Maynard's Drug Years

The Main Event
xZ1mM3r
Barnacle Bill

Maynard's Drug Years

Post by xZ1mM3r »

So its pretty obvious how drugs effected his live performances, hes clearly much more subdued nowadays than he was in say 1996-98... but i was curious is anyone knows what albums were recorded with the help of... substances haha..

really this just comes down to a matter of lateralus or not... Clearly undertow and aenima were during that time, and 10000 days was not. Just curious if anyone knows when he kicked the habit?
BlackHole83
Stinkyfist

Re: Maynard's Drug Years

Post by BlackHole83 »

Not to come across as a dick dude, but seriously who gives a fuck? Whether or not any of them were on drugs or not, is it really of any importance? What will you get out of knowing, not that you ever will unless your an actual confidant of his. Again not being a dick, but I just don't get why some people need to know personal details of musicians or actors or anyone for that matter. It's useless information man
'][' [[]] [[]] ][,
RIP

Post by '][' [[]] [[]] ][, »

The guy is a fuckin' drunk now so not much has changed.
xZ1mM3r
Barnacle Bill

Post by xZ1mM3r »

BlackHole83 wrote:Not to come across as a dick dude, but seriously who gives a fuck? Whether or not any of them were on drugs or not, is it really of any importance? What will you get out of knowing, not that you ever will unless your an actual confidant of his. Again not being a dick, but I just don't get why some people need to know personal details of musicians or actors or anyone for that matter. It's useless information man
why bother relplying....? youre one of the biggest Tool fans on this site, so who are you to talk? hah. if you didnt realize ill open your mind.... drugs. make. music. better. Listen to an artist that you KNOW was on drugs during writing, are you gunna tell me Eminems new stuff is as good or better than his old stuff? he has stated that those were drug years, its common knowledge. same goes with a lot of other artists. Tech N9nes early stuff was way better than today, because he also stated it was drug influenced. Clearly maynard/tools older stuff is better than 10000 days, why? because drugs influenced it. Its not that hard to see, and not very personal to want to know the answer either.
BlackHole83
Stinkyfist

Post by BlackHole83 »

To each their own brother. Cheers
BlindnCynical
formery Umadbrah?

Post by BlindnCynical »

Was it the drugs that made the albums better, or was it that they were young, ambitious, trying to make a name for themselves, etc. I would be more interested to know what their drug of choice was, rather then when they stopped, if they stopped.
markuspoop
Oddfellow

Post by markuspoop »

BlackHole83 wrote:Not to come across as a dick dude, but seriously who gives a fuck? Whether or not any of them were on drugs or not, is it really of any importance? What will you get out of knowing, not that you ever will unless your an actual confidant of his. Again not being a dick, but I just don't get why some people need to know personal details of musicians or actors or anyone for that matter. It's useless information man
This
'][' [[]] [[]] ][ wrote:The guy is a fuckin' drunk now so not much has changed.
And this.

And this.
I like to poop naked.
markuspoop
Oddfellow

Post by markuspoop »

xZ1mM3r wrote:
why bother relplying....? youre one of the biggest Tool fans on this site, so who are you to talk? hah. if you didnt realize ill open your mind.... drugs. make. music. better. Listen to an artist that you KNOW was on drugs during writing, are you gunna tell me Eminems new stuff is as good or better than his old stuff? he has stated that those were drug years, its common knowledge. same goes with a lot of other artists. Tech N9nes early stuff was way better than today, because he also stated it was drug influenced. Clearly maynard/tools older stuff is better than 10000 days, why? because drugs influenced it. Its not that hard to see, and not very personal to want to know the answer either.
Holy bullshit generalizations Batman.

What an abortion of a thread.
I like to poop naked.
BlindnCynical
formery Umadbrah?

Post by BlindnCynical »

If i would have made this thread when i was new to the site i would have gotten 40 lashings... My how this place has changed.

You guys are getting soft.
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

^ Or apathetic.

Jeez, the typos/grammar atrocities alone make me cringe.
Ki77aan :twisted:
joeypants
Goderator

Post by joeypants »

I think it's more a combination of things, and way more the aspects of your life/being that make you get into certain drugs ALSO makes you... it's hard to find the right word. Not "artistic" or "inspired," but it's a different kind of energy. I honestly wouldn't say that 10K Days is "worse" than the Aenima or Lateralus era. Lyrically, I think there's a compelling argument to be made that the "drug years" (not how I would put it at all with this band...) are more interesting. But I think the newness and hunger has more to do with it than drugs do or did. The headspace they were in kind of led them to psychedelics, which in turn influenced the music and lyrics.

I tend to agree with Buzz's take on all this, even if I also am a big advocate of psychedelic use. But, it's either in you or it isn't. Drugs don't bring it out. They can bend things and greatly influence your perspective on life and art in a very positive way, but that's it. Drugs don't make music, people do (to co-opt a phrase from another movement).
BlindnCynical
formery Umadbrah?

Post by BlindnCynical »

Kittaan wrote:^ Or apathetic.

Jeez, the typos/grammar atrocities alone make me cringe.
I don't think grammar has anything to do with it! Content > Context
BlindnCynical
formery Umadbrah?

Post by BlindnCynical »

joeypants wrote: Drugs don't make music, people do.
I think the drugs help. You cant just walk up to anyone and go SPIRAL OUT and make millions.
xZ1mM3r
Barnacle Bill

Post by xZ1mM3r »

Umadbrah? wrote:If i would have made this thread when i was new to the site i would have gotten 40 lashings... My how this place has changed.

HAHAHA you joined 5 months before me... so lets stop acting like youve been here forever.

jesus this site is full of cocksuckers. everyone just wants to start an argument and bash on one another as if they are better then someone else. gtfo. did you guys know if you read something and you have no interest in it, you actually dont have to reply to the thread... crazy idea, i know. but i promise it works.
BlindnCynical
formery Umadbrah?

Post by BlindnCynical »

xZ1mM3r wrote:
Umadbrah? wrote:If i would have made this thread when i was new to the site i would have gotten 40 lashings... My how this place has changed.

HAHAHA you joined 5 months before me... so lets stop acting like youve been here forever.

jesus this site is full of cocksuckers. everyone just wants to start an argument and bash on one another as if they are better then someone else. gtfo. did you guys know if you read something and you have no interest in it, you actually dont have to reply to the thread... crazy idea, i know. but i promise it works.
I've been here since 2008 my friend. My account didn't transfer to the new forums, so i was forced to make a new one.

I wouldn't reply if i wasn't so damn bored at work today.

As you can see from my post count i don't really participate here too often.
xZ1mM3r
Barnacle Bill

Post by xZ1mM3r »

Umadbrah? wrote:
xZ1mM3r wrote:

I've been here since 2008 my friend. My account didn't transfer to the new forums, so i was forced to make a new one.

I wouldn't reply if i wasn't so damn bored at work today.

As you can see from my post count i don't really participate here too often.
as well you shouldnt... im surprised your mcdonalds supervisor doesnt see you playing on your phone at work ;)
BlindnCynical
formery Umadbrah?

Post by BlindnCynical »

xZ1mM3r wrote: as well you shouldnt... im surprised your mcdonalds supervisor doesnt see you playing on your phone at work ;)
Aww, that's cute... U seem mad bro. It's okay, you'll make it through it.

Remember when you said this?
xZ1mM3r wrote:
Must be the drugs effecting your memory.
xZ1mM3r
Barnacle Bill

Post by xZ1mM3r »

Umadbrah? wrote:
xZ1mM3r wrote: as well you shouldnt... im surprised your mcdonalds supervisor doesnt see you playing on your phone at work ;)
Aww, that's cute... U seem mad bro. It's okay, you'll make it through it.

Remember when you said this?
xZ1mM3r wrote:
Must be the drugs effecting your memory.
yeah i said that... in no way does it apply to me continuing an argument you initiated when you replied to this thread, with absolutely no interest in the topic.

oh and anyone who uses "bro" in a sentence immediately loses respect and credibility.
BlindnCynical
formery Umadbrah?

Post by BlindnCynical »

xZ1mM3r wrote:
yeah i said that... in no way does it apply to me continuing an argument you initiated when you replied to this thread, with absolutely no interest in the topic.

oh and anyone who uses "bro" in a sentence immediately loses respect and credibility.
Which post are you referring to? My first post i added to the discussion, saying i would rather know their drug of choice. Then i made a general statment saying that "back in the day" certain users would be all over this. I assure you i was not trying to pick a fight.

lighten up bro, life's too short.

inb4 move to bicker thread.
markuspoop
Oddfellow

Post by markuspoop »

xZ1mM3r wrote:oh and anyone who uses "bro" in a sentence immediately loses respect and credibility.
As opposed to the guy who uses kindergarten-esque and/or high-school-girl-text-messaging grammar?
I like to poop naked.
badkittygothgirl
Stinkyfist

Post by badkittygothgirl »

xZ1mM3r wrote:did you guys know if you read something and you have no interest in it, you actually dont have to reply to the thread... crazy idea, i know. but i promise it works.

If we did that, no one would have replied to your post.
xZ1mM3r
Barnacle Bill

Post by xZ1mM3r »

markuspoop wrote:
xZ1mM3r wrote:oh and anyone who uses "bro" in a sentence immediately loses respect and credibility.
As opposed to the guy who uses kindergarten-esque and/or high-school-girl-text-messaging grammar?
Does grammar get your dick hard? Let it go buddy, it's a forum, not a college essay; not that you would know what one of those consists of anyways.
xZ1mM3r
Barnacle Bill

Post by xZ1mM3r »

badkittygothgirl wrote:
xZ1mM3r wrote:did you guys know if you read something and you have no interest in it, you actually dont have to reply to the thread... crazy idea, i know. but i promise it works.

thats what i would have preferred.
badkittygothgirl
Stinkyfist

Post by badkittygothgirl »

xZ1mM3r wrote:
badkittygothgirl wrote:

thats what i would have preferred.

Welcome to the interwebs.
markuspoop
Oddfellow

Post by markuspoop »

xZ1mM3r wrote:
markuspoop wrote:
Does grammar get your dick hard? Let it go buddy, it's a forum, not a college essay; not that you would know what one of those consists of anyways.
Actually, as someone with a degree in English and as one who works as an editor, grammar does get my dick hard. Very hard.
I like to poop naked.