Shit I post on Fourtheye that doesn't deserve a new thread

The Main Event
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Re: Shit I post on Fourtheye that don't deserve a new thread

Post by Kittaan »

N.Y.H.C. wrote:so in 2014 is MOG saying he will listen to some Dream Theater ballads? come on in bro, the Octavarium is fine.
Ya know what NY? I have come to appreciate your sense of humor, your film recs and some of your taste in music... but the DT still baffles me. That and the cage match shit.

There are so many bands out there who do what I assume you like about DT better than DT does it. Just the vocals alone are so cringe worthy they are a parody unto themselves. Anyway, what do you see in them? Honestly curious.
Ki77aan :twisted:
ilikecheese
Hey Jude

Post by ilikecheese »

So you're sayin you're curious...
The above post is entertainment. It is most likely not directed at any individual unless specified. Any other interpretation, gleaning, or reckoning, of this post without the express, written, consent of Cheese, is strictly prohibited.
ilikecheese
Hey Jude

Post by ilikecheese »

inspiration_tactic wrote:
ilikecheese wrote:WHO LET THE MOG OUT?!
WHO
WHO
WHO
WHO
WHO LET THE MOG OUT?!
worst post ever...
worst and funniest in one week.

The above post is entertainment. It is most likely not directed at any individual unless specified. Any other interpretation, gleaning, or reckoning, of this post without the express, written, consent of Cheese, is strictly prohibited.
N.Y.H.C.
Serial Thrilla

Post by N.Y.H.C. »

Kittaan wrote:
N.Y.H.C. wrote:so in 2014 is MOG saying he will listen to some Dream Theater ballads? come on in bro, the Octavarium is fine.
Ya know what NY? I have come to appreciate your sense of humor, your film recs and some of your taste in music... but the DT still baffles me. That and the cage match shit.

There are so many bands out there who do what I assume you like about DT better than DT does it. Just the vocals alone are so cringe worthy they are a parody unto themselves. Anyway, what do you see in them? Honestly curious.
I've been a fan for about 6 years of DT. so I'm 32 now and it's not like they've been a part of my childhood. my friend John gave me Scenes From A Memory and I got hooked. it's a great concept album that start's off acoustic, then goes into an instrumental, then into "Strange Deja Vu" which is one of their most popular tracks. I like the different types of songs they put back to back in that album. it helps my ADD. plus it's similar to why I like Tool being I appreciate each musician's skills. the singing is an acquired taste but so was Rush for me. Scenes is why I'm such a big fan. it's a great concept story as well. the opening song sounds like Floyd then the harder tracks sound like old Metallica. keyboards, piano, heavy riffs all on the same LP. I like extreme contrast in music sometimes. I get shit for liking Radiohead and Scale The Summit as well, two completely different bands, but it's the contrast I dig. slow, then fast, easy then hard on no notice whatsoever. plus they're local boys from Long Island, I always support local music, sports. growing up in NYC I was big into New York Hardcore, obviously.

As for the UFC I watched it two decade's ago because I was a kid and it was brutal, we rented old UFC shows when we rented like, Faces Of Death on VHS. but then it got old as I grew up. nowadays, again 6-7 years ago, I've come to appreciate it as art. my friend is a black belt in jiujitsu, the other was big into wrestling, the other is a boxer so I've learned to see the duality in it all. it's a sport but it's a brutal one on one combat, it's not like soccer or football. it's just you and your opponent in an octagon competing to see who's truly the best at what they work so hard for. most of the people I've spoken to who compete are very interesting people, most of them are geeks. big readers, sci-fi nerds, maybe picked on growing up, moved around a lot, fucked up dad's. they train as a release, it's more like chess than boxing is because of the grappling aspect. boxing is too one dimensional for me. that's why I enjoy the UFC more than kickboxing or wrestling. it's a hodge podge of all of the different aspects of martial arts. even my girl is a huge fan, one of her family friends is currently one of the top ranked fighters in the world. the fighters have great stories man, they overcome a lot of adversity to be the best. it's definitely not for the money, I don't appreciate the money aspect in sports because it's not very important to me. you don't fight in the UFC to "get paid" at all.

with the UFC and DT if you put some time in you come to respect it, you may even start to enjoy it. I thought when I was 20 I liked what I liked and that was it, forever. I was very wrong. being we're on Fourtheye let me relate it to Tool. I put them in with Rage, Alice In Chains, Soundgarden, NIN some great bands I grew up with in the 90's, they did their best work back then and that was it. when Lateralus came out? It changed my perspective on them, it pulled me in deep. I might have been perceived as a casual fan until 2001 but again, I was thick headed. so in conclusion:

Scenes From A Memory pulled me into DT deep. the Diaz brothers from Stockton California, one of the toughest neighborhoods in the U.S., pulled me into the UFC. so to understand why I enjoy these things, start at those points. do some research, you might be surprised at what you find.
Asteroids do not concern me, Admiral. I want that ship, not excuses.
children
Metalologist

Post by children »

I don't listen to Dream Theater, but they're on my "future listening list".

I've heard a song here and there, maybe an album or two, and they have never done much for me in the past, but, honestly, i haven't fully immersed myself into their music yet.

RUSH are a good example of an acquired taste. The type of music that doesn't reveal itself until upon repeated listens when the subtleties and layers and depth become apparent and you see the BIG PICTURE and it just clicks. Dream Theater seems like they're in the same type of category, but i couldn't say so for sure.

Another band i would mention is THE MARS VOLTA. It takes some effort to get into their music, but once you do it is an orgasm for your ears. They are fucking amazing...
"That's what you get when you argue with children..." -Tyson
MOG
Scissorman

Post by MOG »

@NY - Sorry bro, I hate DT more than I do Tool. No DT for me any time soon. As for UFC, I enjoy it as well. I prefer Boxing though. UFC fights can get boring watching them grapple on the ground for 15 minutes. I get the tactics and what is going on, just get's boring to watch.

@Children - You are a fucking idiot.

@Cheeser - Good shit. Some of these fools don't appreciate your Kaufman like genius. Fuck em.

Fuck Tool
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

@ NY - I really appreciate your approach to communication. Thanks for taking the time to state your case, very cool. I have listened to Dream Theater over the years (since the early 90s), and I've at least sampled everything they've released, including Scenes which I've heard more than a few times. Some tracks are OK for me, but most of it is unlistenable. I just don't feel any 'soul' in their music. I have given them more than a fair shot and that's not likely to change. Theoretically, I see where you're going with the Geddy to James comparison, but to me it's not valid. Ged's voice is really odd, but it's coming from a very organic place. LaBrie, IMO, is a poser. Have you heard his solo stuff? It's horrendous. As I've said before, there is no question they are highly accomplished musicians, but it's what they do with it that rubs me the wrong way.

On the fighting, that's never been my thing, but I totally respect your opinion and it's cool you get out of it what you do. Same with DT...

It's nice to actually have a conversation that doesn't immediately descend into name calling. You prick. :D
MOG
Scissorman

Post by MOG »

Kittaan wrote: It's nice to actually have a conversation that doesn't immediately descend into name calling. You prick. :D
Get fucked you slut

How is your day going? :)
N.Y.H.C.
Serial Thrilla

Post by N.Y.H.C. »

MOG wrote:@NY - Sorry bro, I hate DT more than I do Tool. No DT for me any time soon. As for UFC, I enjoy it as well. I prefer Boxing though. UFC fights can get boring watching them grapple on the ground for 15 minutes. I get the tactics and what is going on, just get's boring to watch.

@Cheeser - Good shit. Some of these fools don't appreciate your Kaufman like genius. Fuck em.

Fuck Tool
if you like boxing and think UFC can get boring then you NEED to watch this fight I watched with my pops and my uncle a few weeks ago, they were amazed: Diego Sanchez vs Gilbert Melendez. HO-LY FUCK. these Mexican fighters went to WAR. two savages and no those aren't boxing gloves they barely cover the knuckles. MOG, I've never asked anything of you bro, please watch this fight, 3 rounds, 5 minutes each.

http://fightnext.com/video/7NUR19YSS1KH ... z--UFC-166
children
Metalologist

Post by children »

MOG wrote:@NY - Sorry bro, I hate DT more than I do Tool. No DT for me any time soon. As for UFC, I enjoy it as well. I prefer Boxing though. UFC fights can get boring watching them grapple on the ground for 15 minutes. I get the tactics and what is going on, just get's boring to watch.

Fuck Tool
Okay, so i am an idiot, yet i am NOT a fool?

Do you not realize that i am the one who pointed out the Kaufman-esque qualities in Cheese?

You are one "intelligent" motherfucker...
"That's what you get when you argue with children..." -Tyson
MOG
Scissorman

Post by MOG »

N.Y.H.C. wrote:

Fuck Tool
if you like boxing and think UFC can get boring then you NEED to watch this fight I watched with my pops and my uncle a few weeks ago, they were amazed: Diego Sanchez vs Gilbert Melendez. HO-LY FUCK. these Mexican fighters went to WAR. two savages and no those aren't boxing gloves they barely cover the knuckles. MOG, I've never asked anything of you bro, please watch this fight, 3 rounds, 5 minutes each.

Dude you totally missed what I was saying. I know about the Sanchez/Melendez fight. Was a stand up war. I like UFC and follow it. I simply prefer Boxing. Too many UFC fights go to the ground for long periods of time. And while I appreciate the technique and strategy involved in wrestling, ju-jitsu, and general ground and pound often times it gets boring. I will always prefer Boxing. It is, and always will be, the sweet science.
N.Y.H.C.
Serial Thrilla

Post by N.Y.H.C. »

MOG wrote:
N.Y.H.C. wrote:

Fuck Tool

Dude you totally missed what I was saying. I know about the Sanchez/Melendez fight. Was a stand up war. I like UFC and follow it. I simply prefer Boxing. Too many UFC fights go to the ground for long periods of time. And while I appreciate the technique and strategy involved in wrestling, ju-jitsu, and general ground and pound often times it gets boring. I will always prefer Boxing. It is, and always will be, the sweet science.
yeah, wow, I completely missed that part... fuck you want from me at 5am. spell check doesn't cure retardedness. or maybe I'm Russian? I forget...
ilikecheese
Hey Jude

Post by ilikecheese »

hellboy wrote:Shit I post on Fourtheye that don't deserve a new thread....

Before And After....

Like On Wheel Of Fortune.

--Maynard James Keenan Ivory Wayans--
Ettan
Dopocalyptic
Height: 190cm

Post by Ettan »

Can someone please verify this?

"Back in the day I remember Adam posting on their website that Maynard was missing, he wrote something like "Has anyone seen Maynard?". Then Maynard wrote "I have found jesus". Turns out he was in somewhere in mexico drinking moonshine for the past 9 months".

Someone told me that story yesterday at a concert who works in the music industry, apparently he's a tour manager for a lot of big bands, Ghost being one of them.
badkittygothgirl
Stinkyfist

Post by badkittygothgirl »

That is one of their classic April fools jokes.
Ettan
Dopocalyptic
Height: 190cm

Post by Ettan »

badkittygothgirl wrote:That is one of their classic April fools jokes.
Thanks!
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

This is always a great resource for these things:

http://toolshed.down.net/news/april05/
ilikecheese
Hey Jude

Post by ilikecheese »

Ettan wrote:mexico drinking moonshine
ie meth
Krazy_blah
Fornicraster

Re: Shit I post on Fourtheye that doesn't deserve a new thre

Post by Krazy_blah »

Has Tool ever toured without an opener? Just wondering if these few upcoming dates will have a opening band, haven't heard anything yet???
Generic triangle avatar lives on.
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

Krazy_blah wrote:Has Tool ever toured without an opener? Just wondering if these few upcoming dates will have a opening band, haven't heard anything yet???
They tours Oz last year with no opener. I'd heard that Failure and/or Yob would be supporting, and that came from a good source but I've yet to hear any official confirmation at all.
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

Many shows without an opener over the years, always billed as "An Evening With Tool". If they added a few extra songs to their set in this situation I would prefer it almost every time. Unfortunately, this has not usually been the case.
Krazy_blah
Fornicraster

Post by Krazy_blah »

^^^ Thanks Kittan. Don't recall a show without an opener recently.

Which is good IMO. Recent ones fucking sucked, even if it's not an extended Tool show (which I'm sure it won't be- just typical 2009+) at least we won't have to sit through a 45 minute boredom followed by 45 minutes of Tool set up. Fuck it, get on stage at 8:00 and be done by 10:00. (So I can get to sleep)

I'm getting old. :/
Generic triangle avatar lives on.
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

Krazy_blah wrote:Don't recall a show without an opener recently.
If you're curious, you can always check this excellent resource site: http://distortiononline.com/temp2008/

You can choose the year on the right, and go through every known tool gig back to 1991. You'll find more than a few shows with no openers, but you're right, it's been quite a while since they toured the US without one.

Check the upper right of the gig listing. They list any opening acts under the tour "title". In the case of festivals, they usually list "various".

Have fun.
not tyson
Grammy Winner
Height: 186cm

Post by not tyson »

Australia had an opener, Sydney had a shitty fucking techno DJ, not an interesting one either.

I was fucking pissed off, when I saw Fantomas they had an amazing DJ, he played longer than Fantomas and was trolling the crowd.
N.Y.H.C.
Serial Thrilla

Post by N.Y.H.C. »

last show I saw had Yob opening up and they sucked a fat dick lol