Random Tool Social Media thread

The Main Event
Specter
Pencildick

Re: Random Tool Social Media thread

Post by Specter »

I hope they use the Scarpacci sequence again on the new album!
Dancing on the roof of some cartoon showroom
the chill
Duck Hater

Post by the chill »

With Stumpfest 2019 being the weekend of April 19th-21st, I think the new album most likely won’t be coming out on the 19th. So April 26th or May 3rd is what I am going to say would be most likely. I have no fucking clue, of course, but just thought I would put that out there. Stalking this site, toolband, toolnavy, and reddit for an announcement everyday. Hope we hear something soon. Stoked for new music.
xZ1mM3r
Barnacle Bill

Post by xZ1mM3r »

I wasnt a tool fan when they last released music. And to be honest, I don't follow the music distribution scene closely. How far out from release is an album usually announced? Is it generally accompanied with a single? How was 10k days announced?
Bill Hilly
Droner
Location: Leavenworth Penitentiary - Dishonorably discharged from Tool Army

Post by Bill Hilly »

If I remember correctly, there were more newsletter updates leading up to the release of 10,000 Days. I believe Blair announced the name of the album and song titles in March 2006, Vicarious single came out in April, then the album followed in May. Prior to the album's release there was a listening party that took place in Europe with members of the media. Several articles came out describing the songs on the album. They played a couple shows prior to the album release, debuting The Pot and Jambi.
"I'm kind of a big dill." - Schlong Burgundy
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

the chill wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:54 pm With Stumpfest 2019 being the weekend of April 19th-21st, I think the new album most likely won’t be coming out on the 19th. So April 26th or May 3rd is what I am going to say would be most likely. I have no fucking clue, of course, but just thought I would put that out there. Stalking this site, toolband, toolnavy, and reddit for an announcement everyday. Hope we hear something soon. Stoked for new music.
The 19th being Easter I think it's unlikely to be then anyway. I think April 26 will be the winner.
basejumper
Droner

Post by basejumper »

-

I can't wait to see what TooL have in store for April Fools day... people are salivating for any TooL info and will most likely eat up anything they put out there.
Professor of Lesbian Science
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

xZ1mM3r wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:12 pm I wasnt a tool fan when they last released music. And to be honest, I don't follow the music distribution scene closely. How far out from release is an album usually announced? Is it generally accompanied with a single? How was 10k days announced?
Blair confirmed that 10,000 Days was the title on March 3, with the track list a few days later. Can't remember when the release date was announced, but wasn't much later.

http://www.fourtheye.net/2006/03/10000-days/
http://www.fourtheye.net/2006/03/10000-days-tracklist/

It's an interesting exercise in history going back through the posts around then. There were plenty of fake things around the place, and a fair bit of skepticism on my part around the track list and artwork that was revealed.

The music industry has changed a bunch on the last 13 years, so while it's easy to draw parallels between 10k Days and the new release, but I think they could be misleading.

With that said, I imagine one day in late Feb I'll wake up, and "boom", there will be a press release on Toolband with the ablum title, tracklist, onsale date (and options) and maybe even a single (or link to Opiate video). If there's going to be a release in late April or early May, I think we'll know about it by the end of this month.
children
Metalologist

Post by children »

I think I can sense Hellboy getting excited. Maybe he knows more than he is letting on. But it is in the air now. We have all been waiting so long for this and it is actually happening. Hellboy set up this entire website and developed it through all these years just for this moment to come and it is almost here. How does it feel?
"That's what you get when you argue with children..." -Tyson
unclejackson
My pain is just an excuse

Post by unclejackson »

Would it be unusual for Tool to book only three festival dates in the Eastern US with roughly a week between the shows without adding additional dates? And then, of course, heading overseas.

Seems like it wouldn't be very efficient way to start their touring - not that efficiency is always the most important factor.
trilobite
Rhandy

Post by trilobite »

I think I need an adult :|
also, Avatar!
fortysixand2
Uncle Fucker

Post by fortysixand2 »

unclejackson wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:15 am Would it be unusual for Tool to book only three festival dates in the Eastern US with roughly a week between the shows without adding additional dates? And then, of course, heading overseas.

Seems like it wouldn't be very efficient way to start their touring - not that efficiency is always the most important factor.
Remember last year when they only played two US festivals exactly one week apart: Northern Invasion and Rock on the Range. It wouldn't be that unusual and with every passing week it looks like that's going to be the case again.
unclejackson
My pain is just an excuse

Post by unclejackson »

fortysixand2 wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:43 am
unclejackson wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:15 am Would it be unusual for Tool to book only three festival dates in the Eastern US with roughly a week between the shows without adding additional dates? And then, of course, heading overseas.

Remember last year when they only played two US festivals exactly one week apart: Northern Invasion and Rock on the Range. It wouldn't be that unusual and with every passing week it looks like that's going to be the case again.

I assumed those stand alone dates were chiefly due to the APC tour occuring at that time. Did Adam, Justin, and Danny also do the their meet and greet tour around those dates?

Seems like with no APC tour, these 2019 Eastern US festival dates would be a bit different. Though admittedly, I really didn't follow their previous touring habits well enough to have a sense of what's normal.
Busty McCracken
Lord Festivus

Post by Busty McCracken »

The festivals would be footing the bill I'd assume so could just be a decent cash grab for them and an excuse to get any cobwebs out, get some shows under their belt before ramping into a proper tour down under
Listen to All Them Witches
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

fortysixand2 wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:43 am Remember last year when they only played two US festivals exactly one week apart: Northern Invasion and Rock on the Range. It wouldn't be that unusual and with every passing week it looks like that's going to be the case again.
Personally, if the album is released at the end of April, I don't see them doing only 3 shows in May.
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

This video talks about some things Tool have done. You won't get a lot out of it if that's just what you're looking for and I'm not entirely sure how accurate it is. But I figured I'd post it anyways in case anyone was interested.

I think the flattened unison bend might also be useful for less experienced players who might not figure that out from the tabs or whatever.
Don't mow your lawn
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Korn songs are scary AF
tys0n
Streeper

Post by tys0n »

I don't think I'm going to sleep tonight
Canned audience laughter
Busty McCracken
Lord Festivus

Post by Busty McCracken »

I now fully understand the level of fear my dog has when thunderstorms are overhead. T
Listen to All Them Witches
tys0n
Streeper

Post by tys0n »

I'm never allowing another guitar or guitar player in my house ever again
Canned audience laughter
gamebounty
RIP

Post by gamebounty »

UndKeineZwEier wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:21 pm This video talks about some things Tool have done. You won't get a lot out of it if that's just what you're looking for and I'm not entirely sure how accurate it is. But I figured I'd post it anyways in case anyone was interested.

I think the flattened unison bend might also be useful for less experienced players who might not figure that out from the tabs or whatever.
Nice vid. Thanks for sharing. The 'slack strings" technique sounds like it could have been what was used to make the Prison Sex intro, which I've always been intrigued by, but Adam doesn't use a whammy bar as far as I know. Although I guess he might have used one while recording Undertow. I'll need to look into that more.

Shifting gears here for a second, I think it's interesting that Danny has mentioned wanting to surpass Led Zepplin's legacy. There are several accounts of him saying that, all within the last couple of years. Do you guys think its possible for Tool to surpass Led Zepplin? If so, what would they need to do achieve that? Could this next album get them there if it's as good as Aenima and Lateralus?
"The whole world seems to have gone full gay retard" -petemasterpete
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

gamebounty wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:14 pm Nice vid. Thanks for sharing. The 'slack strings" technique sounds like it could have been what was used to make the Prison Sex intro, which I've always been intrigued by, but Adam doesn't use a whammy bar as far as I know. Although I guess he might have used one while recording Undertow. I'll need to look into that more.

Shifting gears here for a second, I think it's interesting that Danny has mentioned wanting to surpass Led Zepplin's legacy. There are several accounts of him saying that, all within the last couple of years. Do you guys think its possible for Tool to surpass Led Zepplin? If so, what would they need to do achieve that? Could this next album get them there if it's as good as Aenima and Lateralus?
1. I'm pretty sure he did use another guitar for that song, something similar to the guitar in that video. Somebody here knows more about it.

2. No.

Led Zeppelin existed in a unique time. I think music has gotten too diverse for any band to acquire a legacy like that.
Don't mow your lawn
joeypants
Goderator

Post by joeypants »

Adam did indeed use a guitar with a whammy for that intro part to Prison Sex. He's discussed it before.
gamebounty
RIP

Post by gamebounty »

Ah, neat. More reason to install a whammy bar on my guitar.

@Und: I agree for the most part. It's hard to be as influential with a genre that's already been around the block. But I do think that the possibility is still there. Radiohead seem pretty close to having a legacy as big Zepp's.
"The whole world seems to have gone full gay retard" -petemasterpete
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

gamebounty wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:43 pm Ah, neat. More reason to install a whammy bar on my guitar.

@Und: I agree for the most part. It's hard to be as influential with a genre that's already been around the block. But I do think that the possibility is still there. Radiohead seem pretty close to having a legacy as big Zepp's.
I'm actually installing one fairly soon myself.

I think the band that comes closest is maybe Nirvana and I don't think they're really at that level either. I think Led Zeppelin came up at a time where there was a lot more room to explore and when there was less alternative routes for the music so a lot of people were listening to the same music which isn't really the case anymore.

But that said I think this is one of those things that's easier to talk about with dead bands than living ones.
Don't mow your lawn
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Wasn't Danny just referring to having more albums than Led Zeppelin? I don't think he (or anyone) would expect them to have a larger legacy in regards to their influence on music.