The Main Event
budsyralli
Fornicraster
Height: this tall

Re: Maynard's Drug Years

Post by budsyralli »

M0G wrote:
liz wrote:
joeypants wrote:I think it's more a combination of things, and way more the aspects of your life/being that make you get into certain drugs ALSO makes you... it's hard to find the right word. Not "artistic" or "inspired," but it's a different kind of energy. I honestly wouldn't say that 10K Days is "worse" than the Aenima or Lateralus era. Lyrically, I think there's a compelling argument to be made that the "drug years" (not how I would put it at all with this band...) are more interesting. But I think the newness and hunger has more to do with it than drugs do or did. The headspace they were in kind of led them to , which in turn influenced the music and lyrics.

I tend to agree with Buzz's take on all this, even if I also am a big advocate of psychedelic use. But, it's either in you or it isn't. Drugs don't bring it out. They can bend things and greatly influence your perspective on life and art in a very positive way, but that's it. Drugs don't make music, people do (to co-opt a phrase from another movement).
Now Joey this was a considered response, and in their haste to jump each others bones it was ignored by the rest of the kidlets.

Damon Albarn has been in the media much of late explaining how his drug use increased his productivity as a musician and was a part of his growth as a person. Not a popular view in some circles but one that I can certainly relate to.

Our minds are chemical interactions. Tinkering with those interactions, IMO, is a natural part of discovery, both of ourselves and our world, and I don't envision a day when I will ever stop (I'm saving intravenous use for my 90's). There is no doubt that certain drugs (particularly psychedelics) allow us to experience the world in very different ways and the interesting thing is that this isn't limited to the drug experience itself. When new pathways are opened they remain open for at least a time and can allow us to relate differently to the world even when the drugs are no longer physically active within us. They do give us new perspectives and ideas.

The idea of drugs being a habit that Maynard may have kicked, is to misunderstand the idea that people have used drugs from our earliest recorded history, that they do not need to be considered a nasty habit and they can be a normal natural part of life's journey; as they are for the smartest most creative people I know.

Oh and when I met Justin after the last TooL show here I would be prepared to bet any amount that he was chemically enhanced.
You actually think tinkering with chemical interactions in the brain is a good thing. Do you have any idea how delicate a thing brain chemistry is? Have you studied the main neurotransmitters, Seratonin, Dopamine, Norepinephrine, Glutamate, GABA..etc..and learned how they actually work? Do you understand how they send signals across a Synapse? Do you understand how the nervous system works at all?

Hallucinogens are remarkably dangerous. It literally only takes one usage to irreparably damage brain chemistry. Brain Chemistry isn't meant to be altlered. Every Neurotransmitter has a very specific set of functions. Anytime you take a hallucinogenic drug it is like playing russian roulette.

You wanna get high, go for it. But it is remarkably irresponsible to advocate the use of hallucinogens without having a working knowledge of basic neurochemisry.

is this why society is so fucked up..big pharm feeding all these people with pills..these drugs. whats to be said about 'these' drugs on our delicate brains?
go taff!
budsyralli
Fornicraster
Height: this tall

Re: Maynard's Drug Years

Post by budsyralli »

264zn wrote:So long story short; we don't know what the band took and when? Or if they continue to dabble while writing/performing?

I would like to think those mid to late 90s shows were just the band in the moment doing their thing without anything much harder than a few drinks and a smoke. But looking at their somewhat dull performances these days, it's hard to know if their just old and decrepit...or stone cold sober.

I believe there is a 'newsletter' about a night featuring blairs 70's lsd stash
go taff!