Re: My Tool Top 10

Post by not tyson »

bi curious?
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

Not Tyson wrote:bi curious?
You should know that I passed on typing that. Yes, you and I are thinking the same way... and you took my discard.

Chew on that, Chumley.
Ki77aan :twisted:
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

Will be posted today!
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Finally!
I’ve been a little busy of late, so my Tool Top 10 has been on the backburner, however now that things are settling down, it’s time to work towards the top 3! I don’t think my top 3 will come as a surprise to many of you, though perhaps the order may. Anyway, number three is fittingly Third Eye.

There were plenty of eye opening moments for me on Aenima. As a rock and metal fan who’s musical experience didn’t range much past Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Faith No More and Guns n’ Roses, Third Eye was a song that revealed a world of progressive music that previously I hadn’t heard. It’s a long winding track that shows a range of musical dynamics, and one that after first listen left me thinking “what the fuck is this?”. Aenima was for me an album that took a while to grow on me, and once I’d embraced this song, I had embraced the album, and at the same time understood what Tool were about.

Musically it’s a strong one – Danny and Adam both stretch their legs in the final stanza of the song, and Maynard’s vocals are some of his finest. It’s a great live track as well, you need only listen to Salival to hear Tool play it at their peak.
Calfium Jay
Queric
Height: 189cm

Post by Calfium Jay »

Third Eye is a great song that unfortunately suffers a few too many hiccups along the way. Could easily have been scaled down by about 3 minutes and would have been all the better for it. A times - throughout it's all too many twistrs and turns - it resembles more of a demo that the band were tinkering with but didn't know how to polish up. Still, the good bits are GOOD (as in the trippy "I've opened my eye" bit near the end) and live it's one hell of an audio visual headfuck.

Personally I would have gone with:

10. Jimmy
9. Intension
8. 46 & 2
7. Rosetta Stoned
6. Schism
5. Aenima
4. Lateralus
3. Refelction
2. Pushit
1. The Patient

It's interesting you should note being somewhat confused about Third Eye upon first hearing, due to only having been exposed to the "alternative" flavour of the months acts of the day. I was completely the opposite. AT the time (1996) I was immersed in noise, surrealism, psychedelia electronica, drone and Japanese weirdo shit and initially thought the Third Eye sounded like a run of the mill grunge metal band desperately trying to break out of its shell in a misguided attempt to gain arthouse cred (but not quite having the chops to pull it off).

A few years later it clicked with me, but only after I had bad mouthed " those Rollins Band covering King Crimson guys" to anyone who'd bother to listen
'It is time for us to be doing what we have been doing every day. And that time is now'

Actual quote from Kamala Harris
not tyson
Grammy Winner
Height: 186cm

Post by not tyson »

Damn, you're so cool.
petemasterpete
Lunchinator
Height: 7" (limp)

Post by petemasterpete »

hellboy wrote:Finally!
I’ve been a little busy of late, so my Tool Top 10 has been on the backburner, however now that things are settling down, it’s time to work towards the top 3! I don’t think my top 3 will come as a surprise to many of you, though perhaps the order may. Anyway, number three is fittingly Third Eye.

There were plenty of eye opening moments for me on Aenima. As a rock and metal fan who’s musical experience didn’t range much past Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Faith No More and Guns n’ Roses, Third Eye was a song that revealed a world of progressive music that previously I hadn’t heard. It’s a long winding track that shows a range of musical dynamics, and one that after first listen left me thinking “what the fuck is this?”. Aenima was for me an album that took a while to grow on me, and once I’d embraced this song, I had embraced the album, and at the same time understood what Tool were about.

Musically it’s a strong one – Danny and Adam both stretch their legs in the final stanza of the song, and Maynard’s vocals are some of his finest. It’s a great live track as well, you need only listen to Salival to hear Tool play it at their peak.
also it uses the word poop multiple times ... greatest song ever!
well piss on my tits and tell me it's raining
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

petemasterpete wrote:
hellboy wrote:Finally!

also it uses the word poop multiple times ... greatest song ever!
And this how Pete earned his title.
Don't mow your lawn
Calfium Jay
Queric
Height: 189cm

Post by Calfium Jay »

Not Tyson wrote:Damn, you're so cool.
Cool has nothing to do with it. If anything it's a commentary on the diverse nature of Tool fans. They seem to be able to draw in fans from all sorts of genres If you look specifically at the members of Tool and learn about the music that has influenced them....you'll find it's all over the shop.
'It is time for us to be doing what we have been doing every day. And that time is now'

Actual quote from Kamala Harris
not tyson
Grammy Winner

Post by not tyson »

Like MJK and Kiss
MOG
Scissorman

Post by MOG »

Third Eye is a MASTERPIECE. It is HIGH art. Tool will never write a song that good again.
inspiration_tactic
Has been

Post by inspiration_tactic »

Calfium Jay wrote:
Not Tyson wrote:Damn, you're so cool.
Cool has nothing to do with it. If anything it's a commentary on the diverse nature of Tool fans. They seem to be able to draw in fans from all sorts of genres If you look specifically at the members of Tool and learn about the music that has influenced them....you'll find it's all over the shop.
That's very true. To one man's ear it may sound like a "grunge band" trying to leave that scene behind. To another it may sound very classical. Some liken it to Pink Floyd or Zeppelin. Some hear a lot of King Crimson. Compartmentalizing and ranking are things that Americans love to do for whatever reason... I guess we feel more comfortable about things when we can sum them up in a few sentences. One thing I've always said with Tool is that it's different for everybody...thus it's pointless to push them towards a categorization. They stand on their own as their own genre. For a band to feature a song like Stinkfist first on an album and to wrap up the same album with a song like Third Eye and to have their listeners actually come along for the ride and enjoy it... it's remarkable. A band that can write a song as smooth and somehow... glitchy... as Third Eye (I don't know how else to describe it) defies whatever categorization we can give them while trying to also sum up songs like Stinkfist, Forty-Six and 2, and Hooker. While my prog tastes have been shaped greatly by Stairway to Heaven and Pushit (songs that feature the multiple parts and a build up of sorts--rectifying the situation at the end) I haven't felt satisfied by Third Eye until I heard the new live version with the extended jam at the end. Third Eye reminds me more of King Crimson than any of their other songs (see? there I go). Tool played a 10+ minute song, with the extension, as the first song at the show. That was the first time I loved it. I fucking loved it. I felt the extension helped put the proper bow on the song.
choose to spiral out... or shut the fuck up
Ettan
Dopocalyptic
Height: 190cm

Post by Ettan »

I love third eye BUT for some reason, I just don't like the studio version at all. It's so much better live, especially on Salival.. Well, time to cry and see the final of breaking bad. :(
azbay
RIP

Post by azbay »

I was 14 when aenima fell in my hands (a friend gave it to me because he got it on accident, thank you columbia records deal). I knew the album had something special to it, but it wasn't until I fell asleep and woke up to third eye that I really woke up to what Tool is (or was, in referencing mog here! j/k). Then actually being able to see it live in '02! Amazeballs!
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

So we should be getting #1 here soon.

I wonder what it could be?
Don't mow your lawn
Ravenpig
Peen Taster

Post by Ravenpig »

It's definitely a Tool song
Hey! Denty!
N.Y.H.C.
Serial Thrilla

Post by N.Y.H.C. »

Ettan wrote:I love third eye BUT for some reason, I just don't like the studio version at all. It's so much better live, especially on Salival.. Well, time to cry and see the final of breaking bad. :(
Salvial "Third Eye" >
Asteroids do not concern me, Admiral. I want that ship, not excuses.
inspiration_tactic
Has been

Post by inspiration_tactic »

The grammy-award winning ___________ comes in at #1. If The Grudge is HB's definitive Tool song, ___________ is mine.
choose to spiral out... or shut the fuck up
basejumper
Droner

Post by basejumper »

UndKeineZwEier wrote:So we should be getting #1 here soon.

I wonder what it could be?
Not before a recap of the top 9. Hellboy is stringing this along because of the lack of news elsewhere.
Professor of Lesbian Science
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

He probably lost the list again. Has to go through all the songs and figure out which one was his number 1.
Don't mow your lawn
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

it takes me days to find the shittiest fan made video to go with the track
not tyson
Grammy Winner

Post by not tyson »

Maynard's dick is my pick for #1, we all know how hard Hellboy has been riding it for over a decade plus.
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

hellboy wrote:it takes me days to find the shittiest fan made video to go with the track
You should've said something! That's an easy problem to rectify. Just give me ten minutes.
Don't mow your lawn
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

UndKeineZwEier wrote:rectify
Ki77aan :twisted: