Random Tool Social Media thread

The Main Event
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Re: Random Tool Social Media thread

Post by hellboy »

the chill wrote:I just looked up some of the stuff 3 teeth have put out. Honestly very curious who in the band wanted them to open or if it was a person from Primus' choice.
Adams choice I think
Ravenpig
Peen Taster

Post by Ravenpig »

Why would anyone be surprised this 3 toothed band would suck? Other than a couple of notable exceptions recent Tool opening bands have blown and sucked.
Hey! Denty!
Ravenpig
Peen Taster

Post by Ravenpig »

hellboy wrote:
fortysixand2 wrote:From the 3 TEETH Facebook yesterday:
next round of shows will be announced after thnxgvn
So.. how many shows does a 'round' consist of? Seems to contradict what the source said a couple days ago.
Have a listen to their music and then decide for yourself how reliable a source they are....
A band's music sucking makes them an unreliable source?
Hey! Denty!
Ravenpig
Peen Taster

Post by Ravenpig »

blacksabbath wrote:
hellboy wrote:
blacksabbath wrote:Let's seriously talk about what makes someone a genius. I love tool, but they aren't geniuses. I've heard too many people refer to them as this. It's unsettling to me. Einstein was a genius. Karlheinz Stockhausen was a genius. The members of tool are not geniuses. They are incredibly talented and creative guys. I'm just sayin.
Is intellectual the only type of genius?
I don't think that there is such a thing as an intellectual genius. They are usually identified by their field, ie. Scientific, mathematical, artistic, musical... I cited two types, scientific and musical. I would say that Alex Grey is probably an Artistic genius. But all geniuses display superior intellectual and creative capacities regardless of their field. That's really what defines them as genius. Beethoven and Mozart are musical geniuses. Godel is a mathematical genius. I can say that what Tool creates together at times is far, far beyond what other bands create and mind blowing, but it's not genius. It just isn't. And it's sad that people think that it is genius. What do you consider to be genius?
Remember that speech by that dude on Billy Madison?

I mean, you know all about "genius" so I'm sure you can figure it out.
Hey! Denty!
children
Metalologist

Post by children »

blacksabbath wrote:
hellboy wrote:
blacksabbath wrote:Let's seriously talk about what makes someone a genius. I love tool, but they aren't geniuses. I've heard too many people refer to them as this. It's unsettling to me. Einstein was a genius. Karlheinz Stockhausen was a genius. The members of tool are not geniuses. They are incredibly talented and creative guys. I'm just sayin.
Is intellectual the only type of genius?
I don't think that there is such a thing as an intellectual genius. They are usually identified by their field, ie. Scientific, mathematical, artistic, musical... I cited two types, scientific and musical. I would say that Alex Grey is probably an Artistic genius. But all geniuses display superior intellectual and creative capacities regardless of their field. That's really what defines them as genius. Beethoven and Mozart are musical geniuses. Godel is a mathematical genius. I can say that what Tool creates together at times is far, far beyond what other bands create and mind blowing, but it's not genius. It just isn't. And it's sad that people think that it is genius. What do you consider to be genius?
Would you consider Jimi Hendrix a musical genius?
"That's what you get when you argue with children..." -Tyson
blacksabbath
Duck Hater

Random Tool Social Media thread

Post by blacksabbath »

I don't think that raw musical talent counts as genius, which is what Jimi Hendrix was all about. I don't know of anyone in rock music I would actually consider to be at that level. Frank Zappa probably comes closest to what I'm thinking about.
@ravenpig
I don't know what you are referring to or how wanting to have a discussion about what is considered genius makes me know everything about genius. What do you think it takes to be considered genius?
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

blacksabbath wrote:
Sorry but I can't take anyone who watches Adam Sandler movies seriously
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Also for what it's worth I don't think I've ever claimed Tool or any other band are geniuses.
Bill Hilly
Droner
Location: Leavenworth Penitentiary - Dishonorably discharged from Tool Army

Post by Bill Hilly »

If they were actual geniuses, they wouldn't have bought that insurance plan.
"I'm kind of a big dill." - Schlong Burgundy
children
Metalologist

Post by children »

blacksabbath wrote:I don't think that raw musical talent counts as genius, which is what Jimi Hendrix was all about. I don't know of anyone in rock music I would actually consider to be at that level. Frank Zappa probably comes closest to what I'm thinking about.
@ravenpig
I don't know what you are referring to or how wanting to have a discussion about what is considered genius makes me know everything about genius. What do you think it takes to be considered genius?
So you don't think that raw musical talent counts as genius but then you say Mozart and Beethoven are clearly geniuses. What is the distinction here? It seems to me you are just repeating who other people claim to be geniuses and it comes off as pretentious. How is Jimi Hendrix different from them other than the fact that he plays blues/jazz/rock and they play classical music. Is Jimi's music any less profound because he took drugs and lived the rock star lifestyle? I think Jimi was as much of a musical composer, if not better, than any one you can name.

To me, Jimi Hendrix is obviously a musical genius. He never had any formal musical training yet he could pick up a guitar and translate whatever he was feeling or mimic anything he heard seamlessly. There was no separation between him and his instrument; it was just another part of him. He was truly one with the guitar. That to me is genius.

The only members of TOOL i would consider to be geniuses are Maynard and Danny, but all that shit is subjective anyway. It is really cliche to bring up Einstein and Mozart and Beethoven whenever the word genius is brought up. A person could be considered genius in many ways; there is no true authority on whether someone is or not.

I would say the music TOOL creates is 'genius' but i look at the word as meaning something that is beyond human understanding that is being channeled through a human being at the same time. I would say that a lot of these so-called geniuses don't really have an actual understanding of how their creative process works. They just do it; it just happens. Almost like the ideas and thoughts were being given to them by somebody else, a higher consciousness if you will. I mean the frequencies a satellite picks up depends on how finely tuned it is right?
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

There is one sure test: Do they get their drinks at The Genius Bar?

Ki77aan :twisted:
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

I think the rock field is so accessible and so wide that it's difficult for somebody to do something so new and innovative that it would be considered genius.
Don't mow your lawn
blacksabbath
Duck Hater

Post by blacksabbath »

children wrote:
blacksabbath wrote:I don't think that raw musical talent counts as genius, which is what Jimi Hendrix was all about. I don't know of anyone in rock music I would actually consider to be at that level. Frank Zappa probably comes closest to what I'm thinking about.
@ravenpig
So you don't think that raw musical talent counts as genius but then you say Mozart and Beethoven are clearly geniuses. What is the distinction here? It seems to me you are just repeating who other people claim to be geniuses and it comes off as pretentious. How is Jimi Hendrix different from them other than the fact that he plays blues/jazz/rock and they play classical music. Is Jimi's music any less profound because he took drugs and lived the rock star lifestyle? I think Jimi was as much of a musical composer, if not better, than any one you can name.

To me, Jimi Hendrix is obviously a musical genius. He never had any formal musical training yet he could pick up a guitar and translate whatever he was feeling or mimic anything he heard seamlessly. There was no separation between him and his instrument; it was just another part of him. He was truly one with the guitar. That to me is genius.

The only members of TOOL i would consider to be geniuses are Maynard and Danny, but all that shit is subjective anyway. It is really cliche to bring up Einstein and Mozart and Beethoven whenever the word genius is brought up. A person could be considered genius in many ways; there is no true authority on whether someone is or not.

I would say the music TOOL creates is 'genius' but i look at the word as meaning something that is beyond human understanding that is being channeled through a human being at the same time. I would say that a lot of these so-called geniuses don't really have an actual understanding of how their creative process works. They just do it; it just happens. Almost like the ideas and thoughts were being given to them by somebody else, a higher consciousness if you will. I mean the frequencies a satellite picks up depends on how finely tuned it is right?
Just because I said I don't think Jimi is a genius doesn't mean you can't think that he is. If challenging what you believe to be genius is disturbing to you then, I'm sorry. The main difference between Jimi and the others that I mentioned is that of capacity and education. Beethoven and Mozart had raw talent, but they also had the other side of being educated. They were working with more. They created elaborate works of music that Jimi couldn't have even conceived of. What Jimi did was more like a savant than a genius. He just felt it out and it happened. And what happened was soaring blues rock most of the time. And sometimes it was really sloppy. If it wasn't for the help of a studio and all the technology there he would have never composed anything at all beyond simple songs with long solos. If you gave Hendrix an acoustic guitar to create on, you wouldn't be very impressed. But don't get the wrong idea of thinking I'm bashing on Hendrix, OK. Just because I don't consider him a genius rock god, doesn't mean I don't respect him and love his music. Danny is a virtuoso drummer, probably not genius. And Maynard is certainly not at the level of Einstein. Have some respect for the work and capacity that is someone like Einstein or Mozart, by not calling Maynard a genius. If that's not possible then...
hellboy wrote:
blacksabbath wrote:
Sorry but I can't take anyone who watches Adam Sandler movies seriously
Hellboy, I never mentioned Billy Madison or directed my post at you or anyone who responded to me. I suppose I hit a nerve or something. I love tool and rock music, but it's not as complex as physics and classical music or even jazz. My point is just that if you think tool are geniuses you should consider who you are ranking them with. The theory of relativity is more profound than Stinkfist. Hardcore Tool fans may believe that Maynard traveled back in time through Danny's black magick and whispered it in Einsteins ear, but hopefully those people get help.
Krazy_blah
Fornicraster

Post by Krazy_blah »

HAPPY TURKEY DAY EVERYONE!!!
Generic triangle avatar lives on.
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

What you said about Jimi Hendrix is also applicable to Beethoven. He didn't just sit down at the piano and just jam out a composition. He fretted over every single note in a piece and he worked it until it was perfect. Mozart on the other hand did it perfectly the first time.
Don't mow your lawn
blacksabbath
Duck Hater

Post by blacksabbath »

There are differences in methods, but to compare Foxy Lady to any symphony is to me, not possible. Machine Gun is pretty awesome and amazing, but I just don't think its of the same caliber. Maybe humanity is degrading, and this is as high as our Art can reach? I would have loved to have heard what hendrix could have done with Miles Davis. It would have been amazing to hear what he could have done collaborating with a composer and orchestra. But he would have needed to collaborate to make any of it happen. Perhaps the work could have been considered genius, but not the individuals. Miles Davis maybe? Anyway. Happy Thanksgiving. I'm going to start cooking soon and head out. See you tomorrow.
Krazy_blah
Fornicraster

Post by Krazy_blah »

Newsletter is up.

I, uhhh, don't understand the point of this one.
Generic triangle avatar lives on.
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

The album will be finished by the solstice.
Don't mow your lawn
frikinelmo
My pain is just an excuse

Post by frikinelmo »

Half of the tour has been announced. More dates early next week. Possibly a reference to a mostly southern/red state tour, (hi % red m&m reference) but that is a stretch
children
Metalologist

Post by children »

@blacksabbath

So you have to 'educated' to be a genius now? So it isn't enough to be born with superior creative ability? You have to be trained in the arts of math, science and literature?

I agree that Foxy Lady isn't comparable to a symphony. When i say he is a genius i am not referring to his pop songs which he used to gain fame in order to be able to write his true works of art. I am talking about his live performances which were basically just an open canvas for him to express himself. He didn't have any special effects to alter the tone of his guitar, but the sounds that he created were unlike anything anybody had ever heard. I don't think you realize that he lived in the 60's before any of this modern technology existed. He had to personally create every sound that came out of his guitar. He inspired people to make all of these effects pedals so that ordinary people could sound like Hendrix. Without him we wouldn't have Led Zeppelin or TOOL or any of the bands that have existed since him because he influenced EVERY single one of them, and showed them how to properly use the electric guitar.

And he was still amazing with an acoustic, what are you talking about? Sure he couldn't shred it like he could with an electric, but nobody can do that. The only way you can do that is with an electric. I get the feeling that you just don't fully appreciate blues music and just don't really understand how groundbreaking Jimi Hendrix was to the music world, and how his short time on Earth revolutionized the way we think of music and sent shock waves through the generations that is still being felt today whether you realize it or not.

Also, to say that Hendrix would have needed an orchestra to create anything close to the genius of Mozart doesn't make any sense because without an orchestra, what would Mozart have been? Some guy with a piano writing 'simple songs.' Are you trying to say the complexity of the music is what makes it genius? I think you are missing the point of what art is all about my friend...
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

Mozart wasn't educated. Miles Davis attended college for only a brief time. Adam Jones, Maynard, and Danny all attended college. Adam and Danny both are both educated in music.
Don't mow your lawn
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Sorry about the misquote. I'm on a mobile so some obviously got screwed up. The post was directed at them, not you. I guess I hit a nerve or something...
blacksabbath wrote: My point is just that if you think tool are geniuses you should consider who you are ranking them with. The theory of relativity is more profound than Stinkfist.
My point is that I don't know who you're arguing with. No one here it seems.
azbay
RIP

Post by azbay »

What's profound is the north Hollywood restaurant salsa and beer that place is soo good and prices are cheap!
Ravenpig
Peen Taster

Post by Ravenpig »

I really hope he's just talking about a cracker, it'd be the greatest newsletter ever.
Hey! Denty!
lo7us

Post by lo7us »

The BG image is a photo that I took today at the P's. It's a decorative plate.
From bearded clam cums bearded jam