How will Tool approach the design of the new album?

The Main Event
not tyson
Grammy Winner
Height: 186cm

Re: How will Tool approach the design of the new album?

Post by not tyson »

Gimmicky as in the whole 3D thing is something you'd see marketed to children, like a kaleidoscope or those old toys where you'd put in a 'film' and you'd click through the 3D images, can't remember what they were called.

Wait, view master!

Thanks google.
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

Ascree to Disascree then.

I see your point, but as far as I know, this hasn't been done on a CD package before (or since) by another band (Vicarious DVD doesn't count obviously). It wasn't just throw-away shit, like cracker jack toys, it was interesting and innovative art IMO.

Besides, I love view master!!

If you have any examples of a better single CD package, I am interested. I can't think of too many in the same ballpark (box sets excluded).

By the way, It's nice to have a civil exchange about something
Ki77aan :twisted:
not tyson
Grammy Winner

Post by not tyson »

I really don't have anything to offer in regards to better single CD package but I do want to add that to the true definition of gimmick, a trick or device intended to attract attention, publicity, or trade, it fits the bill perfectly.

I still love the electrical board of Lateralus and wondered what would happen if someone welded it together, having no idea about electrics.

It's probably just a diagram.
not tyson
Grammy Winner

Post by not tyson »

My Fantomas Directors Cut CD was cool, it was foil and smelled like basketball cards.
not tyson
Grammy Winner

Post by not tyson »

I also forget Some of My Best Friends Are DJs by Kid Koala cd had a 52 page comic and a traveling chess kit.

I still have the packaging but lost the CD.

:(
budsyralli
Fornicraster
Height: this tall

The Living Human Curiosity Sideshow

Post by budsyralli »

Fast Cars , Danger , Fire , and KnivesThis limited edition cd-sized book for Definitive Jux Records artist Aesop Rock was packaged with his latest 7 track EP. The book contains lyrics for the 66 songs Aesop has created for the past 5 projects. The photographs were also specifically taken and illustrated for the book.

something like this?
go taff!
N.Y.H.C.
Serial Thrilla

Post by N.Y.H.C. »

Not Tyson wrote:Am I the only one that thought the 10,000 days packaging was gimmicky?
of course it was gimmicky, they are selling a product. doesn't mean it's not innovative or brilliant.
Asteroids do not concern me, Admiral. I want that ship, not excuses.
petemasterpete
Lunchinator
Height: 7" (limp)

Post by petemasterpete »

10K was well done and all, but apart from checking it out the first time, it's essentially a dust collector, and would still be in a world without digital music. For my money, as a package, Lateralus was the shit from the transparent black logo sleeve right down to the saw blade disc design. I definitely find the insert to be much more interesting and rewarding as a piece of art to look at. So much so that on the 10K mini, while everyone was at Cosm getting 10K related shit signed (understandably so, as you do), I handed Alex my Lateralus insert instead.

For the new one, I think it would be cool to match up with some of the guys that have done their gig posters in the past and maybe have a book of art with an image to match the track from that particular artists perspective or whatever but without them actually including lyrics or song titles as a part of the work. The songs should not have names, just track 1 or song 2 or movement 3 as if some sort of classical opus. If I ever had a band, that's how I'd name my songs.
Last edited by petemasterpete on Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
well piss on my tits and tell me it's raining
N.Y.H.C.
Serial Thrilla

Post by N.Y.H.C. »

budsyralli wrote:Fast Cars , Danger , Fire , and KnivesThis limited edition cd-sized book for Definitive Jux Records artist Aesop Rock was packaged with his latest 7 track EP. The book contains lyrics for the 66 songs Aesop has created for the past 5 projects. The photographs were also specifically taken and illustrated for the book.

something like this?
this release is the shit. those tracks are all solid as fuck, and when did it drop? years ago. it still holds up. Def Jux was an amazing enterprise it was a shame when it folded.
Asteroids do not concern me, Admiral. I want that ship, not excuses.
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

Personally, I think that Tool should release the next album as vinyl right off the bat. I'd like to see what they can do with the artwork in that format.
petemasterpete
Lunchinator

Post by petemasterpete »

hellboy wrote:Personally, I think that Tool should release the next album as vinyl right off the bat. I'd like to see what they can do with the artwork in that format.
[youtube][/youtube]
TheBirdman
Has been

Post by TheBirdman »

I loved the 3D effect of the 10,000 days album it is one of the best album designs I have ever seen if not the best. Tool always manage to have good designs so there is not doubting the next album will have a great design too.
petemasterpete
Lunchinator

Post by petemasterpete »

hellboy wrote:Personally, I think that Tool should release the next album as vinyl right off the bat. I'd like to see what they can do with the artwork in that format.
Additionally, it's a shame they didn't release the insert from Lat in a 12" format with the vinyl ... or did they? I only have the signed one
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

petemasterpete wrote:
Additionally, it's a shame they didn't release the insert from Lat in a 12" format with the vinyl ... or did they? I only have the signed one
No I don't think they did. It would have been great though.

Bottom line is, let's make the CD artwork the after thought this time, rather than the vinyl...
badkittygothgirl
Stinkyfist

Post by badkittygothgirl »

markuspoop wrote:Avatar sucks my freshly manscaped balls so much.

The new album will come with a Little Orphan Annie Decoder Pin that you'll be able to use decode messages when the band puts them out every week via the radio.

I was wondering how long it would take for the TA decoder ring to make an appearance. :lol:
badkittygothgirl
Stinkyfist

I've always loved their packaging. I'll never forget the day AEnima came out. I had so much fun putting the different pics in the lenticular case. I put the 3rd eye as the cd cover and it has stayed that way all these years. I still have the cd I bought in 96. Some of the joy of a new album for me is the cd packaging. I can't help that I'm a package whore. That is why I love books over ebooks, cds over digital and so on. I look forward to what they do next, but I can't possibly imagine how they will top what they have already done. I have faith they will blow my mind once again. I would prefer sooner rather than later. Hopefully with the resurgence of vinyl, we will get an immediate vinyl release.
markuspoop
Oddfellow

Post by markuspoop »

ilikecheese wrote:
markuspoop wrote:messages
the first of which will read
More like:

I like to poop naked.
ilikecheese
Hey Jude

Post by ilikecheese »

petemasterpete wrote:
[youtube][/youtube]
thief!
The above post is entertainment. It is most likely not directed at any individual unless specified. Any other interpretation, gleaning, or reckoning, of this post without the express, written, consent of Cheese, is strictly prohibited.
Calfium Jay
Queric
Height: 189cm

Post by Calfium Jay »

I don't particularly mind what the cd artwork is like this time around (although I'd like to see Chet Zar helming the design this time round) as long as there are 2 CDS contained within.
'It is time for us to be doing what we have been doing every day. And that time is now'

Actual quote from Kamala Harris
budsyralli
Fornicraster
Height: this tall

Post by budsyralli »

N.Y.H.C. wrote:
budsyralli wrote:Fast Cars , Danger , Fire , and KnivesThis limited edition cd-sized book for Definitive Jux Records artist Aesop Rock was packaged with his latest 7 track EP. The book contains lyrics for the 66 songs Aesop has created for the past 5 projects. The photographs were also specifically taken and illustrated for the book.

something like this?

it was back in 2005..... I got the limited edition signed by Aesop rock. the book is fuckin sweet and Aesop rock is one solid artist.

this release is the shit. those tracks are all solid as fuck, and when did it drop? years ago. it still holds up. Def Jux was an amazing enterprise it was a shame when it folded.
go taff!
ilikecheese
Hey Jude

Post by ilikecheese »

I'm pretty sure if tool has talked about the future
and these guys know
they know how long they want to do tool
they know how long they'll go
and if this is it
if this is the last album
and i don't think it will be actually
i think there will be one more if no one dies
but if this is it the last one
then Adam will be behind this artwork, no question
if this is his swan song with tool
and if he knows it
you won't have to worry about alex grey

this will be Adam's art.
The above post is entertainment. It is most likely not directed at any individual unless specified. Any other interpretation, gleaning, or reckoning, of this post without the express, written, consent of Cheese, is strictly prohibited.
bonebroke
Geacon

Post by bonebroke »

badkittygothgirl
Stinkyfist

Cheese, you are the only one this planet that thinks this WON'T be their last album.
Ravenpig
Peen Taster

Post by Ravenpig »

I don't think it's their last one either.

There is absolutely zero proof to say it's their last.
Hey! Denty!
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

Will the new Tool album be their last new release?

But I'm more than happy to be proven wrong...
Ki77aan :twisted: