Tool to release new album digitally?

The Main Event
Ravenpig
Peen Taster

Post by Ravenpig »

(tOOLNZ posted this article in the May 8th gig thread)

http://www.3news.co.nz/Tool-review/tabi ... fault.aspx

Standard review column that also includes the first journalist allowed into the V.I.P. experience.

The real piece of news is at the end, "The new album will probably be released digitally". 

Interesting.  Good?  Bad?

Hey! Denty!
rimb
My pain is just an excuse

Post by rimb »

Interesting to hear, but I'd be shocked if it wasn't released digitally given what Maynard's been doing with Puscifer in terms of releasing stuff.
not tyson
Grammy Winner
Height: 186cm

Post by not tyson »

Indifferent.

They'll still release a physical copy with art work.

But this is more important -

"He explains that’s why the live DVD they recorded never saw the light of day. They weren’t happy with it – so assumed the fans wouldn’t be, either."

Ah bullshit, just give us the damn thing
Ravenpig
Peen Taster

Post by Ravenpig »

It seems to me that if this is true May Jay probably convinced Lazy Bones Jones to do so.

Probably a compromise where it can only be bought as a whole and not individual tracks.
Hey! Denty!
Ravenpig
Peen Taster

Post by Ravenpig »

Strangely enough I'm indifferently to a live dvd. Yea I'd buy it but I wouldn't care if one wasn't released.
Hey! Denty!
spiral2spiral
Bronco's Fan

Post by spiral2spiral »

Surely they could release the audio at least? I can understand being unhappy with the visuals, but surely the audio would be pro-soundboard? 

cesaro
Bronco's Fan

Post by cesaro »

I'd be more than happy to have any live soundboard audio released by Tool. That Kalamazoo soundboard audio still gives me chills everytime I hear it. I find it better than album quality.

I have always thought that any live DVD or live Audio boxset would be released after Tool 'retires' as a gift to the fans. They can show it to the coming generation and say " See this band, I have seen them live...this DVD can't match actually being there in person."

hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

I'm all for them releasing it digitally.  I expect they will package it in a similar way to how Radiohead and NIN (and numerous others) have and give you several packages where you can order digital only, CD, vinyl and possible other versions. 

I don't expect you'll be able to get it via iTunes nor would you be able to buy individual tracks.  And I expect that'd suit most Tool fans anyway.
Ravenpig
Peen Taster

Post by Ravenpig »

Ohhh don't say "gift to the fans" around these parts!
Hey! Denty!
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Ravenpig said
Ohhh don't say "gift to the fans" around these parts!

I'm still surprised that anyone was silly enough to take that statement at face value.
Ravenpig
Peen Taster

Post by Ravenpig »

Yea agreed.

Speaking of Tool vinyl (your previous post) I'd say a good time to get legit excited for a new album is whenever a 10K Days one is announced, if going by Lateralus' vinyl release is any indication.
Hey! Denty!
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

I find it interesting that Adam thinks the album could be out this year.
Don't mow your lawn
Ravenpig
Peen Taster

Post by Ravenpig »

It is strange that he'd say that to a journalist knowing the shit storm it can cause among Toolios.
Hey! Denty!
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Ravenpig said
It is strange that he'd say that to a journalist knowing the shit storm it can cause among Toolios.

I don't think Tool are really as secretive as some of you think and if they were to keep something secret, I expect they'd hide it from both journalists and non-journalists alike. And besides, saying they will probably release the next album digitally is not really a huge revelation.
Ravenpig
Peen Taster

Post by Ravenpig »

hellboy1975 said

Ravenpig said

I don't think Tool are really as secretive as some of you think and if they were to keep something secret, I expect they'd hide it from both journalists and non-journalists alike. And besides, saying they will probably release the next album digitally is not really a huge revelation.

What does what Und and I wrote have to do with being secretive?

And it's not a huge revelation?  "Huge" is definitely an overstatement (never said it was, you did) but this is a new turn of events for them, being one of the few major bands left that hasn't taken the digital plunge (if this does actually happen, that is). 

It's just news, especially for them.

Hey! Denty!
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee
Height: Not A Fucking Manlet

Post by The Boss »

UndKeineEier said
I find it interesting that Adam thinks the album could be out this year.

I COULD bone Rihanna this year, too.

He was probably playing that game.

O love will you read the letters I will send to you.
auroboros
Maynard Believer

Post by auroboros »

Great! IF it's available in 96kHz 24bit or even higher ... Tool, why not be the first and resurrect the format resolution. Apple can stick their golden ratio black magic b.s. inferior itunes standards up their a.h.. Give me the option! I remember Danny discussed releasing in studio quality a while back. Music needs to be like cameras... 1 megapixel to tenfold megapixel etc. Neil Young is so outraged about the issue of audio resolution compared to everything else he wrote a song about it, lol.  
not tyson
Grammy Winner
Height: 186cm

Post by not tyson »

I just hope there is a lot of audio clipping on the new album, it really gives the music a great vibe!
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

auroboros said
Great! IF it's available in 96kHz 24bit or even higher ... Tool, why not be the first and resurrect the format resolution. Apple can stick their golden ratio black magic b.s. inferior itunes standards up their a.h.. Give me the option! I remember Danny discussed releasing in studio quality a while back. Music needs to be like cameras... 1 megapixel to tenfold megapixel etc. Neil Young is so outraged about the issue of audio resolution compared to everything else he wrote a song about it, lol.  

Hey!  Haven't seen you around here in a long while.  Did you hit any of the recent shows?  Tape any?
Ki77aan :twisted:
auroboros
Maynard Believer

Post by auroboros »

Hey! still alive and well. Happened to tape second Sydney show... Enjoy, was a great show! Sober was really unique. 5 songs from Ænima wasn't all that bad too
http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-deta ... ?id=449146
badkittygothgirl
Stinkyfist

Post by badkittygothgirl »

Tyson said
Indifferent.

"He explains that’s why the live DVD they recorded never saw the light of day. They weren’t happy with it – so assumed the fans wouldn’t be, either."

For once, I agree with you.
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee
Height: Not A Fucking Manlet

Post by The Boss »

badkittygothgirl said

Tyson said
Indifferent.

For once, I agree with you.

Yeah. They've got to a RADIOHEAD point: They could fart into a cup and record it for fifty minutes, release it with questionable artwork, and we'll all still buy it and say it's fucking awesome.

They've worked hard to get this point, so I think they should learn to relax a little. I've always been into the Live DVD idea, but I've never had high hopes for it. I mean, what can you do with a live DVD, really? Just make sure the quality is as good as you can get it, in all departments, and release it.

It's worked for literally every band that I've ever bought a live DVD from before. Maybe I'm just easily satisfied, though.
O love will you read the letters I will send to you.
bob
Toast

Post by bob »

i have thought the same as others here that they would release a DVD when they were more/less finished. im not sure on that anymore cause it seems like they are already done! haha. :s  i do get why they havent released a video. i dont know about u guys but most live dvds kinda suck. how often do you watch them? i barely ever do. some i see once and its kinda enough. too many camera angles edited in every 3 seconds ruin it for sure. if they could stick to what its like watching from the crowd and not so many edits every few seconds i think it would be smooth and enjoyable to watch.

one thing though, as time goes on year after year,the hype and all that will not be measured up to. tool got lucky sorta with how people anticipate the way they do things, but after 10/11 years wondering about a live dvd i dont think it can be anything that ground breaking and new after a decade and counting! im ok with that though! just release something and make it smooth!

Ravenpig
Peen Taster

Post by Ravenpig »

toolphishdhs said
The live DVD is the biggest thing ive waited for from them. i know one will eventually come out but i think it will be after they are done making and touring new music.  Why start selling your nest egg early?   i did think it was funny that he apparently mentioned it being a label/money issue.   Honestly if they released a live dvd from 98 and one from 01, they could take another decade to record the new album and i wouldnt care.  It is the huge missing piece from their catalog (well that and a 5th album) and it is sad if the only reason it doesnt come out is because the band members profit margin isnt high enough on it. greedy bullshit right there.

Maybe so, but I'd prefer the majority of money I spent on them go to them and not record company executives that had jack and shit to do with it.

Hey! Denty!