The Main Event
not tyson
Grammy Winner
Height: 186cm

Re: Random Tool Social Media thread

Post by not tyson »

hellboy wrote:
Not Tyson wrote:Only 44 in stock!
It is very interesting, and easy to be cynical on why seemingly large quantities of this keep getting "found".
44 is large to you?

That doesn't even break 5k in sales.
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

Not Tyson wrote:
hellboy wrote:
Not Tyson wrote:Only 44 in stock!
It is very interesting, and easy to be cynical on why seemingly large quantities of this keep getting "found".
44 is large to you?

That doesn't even break 5k in sales.
Not so much in a sales perspective, but over the last few months there seem to have been at least 300 of these found and sold. That's quite large box.
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

It's for the fans.
Don't mow your lawn
Ravenpig
Peen Taster

Post by Ravenpig »

Well the way Blair wrote in that newsletter it did seem like he was saying stock would be sold in portions so this doesn't really surprise me.

Plus as Tyson said, making about 5 grand from these, a good amount of which won't even go to the band, isn't even that much.
Hey! Denty!
Ravenpig
Peen Taster

Post by Ravenpig »

Plus they could easily be charging $20, $30 more a piece.
Hey! Denty!
N.Y.H.C.
Serial Thrilla

Post by N.Y.H.C. »

has anyone ever thrown around the idea that the live DVD footage begins and ends with the Salival released tracks?
Asteroids do not concern me, Admiral. I want that ship, not excuses.
not tyson
Grammy Winner

Post by not tyson »

What?

They pro-shot a fuck ton of Lateralus tours.
Ettan
Dopocalyptic
Height: 190cm

Post by Ettan »

They filmed this one. Would love to see it surface one day, Lateralus tour easily the best tour
[BBvideo 560,340][/BBvideo]
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Not Tyson wrote:What?

If by fuck-ton you mean a handful then I guess you're right. The video record pretty much everything, but for the most part it's not of a standard good enough for a professional release.
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

hellboy wrote:The video recorded pretty much everything, but for the most part it's not of a standard good enough for a professional release.
Yeah, this was confirmed by Junior not that long ago, right here. And he oughta know.
azbay wrote:I wonder also if that webpage Kittaan found several months back will happen with the signed lateralus vinyls? Hmmm....
@ AZ - that signed Lateralus page was just a very old link to the TA Shopping Bazaar (I think) that I had saved. It was kind of a joke, sorry if that wasn't clear.
Ki77aan :twisted:
gerbil
My pain is just an excuse

Post by gerbil »

I would love for Tool to pull an APC and put out live versions of all their albums. Not straight live club shows like APC, but compilations of the songs.

Seriously, listening to some of the IEMs and better recordings from 2012 and 2014, it's incredible the vocal flourishes Maynard along with Adam's pieces over the second verse of Stinkfist. The slide solo in Ænima is the best I've ever heard it aside from the album.

Plus the band seems to be having fun. Danny's throwing in extra fills and Justin's really expanding the effects on his bass.

In some ways, it's hard to listen to the album versions without almost hearing them as earlier demos.
joeypants
Goderator

Post by joeypants »

And think of a PROPERLY MIXED version! Good as those IEM mixes are (especially the matrix versions), they're kind of ass mix wise because the vocals are too high.

I would LOVE for Tool to eventually do a 5-6 city run of "an album each night" shows. Can you imagine the scalped prices I would have to (and totally would) pay to see those?

edit: on the subject of IEMs, that Charlotte one from 2014 highlights Justin's work on Jambi in a way I've never heard. In the "heavy chug" section right before he kicks into the talk box solo (after the pause following "...might as well be gone"), Justin does this fucking AMAZING funky sounding little downward progression/fill that just blew my mind. It's such an oddly funky sounding thing over this HEAVY piece of music yet it works so well. Drooool.

this is the Reno version, but you can't hear it as well as Charlotte. It's right at 4:11 in although you should listen to the lead up. Really wish I could find the Charlotte IEM version on youtube.

Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

That is a tasty little run. I'd love to hear him playing more like that with Danny. It's a wonderful dance.

Fucking best rhythm section in rock CURRENTLY.

And anyone who thinks MJK is done as a live vocalist is clearly not paying attention. Yes, he has limitations, but he works around them well. As long as he wants to be at a show, I want to be there too.
Ki77aan :twisted:
Ettan
Dopocalyptic
Height: 190cm

Post by Ettan »

Maynard is still a class vocalist but he holds back way too much
Ravenpig
Peen Taster

Post by Ravenpig »

May Jay has been way better the last 3 years than he was the 3 years before that. He must've figured something out, maybe not so much red wine while on tour?
Ettan wrote:Maynard is still a class vocalist but he holds back way too much
I think this is what it is more than anything. Every once in a while he still goes pretty nuts, like that Atlanta tour ending concert from the 2012 tour (I think).
Hey! Denty!
joeypants
Goderator

Post by joeypants »

Ravenpig wrote:May Jay has been way better the last 3 years than he was the 3 years before that. He must've figured something out, maybe not so much red wine while on tour?
Hands down the two best performances I've seen out of him he was arguably shitfaced on red wine. So who knows. Maybe he got the dosage just right.
inequitude
Has been

Post by inequitude »

The recent sales of Salival are generating new turnover for content they were/are being sued for; they could be flogging these off to act intentionally litigious if they still need to prove their general liability insurance policy glove fits. Unlikely, but worth a thought.
Also, the 'lenticular' stuff flippantly mentioned recently was orig a product using CDL artwork back in the day, right? Poking the pig, much.
N.Y.H.C.
Serial Thrilla

Post by N.Y.H.C. »

being the live shit was already mastered and released all they would have to edit is the video and slap the wav on it. they should re-relase the Salival live tracks with the video as a Christmas gift and put it out. that way it's not a "from scratch" undertaking. figure 30% of it is ready to go. no?
Asteroids do not concern me, Admiral. I want that ship, not excuses.
not tyson
Grammy Winner

Post by not tyson »

inequitude wrote:The recent sales of Salival are generating new turnover for content they were/are being sued for; they could be flogging these off to act intentionally litigious if they still need to prove their general liability insurance policy glove fits. Unlikely, but worth a thought.
Also, the 'lenticular' stuff flippantly mentioned recently was orig a product using CDL artwork back in the day, right? Poking the pig, much.
So they are acting like cunts?

I like it.
Calfium Jay
Queric
Height: 189cm

Post by Calfium Jay »

Not Tyson wrote: So they are acting like cunts?

I like it.

You could more or less teach classes on how to be a cunt.
'It is time for us to be doing what we have been doing every day. And that time is now'

Actual quote from Kamala Harris
not tyson
Grammy Winner

Post by not tyson »

Calfium Jay wrote:
Not Tyson wrote: So they are acting like cunts?

I like it.

You could more or less teach classes on how to be a cunt.
You, Crow, hell the majority on here hold this view, I just don't get it.

I'm a fucking cherub in real life.

Not that I ever get upset by it, I'd rather be misunderstood than ignored.
not tyson
Grammy Winner

Post by not tyson »

N.Y.H.C. wrote:

being the live shit was already mastered and released all they would have to edit is the video and slap the wav on it. they should re-relase the Salival live tracks with the video as a Christmas gift and put it out. that way it's not a "from scratch" undertaking. figure 30% of it is ready to go. no?
The main reason they will not ever release a live dvd during the bands career, that being until they are done and dusted, the drumsticks and guitar straps are hung up is because all Tool has now is their live show. They probably believe that releasing live footage of their live show would decrease the value of their live show.

Solid thinking.

Think about it, what other fucking band have you had to go through a fucking frisking just to see them?

I had to empty my pockets last time I saw them, the fucking dickhead even rifled through my rollies.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Not Tyson wrote: Think about it, what other fucking band have you had to go through a fucking frisking just to see them?
Pretty much every other rock/metal band that plays at the equivalent venue.
not tyson
Grammy Winner

Post by not tyson »

hellboy wrote:
Not Tyson wrote: Think about it, what other fucking band have you had to go through a fucking frisking just to see them?
Bull fucking shit.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Thrillhouse wrote:
hellboy wrote:
Bull fucking shit.
Not bullshit. There are few bands that I see at similar venues these days, but I'm sure friskings were done at the NIN/QOTSA gig here at the Ent. Centre.