Random Tool Social Media thread

The Main Event
aenimal
Fanboi

Re: Random Tool Social Media thread

Post by aenimal »

true. and speaking of opiate, what in the hell did the "prize" turn out to be from the golden tickets in the reissue? I'm pretty sure someone on this forum had one, I remember seeing a picture of it, and then just....nothing
Bill Hilly
Droner
Location: Leavenworth Penitentiary - Dishonorably discharged from Tool Army

Post by Bill Hilly »

I still don't get all this focus on Opiate. It does not add up and makes no sense. It was bad enough for them to release a 21st anniversary edition, but to GO BACK TO THAT EP AGAIN and this time redo an Opiate video and add a "change of pace" middle section? What am I missing here? If it's going to be packaged into a larger product that will be Salival 2, it will still be weird.

I was only kidding a couple weeks ago when I said that they were in the studio recording the new opiate breakdown. This is one time that my joke should not become reality.
Last edited by Bill Hilly on Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I'm kind of a big dill." - Schlong Burgundy
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

If it were just an Opiate video, I don't think they'd be in the studio recording stuff for it (I think it's unlikley they'd re-record Opiate for it). Here's what I reckon the curveball could be:

Some kind of audio visual Blu-Ray or DVD, not dissimilar to the Dissectional website. It'll have hi-def or remastered versions of their videos, other videos including some of the footage they use live overlaid onto some new (mostly instrumental I expect) music. The Opiate video will be part of this, and the Golden Ticket winners will somehow be involved in this production (hence why we haven't heard anything about a prize - presumably there is some kind of NDA).
Bill Hilly
Droner

Post by Bill Hilly »

The only reason I find it off-putting is that it's a little lazy. Anything Opiate related should have been originally packaged with the re-release. I'm down for what you are imagining the curveball to be. I guess it could all be pieced together with the golden tickets.
aenimal
Fanboi

Post by aenimal »

hellboy wrote:If it were just an Opiate video, I don't think they'd be in the studio recording stuff for it (I think it's unlikley they'd re-record Opiate for it). Here's what I reckon the curveball could be:

Some kind of audio visual Blu-Ray or DVD, not dissimilar to the Dissectional website. It'll have hi-def or remastered versions of their videos, other videos including some of the footage they use live overlaid onto some new (mostly instrumental I expect) music. The Opiate video will be part of this, and the Golden Ticket winners will somehow be involved in this production (hence why we haven't heard anything about a prize - presumably there is some kind of NDA).
...Adam did say during his private Q&A thing last year that they were thinking about re-recording Opiate with that new middle section....having a vid to go along with it seems like a perfect opportunity I guess..
aenimal
Fanboi

Post by aenimal »

And I don't know if any Tool fan would be capable of sticking to an NDA haha....I have to believe at least one of them would be a whistleblower :lol:
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Bill Hilly wrote:The only reason I find it off-putting is that it's a little lazy. Anything Opiate related should have been originally packaged with the re-release.
I don't disagree, my belief is that the intention was to have a video ready for Opiate as part of the re-issue (they did start recording what we thought was the video for The Pot prior to the Opiate reissue coming out) but for whatever reason it didn't make it. Once the Opiate "deadline" was passed, they decided to repurpose it for a larger release.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Also, it's amazing how quickly a small bit of PR can change the topic from "Fuck Tool and Fuck their Blankets" to relatively positive speculation in a matter of hours.
Bill Hilly
Droner

Post by Bill Hilly »

It makes sense but I always thought that they were blowing smoke about that new middle section. When I heard that new section for the first time, I thought it was out of place. It sounded awesome though. The description "Change of pace" makes sense. It doesn't fit with the song at all. At least to my ears. So I automatically assumed that they were just wanting to jam out some new stuff that they had been working on for the new record and hid it within Opiate. You listen to Ticks and Leeches and that slower middle section fits well with the song. Not so much with this one. Maybe I need to go back to it.
Last edited by Bill Hilly on Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bill Hilly
Droner

Post by Bill Hilly »

hellboy wrote:Also, it's amazing how quickly a small bit of PR can change the topic from "Fuck Tool and Fuck their Blankets" to relatively positive speculation in a matter of hours.
I hate that blanket, man.
aenimal
Fanboi

Post by aenimal »

The blanket was the curveball
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

The new section did sound cool, but it just sounded like they shoehorned some new material into Opiate rather than extending it as such.
Bill Hilly
Droner

Post by Bill Hilly »

Exactly.
BlackHole83
Stinkyfist

Post by BlackHole83 »

hellboy wrote:Also, it's amazing how quickly a small bit of PR can change the topic from "Fuck Tool and Fuck their Blankets" to relatively positive speculation in a matter of hours.
Nothing like a little communication to put our minds at ease... Keep it coming
the chill
Duck Hater

Post by the chill »

I would like a live version of schism. The fast pace middle section really killed me the times I heard it live. Really was bored with that song but that section was always fun to listen to. Is there any reason they would need to be in the studio if they were to release live tracks?
aenimal
Fanboi

Post by aenimal »

I believe it was demonstrated that Maynard's spoken-word into for the Salival version of Pushit was done in the studio....I'm pretty sure someone produced a bootleg of that same show and he didn't say that little speech before the song, so...maybe
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

the chill wrote:I would like a live version of schism. The fast pace middle section really killed me the times I heard it live. Really was bored with that song but that section was always fun to listen to. Is there any reason they would need to be in the studio if they were to release live tracks?
I wouldn't have thought so, they most likely have the equipment in the Loft to do this if they wanted.
I believe it was demonstrated that Maynard's spoken-word into for the Salival version of Pushit was done in the studio....I'm pretty sure someone produced a bootleg of that same show and he didn't say that little speech before the song, so...maybe
My understanding of that Salival version of Pushit is that it's actually several live versions of the song spliced together.
Bill Hilly
Droner

Post by Bill Hilly »

OK, so I just went back and listened to Opiate with the almost Reflection sounding breakdown. I can almost hear Maynard singing "Before I pine away". I'm no mixologist, but Opiate + awesome Reflection sounding instrumental is oil and water. How many times was that version played live? And was there a perfect version? The one I listened to sounded a little rough around the edges.
BlackHole83
Stinkyfist

Post by BlackHole83 »

As much as I love those extended versions for all songs, how much cleaner can these songs get live? There are already fine quality versions on YouTube and the tool drive. Do they really need a Salival II? I am not implying that is what the curve ball is (as it is still unclear). But if it may be so, what's the point? New videos would be awesome, there has to be something more. TOOL are aware of their recordings that are out there, would they really release shit that's already out there? I doubt it. I'm no engineer or sound guy so I really don't know how much more clearer you can get than what is already out there.
Bill Hilly
Droner

Post by Bill Hilly »

I'm no engineer either but I think soundboard quality trumps Youtube.
Pimple
Green Herbsman

Post by Pimple »

Agree 100%... After I read the news letter this arvo, I was stoked to finally get some information that wasn't shrouded in puzzles and misdirection, it was a nice change. Then as you said HB an almost instant tonal change on the forum... Cool...
Be good to each other.
BlackHole83
Stinkyfist

Random Tool Social Media thread

Post by BlackHole83 »

Bill Hilly wrote:I'm no engineer either but I think soundboard quality trumps Youtube.
Yeah no doubt.

But is it that much more better in quality that it needs to be released as a Salival II? Not that I am complaining, I would more than welcome a Salival II. I just doubt that's all it will be, which more than likely means some sort of video which makes me a happy camper.
Bill Hilly
Droner

Post by Bill Hilly »

All we can do is speculate. This whole curve ball update flew right over my head. I lost focus after I found out that Maynard will be working on songs in person at the loft. What year was it that Blair said would be an exciting year for Tool? I think he meant 2015.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

To be honest, a live record doesn't excite me that much, most due to the amount of decent stuff available on Youtube. Sure it'd be nice to have some better quality stuff, but I don't see live material as a really compelling release from Tool.

I would be more excited for some hi-def live video recordings though, but that seems unlikely, at least for this "curveball".
Bill Hilly
Droner

Post by Bill Hilly »

This is the first time I have been excited about this band in several years. I saw someone say that this site is a Tool hate site or something. That's far from the truth. Some of us were just tired of the smoke and mirrors act. I think the Tool haters just needed some legitimate good news, and we actually got some today. Directly from the Sacred Horse's mouth.