Random Tool Social Media thread

The Main Event
MobileVortex
RIP

Re: Random Tool Social Media thread

Post by MobileVortex »

I just keep going back to what Justin said at the music clinic i went to. " this is the biggest thing we have ever worked on, it will be worth the wait " Damn it would be nice to get a bone. I generally think if Aug was the timeline, at least Maynard would be on twitter telling us it will be a while.
Ettan
Dopocalyptic
Height: 190cm

Post by Ettan »

Aftershock Festival leak confirmed real by Tool on Twitter just now.
MobileVortex
RIP

Post by MobileVortex »

A little different then the leak yesterday.

rinkwhopper
Has been

Post by rinkwhopper »

And there goes the April newsletter with nothing but Aftershock announcement.
lukas
Geacon

Post by lukas »

May 05 will break the silence. If not, there is no new album.
budsyralli
Fornicraster
Height: this tall

Post by budsyralli »

M0G wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:07 am New Song
New Song
New Song
New Song
New Song
New Song
New Song
I agree
go taff!
SirGreat
Maynard Believer

Post by SirGreat »

Regarding the emails sent to record stores, can someone tell me why this email would be sent out at all? Is this a normal thing for record companies to do this far ahead of time?

Also, would this email only be sent to big chain music sellers, or would my small neighbourhood record store also receive an email like this? My city, as far as I know, no longer has any big chain sellers.
rshforgothispw
Fornicraster

Post by rshforgothispw »

lukas wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:21 am May 05 will break the silence. If not, there is no new album.
Yeah they have that date on the front page (the Rockville festival) but no other dates.
rshforgothispw
Fornicraster

Post by rshforgothispw »

Upcoming Website Maintenance

Over the next few weeks, toolband.com (including the Tool Army) will be moving servers and undergoing some backend updates.
Your membership will not be affected but you may notice some changes in site appearance and functionality during this time. The only thing you'll need to do is reset your password and we'll let you know when it's time to do that.
For now, here are a few things you can do to prepare your account:
1. Make sure all your contact information is current. Log into your Tool Army account, click on "my profile" and then click on "settings" to confirm that your email address is correct.
2. If your membership is expiring between now and May 31st, it's a good idea to go ahead and renew now just to make sure there are no gaps in your membership during this time period.
If you have any questions or concerns, please email your support team support+tool@onelivemedia.com, otherwise stay tuned for more info.
- Tool Army

Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube

View In Browser

Terms of Use • Privacy • Contact • Unsubscribe

2416 W Victory Blvd. #579 Burbank, California 91506
MobileVortex
RIP

Post by MobileVortex »

At least we have a timeline for something...
mattw
Geacon

Post by mattw »

Yeah I got that email from TOOL this morning so that tells me something big is happening. They haven't emailed me from that site since I ordered the Opiate 21st anniversary thing back in 2013 and I got a confirmation of shipping email. It shows they've actually done something worth contacting us about here.

Rammstein just announced their new album arrives Friday, May 17. Back in 2006, both TOOL and Pearl Jam released their new records on the same day. TOOL and Rammstein on May 17 this year would be kinda cool.
nousername
of Arimathea

Post by nousername »

MobileVortex wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:40 pm At least we have a timeline for something...
Maybe, but I got two emails with the exact same text. One for ToolArmy and one for Megadeth's (the free, lower tiered version) CyberArmy. Megadeth doesn't have an album coming out anytime soon. I think many of these fan club websites were hosted by the same company, so they might just be doing general changes/improvements. So it might not be new album related.
mattw
Geacon

Post by mattw »

^Fair enough.

It was exciting to see an email from TOOL in my inbox this morning though. For about 5 seconds I thought something really big was happening... it's been too long :)
M0G
Lungsmen

Post by M0G »

Not gonna happen Matt I wish for you it would I really do my friend but there is absolutely no way in hell the album is coming out in three weeks. May is off the table. June is likely off the table. July is a maybe at this point. For May to have been realistic we would have had to have gotten an announcement early April. Don't expect anything in May. No single. No album. Nothing. I have no idea what bullshit game Tool are playing at or what the hold up is this time. If it is indeed artwork it is ridiculous. I literally don't care about the artwork at all it has been way too long. I don't even care what they call the album. Just release the album digitally and let us be done with this. The album is mastered and finished it could be up on ITunes and Amazon in a few weeks.

But nope, instead we have Adam screwing around trying to make some kind of 3d glow in the dark cold fusion cd packaging during a time when CD packaging means absolutely nothing. It is a digital world. I would have rather have had a new album digitally with basic cover art than having to wait for August for some super deluxe Alex Grey nonsense that I won't buy or look at.
The most intelligent person on this forum
tys0n
Streeper

Post by tys0n »

Holy shit, the return of Staind!

I dind't even know they were gone.
Canned audience laughter
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

M0G wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:01 pm Not gonna happen Matt I wish for you it would I really do my friend but there is absolutely no way in hell the album is coming out in three weeks. May is off the table. June is likely off the table. July is a maybe at this point.
Sure, but last time I checked there's still a week left of April, and May is 4 weeks long.

Let's be clear though - I don't expect there will be an album out in May. It's too early to rule out other months.

edit: I see you were talking to another Matt. The email is more or less debunked in that all Full Screen Direct clients seem to have got the same thing
mattw
Geacon

Post by mattw »

Yeah I actually respect the MJK update when he said mid May to mid July. I think that was genuine and came at a time when we all really wanted to know etc.

I also think it would be a little disingenuous for them to be touring May 5 to July 2 and then release their new album. Fans at such shows (myself included) will feel kinda ripped off if they didn't play any new material.

I'm just going off what they did the last two times they've released albums but also take into consideration how the internet now influences a lot of what we do with regard to new information and promoting a new album. TOOL didn't have a Facebook page or Twitter account back in 2001 when Lateralus came out, Adam Jones wasn't on Instagram, Danny didn't have a website and Puscifer was just an idea...

Even releasing 'singles' now as promotion is slightly different and how do you release a single if all of your new songs are like 8+ minutes long?

I'm not too concerned here.
gamebounty
RIP

Post by gamebounty »

I'm excited! Seeing that email this morning was cool. I know that the website is shit and everything, but this is just more icing on the cake for me, and hopefully there are some improvements to the way the site is run.
"The whole world seems to have gone full gay retard" -petemasterpete
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

gamebounty wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:30 pm I'm excited! Seeing that email this morning was cool. I know that the website is shit and everything, but this is just more icing on the cake for me, and hopefully there are some improvements to the way the site is run.
I wouldn't get your hopes up!
inequitude
Has been

Post by inequitude »

Do record stores (excluding vinyl and used CDs) even really exist anymore? Not in my world. One of the last CDs I bought was 10k days in Melbourne – HMV (or Virgin?) had a midnight opening in Bourke St mall and the line stretched about 100m down Swanston St. Listening parties for invited journos took place a week or two before. The buzz was the leak was a decoy so that added to the hype. Someone took Panoptican by ISIS and renamed it to new tool songs and threw it on Limewire. I remember it being quite convincing. Good times.

Each release from Tool since mid 90s came with some physical gimmick to add to the experience – lenticular / translucent CD sleeves, Salival box/DVD menu, stereoscopic lens, Vicarious video with the single – all of these have depended on the ability to physically package a release.
Without being made available on one of the big online platforms how would you go about releasing an album like this? Radiohead and NIN did some interesting digital release stuff which springs to mind. Any other examples?
Interesting the website maintenance email went out – moving servers and doing backend updates – good timing. The current logo that replaced Lateralus came out a little before 10k release on that squiggly splash page by Joshua Davis who they never ended up collaborating with. I might be getting it confused and that one had the Lateralus Logo and was removed before 10k.

Either way - time for a new logo?
Release album on their site with some sort of (interactive) digital packaging?
Server upgrades and backend updates to cope with forecast traffic??
mattw
Geacon

Post by mattw »

I think TOOL are going to stick with their current logo. I didn't really like the Lateralus logo and the current logo just feels very branded into us by now. Given how little they have put out over the last 13 years (Vicarious vid, Opiate re-release - that's it), I think they would've done a new logo by now if it was happening. I think of the current TOOL logo as being like the stylized writing of NIN with the back to front N; it's just something consistent going forward etc.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

There's a bunch of good records stores in Melbourne, just like there are in Adelaide. You just need to look a little harder. The big Virgin/HMV/Sanity chains have all gone bust, but there's no real shortage if indie places.

Alternatively, there are plenty of online stores too. I've ordered from these guys before: https://www.nervegas.com.au/

FWIW, I ordered 10,000 Days from an online store (JB Hifi I think) back in the day because I lived in a rural area where there were no actual record stores. This time around I'll pick up up from one of the local shops.
bob
Toast

Post by bob »

I think of the current TOOL logo as being like the stylized writing of NIN with the back to front N; it's just something consistent going forward etc.
aah! i hope not. the 90s TOOL logo was my fav. call me old fashioned, i donno. my friend thought the Lateralus logo looked like buildings. haha it kinda does. the new one i never liked. not an overly big deal but this circle thing has been around way too long.
M0G
Lungsmen

Post by M0G »

hellboy wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:39 pm
gamebounty wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:30 pm I'm excited! Seeing that email this morning was cool. I know that the website is shit and everything, but this is just more icing on the cake for me, and hopefully there are some improvements to the way the site is run.
I wouldn't get your hopes up!
Sometimes I forget how young some of the members are lol

@gamebounty - a little history lesson for you. Fella named Chris Graves used to run Tool’s websites. Rumor back in the day was Tool wasn’t willing to pay him what he was asking (and deserved) to do the job so he quit. For awhile no one was doing any kind of maintenance or upkeep on Toolband or Toolarmy. They finally hired a company to do the back end upkeep but many years went by with no real IT/web development guy or gal running the show.
The most intelligent person on this forum
bob
Toast

Post by bob »

i never heard that rumour before but thats a shame and fits in to something else. i heard they dont pay there road crew anymore then they have to. i guess some artists are a bit better with the hired help but apparently not so with them. they do like money and over charge for signed shit at there shows now, so no surprise i guess. sucks hearing that though.