Best Tool live clips

The Main Event
Ettan
Dopocalyptic
Height: 190cm

Re: Best Tool live clips

Post by Ettan »

joeypants wrote:If I'm not mistaken, 2010 The Pot was tuned down to D flat, and 2012 (or was it 2014?) was all the way down to C.
The 2012 version sound so weird and bad. It's like they're playing in different tunings.
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

Despite claims of being HQ that audio is compressed as fuck and has no low end.

Maybe they meant Headquarters.
Don't mow your lawn
Ettan
Dopocalyptic

Post by Ettan »

Nontheless, the performance is garbage.
xZ1mM3r
Barnacle Bill

Post by xZ1mM3r »

Ettan wrote:The Rapid city show would be better if the feed wasn't from Justin. Bass is way too loud in the mix imo, otherwise it's excellent. I like it because it's unique, but I prefer regular audience recordings.
ToolArchive just uploaded a new version of the Rapid City show..... What are the odds..

Unless Ettan is ToolArchive
Ettan
Dopocalyptic

Post by Ettan »

I say we've got a lurker.
Busty McCracken
Lord Festivus

Post by Busty McCracken »

xZ1mM3r wrote:
Ettan wrote:The Rapid city show would be better if the feed wasn't from Justin. Bass is way too loud in the mix imo, otherwise it's excellent. I like it because it's unique, but I prefer regular audience recordings.
ToolArchive just uploaded a new version of the Rapid City show..... What are the odds..

Unless Ettan is ToolArchive
Jesus christ, this sounds fucking amazing!

Cheers
Listen to All Them Witches
N.Y.H.C.
Serial Thrilla

Post by N.Y.H.C. »

Ettan wrote:Nontheless, the performance is garbage.
I always wondered why I've seen them 5 times since that album dropped and they never play "The Pot", now I know why. it just doesn't translate, you would think it would, right? a straight rock-n-roll song too. seemingly a crowd pleaserish jam. YEESH!!
Asteroids do not concern me, Admiral. I want that ship, not excuses.
Busty McCracken
Lord Festivus

Saw it played in 07 at Sydney Big Day Out.. Was pretty terrible but then again so was the majority of that performance.
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

Busty McCracken wrote:Saw it played in 07 at Sydney Big Day Out.. Was pretty terrible but then again so was the majority of that performance.
Yeah, that was certainly the worst show I've seen from Tool
Busty McCracken
Lord Festivus

Second worst for me. Brisbane Gold Coast 2011 takes that dubious honour for me. They looked legitimately lost throughout so many songs & every song was played at a turtle pace.. Thankfully they redeemed themselves the following night with a sterling side show.
mattw
Geacon

Post by mattw »

^ That Brisbane sideshow was awesome! And the 2007 Sydney BDO show was bad. So was first Melbourne show April 2013.

But yeah, the Brisbane show still brings back great memories: You Lied, Right In Two, Third Eye... it was nuts!
joeypants
Goderator

Post by joeypants »

The Pot can absolutely deliver live, in my opinion. I've seen it a handful of times and it was stunning. But I wasn't at the shows in question and a lot of people don't like the downtuned version. Admittedly, the best times I saw it were right after 10K Days came out back in '06.
Busty McCracken
Lord Festivus

Yeah I remember hearing Melbs was pretty bad in 2013. Forgot they played Right in 2 in Brisbane that night, was a great show.
mattw
Geacon

Post by mattw »

^The first Melbourne 2013 show wasn't great (slightly out of sync at times, Maynard struggled with his voice etc.) and then they postponed the Adelaide show by a day due to his voice. But I then saw them for the second time at the first Sydney 2013 show and it was incredibly good (top 3: Brisbane 2011, Sydney 2013 & Sacramento 2010) only to go again the next night in Sydney & it was a bit flat.

Feels like pro sports & athletes; some games or performances are amazing while others can be okay. Who knows why?
I think this applies for just about every band I've seen multiple times...
Busty McCracken
Lord Festivus

Funnily enough I thought, night 2 of Sydney in 2013 trumped night 1.

I thought 3rd eye was really flat on night 1 , where as hearing them open with HWAP the following night set up the whole gig for me.
mattw
Geacon

Post by mattw »

Hmmm interesting. I was back in the stands for Sydney night 1 2013 and thought Third Eye was great from where I was. Stinkfist too.

But I was front row the next night on the floor in front of Justin and even up close it didn't feel the same as night 1.

San Francisco 2010 was great but they topped it the next night in Sacramento with exactly the same setlist but with about a 19-minute version of Lateralus. Maybe it's a combo of not just the band but the crowd too. I have noticed a much better vibe at shows in cities where a band hasn't played for ages since all the fans are fired up... Maybe some bands just go through the motions sometimes in regular cities...?
Busty McCracken
Lord Festivus

Funnily enough our roles were reversed in Sydney. I was on the floor night 1 & got seats the 2nd night. That was the first time I'd ever seen Tool from a seating position and dug the living shit out of i

I'd say it comes down to a combination of things. From a performer point of view, the kind of night they're having on a personal level, how they're gauging the crowd reaction would reflect in the energy they're emitting. And from a punter point of view, the crowd around you, where your own heads at etc.
mattw
Geacon

Post by mattw »

Yeah, agreed.
Watching from the front rows in a good spot in the stands is better for taking in the whole show in my opinion. Floor is great to be a part of an energetic crowd but I think I'll watch shows from afar in future. Did that recently at a few gigs and loved every one of them.
Where your own head is at does make a difference though. Like seeing a great movie when you're in a bad mood; it alters your perception.
I do think the new cities or returning to a city thing plays a role in a lot of scenarios; crowd is pumped, band isn't sure what to expect, band feels kinda obligated to put on something special. First impressions really do count.
But then there are other components which really lift a gig like playing a rare song from the back catalogue or one that hasn't been played in ages e.g. H., Eulogy, Reflection, Crawl Away, Part of Me etc. Just something that makes all the diehard fans lose their shit.
Saw Metallica play 6 of the 8 tracks from Master of Puppets one night & that didn't include Battery. Still nuts though.
Calfium Jay
Queric
Height: 189cm

Post by Calfium Jay »

Melbourne. February 2011. Myer Music Bowl

According to Danny Carey..one of the greatest Tool performances in memory.

It brought tears to my eyes. And I don't tear up easily.....
'It is time for us to be doing what we have been doing every day. And that time is now'

Actual quote from Kamala Harris
mattw
Geacon

Post by mattw »

Yeah this was exactly the same setlist as the week before at the Brisbane sideshow:

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/tool/2011 ... 2c714.html

I remember reading somewhere that Danny's partner (Rynne?), who takes photos for them, said either this show or the Brisbane show (same setlist etc.) was considered by the band members to be one of their "Top 5" all-time shows. That was cool to read about.
Busty McCracken
Lord Festivus

Yeah I remember reading that quote about top 5 performances as well. Was in relation to the Brissie show, sounds like Melbourne was great too though. Intension owned the night for me, they nailed it.

Was at that Metallica show as well. They butchered Disposable Heroes which I was spewing about but other than that, was a cracking show.
mattw
Geacon

Post by mattw »

Yeah the quote was about the Brisbane show but I knew someone who was at both shows (Melbourne sideshow) and said setlist was the same & performance was tight etc. For me, Third Eye as an opening song is their best option, Right In Two was good but You Lied totally surprised me & Justin did some vocals. I just hope they do something out of left field in January in California...

Metallica? Saturday show, November 2010, Acer Arena/Allphones? Yeah loved it. Leper Messiah & The Thing That Should Not Be. Really surprised me. All good.
Ettan
Dopocalyptic

Post by Ettan »

Maynards face here is fucking terrifying

Busty McCracken
Lord Festivus

mattw wrote:Yeah the quote was about the Brisbane show but I knew someone who was at both shows (Melbourne sideshow) and said setlist was the same & performance was tight etc. For me, Third Eye as an opening song is their best option, Right In Two was good but You Lied totally surprised me & Justin did some vocals. I just hope they do something out of left field in January in California...

Metallica? Saturday show, November 2010, Acer Arena/Allphones? Yeah loved it. Leper Messiah & The Thing That Should Not Be. Really surprised me. All good.
Yep, thats the one. Was at all 3 sydney shows with the boys (flew down from cairns), was a hell of a weekend! Night 3 had the best set, but night 2 wins for me purely coz they played Orion. Is my fav song by anyone & the reason I picked up a bass. :D

I don't share the love for 3rd eye as an opener like most people on here seem too. It's solid, but saw em open with Flood in 2002 into the grudge and that'd be my favourite opening I've seen them do.

@Ettan, I miss that Maynard & his funny little bobble.
mattw
Geacon

Post by mattw »

^Flood into The Grudge at the Brisbane Ent Centre, April 2002...??

I was there. Also had Stinkfist, Parabola, H., Disposition/Reflection/Triad etc.
First time I saw TOOL. Loved it obviously. Maynard hit the "I don't mind, I don't mind" part of H. with everything; made the day for me.

My brother was pissed off they didn't play 46 & 2, only to play it the next night in Newcastle. Oh well.

I just hope H. or Eulogy work their way back into upcoming setlists... but No Quarter would also be nice