Favorite Adam Jones solo

The Main Event
BlackHole83
Stinkyfist

Favorite Adam Jones solo

Post by BlackHole83 »

This thread probably already exists, but I'm lazy as bones himself to see if it does. What's your favorite solo of the man blamed for the delay of the record? We all know some think he is a useless, unneeded member of the band. But if you appreciate what he has brought to us, what is your favorite fuckin solo/riff?

I know this is a broad question, you can narrow it down to fav overall or by album, or any other fuckin way u want.
xZ1mM3r
Barnacle Bill

Re: Favorite Adam Jones solo

Post by xZ1mM3r »

ill h ave to come back to this thread after ive given it more thought, but the obvious one would be Jambi... i have to give him credit on that, i love that guitar/talk box solo... and i think i like to so much because it sounds just like the CD version when he plays it live. Very impressive

EDIT: His work on Lateralus is phenomenal as well... Lateralus would probably be my favorite.

[youtube][/youtube]
Last edited by xZ1mM3r on Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
xZ1mM3r
Barnacle Bill

Post by xZ1mM3r »

btw... this is a pretty sweet video.. when the whole video is directed at watching/listening to what Jones can do with a guitar, it really shows how impressive of a player he really is. Songs i just took the guitar for granted and didnt really think about the fact that Adam was making those sounds. Watch on.

[youtube][/youtube]
Ettan
Dopocalyptic
Height: 190cm

Post by Ettan »

Hehe. Skip to 5:25
[BBvideo 560,340][/BBvideo]
xZ1mM3r
Barnacle Bill

Post by xZ1mM3r »

Ettan wrote:Hehe. Skip to 5:25
LOL @ 5:42... Adam just stares at the tech, im sure hes thinkin.."you mother fucker..."
M0G
Lungsmen

Post by M0G »

Ettan wrote:Hehe. Skip to 5:25
bwhahahahaha Ettan yous my motherfuckin brotha lol

Does Jones even have any really solos? You know, an actual solo...here, let me show you what a solo looks like...

Lot's of solos, legit talent, #JesusOntheGuitar

The most intelligent person on this forum
joeypants
Goderator

Post by joeypants »

Because of the way Adam plays, it seems odd to separate his "solos" from the rest of his playing.

Joke all you want though, the man is a master at so many things other more technical guitarists wish they could do. He's a major (and absolutely 100% inextricable) reason every single one of you posts here.
M0G
Lungsmen

Post by M0G »

joeypants wrote:Because of the way Adam plays, it seems odd to separate his "solos" from the rest of his playing.

Joke all you want though, the man is a master at so many things other more technical guitarists wish they could do. He's a major (and absolutely 100% inextricable) reason every single one of you posts here.
Dude you should have realized by now that I am just fucking with you guys about Adam. I think he is an excellent guitar player. Technical skill is by no means the only measure. As great as Tosin is, and I do think he is the best guitar player I have ever heard, he wouldn't fit in with what Tool does at all. It might make for an interesting collaboration on a Volto! track with Danny, where they can both go bat shit crazy, but Adam's tone fits Tool.

Yes that is me, MOG, giving Adam some props. It won't happen often so enjoy the moment :p
budsyralli
Fornicraster
Height: this tall

Post by budsyralli »

rosetta stoned.......while blasting off....yes dmt.
go taff!
joeypants
Goderator

Post by joeypants »

M0G wrote:
joeypants wrote:Because of the way Adam plays, it seems odd to separate his "solos" from the rest of his playing.

Dude you should have realized by now that I am just fucking with you guys about Adam. I think he is an excellent guitar player. Technical skill is by no means the only measure. As great as Tosin is, and I do think he is the best guitar player I have ever heard, he wouldn't fit in with what Tool does at all. It might make for an interesting collaboration on a Volto! track with Danny, where they can both go bat shit crazy, but Adam's tone fits Tool.

Yes that is me, MOG, giving Adam some props. It won't happen often so enjoy the moment :p
Oh, I know. Didn't mean it as an attack or anything. I was more commenting on the recent sentiment I've been reading about how he's the most dispensable member of the band (basically fueled entirely by the frustration people feel at the perception that he's "the one" holding things up). Which is, of course crazy because his guitar riffs are right next to Maynard's voice in terms of "most identifiable thing that is Tool." Yes, it wouldn't be the band without any of them and to me, they're honestly all of equal importance. And once you scratch the surface even the tiniest little bit, it's immediately apparently how crucial Danny and Justin are to their sound (this goes 20-fold if you see them live). But... to a newb? The vocalist and guitarist in almost any band are what people latch onto initially. They're the most upfront instruments.

Adam's parts (well most of them) are very "easy" to play or imitate. But to come up with that shit on your own? To innovate that sound? Shiiiiiiiiiiit.
gamebounty
RIP

Post by gamebounty »

joeypants wrote:
M0G wrote:

Oh, I know. Didn't mean it as an attack or anything. I was more commenting on the recent sentiment I've been reading about how he's the most dispensable member of the band (basically fueled entirely by the frustration people feel at the perception that he's "the one" holding things up). Which is, of course crazy because his guitar riffs are right next to Maynard's voice in terms of "most identifiable thing that is Tool." Yes, it wouldn't be the band without any of them and to me, they're honestly all of equal importance. And once you scratch the surface even the tiniest little bit, it's immediately apparently how crucial Danny and Justin are to their sound (this goes 20-fold if you see them live). But... to a newb? The vocalist and guitarist in almost any band are what people latch onto initially. They're the most upfront instruments.

Adam's parts (well most of them) are very "easy" to play or imitate. But to come up with that shit on your own? To innovate that sound? Shiiiiiiiiiiit.
I agree completely. I play guitar and spent the first couple of years playing nothing but Jones. I think his style is incredibly unique. People give him shit for using the same scales over and over and always playing in Drop D, but it's what he does within those boundaries that is truly astounding, like a handicap person who, despite their limitations, does something incredible (though I think he limits himself by choice).

That said, I think all my favorite solos are on 10,000 days: Wings Pt 2, Jambi and Rosetta Stoned. Other than that I think the first solo in Third Eye is a good example of the unique sounds Adam is capable of. I have yet to hear a cover that emulates that sound.
"The whole world seems to have gone full gay retard" -petemasterpete
M0G
Lungsmen

Post by M0G »

joeypants wrote:
M0G wrote:

Yeah I think you nailed it. I do think Danny is far and away the most important member of the band, but Adam is underrated. His classical training and background in violin are evident in his playing. It is hard to copy that and part of what makes his tone so unique. You can find thousands of youtube vids where people are covering his shit and are spot on but it rarely ever sounds quite right. It is those years of violin that give him that feel that allows that tone to come through. And as you mentioned, the ability to write good music is incredibly difficult. Anyone can pick up an instrument and play. Writing good music is something else entirely.

My beef with Jones and company is about how they do business. Their musical talent has never been in doubt. Well except for Maynard, who drank his voice to shit.
limeygringo
Green Herbsman

Post by limeygringo »

When I saw Tool in Beaumont in 2002, Adam threw in a little solo during Third Eye. It's not a part from the record, it was a genuine sounding solo of the technical vein. I was taken a little aback because he never really plays like that. It was really cool to hear. But like you've all been saying, his strengths and uniqueness are in his tone and approach. One thing I never really hear people mention about his playing is the psychedelic side he brings to Tool. You always hear him being labeled a Prog Master, which I think is true but what everyone talks about in terms of his tone and his use of effects give Tool their pysch edge. His use of the slide in Aenema and Third Eye are probably my favorites because of the effect they give to the songs, but of course they aren't real solos. And in Jambi, how he uses the talkbox instead for that same kind of feel.
Ahhh, Infotainment!
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

Seeing him play The Jambi solo at the Q&A session in SF, without those effects was very cool. He used a ton of bends and really dug in deep to approximate the sound.

I loved that he fucked up coming in on the backing track and had to start it over. He really is a perfectionist. I appreciate his playing so much more after hearing it isolated like that and watching him do it right in front of me. He's got great feel and puts so much emotion into his playing.
Ki77aan :twisted:
BlackHole83
Stinkyfist

Post by BlackHole83 »

gamebounty wrote:
joeypants wrote:
M0G wrote: Dude you should have realized by now that I am just fucking with you guys about Adam. I think he is an excellent guitar player. Technical skill is by no means the only measure. As great as Tosin is, and I do think he is the best guitar player I have ever heard, he wouldn't fit in with what Tool does at all. It might make for an interesting collaboration on a Volto! track with Danny, where they can both go bat shit crazy, but Adam's tone fits Tool.

I agree completely. I play guitar and spent the first couple of years playing nothing but Jones. I think his style is incredibly unique. People give him shit for using the same scales over and over and always playing in Drop D, but it's what he does within those boundaries that is truly astounding, like a handicap person who, despite their limitations, does something incredible (though I think he limits himself by choice).

That said, I think all my favorite solos are on 10,000 days: Wings Pt 2, Jambi and Rosetta Stoned. Other than that I think the first solo in Third Eye is a good example of the unique sounds Adam is capable of. I have yet to hear a cover that emulates that sound.
Well said my friend. There is something about his tone that makes him unique among the 7 billion of us or so. I know there are guitarists out there that defy what a human should play. I've warmed up to Tosin, he's a bad ass mother fucker who I respect to the fullest. His playing is out of this world and he is only 31, the same age as me. I look forward to listening to more of his stuff. John Z is another insane guitarist. Freakishly imaginative. And the list can go on and on with other guitarists who have blown me away. But Adam is different man. His tone, UNITED with the other 3 is what truly makes him and this band so special. They will never be truly appreciated until the future. Adam is one of a kind and could never b replace within this unit.
xZ1mM3r
Barnacle Bill

Post by xZ1mM3r »

Kittaan wrote:Seeing him play The Jambi solo at the Q&A session in SF, without those effects was very cool. He used a ton of bends and really dug in deep to approximate the sound.

I loved that he fucked up coming in on the backing track and had to start it over. He really is a perfectionist. I appreciate his playing so much more after hearing it isolated like that and watching him do it right in front of me. He's got great feel and puts so much emotion into his playing.
i agree completely...

i don't think we give the other members of Tool (Adam, Maynard, Justin) enough credit sometimes. We all can agree that DC is just unbelievable, easily one of the top 10 if not top 5 drummers of all time. But Adam, like you said, is a great guitar player, he can make that instrument create some amazing sounds. He is a perfectionist but for a band of really only 3 pieces, i think he has to be, especially given how pronounced the guitar is in Tools music. Justin is a great bassist, after seeing them live there is sounds that i originally thought we coming from Adam, just based on the sound it was creating or the intricacy of the sound. But it was Justin on BASS, that is pretty amazing, to have a player like him that can keep a rhythm and still play a bass like its a guitar, that is something to acknowledge. And as much as we bash on Maynard, he is IMO, an AMAZING lyricist... he writes songs that have such emotion and story behind them. I think we can all agree that on multiple occasions a Tool song or lyrics have resonated with each one of us because we could connect with it. He isn't the greatest vocalist, but he is in no way below average. He might not give it as much as he used to but shit the guy is 50 and hes been at it for 25 years. He can still belt it out when he wants/needs to. Listen to recent recordings or Pushit or Jambi, hes still got it.

Tool really is an amazing group of musicians. Put aside the amount of albums, or lack thereof, that they release. The stuff they do put out is out of this world. I still regularly listen to Lateralus, front to back, and STILL find pieces that i haven't noticed.
ilikecheese
Hey Jude

Post by ilikecheese »

BlackHole83 wrote:This thread probably already exists,
yup, probably, and I probably didn't give a shit back then either.

:shock:

Nothing personal....just thought it was a good line is all.
:)
The above post is entertainment. It is most likely not directed at any individual unless specified. Any other interpretation, gleaning, or reckoning, of this post without the express, written, consent of Cheese, is strictly prohibited.
BlindnCynical
formery Umadbrah?

Post by BlindnCynical »