Random Tool Social Media thread

The Main Event
junior
Green Herbsman

Re: Random Tool Social Media thread

Post by junior »

ms2r wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 3:42 am The drumvideo of Danny playing Pneuma!
Pretty sure that was shot specifically for Vic Firth.
Spoonman
Geacon

Post by Spoonman »

junior wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 2:01 pm
Spoonman wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 3:20 am Wasn't there also a rumour about they had cameras at some shows of the Lateralus tour?

I have hundreds of bootlegs and never saw any camera, camera operator or whatever.
Is there any prove?
That was November of 2002, near the end of the Lateralus run. I don't remember the exact cities, but it was in the cluster of Albuquerque through Reno. It was something like 4 or 5 cameras per night with the locations changed each night to get more shot variety. I think one night there were 2 cameras about 30-50' from the stage in little mini-barricade islands, otherwise they were mostly on stage (as in the photos in another post) and back by the sound/light area.
Hi Junior,
thanks for the information!
Now that I know it's true, frustration reaches a new level :lol:
Busty McCracken
Lord Festivus

Post by Busty McCracken »

This is amazing news Junior!!! THey need to release that, a live dvd form lateralus.. #drooling
Listen to All Them Witches
bob
Toast

Post by bob »

Busty McCracken wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 10:33 pm This is amazing news Junior!!! THey need to release that, a live dvd form lateralus.. #drooling
you guys are amatures if you didnt know the last 5 or 6 shows of the Laterlaus 2002 were video taped :P theres one boot i remember seeing Camella or whoever up close on Adam playing his Virus Indigo. I cant remember what show it was but its out there.

Word was they werent happy with the footage and never released it. that was just word on the street but after all this time im not expecting to see that. maybe when they retire they will CASH out on stuff like this or something.
bob
Toast

Post by bob »

hellboy wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 10:32 pm
bob wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 9:57 pm
haha, thats a good one! they wont do f all if money isnt involved. it would be nice if they proved that wrong but i dont think so.
Not sure that's the reason - they also do fuck all when money is involved
aah, Mogs right. sometimes your too much of a tool sympathizer HB. hehe

hope your doing well though dude during this weird time.
Spoonman
Geacon

Post by Spoonman »

A live DVD from the Lateralus tour - that would be something I called "...a gift for the fans..." (quote: A. J.).
rinkwhopper
Has been

Post by rinkwhopper »

I was kind of expecting they would do a little more to celebrate the release of this album, given how long it took to materialize. Like a video at least... something special, I don’t know what exactly. But then again, not surprised. Just the album and the album again repackaged.
junior
Green Herbsman

Post by junior »

bob wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 11:30 pm
Busty McCracken wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 10:33 pm This is amazing news Junior!!! THey need to release that, a live dvd form lateralus.. #drooling
you guys are amatures if you didnt know the last 5 or 6 shows of the Laterlaus 2002 were video taped :P theres one boot i remember seeing Camella or whoever up close on Adam playing his Virus Indigo. I cant remember what show it was but its out there.

Word was they werent happy with the footage and never released it. that was just word on the street but after all this time im not expecting to see that. maybe when they retire they will CASH out on stuff like this or something.
Yeah, not exactly news. I was just re-stating some of the history of it.
They have their reasons for shelving it, and I don't know what all of those reasons are. Sometimes things just don't work out.
Maybe in the end the footage just didn't feel unique enough to make something that was different from "just another concert video".
Being that it was all shot in the last week of the tour, and they didn't tour again for 3.5 years, a do-over wasn't in the cards, if that's what would have satisfied the needs.
Ultimately it's their footage, and if they don't feel it represents what they were trying to say, then that's that.
Maybe someday. Who knows.
Bobby Bottleservice
Basssssssss

Post by Bobby Bottleservice »

junior wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 2:01 pm
Spoonman wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 3:20 am Wasn't there also a rumour about they had cameras at some shows of the Lateralus tour?

I have hundreds of bootlegs and never saw any camera, camera operator or whatever.
Is there any prove?
That was November of 2002, near the end of the Lateralus run. I don't remember the exact cities, but it was in the cluster of Albuquerque through Reno. It was something like 4 or 5 cameras per night with the locations changed each night to get more shot variety. I think one night there were 2 cameras about 30-50' from the stage in little mini-barricade islands, otherwise they were mostly on stage (as in the photos in another post) and back by the sound/light area.
I was lucky enough to attend one of these shows. November 19th 2002 in Phoenix Arizona. This was Justin's birthday and at the end of the show - several people (I am assuming they were part of the crew) sprayed Justin with silly string. From what I remember, the last seven shows (of this tour) were all recorded. Not sure if Maynard announced the recordings during this show or if I read it (too long ago). I can definitely say there were several people with recording gear on the stage. It was not that noticeable, but they were recording.
bob
Toast

Post by bob »

junior wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 3:16 pm
bob wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 11:30 pm

Yeah, not exactly news. I was just re-stating some of the history of it.
They have their reasons for shelving it, and I don't know what all of those reasons are. Sometimes things just don't work out.
Maybe in the end the footage just didn't feel unique enough to make something that was different from "just another concert video".
Being that it was all shot in the last week of the tour, and they didn't tour again for 3.5 years, a do-over wasn't in the cards, if that's what would have satisfied the needs.
Ultimately it's their footage, and if they don't feel it represents what they were trying to say, then that's that.
Maybe someday. Who knows.
nice! thanks for that. at the same time the live shows have gotten better visually and all that since 2002. so in a way its better they never put a live dvd of that tour back then. the thing is when/if ever will they ? ha. i thought a long time ago once they pack it in they will do stuff like that. who knows but thanks for the added info Junior. be safe!

oh ya, one last thing. during this last tour,well fall 2019 there was this big pole on stage with stuff on it. i saw a picture but i cant find it now but were they filming that night? it was def something up on a pole closer to adams side but near the middle. if i find the pic i'll post it.
junior
Green Herbsman

Post by junior »

bob wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 1:53 am oh ya, one last thing. during this last tour,well fall 2019 there was this big pole on stage with stuff on it. i saw a picture but i cant find it now but were they filming that night? it was def something up on a pole closer to adams side but near the middle. if i find the pic i'll post it.
Doesn't sound familiar, but then I'm also about 130' away from the stage during the show, so I don't always see the minutiae. Would have to see the picture.

2002 was the only time I remember them making an actual effort to shoot video of the show for a potential product.

There were a number of times in 2019-20 that they sprinkled a few Go-Pro (or similar) devices around the stage, but I think that was just so they could have a look at it. I don't know if any of them ever did look at those recordings.
Danny has occasionally set up a camera or 2 for promo stuff (like the recent Vic Firth thing), but usually not as complex as that one.

Also, nearly every show (for a long time) has had a single camera out at FOH with us for a full-stage wide shot. Its primary purpose is to generate video feedback effects that go on the main screen (parts of "Jambi" and "Invincible" are 2 examples), but some times it gets recorded for the archives and for the band to have a look. It used to get saved to a hard drive more often in the past when video files didn't take up as much space, but I don't think they all get kept anymore as the newest camera is higher-res.
bob
Toast

Post by bob »

dude, thats awesome! im sure they dont even keep some stuff cause the files are too big. haha. i get it though, cant keep everything.

oh i think i know what you mean now. when you guys do the trippy psychedelic effects of Adam playing Jambi or the Septagram thing multiplying etc etc. i recall seeing that. thats pretty cool and you use a camera in your area for that. neat! had i been on the floor in toronto this past fall i would of came by to say hi and thanked you guys for what you do but i was in the stands on adam side right beside the stage. hopefully next time once were allowed to do things again! ha :S

ok, i think you nailed it. i found the pic on my external and it sounds like what your saying. its the only pic i saw with that so i made sure to keep it and even put what show it was from. Utah apparently. check it...

thanks for the detailed message too! its neat hearing stuff like this.
Attachments
utah video camera thing or something.jpg
utah video camera thing or something.jpg (123.68 KiB) Viewed 10046 times
tys0n
Streeper

Post by tys0n »

I thought I had a lucid dream but it's real, Blair was promoting T-Shirt Hell a few months ago on the main Tool website.

That website really is stuck in the early '00s
Canned audience laughter
bob
Toast

Post by bob »

you still go to the tool site ? it sux so bad i dont even bother. i get my news here,FB and youtube for stuffs.
junior
Green Herbsman

Post by junior »

bob wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 1:36 am dude, thats awesome! im sure they dont even keep some stuff cause the files are too big. haha. i get it though, cant keep everything.

oh i think i know what you mean now. when you guys do the trippy psychedelic effects of Adam playing Jambi or the Septagram thing multiplying etc etc. i recall seeing that. thats pretty cool and you use a camera in your area for that. neat! had i been on the floor in toronto this past fall i would of came by to say hi and thanked you guys for what you do but i was in the stands on adam side right beside the stage. hopefully next time once were allowed to do things again! ha :S

ok, i think you nailed it. i found the pic on my external and it sounds like what your saying. its the only pic i saw with that so i made sure to keep it and even put what show it was from. Utah apparently. check it...

thanks for the detailed message too! its neat hearing stuff like this.
Yeah, that's the FOH camera.
The effect is pretty simple. It's just the same as the video feedback you get when you point a video camera at a TV that is displaying the image from the camera. An infinity mirror of sorts, or acid trails. Viewer's choice.
ziggy23
Stink Wizard

Post by ziggy23 »

- You like noisy music?
- Yes. The louder the better. Stops me from thinking.
- You don't like to think? What do you like?
- Never thought about it.
mattw
Geacon

Post by mattw »

^^ Reminds me of the first time I heard this regarding another song from Fear Inoculum you might enjoy:

tiresias
Has been

Post by tiresias »

It is so great of Junior to comment in these threads. Class act. I went to the last show of the 2002/Lateralus tour in Long Beach. The dudes were at the top of their game for that round. It would be great to see some of that footage from those last few shows, especially Faaip from Reno. Ah well. Hope everyone is hanging in there. Pretty terrible here in NYC, but the new album, especially the title track, have been helpful on he hard days.
“Casual Fan”
unclejackson
My pain is just an excuse

Post by unclejackson »

I thought someone in the band previously hinted that they weren't especially enthusiastic about releasing official live footage until after they decide to stop touring.
junior
Green Herbsman

Post by junior »

tiresias wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 10:00 am especially Faaip from Reno. Ah well.
I think Blair has that one hidden away in a hollowed-out decoy book on one of his book shelves.
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

junior wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 6:50 pm
I think Blair has that one hidden away in a hollowed-out decoy book on one of his book shelves.
Warded well, no doubt.

Thanks for checking in Junior. Hope your bands are taking care of you and the crew. Stay safe. Can’t wait to see you on the road again... soonish.
Ki77aan :twisted:
bob
Toast

Post by bob »

junior wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 6:50 pm

haha. oh man! thats funny, i totally forgot about that. it must be beside his book on ''lachrymology'' right ? bahah
Bobby Bottleservice
Basssssssss

This is probably not the right place to share this, but I have to share this song. This is a very old song that my friend shared with me (just recently) and I didn't know it existed. This song is a GEM. Maybe some of you have already heard it. I don't know much about the band Rainbow, but please listen to this song.) This song is GOD DAMN BEAUTIFUL!

junior
Green Herbsman

Post by junior »

Bobby Bottleservice wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 8:02 pm This is a very old song
Thanks for making me feel old, then. The song is younger than me.
Bobby Bottleservice
Basssssssss

Junior, this is a 1976 song, so I would have been 4 or 5 years old. I guess that means I am older than you. Did you have a chance to listen to this song? I hope I don't get any backlash, but the pattern of this song reminds me a little of 7empest. Maybe just because of the length of the song and the long guitar solo.