, that there was a track cut from 10,000 Days, and that he was very surprised it didn't wind up making the album. Long time ago, probably back in 2006 I seem to remember reading that.

I dont doubt it, i would be surprised if Tool have never cut tracks from an album... If you could find that interview/newsletter that would be awesome. I would be intersted to hear about it.

I know Danny has stated that they had to cut a lot of intro/outro/segues from Lateralus due to time constraints. Im sure that happens on every record. The reason i asked blair about the cut tracks is that Tool was playing Wings for Marie intro back in 2002, made me wonder if it was a fully fleshed out song that was intended for Lateralus but ended up getting cut and made it onto 10000 days. I would love to know more about their album assembly process
Busty McCracken
Lord Festivus

No doubt they'd have a lot of unfinished riffs lying around but given it's been 10 years and counting, I wouldn't be too hopeful on too many unused near completed songs lying around. I also wouldn't be concentrating too much on a next album after this one either. Lets just get this one out in the universe hopefully first..