Random Tool Social Media thread

The Main Event
mattw
Geacon

Re: Random Tool Social Media thread

Post by mattw »

Sometimes you just get lucky as a fan, or just lucky in life overall. For example, I've seen METALLICA many times over the years and while they've always played well or chosen a great setlist, some of the venues weren't exactly conducive towards them having a great 'mix' or I've had a seat up the back somewhere. Sometimes as a fan you go "Oh well, that could have been better if ___ " etc.

That all became totally irrelevant to me on this special night back in November, 2010:

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/metallic ... 551a7.html

Someone has posted a clip of the full show on YouTube if you're keen to check it out (assuming it's still up). I'll just sum up the evening with this statistic:

Master of Puppets features 8 songs; we got 6 of them that night.

This is my favourite Metallica live show of all time! It was amazing even before they got to their final 5 songs (and 3 staples on that tour). I think I had already declared it one of my favourite shows after only the first 9 tracks. The band were just 'on' and clearly enjoyed playing all their deep cuts. Leper Messiah sealed the deal for me early on.
tys0n
Streeper

Post by tys0n »

Not much of a Metallica fanboy but they seriously play I, Disappear in their set lists?

Holy :lol:

Talk about a deep cut!
Canned audience laughter
nxrm
Dan's Alias

Post by nxrm »

Bobby Bottleservice wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 6:00 pm
nxrm wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 1:22 pm Really hoping I finally get to hear Descending live. It wasn't played at the three shows I went to after Fear Inoculum was released.

Would be great to hear 7empest as well, but I'd be surprised if it's back on the setlist at this point.
Stay positive my friend. If you check the first 2 shows they did in March of 2020 (in the states) before everything got shut down, these 2 songs were played. I think they were going to start playing these songs on the rest of the tour. Now I think they are really ready to add these to the nightly setlist.

Here is a link to what I am referring to. https://www.setlist.fm/setlists/tool-2bd6d836.html
Yeah man, thanks! Honestly just going to be so happy to have the experience of live music again. Hearing Descending and/or 7empest would just make the night even better.

Ten days to go for my show.

Not sure if I'm going to check in on the first few shows of the tour or go in without knowing what's on the setlist.

Soon enough. \m/
So Long, and Thanks for All the Tool.
Busty McCracken
Lord Festivus

Post by Busty McCracken »

mattw wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 12:27 am Sometimes you just get lucky as a fan, or just lucky in life overall. For example, I've seen METALLICA many times over the years and while they've always played well or chosen a great setlist, some of the venues weren't exactly conducive towards them having a great 'mix' or I've had a seat up the back somewhere. Sometimes as a fan you go "Oh well, that could have been better if ___ " etc.

That all became totally irrelevant to me on this special night back in November, 2010:

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/metallic ... 551a7.html

Someone has posted a clip of the full show on YouTube if you're keen to check it out (assuming it's still up). I'll just sum up the evening with this statistic:

Master of Puppets features 8 songs; we got 6 of them that night.

This is my favourite Metallica live show of all time! It was amazing even before they got to their final 5 songs (and 3 staples on that tour). I think I had already declared it one of my favourite shows after only the first 9 tracks. The band were just 'on' and clearly enjoyed playing all their deep cuts. Leper Messiah sealed the deal for me early on.
Was as that show as well, setlist was amazing but thought they were 'on' better the night before. They fucked up leper messiah and disposable heroes off memory. Plus night two had Orion which was killer. They spoiled the shit out of aus that tour with their setlists hey.
Listen to All Them Witches
mattw
Geacon

Post by mattw »

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/metallic ... 55525.html

Fair call Busty. I'm just not a huge fan of Cyanide, No Remorse and Whiplash so getting 4 straight Puppets tracks early on during the Saturday night show made me enjoy the Saturday night show more than the Thursday show. Each to their own I guess.

I don't mind too much if a band messes up a song once or at most makes two major mistakes; for me, it's more about the atmosphere of the entire show and how the whole crowd just gets into it. I think the Puppets show on the Saturday night, at least for me, had so many people around me just going nuts with all the songs they played.

Another barometer you sometimes see at a live show for how good a show might be is how many or how few people decide to leave their seats to go get another drink from the bar. Some gigs a band will pull out a slower number or a less popular song and Aussies will go "Nah fuck this; I'm getting another beer!" and walk out. When that does NOT happen at all or hardly at all during a gig you just know the audience is mesmorised by what they're witnessing... and then there's a mad rush for the bathrooms and bar once the main set finishes! :)
Bobby Bottleservice
Basssssssss

Post by Bobby Bottleservice »

nxrm wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 9:57 am
nxrm wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 1:22 pm Really hoping I finally get to hear Descending live. It wasn't played at the three shows I went to after Fear Inoculum was released.

Would be great to hear 7empest as well, but I'd be surprised if it's back on the setlist at this point.
Stay positive my friend. If you check the first 2 shows they did in March of 2020 (in the states) before everything got shut down, these 2 songs were played. I think they were going to start playing these songs on the rest of the tour. Now I think they are really ready to add these to the nightly setlist.

Here is a link to what I am referring to. https://www.setlist.fm/setlists/tool-2bd6d836.html
Yeah man, thanks! Honestly just going to be so happy to have the experience of live music again. Hearing Descending and/or 7empest would just make the night even better.

Not sure if I'm going to check in on the first few shows of the tour or go in without knowing what's on the setlist.

Soon enough. \m/
What show are you going to? I am going to the Phoenix show and the Las Vegas show.
jackob2545
My pain is just an excuse

Post by jackob2545 »

nxrm wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 9:57 am

Soon enough. \m/
Jumped back into the forum as the tour drew closer and it’s been fun seeing everyone’s excitement grow talking setlists and what not. Happy I'm seeing the opening show here in Eugene on Monday. No idea what the setlist will be going in which is new from prior show experiences (have a solid idea though after seeing the last show in Portland). nxrm, this reminds of when the album was about to drop and and tons of feedback was coming out and we were holding strong for the first initial listen even after Fear Inoculum dropped as a single. Good times!

Hope you all enjoy your shows and regardless of setlist, mix etc… Tool is back and we get to experience the boys live once again doing there thing. I’m excited to say the least!

Now to figure out how to convince the wife to let me go for that autographed poster 🤔
mattw
Geacon

Post by mattw »

Tell your wife the signed poster is an 'INVESTMENT' as the band's popularity will continue to grow over the next 10+ years, especially if they release just one more album (final?) in like 2027 or something. You can always sell the poster for a ridiculous amount in 2029 to some diehard new fan who has only just discovered that the band exist. Think of all the"OMG!! I must have that!!"people all over the world... myself included sometimes. 😬

I actually think I am going to totally avoid setlists for the first few shows next week before I finally get to see them again... I don't think I've ever been to a show this 'early' across any of their tours over the last 20 years or so. However, I'm sure after certain songs my brain will "Oh I know what's coming next!" etc. 😀👍
tys0n
Streeper

Post by tys0n »

It's always easier to seek forgiveness than to ask permission.

I mean my lawyers disagree but that's up to the jury to decide.
Canned audience laughter
jackob2545

Post by jackob2545 »

Haha the wife is awesome and a Tool fan herself. She’s given the go ahead for the autographed if it’s attainable. There was some heavy eye roll when mentioning price but she ultimately gets it lol. Let’s just say it won’t be hanging in the living room 🤣, but that’s what the jam rooms for any way.
mattw
Geacon

Post by mattw »

Tyson and I are claiming full credit here for such encouragement and convincing. You're welcome!

Disclaimer: we also get 10% each when it comes to any profits on your future poster sales. I can PM you my bank details. Thanks. 👍
azbay
RIP

Post by azbay »

Been a while since posting and being here, but they're touring again and freaking stoked like the rest of you!!! Be hitting up Anaheim, AZ. And Vegas!!
Whowatchesthewampas
Green Herbsman
Height: 6

Post by Whowatchesthewampas »

getting excited!
Falling isn't flying
Floating isn't infinite
cahernandez

Post by cahernandez »

X2 about getting excited for this tour! I have a ticket for the show in SF on Sunday. My gf tested positive for Covid19 two Sundays ago (8 days ago, she flew back home then, when I last saw her). I felt mild chills that day and the day after, and a really mild sore throat for the next three days (been fine -no symptoms- for a couple of days now, the vaccine worked! I felt a lot worse with the vaccine side effects). I'm going for a PCR test tomorrow, and results should be ready by Friday, fingers crossed that I test negative. I asked Justin on IG if he could make that playlist public, otherwise I'm going to go by the screenshot of the Insta story (that Aphex Twin EP is really nice). Been listening to Misery is a Butterfly, inspired by MJK's post, it's really good! Will go in blind, no setlist spoilers for me.
Last edited by cahernandez on Mon Jan 10, 2022 8:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
mattw
Geacon

Post by mattw »

Whowatchesthewampas wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 7:24 am getting excited!
nxrm
Dan's Alias

Post by nxrm »

Bobby Bottleservice wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 8:14 pm What show are you going to? I am going to the Phoenix show and the Las Vegas show.
Anaheim for me. I was originally hoping to get to both the Sacramento and San Francisco shows as well, but ended up sticking with the one local show.

And, you've got back to back shows but in two different cities. Should be fun.
jackob2545 wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 11:09 pm Jumped back into the forum as the tour drew closer and it’s been fun seeing everyone’s excitement grow talking setlists and what not. Happy I'm seeing the opening show here in Eugene on Monday. No idea what the setlist will be going in which is new from prior show experiences (have a solid idea though after seeing the last show in Portland). nxrm, this reminds of when the album was about to drop and and tons of feedback was coming out and we were holding strong for the first initial listen even after Fear Inoculum dropped as a single. Good times!

Hope you all enjoy your shows and regardless of setlist, mix etc… Tool is back and we get to experience the boys live once again doing there thing. I’m excited to say the least!

Now to figure out how to convince the wife to let me go for that autographed poster 🤔
Enjoy the show tonight, and looking forward to hearing all about it. \m/
Whowatchesthewampas
Green Herbsman
Height: 6

Post by Whowatchesthewampas »

mattw wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 8:12 am
Whowatchesthewampas wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 7:24 am getting excited!
you get me, dude. you get me
Falling isn't flying
Floating isn't infinite
Busty McCracken
Lord Festivus

Been a long 22 months or so without Tool shows, enjoy the shit out of yourselves everybody.
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

Yeah Norm, I wish we could have pulled off another pre show hang together, but very stoked for Sunday in SF. I’m digging what they’ve been soundchecking, but won’t mention any spoilers on this thread.

The drummer from my old band is seeing both Oregon shows tonight and tomorrow and he’s just about vibrating with anticipation 😂

Everybody mask up, I ain’t tryna be O’Microned…
Ki77aan :twisted:
Busty McCracken
Lord Festivus

mattw wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 2:12 pm https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/metallic ... 55525.html

I don't mind too much if a band messes up a song once or at most makes two major mistakes; for me, it's more about the atmosphere of the entire show and how the whole crowd just gets into it. I think the Puppets show on the Saturday night, at least for me, had so many people around me just going nuts with all the songs they played.
100% mate. I think one persons bad show is another persons best show of their life. We did the three shows in 4 nights in Sydney, and from the moment we woke up on the morning of day 2 til the end of the night, we had a hell of a day where everything just kinda worked for us. Where as by the 3rd show we were pretty wounded from a solid week of partying. Plus I'd been frothing to hear leper messiah & disposable for a very very long time so to get them both was an amazing high, only to see them stuff both up, just put a bit of a downer on it for me. Had it of happened on night two, I probably would've just laughed it off and enjoyed it for what it was.
Merkaba
Fanboi

Post by Merkaba »

Super keen for the lads to be kicking off the tour again, I'll be refreshing the forum for setlist updates. Assuming it'll be identical to the 2019 leg...

Kittaan - I'd be keen to hear what they've been soundchecking, PM me to avoid spoilers ;)
Kittaan wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 12:37 pm Yeah Norm, I wish we could have pulled off another pre show hang together, but very stoked for Sunday in SF. I’m digging what they’ve been soundchecking, but won’t mention any spoilers on this thread.
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

@Merkaba - just look at the tour thread or check Reddit. Looks good.
Ki77aan :twisted:
Spoonman
Geacon

Post by Spoonman »

jackob2545

Post by jackob2545 »

🤯🤯🤯

That’s all I got for you guys. Wow. Everything about this show for me put it at the top of the 7 times I’ve seen them. If your seeing them this go around you won’t be disappointed. Dare I say they have been listening to the fans…

My suggestions is don’t read spoilers!
nxrm
Dan's Alias

Post by nxrm »

jackob2545 wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 12:13 am 🤯🤯🤯

That’s all I got for you guys. Wow. Everything about this show for me put it at the top of the 7 times I’ve seen them. If your seeing them this go around you won’t be disappointed. Dare I say they have been listening to the fans…

My suggestions is don’t read spoilers!
Glad to hear you got an epic show. Hopefully there aren't too many changes down the road for the rest of the tour.