Re: Random Tool Social Media thread

Post by tys0n »

$65 for 4 glasses is a steal.
Canned audience laughter
Busty McCracken
Lord Festivus

Post by Busty McCracken »

Ahahahaha this is amazing! Not the least bit surprising but amazing all the same! A countdown clock to a merchandise sale... :lol: send more money indeed.
Listen to All Them Witches
Spoonman
Geacon

Post by Spoonman »

Big question:

Is this the very exciting, wicked news we've been waiting for?
ms2r
Uncle Fucker

Post by ms2r »

Well, wicked it is. But I still think a vinyl is really wicked.
bob
Toast

Post by bob »

mattw wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 5:12 am I was kinda hoping that clicking on the final tab listed as 'Fear Inoculum' would suddenly reveal you can order it on vinyl or some new 'deluxe' version or another update they've made but... nothing too exciting. :(

When the signed Lateralus vinyls were just quietly sitting there many many years ago that was so cool. Today was the opposite I guess.
i remember having a signed Lateralus sitting in my cart when those went on sale but the not ever having records thing i figured it wasnt worth it. its also kinda hard to display those signed and getting it shadowed boxed or whatever wasnt the look i wanted so i passed on it. If it were ''today'' theres a good chance some ahole would of had it by then, buying what he could to raffle off or sell for a flipped poster going for double of what it costed. its not fun anymore.

junior wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 6:19 pm
bob wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 2:25 am are Busty and i the only ones that dont do records ? i never had it, never bothered and wouldnt after all these years.
I had records in the 70's and 80's. In the 70's it was still the best quality format, unless you had a large format reel-to-reel tape machine, I suppose. I didn't have one of those, but I remember that format as an option in the Columbia House Record and Tape Club.
but to me the CD was the right step. Clearer sound with next to no maintenance compared to trying to keep records pristine, and portability as a bonus. To each their own, but it made the most sense for me.
They had Columbia House back in the 70's selling reel to reel ? wow! i didnt know that way of buying music was a thing that far back. Someone pointed out to me long ago that CDS have better high end then records but records are better in the bass department. its true, records high end is hissy but on cds its much cleaner and bass on cds can be lacking but thats changing kinda. Vinyl does have a warmth to it, i get it but like Cd's, records can sound like garbage too depending on how its mastered and all that. I mostly listen to stuff right were im sitting now, my computer. im a slave to modern tech i guess! :?
lukas
Geacon

Post by lukas »

I guess the relaunch of the webshop has something to do with the upcoming vinyl release.
bob
Toast

Post by bob »

lukas wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 6:13 am I guess the relaunch of the webshop has something to do with the upcoming vinyl release.
if you wanna wrap your FI vinyl in a blanket i guess it does. Summer time someone suggested might be the time for that ? not official word or anything but Adam used some summer theme in his IG post or something like that ? according to a post on here a bit ago i think it was.
junior
Green Herbsman

Post by junior »

bob wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 4:48 amThey had Columbia House back in the 70's selling reel to reel ? wow! i didnt know that way of buying music was a thing that far back.
According to wikipedia "The Columbia Record Club began marketing stereo records and equipment in 1959, reel-to-reel recordings (via the Columbia Reel-To-Reel Club) in 1960, 8-track cartridges (via the Columbia Cartridge Club) in 1966, and cassettes (via the Columbia Cassette Club) in 1969.
The Columbia Record Club was also notable in continuing to issue product in formats no longer available on the commercial market. After the major record labels quit releasing albums on reel to reel tape format, Columbia still continued to make select new titles available on reel tape up until 1984."

"Columbia House advertisements in 1978 showed that only one-third of new titles were available on reel-to-reel; they continued to offer a select number of new releases in the format until 1984."
ziggy23
Stink Wizard

Post by ziggy23 »

ziggy23 wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:26 am
nxrm wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:11 pm And now there’s a countdown clock on the Tool Store...

new t-shirts:D
Spoonman wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 5:01 am A dozen new shirts....seriously?
LMAO, I was right :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
- You like noisy music?
- Yes. The louder the better. Stops me from thinking.
- You don't like to think? What do you like?
- Never thought about it.
tys0n
Streeper

Post by tys0n »

Listening to Lateralus right now and thinking how much better it could have been with random samples of Al Pacino saying ho-ah! filtered throughout the album, maybe a random 'Say hello to my little friend' in there somewhere, just throwing this out there.
Canned audience laughter
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

ziggy23 wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 6:58 am
The sad thing is that pretty much no one was surprised by the outcome
bob
Toast

Post by bob »

hellboy wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 3:28 am
Maybe they'll realize that method of things doesnt work much anymore. it still gets people talking which is effective, i doubt they will change. kinda lame though, just once couldnt they be more straight forward and normal about stuff ? o'tool!

and thanks Junior, reel to reel up till 1984! I bet ya can find some of that stuff on youtube. I joined Columbia House in the mid 90s, thinking it really was a penny a disc till a bill showed up a month or two later, baah! being young i fell for the bate but got some alright stuff so i didnt mind paying the 'extra'.
ziggy23
Stink Wizard

Post by ziggy23 »

hellboy wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 3:28 am
My day was ruined. What a cruel band Tool is.
- You like noisy music?
- Yes. The louder the better. Stops me from thinking.
- You don't like to think? What do you like?
- Never thought about it.
junior
Green Herbsman

Post by junior »

bob wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 7:00 am and thanks Junior, reel to reel up till 1984! I bet ya can find some of that stuff on youtube. I joined Columbia House in the mid 90s, thinking it really was a penny a disc till a bill showed up a month or two later, baah! being young i fell for the bate but got some alright stuff so i didnt mind paying the 'extra'.
All you had to do was forget to return one of the selection-of-the-month cards and the next thing you know you had an album you didn't want. And that could easily tidal-wave. It was a dangerous game. That said, I did get some good deals. In many cases you were essentially getting a replica of the retail version with "Manufactured by Columbia House" on it, and sometimes they didn't include all of the same packaging (booklets, etc.).

Anyway...
bob
Toast

Post by bob »

ah, so there was more tricks to the trade. I did one order and it was over, glad i didnt get anything like that. My first cd was Depeche Modes - Black Celebration. i still have it and its in good shape too! Not from Columbia House. I had Opiate on cassette but someone ''borrowed'' it. I found Undertow at a pawn shop in the early 2000's on cassette which i still have. I use to listen to that in my old work truck.

Who had 8 tracks laying around ? thats the first format i ever heard music on im pretty sure. The Village People was the first thing i remember hearing when i was like 3 or something, i was pretty into it, haha.
Bobby Bottleservice
Basssssssss

Post by Bobby Bottleservice »

I was definitely not shocked or surprised. I was really not expecting anything crazy like a tour announcement because that is not happening real soon. The Tool store has actually sucked for a while,(better now) so this is kind of a plus. I like the blankets, but yes, too much money for things like the shot glasses. You guys are expecting too much & too fast from a slow working band. I do hope they start getting faster at their jobs (because they are getting older and I think their base audience is getting older) Maybe they should change the band name from tool to snail.
Spoonman
Geacon

Post by Spoonman »

So, you guys think that was the "wicked" news?
Whowatchesthewampas
Green Herbsman
Height: 6

Post by Whowatchesthewampas »

Spoonman wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:35 pm So, you guys think that was the "wicked" news?
Something wicked this way comes, in the form of Alex Grey inspired blankets!!!
Falling isn't flying
Floating isn't infinite
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

Who can tell? But IMO, with Tools like these guys, it’s best to keep expectations extremely low with everything except the music they make. Then you will almost definitely probably likely won’t be too awfully totally somewhat disappointed, overly-ish. Yafeelme?
Ki77aan :twisted:
Spoonman
Geacon

Post by Spoonman »

Kittaan wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:45 am Who can tell? But IMO, with Tools like these guys, it’s best to keep expectations extremely low with everything except the music they make. Then you will almost definitely probably likely won’t be too awfully totally somewhat disappointed, overly-ish. Yafeelme?
And yet you will.

Guaranteed.
junior
Green Herbsman

Post by junior »

bob wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 4:15 pm Who had 8 tracks laying around ? thats the first format i ever heard music on im pretty sure.
I never had 8 Track. My neighbors had it, and I always thought it was inferior. Sometimes songs would just stop or change mid-song if the track ran out of space. They were portable, but weren't for me. I recorded my records onto cassette for on-the-go stuff.
8-track, reel-to-reel, and DAT are probably the only formats I haven't had.

This is plenty off-topic, I suppose, but there's not much on-topic these days besides the new merch store. Oh, and Danny is playing gigs with the Doug Webb Group and Jamie Kime Group at the Baked Potato soon (May 22 and 27, respectively), and also in San Diego with Doug Webb at Queen Bee's on May 7.
Busty McCracken
Lord Festivus

Post by Busty McCracken »

New EP Sep 2021, heard it here first.
Listen to All Them Witches
ms2r
Uncle Fucker

Post by ms2r »

junior wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 1:13 pm
bob wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 4:15 pm Who had 8 tracks laying around ? thats the first format i ever heard music on im pretty sure.
I never had 8 Track. My neighbors had it, and I always thought it was inferior. Sometimes songs would just stop or change mid-song if the track ran out of space. They were portable, but weren't for me. I recorded my records onto cassette for on-the-go stuff.
8-track, reel-to-reel, and DAT are probably the only formats I haven't had.

This is plenty off-topic, I suppose, but there's not much on-topic these days besides the new merch store. Oh, and Danny is playing gigs with the Doug Webb Group and Jamie Kime Group at the Baked Potato soon (May 22 and 27, respectively), and also in San Diego with Doug Webb at Queen Bee's on May 7.
That last bit is good news. Seems his hand injury recovered. Right?
tys0n
Streeper

Post by tys0n »

New Tool music, get fucking real
Canned audience laughter
ms2r
Uncle Fucker

Post by ms2r »

Not before 2023. But let us be surpised!