Random Tool Social Media thread

The Main Event
tys0n
Streeper

Re: Random Tool Social Media thread

Post by tys0n »

It also felt really weird watching it through someones phone and seeing those in front of that person with their phones held high.

I'd be snapping wrists if I was there.

junkies of the immediate
Canned audience laughter
Busty McCracken
Lord Festivus

Post by Busty McCracken »

The one i watched was front row so nothing but band but yeh avoid it if ya can
Listen to All Them Witches
bob
Toast

Post by bob »

Busty McCracken wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 4:11 am Good for you mate . I'm gonna keep avoiding invincible. To go into the album blind will be the best way to enjoy it for sure.
you have the will power for that ? i had said a month ago about wanting to hear it for once like the old days. i cant do it! basically impossible! haha
Busty McCracken
Lord Festivus

Post by Busty McCracken »

Yep. Actually kinda disappointed in myself for caving on one. Just been an emotional few weeks was sitting by a fire in my backyard talking about it and said fuck I'll do one of em. As I say if it's only 7 songs I don't wanna go into the album knowing a third of it.
Listen to All Them Witches
bob
Toast

Post by bob »

good for you dude! i forget what the other song sounds like so i cant tell ya ;)

all the best!
tys0n
Streeper

Post by tys0n »

I'm thinking they'll have all the new songs played live before the album is out, I wonder how much those club show tickets are going to go for now
Canned audience laughter
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

Club shows? I think this is all they will play. I don't think they will want to give away the entire album considering it's still potentially months away.

Will be interesting to see what they play at the next non-festival show.
Calfium Jay
Queric
Height: 189cm

Post by Calfium Jay »

Neither song held little hope for me tbh. Boring and meandering - it would seem they're rehashing old ideas and padding them out with little more than progressive jams that an infinite number of lesser bands these days seem to knock out with their collective eyes closed.

Obviously the studio versions will be fuller and richer, to be sure. But I'm not entirely sure I'm going to like what's about to be served up.

Particularly the vocals/lyrics which were WAY too APC-ish and overtly emotional for my liking.

I'm not convinced I'm looking forward to album full of 12 minute prog workouts. Prefer dense and immediate stuff that smashes you over the head.
'It is time for us to be doing what we have been doing every day. And that time is now'

Actual quote from Kamala Harris
rshforgothispw
Fornicraster

Post by rshforgothispw »

yeah I don’t even care if they play the whole album at the private shows now that some new tunes are confirmed for the epicenter festival. I’m excited for all the people who are going in blind but I’m glad the wondering is out of the way. The electricity that was around last night was incredible. Thanks to tool for coming through and not blueballing, they just went straight in! and thanks to you guys for the good times as it all unfolded. Reddit was a shitshow. This place seemed way more grounded. Probably cuz we are all old.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Not sure I get an APC vibe from the vocals, but they are much more laid back than your typical Tool song. Maynard isn't really pushing him self to his upper range at all, but I did enjoy some of the vocal flourishes and effects use.

No real surprises for me there - I didn't expect an album that sounded much like "old" Tool

Your assessment is pretty valid Califum, and while I somewhat agree I personally don't see it as a huge negative - the album will be different in feel to their older stuff, and for now I'm fine with that idea.
tys0n
Streeper

Post by tys0n »

hellboy wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 4:38 am Club shows?
As in their own headline shows

I was already right about this festival gig, so . . .
Canned audience laughter
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

tys0n wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 4:57 am
hellboy wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 4:38 am Club shows?
As in their own headline shows

I was already right about this festival gig, so . . .
Legacy Arena is hardly a club, so....
tys0n
Streeper

Post by tys0n »

It's an old term used by us industry types for a headline show, give me a break.

Surprise, I'm Michael Gudinski!
Canned audience laughter
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Probably my main gripe with the new material, is that they both very much follow the Jambi style of song - opening riffs, singing along in melody, vague hints at a chorus followed by lots of instrumental stuff and a breakdown.

I liked what I heard, don't get me wrong, and while Jambi is one of my favorite songs off 10k Days, I probably don't want a whole album of that "style" of song.
I want some of the storytelling we get in the likes of Wings for Marie and Rosetta Stoned
Tool_User
Optomist

Post by Tool_User »

Calfium Jay wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 4:45 am Neither song held little hope for me tbh. Boring and meandering - it would seem they're rehashing old ideas and padding them out with little more than progressive jams that an infinite number of lesser bands these days seem to knock out with their collective eyes closed.

Obviously the studio versions will be fuller and richer, to be sure. But I'm not entirely sure I'm going to like what's about to be served up.

Particularly the vocals/lyrics which were WAY too APC-ish and overtly emotional for my liking.

I'm not convinced I'm looking forward to album full of 12 minute prog workouts. Prefer dense and immediate stuff that smashes you over the head.
Must admit after the initial excitement has worn off I feel kind of the same. I like the breakdown part at the end of descending but the rest of it doesn't really do it for me, although it could just be a grower. I really like invincible it just bugs me that I can't hear it without thinking about jambi.

It's only two songs tho and live recordings at that. Very much looking forward to hearing the rest of the album just hope it's a bit more original. Just still can't get my head around the fact we are stuck with these shitty YouTube recordings when we know the album is done.
tys0n
Streeper

Post by tys0n »

Tool_User wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 5:09 am Just still can't get my head around the fact we are stuck with these shitty YouTube recordings when we know the album is done.
Really?

A lot of you feel this way, but shouldn't it be celebrated that in this day and age Tool are taking it to the road and showing their new music to the fans live first?

Or have we all become that selfish and needy?

oh
Canned audience laughter
bob
Toast

Post by bob »

my first reaction to Descending wasnt so good. hearing it again im a bit more into it. it does feel like this album is going to be a looot of music. prog comes to terms for sure. long jam outs with lyrics sprinkled in once in awhile. its def not the standard tool songs that catch you faster but it seems really musical or something.

Jambi is one of the best songs off 10k for sure. i didnt think jambi during Invicible except at the 7min 15 sec part. they could just start with Jambi right there :o its a small part though. i didnt notice the other comparisons. hmm. and oh geeze, that part continues on around 8 min. just put it back on.
Last edited by bob on Mon May 06, 2019 5:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
thekillingjoke
Fanboi

Post by thekillingjoke »

Both songs don't exactly make my blood boil like Tool did 20 years ago, but I like the relaxed and spacious vibe.
I can't point to anything I find particularly great or exiting about the songwriting, and yet I've listened to the songs on repeat for a couple of hours now, especially Invincible. If the songs are representative of the album, this might be great music to play as a background soundtrack for something else (work/workout/meditation...) and have a good time doing so, but maybe not so much to listen to intensely and expecting an emotional roller coaster.
Tool_User
Optomist

Post by Tool_User »

tys0n wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 5:18 am
Tool_User wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 5:09 am Just still can't get my head around the fact we are stuck with these shitty YouTube recordings when we know the album is done.
Really?

A lot of you feel this way, but shouldn't it be celebrated that in this day and age Tool are taking it to the road and showing their new music to the fans live first?

Or have we all become that selfish and needy?

oh
rshforgothispw
Fornicraster

Post by rshforgothispw »

I love how you guys are saying these tool songs sound like tool songs. The audacity! Jambi is by far the best track from 10k and they go and build off of that and there’s still complaints. I get it, it’s all subjective but first of all, it’s way to early to tell unless you were front and center and second, I really didn’t have a second point. This slaps. Descending, which I have heard the snippet probably ten million times went in such a sweet direction. Whoever said It belongs on lateralus is def right. But that’s not a bad thing. we are 2 songs into a 6/7 (maybe 14 if double album) release so I’m sure the deeper songs are coming, but I fucking love it so far.

WARRIOR

STRUGGLIN

TO REMAIN

CONSEQUENTIAL
Tool_User
Optomist

Post by Tool_User »

No? The majority of fans probably won't get to see them live, so because of some weird play it live first principle most fans will hear some shitty live clip first... Not sure why that's to be applauded exactly? Isn't that needy and selfish making everyone else wait?
bob
Toast

Post by bob »

7 (maybe 14 if double album) release so I’m sure the deeper songs are coming, but I fucking love it so far.
i was thinking about that tonight as well. no rumours are pointing to a double album but i hope its just been kept under wraps really well. im not feeling that sadly. it would be a super awesome surprise if it was though! fingers crossed!
Tool_User
Optomist

Post by Tool_User »

rshforgothispw wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 6:11 am I love how you guys are saying these tool songs sound like tool songs. The audacity! Jambi is by far the best track from 10k and they go and build off of that and there’s still complaints. I get it, it’s all subjective but first of all, it’s way to early to tell unless you were front and center and second, I really didn’t have a second point. This slaps. Descending, which I have heard the snippet probably ten million times went in such a sweet direction. Whoever said It belongs on lateralus is def right. But that’s not a bad thing. we are 2 songs into a 6/7 (maybe 14 if double album) release so I’m sure the deeper songs are coming, but I fucking love it so far.

WARRIOR

STRUGGLIN

TO REMAIN

CONSEQUENTIAL
Yeah I'm liking the lyrics for sure, and music most certainly is subjective, some are going to love it some aren't. After such a long wait some are bound to be dissapointed, not rocket science but Tool fans are especially prescious it seems.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Pretty sure we're not getting a double album (or CD at least anyway). We won't be getting more than 80 minutes of music. I suspect the album will be 5 or 6 tracks plus segues

I'm pretty happy with the lyrics actually. I think those complaining that it sounds like Eat The Elephant are just trolling the low hanging fruit. It's really a no brainer that at this point in his career Maynard will sing more and scream less.
rshforgothispw
Fornicraster

Post by rshforgothispw »

Yeah I don’t really think there will be a double album I’m just endlessly hopeful. I am impressed and I can’t stop listening to it.