Random Tool Social Media thread

The Main Event
Tool_User
Optomist

Re: Random Tool Social Media thread

Post by Tool_User »

Mog you've been singing maynards praises a lot recently and when the new tracks came out and this place got busy you had interesting input on things. But it seems the lack of an update on the album title has gotten too much amd now you need someone to blame. I feel ya. You'll cheer up again when you get some news. Like a baby getting his bottle 😂😂😂
Tool_User
Optomist

Post by Tool_User »

hellboy wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:40 am Tool are a band for the masses. The whole argument that the vocals are interchangeable or secondary to the music is silly. I'd listen to and enjoy a instrumental Tool no doubt, but I can't think of a world where I'd prefer them without Maynard.
Tool are a band for the masses but still aren't quite mainstream are they? Quite an achievement really. As much as a lack of info pisses us off, the fact they aren't shoving the new album down our throats and bombarding us with bullshit on social media helps keep them from going fully mainstream. That and the ten minure tracks.
ziggy23
Stink Wizard

Post by ziggy23 »

rshforgothispw wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 3:01 pm
ziggy23 wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:54 am 07/02/2019 - Altice Arena, Lisbon, Portugal

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/tool/201 ... 15634.html

Oh shit Adam played that different riff in invincible!
Yep, he did it in Madrid as well:

- 3:38
- You like noisy music?
- Yes. The louder the better. Stops me from thinking.
- You don't like to think? What do you like?
- Never thought about it.
PulsedHalo
Has been

Post by PulsedHalo »

I can't believe the horseshit I've read on here the last two days. So stupid. Tool without Maynard isn't Tool. It's 3 guys jamming. End of story.
ziggy23
Stink Wizard

Post by ziggy23 »

Me: Image
- You like noisy music?
- Yes. The louder the better. Stops me from thinking.
- You don't like to think? What do you like?
- Never thought about it.
limeygringo
Green Herbsman

Post by limeygringo »

"What does OGT mean?"

"Original Gay Transgender?"

"Oh Goodness Titties"

Lol, this video is awesome
Ahhh, Infotainment!
M0G
Lungsmen

Post by M0G »

@Tyson - You haven’t been paying attention. Which doesn’t surprise me as my point has been sailing over everyones head jumping to Maynard’s defense. Never said his contribution was negative. I said his contribution is the least important to what Tool does. I said very clearly that what makes Tool truly special is the music that Adam, Justin and Danny create. I said very clearly that they could function quite easily as an instrumental band and would likely be better for it as there would be no constraints in terms of song writing as there would never be any thought given during the song writing process as to how vocals and harmonies would work or where they would work in any song framework the three of them come up with. They could take any musical idea to the absolute extreme. Again I point out how remarkable the second half of Descending is an can only wonder what an entire album like that would be like.

@Tool User - Indeed Maynard sounds better than he has in years. That isn’t the point at all. This is not a criticism of Maynard. It is a discussion about whether or not Tool would be better as an instrumental only band as well as which members play a more important role in Tool’s music. Some say all four equally. I maintain that Maynard is the least important member and that Danny is far and away the most important. That isn’t a knock on Maynard as a vocalist. That is how I view Tool’s music.
The most intelligent person on this forum
ms2r
Uncle Fucker

Post by ms2r »

hellboy wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:34 am Wait, we've lowered ourselves to comparing Tool to Nightwish now?
Don't mess with Nightwish. Great band with good vocals. :)
ms2r
Uncle Fucker

Post by ms2r »

M0G wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:55 am @Tyson - You haven’t been paying attention. Which doesn’t surprise me as my point has been sailing over everyones head jumping to Maynard’s defense. Never said his contribution was negative. I said his contribution is the least important to what Tool does. I said very clearly that what makes Tool truly special is the music that Adam, Justin and Danny create. I said very clearly that they could function quite easily as an instrumental band and would likely be better for it as there would be no constraints in terms of song writing as there would never be any thought given during the song writing process as to how vocals and harmonies would work or where they would work in any song framework the three of them come up with. They could take any musical idea to the absolute extreme. Again I point out how remarkable the second half of Descending is an can only wonder what an entire album like that would be like.

@Tool User - Indeed Maynard sounds better than he has in years. That isn’t the point at all. This is not a criticism of Maynard. It is a discussion about whether or not Tool would be better as an instrumental only band as well as which members play a more important role in Tool’s music. Some say all four equally. I maintain that Maynard is the least important member and that Danny is far and away the most important. That isn’t a knock on Maynard as a vocalist. That is how I view Tool’s music.
During the recording of the Pot Maynard and Adam got into a very heated debate which almost ended the band. At least that's what I remember from an interview a magazine had with Danny.
Tool_User
Optomist

Post by Tool_User »

M0G wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:55 am @Tyson - You haven’t been paying attention. Which doesn’t surprise me as my point has been sailing over everyones head jumping to Maynard’s defense. Never said his contribution was negative. I said his contribution is the least important to what Tool does. I said very clearly that what makes Tool truly special is the music that Adam, Justin and Danny create. I said very clearly that they could function quite easily as an instrumental band and would likely be better for it as there would be no constraints in terms of song writing as there would never be any thought given during the song writing process as to how vocals and harmonies would work or where they would work in any song framework the three of them come up with. They could take any musical idea to the absolute extreme. Again I point out how remarkable the second half of Descending is an can only wonder what an entire album like that would be like.

Fair enough. I guess its a personal preference whether or not tool would be better an an instrumental band but as to who's the most important member.. If you replaced any one of them it wouldn't sound the same so surely they are all equal in that respect.
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

Moggie, you’ll get no argument from me on Danny being the biggest focus in Tool. I never cease to be amazed at what that god among men can do with his four limbs.

However, serious questions for you, considering no MJK lyrics/vocals. In other words Tool started as and remains an instrumental trio:

1) Do they attain and maintain basically cult status for decades?

2) Total record sales as a band... Total net touring earnings... Greater or smaller?

3) Do they connect with 10’s / 100’s of thousands of fans in such a deep and meaningful way that it actually changes lives (story after story of these experiences with MJK lyrics connecting at that level)?

4) Would they be playing the venues/festivals they have enjoyed and packed for decades, or would they be lugging their own gear in vans?

I get your point, and somewhat agree in terms of my own preferences, but I honestly don’t think we have any Tool forums in which to discuss this without MJK’s contributions. Point me to an instrumental band with fans that care this much...

One thing is likely though, if they did stay together, we would likely have more albums by now! Damn, I want to hear that shit right now!!!
Ki77aan :twisted:
Busty McCracken
Lord Festivus

Post by Busty McCracken »

M0G wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:55 am You haven’t been paying attention. Which doesn’t surprise me as my point has been sailing over everyones head jumping to Maynard’s defense.
I love this quality about you Mog. If someone disagrees with you, it means they don't understand what your saying. If they provide a counter argument, it means they are defending Maynard.

@Kittaan, given its been stated many times over that Tool take an excruciatingly long time to write music , do you really think there would have been that much more music? I thought everyone kinda agreed these days that the instrumental side was the biggest hold up of this album? I guess the argument could be made though that they would be much less successful without a singer so no cash grab tours would free up more time to write.
Listen to All Them Witches
M0G
Lungsmen

Post by M0G »

Kittaan wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 12:00 pm Moggie, you’ll get no argument from me on Danny being the biggest focus in Tool. I never cease to be amazed at what that god among men can do with his four limbs.

However, serious questions for you, considering no MJK lyrics/vocals. In other words Tool started as and remains an instrumental trio:

1) Do they attain and maintain basically cult status for decades?

2) Total record sales as a band... Total net touring earnings... Greater or smaller?

3) Do they connect with 10’s / 100’s of thousands of fans in such a deep and meaningful way that it actually changes lives (story after story of these experiences with MJK lyrics connecting at that level)?

4) Would they be playing the venues/festivals they have enjoyed and packed for decades, or would they be lugging their own gear in vans?

I get your point, and somewhat agree in terms of my own preferences, but I honestly don’t think we have any Tool forums in which to discuss this without MJK’s contributions. Point me to an instrumental band with fans that care this much...

One thing is likely though, if they did stay together, we would likely have more albums by now! Damn, I want to hear that shit right now!!!
All good questions. Without Maynard they would never have achieved the popularity they have now. Their record sales and net earnings would be a fraction of what they are. The reason for this is simple....Joe Casual music fan isn’t in to instrumental bands they expect a rock band to have a front man. Moreover in Tool’s case Maynard fits the bill because his vocals and harmonies fit the music. He tends to stay in the tonic and can work with the odd time signatures and covers varied ground that the more esoteric fan seems to appreciate.

Do I think Tool would be a better band as an instrumental band? Absolutely. But I know in this I am in the minority.
M0G
Lungsmen

Post by M0G »

Busty McCracken wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 1:48 pm
M0G wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:55 am You haven’t been paying attention. Which doesn’t surprise me as my point has been sailing over everyones head jumping to Maynard’s defense.
I love this quality about you Mog. If someone disagrees with you, it means they don't understand what your saying. If they provide a counter argument, it means they are defending Maynard.

@Kittaan, given its been stated many times over that Tool take an excruciatingly long time to write music , do you really think there would have been that much more music? I thought everyone kinda agreed these days that the instrumental side was the biggest hold up of this album? I guess the argument could be made though that they would be much less successful without a singer so no cash grab tours would free up more time to write.
Wow sailed over your head as well. I will respond to a counter point if it is relevant to the actual discussion occurring. That point was made with an incorrect inference. I never inferred any performance by Maynard made any Tool song weaker. I stated that I think Tool would be better as an all instrumental band given the level of the other three.
Specter
Pencildick

Post by Specter »

ADAM JONES Thanks. That’s the thinking. This is going to sound really pretentious, but it’s more emotional. For us, writing music is very therapeutic. You get to these different states, and it’s almost like you’re entertaining yourself. You’re leading someone by the hand, but the hand you’re leading is your own. I don’t get choked up when I hear other people’s music, except in a few rare instances. The Melvins did something that I thought was absolutely fuckin’ beautiful. But if we write something I really like, I get teary eyed. I’m the kind of guy who can cry really easily. The really long song on the record that starts very classically and builds is my favorite song that we have ever done. I get really choked up whenever we play it. I was really worried where Maynard was going to go with it, but he nailed the lyrics on that one.

From Guitar World 2006
Dancing on the roof of some cartoon showroom
Takeo
Has been

Post by Takeo »

Holiday update? Let’s go??
Raffa D
of Arimathea

Post by Raffa D »

I want some meaning with the songs. What would we do without his humor as in Rosetta Stoned. And his view on disturbed relationships in Schism. His soul searching in a lot of other songs. His view on mankind in Right in Two makes the music more emotional. Without Maynard there is no understandable context.
Specter
Pencildick

Post by Specter »

From his point of course.
Dancing on the roof of some cartoon showroom
Busty McCracken
Lord Festivus

M0G wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 2:20 pm
Busty McCracken wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 1:48 pm

Wow sailed over your head as well. I will respond to a counter point if it is relevant to the actual discussion occurring. That point was made with an incorrect inference. I never inferred any performance by Maynard made any Tool song weaker. I stated that I think Tool would be better as an all instrumental band given the level of the other three.
Nor did I accuse you of that. Context or not you are saying Maynard is the least important member of the band and that you beleive they would be better as an instrumental band? Correct? Do I understand you? Stop me if I don't.

I am saying , that's your opinion and I disagree with it. I view them as equally important pieces of a cog that make up what tool is. Now we can disagree, that's completely fine. But you don't just disagree. You go on accusing this entire forum of not understanding what you are saying, stating that by taking on a different position to you, we are defending Maynard. We get you. You are understood. People just view it very differently to you, you complicated adorable piece of fucking work that you are.
Busty McCracken
Lord Festivus

Do me a favour. Regardless of your thoughts on Metallica, watch this induction speech from 2:20. Flea nails my opinion on why I believe that no one is more important than the other in Tool. Yes you are correct that without Danny, Tool isn't half the band they are, no argument there but just listen to what he says and think about it.
Takeo
Has been

Post by Takeo »

How in the world has this douche fueled debate carried for multiple pages. Y’all are suckers
liz
Lunchinator

Post by liz »

@Busty: Great clip Flea was very eloquent.

@Mog: Busty is quite correct. We all get what you are saying. Thing is, to say that a band would be better without one of its elements is to presume necessarily a negative contribution from that element. Do you get that?

@Takeo: It's called having a chat and you have been suckered right in.
"She's a very charming and delightful creature, and has only one fault that I know of. It happens, unfortunately, that that single blemish is a want of taste. She don't like me."
Bill Hilly
Droner
Location: Leavenworth Penitentiary - Dishonorably discharged from Tool Army

Post by Bill Hilly »

Noobs on here are more annoying than Mog.
"I'm kind of a big dill." - Schlong Burgundy
tys0n
Streeper

Post by tys0n »

So what do you guys think would improve Tool?

I've always thought the music needed more bassoon.

Canned audience laughter
liz
Lunchinator

Post by liz »

Bill Hilly wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 4:10 pm Noobs on here are more annoying than Mog.
Mog is amusing, very sincere and encourages others to post by his words. A forum asset by any standards.
"She's a very charming and delightful creature, and has only one fault that I know of. It happens, unfortunately, that that single blemish is a want of taste. She don't like me."