New Album Touring (with SPOILERS!)

The Main Event
bhatpat
Maynard Believer

Re: New Album Touring (with SPOILERS!)

Post by bhatpat »

I honestly suspect that some of these older staples are being kept in the rotation solely for their video accompaniment. Their shows have become so visually reliant over the past ten years I could see this being the reason some of the songs have stayed the same. With that said, I’m a little surprised they haven’t dropped one of these new videos that have been hinted at or even included the video from the physical cd in the new live show.
children
Metalologist

Post by children »

Replace Danny? Who else could ever do the songs justice? You think the band would ever even for a second consider replacing any of them? They have said before they will play together until one of them dies..
"That's what you get when you argue with children..." -Tyson
tys0n
Streeper

Post by tys0n »

children wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:24 pm Who else could ever do the songs justice? Y
Tomas Haake, Jay Weinberg or Daniel Adair
Canned audience laughter
Busty McCracken
Lord Festivus

Post by Busty McCracken »

tys0n wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:17 pm
children wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:59 pm
tys0n wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:25 pm The Cure's an old band and play 3 hours plus sets, a lot of older bands do.

Just sayin . . .
The Cure's song are much less demanding than Tool's, especially when it comes to the drumming.
So get someone who can keep up?

Tool have laid down the frameworks for their songs which are great but if they get to an age where they can't perform at their peak maybe it's time to bring in some people who can. People don't go see Macbeth, Swan Lake or Cats and expect the same artists to be performing.
Some of your finest work my friend. :lol:

@bob. Wouldn't say I'm happy about The set. I'd happily take the new album live plus eulogy , H , Jerk Off, Lateralus and a thank you good night. But I ain't gonna whinge about it when I don't get what I want is all.
Listen to All Them Witches
children
Metalologist

Post by children »

tys0n wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:31 pm
children wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:24 pm Who else could ever do the songs justice? Y
Tomas Haake, Jay Weinberg or Daniel Adair
Lol should have known you were trolling. Goddamn it!
"That's what you get when you argue with children..." -Tyson
liz
Lunchinator

Post by liz »

Yes. You really should have. Lol
"She's a very charming and delightful creature, and has only one fault that I know of. It happens, unfortunately, that that single blemish is a want of taste. She don't like me."
C_Dreyer
Maynard Believer

Post by C_Dreyer »

King Crimson in recent years... two sets of close to 1.5hrs of damn demanding music. And Fripp is old as fuck!

Not slagging the Tool dudes, just sayin'. I haven't seen them since '06, so will gladly take anything they serve up, if they ever play Oahu.
Last edited by C_Dreyer on Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

I'd be all for Tool playing longer, and I reckon they should. Make the intermission as long as you need to make it happen
liz
Lunchinator

Post by liz »

Absolutely, a grandpa nap is perfectly acceptable mid set.
"She's a very charming and delightful creature, and has only one fault that I know of. It happens, unfortunately, that that single blemish is a want of taste. She don't like me."
limeygringo
Green Herbsman

Post by limeygringo »

I would love to see Tool play 2.5 hour sets, there's so much potential there. But it shouldn't be to cater to the fans. It should be 100% driven by their own incentives. They've earned the right to do shit their way, and that's what made them who they are.

If they did a tour in the future where they only played only 10+minute epics instead of the hits, it'd make me and a whole bunch of people happy. But if they hated doing, it would suck for everyone. So just enjoy what ya get!
Ahhh, Infotainment!
Busty McCracken
Lord Festivus

Ok I think maybe I've got it now.

So those who are upset they aren't playing descending on this latest leg. How many of you regularly have to travel a fair distance to see your favourite bands as compared to generally having to travel 45 mins down the road?. Legit question.

I'm 2000 kms away from the nearest capital city so am used to travelling substantial distances to see my fav bands and never miss the chance to see them live. So when I see people upset they haven't played descending this tour I'm looking at it from a point of view of , well no shit, they played it last tour. If I lived in USA i would have been all over those shows back in May and seen it then and would have then travelled again this tour and been stoked to see an extra 2 new songs this time around.

Just curious on the numbers of those upset against those who have to actually travel far to see them.
thekillingjoke
Fanboi

Post by thekillingjoke »

US and AUS distances for seeing shows have always been mind boggling to me. I couldn't even list all live venues I've got in a 60-90 minute range, from tiny clubs to several big arenas and stadiums. During the summer tour I went to Berlin for the first time ever, after 20 years or so of going "nah, I won't travel those 550km just to see a show". I'm not sure if travel distance has any influence on how happy I'd be with a show, though.
tys0n
Streeper

Post by tys0n »

Yeah but in Berlin you've got women who will shit on you for a price, not so many in your local area, well worth the trip.
Canned audience laughter
ms2r
Uncle Fucker

Post by ms2r »

Venues I visit are between one hour and two and a half hour of driving. Last Tool one was in Amsterdam. The last one in 2006 in Oberhausen.

... And in 2001 & 2006 at the Pinkpop festival... Which is 5 minutes... And with good wind I can listen in my backyard.
MobileVortex
RIP

Post by MobileVortex »

Tool is always a 2+hour drive for me. They have only been within an hour drive once, and that was in 2007, and it was the worst show out of all of them. My longest drive was around 7 hours, but that was for a full weekend festival.
inequitude
Has been

Post by inequitude »

The gong must be frustrated
ziggy23
Stink Wizard

Post by ziggy23 »

- You like noisy music?
- Yes. The louder the better. Stops me from thinking.
- You don't like to think? What do you like?
- Never thought about it.
ToolFanFromWayBack
Geacon
Height: this tall

Post by ToolFanFromWayBack »

Just to throw out another band that I saw religiously over the years that could still play 2 - 2.5 hour shows - Rush. Finally got tickets for the Houston show on Sunday. Can't wait to see the show, no matter the set list. I bet they could have played 2 shows here, but the stupid Rockets are playing on Monday. Damn you NBA...
nxrm
Dan's Alias

Post by nxrm »

hellboy wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:55 pm I'd be all for Tool playing longer, and I reckon they should. Make the intermission as long as you need to make it happen
I didn't mind the intermission for these recent Los Angeles shows. It was actually a welcome moment to chill before the epic finale, and I had a few minutes to walk over and chat with Kittaan (it's also when I ran into Joe Barresi). Most importantly, they didn't bring the house lights all the way up. That made all the difference to me.
tys0n wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:01 am Yeah but in Berlin you've got women who will shit on you for a price, not so many in your local area, well worth the trip.
:shock:
Busty McCracken wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:05 am Ok I think maybe I've got it now.

So those who are upset they aren't playing descending on this latest leg. How many of you regularly have to travel a fair distance to see your favourite bands as compared to generally having to travel 45 mins down the road?. Legit question.

I'm 2000 kms away from the nearest capital city so am used to travelling substantial distances to see my fav bands and never miss the chance to see them live. So when I see people upset they haven't played descending this tour I'm looking at it from a point of view of , well no shit, they played it last tour. If I lived in USA i would have been all over those shows back in May and seen it then and would have then travelled again this tour and been stoked to see an extra 2 new songs this time around.

Just curious on the numbers of those upset against those who have to actually travel far to see them.
All very true. The longest distance I've ever travelled to see Tool play was 300 miles (LA to Vegas). I was looking forward to the full version of Descending this tour, but I figure it'll be back in the setlist when they come back around in a year or two, along with Tempest hopefully.

I've considered getting to other shows out of state on past tours, but always end up waiting for them to come back to LA. Spoiled indeed. :D
So Long, and Thanks for All the Tool.
Busty McCracken
Lord Festivus

Its not so much as spoiled, I mean I could move closer to a city if that's what I really wanted. But yeah I just thought that maybe people aren't looking at it that way coz they're so used to only seeing a band when it's within driving distance.

Basically if Tool comes to the country I live in, I'm going so in this example I would have seen descending last year. Kinda like ya snooze ya lose ya know?

Don't get me wrong I wish they'd have a 4th song in there be it descending or 7empest but am not overly surprised at all about that's it's not.
Takeo
Has been

Post by Takeo »

“Alpha Omega
A-Z
It’s good to be home
We were just in LA”
(booooooooooooooo)

...cue Aenema.

Good show. Exactly what you expect it to be, for better or worse.
rshforgothispw
Fornicraster

Post by rshforgothispw »

Busty McCracken wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:33 pm Its not so much as spoiled, I mean I could move closer to a city if that's what I really wanted. But yeah I just thought that maybe people aren't looking at it that way coz they're so used to only seeing a band when it's within driving distance.

Basically if Tool comes to the country I live in, I'm going so in this example I would have seen descending last year. Kinda like ya snooze ya lose ya know?

Don't get me wrong I wish they'd have a 4th song in there be it descending or 7empest but am not overly surprised at all about that's it's not.
When tool announced their tour last year i bought tickets for the epicenter festival the day they went on sale (3and1/2hrsaway). watched each setlist to prior shows and saw that they played the same songs for the most part so i figured one concert would be suffice. When we got there it got postponed for 3 hrs due to weather and then ended up being cancelled.

Thats the sole reason im bummed about descending. We were the one cancelled show. Its my favorite song. To me, its their anthem, they teased it for years to only play it one tour? So i went and bought tickets straight away again this year to an indoor venue that is nearly 5hrs away and got VIP so i could front row for them to play descending!

anyway, ive sort of got over it i pulled out undertow the other day and fell back in love with intolerance so im more than grateful to get another shot at watching them. Just would have probably put this upcoming show above my kids being born if descending was in their current setlist.
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

Wow, don’t say that in front of the wife RSH!

Honestly, the quality of the performance, the sequencing, the stage show/lighting/visuals and just the obvious enjoyment they all exhibit in Being there together, delivering some of their new material will obviate any need you have to bitch about the setlist. I completely understand the gripes, and would have dearly loved to get Descending and 7empest, but I have no regrets.

Intolerance was amazing, but their energy and conviction performing Part of Me was jaw dropping. It was a small tweak, but made night two in LA that much sweeter.

Enjoy your show.
Ki77aan :twisted:
Busty McCracken
Lord Festivus

Yeah that cancelled show would have been pretty damn gut wrenching man, to happen on the day of sure does suck.

Descending sure is a farken ripper and I hope we get it come Aussie time but man I'm just psyched to get some new songs regardless of which ones coz they're all pretty deadly.

And kittaan out of the rotated songs, I see undertow getting most of the love. Don't get me wrong I love the entire undertow album so would be stoked to see intolerance but man , part of me would be amazing to see live. One of the first tool songs I ever learned on bass and just an all round banger of a tune
nxrm
Dan's Alias

Post by nxrm »

I've been enjoyed these side stage pictures recently. Had no idea Danny's riser platform was transparent.

So Long, and Thanks for All the Tool.