New Album Touring (with SPOILERS!)

The Main Event
User avatar
ToolFanFromWayBack
Geacon
Posts: 245
Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2014 2:08 am
Height: this tall

Re: New Album Touring (with SPOILERS!)

Post by ToolFanFromWayBack » Wed Mar 11, 2020 12:59 pm

Calfium Jay wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:18 pm
rgardjr wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 2:16 pm

I only saw one person with a mask.

I was wearing a mask.


:|
I don't think a bondage mask and ball gag are what they were referring to...

User avatar
thekillingjoke
Fanboi
Posts: 90
Joined: Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:56 am

Re: New Album Touring (with SPOILERS!)

Post by thekillingjoke » Wed Mar 11, 2020 1:26 pm

Interesting bit in a diary entry by King Crimson's manager:

"Last September, we had everything in place for this year. Tool had invited King Crimson to tour with them as a double header in the US in June and July. We met with their manager in LA and everything was settled. Until they unfortunately cancelled just before Christmas."

https://www.facebook.com/notes/king-cri ... 0627732519

I can't really imagine how this would have worked. Tools and KCs touring concepts seem like polar opposites, from venue choice/audience size to stage production (King Crimson's shows are almost more classical concerts than rock shows, mostly in smaller/mid sized theate style venues, no light show to speak of, etc.).

User avatar
Merkaba
My pain is just an excuse
Posts: 53
Joined: Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:42 pm

Re: New Album Touring (with SPOILERS!)

Post by Merkaba » Wed Mar 11, 2020 1:51 pm

thekillingjoke wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 1:26 pm
Interesting bit in a diary entry by King Crimson's manager:

"Last September, we had everything in place for this year. Tool had invited King Crimson to tour with them as a double header in the US in June and July. We met with their manager in LA and everything was settled. Until they unfortunately cancelled just before Christmas."

https://www.facebook.com/notes/king-cri ... 0627732519

I can't really imagine how this would have worked. Tools and KCs touring concepts seem like polar opposites, from venue choice/audience size to stage production (King Crimson's shows are almost more classical concerts than rock shows, mostly in smaller/mid sized theate style venues, no light show to speak of, etc.).
Correct me if I’m wrong, but didn’t KC and Tool tour together back in 2001-2002 during the Lateralus days? And they would have been arena venues.

User avatar
Kittaan
Rent Freznor
Posts: 4851
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:56 am
Location: , Location, Location!

Re: New Album Touring (with SPOILERS!)

Post by Kittaan » Wed Mar 11, 2020 6:36 pm

Nope, smaller venues mostly. And that iteration of KC was considerably different from the last few touring bands.
Ki77aan :twisted:

User avatar
hellboy
Site Admin
Posts: 11550
Joined: Sat Dec 31, 2005 10:01 pm
Height: 182cm
Contact:

Re: New Album Touring (with SPOILERS!)

Post by hellboy » Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:44 pm

I believe Danny's partner is due to give birth around April/May, so I imagine this is the reason why touring is light on for the following months (not to mention Maynard's wine commitments a little later in the year). I think any interpretation there's some kind of bad blood are likely unfounded.

I'm also curious as to how a KC show in it's current guise would work on the Tool stage in the large arena's they are currently playing. A logistical challenge no doubt

User avatar
the chill
Duck Hater
Posts: 386
Joined: Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:40 am
Location: San Diego

Re: New Album Touring (with SPOILERS!)

Post by the chill » Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:35 pm

Hey Junior! I know you are very busy with this mini tour, but I am going to the SLC show, flying from San Diego, and wondering what the band is thinking about the coronavirus stuff. Glad they played Portland tonight and hope they continue till the 16th selfishly since it’s my birthday.

purplepanther777
Bronco's Fan
Posts: 36
Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:48 pm

Re: New Album Touring (with SPOILERS!)

Post by purplepanther777 » Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:32 am

The Portland show was excellent. Tempest was damn near flawless. Incredible. It has honestly been my least favorite track on the album but seeing it live was fucking awesome. Descending was a bit rough through the first half but came together nicely once it picked up. I can't stop thinking it's just crazy how good they sound considering their age. Also as many have noted MJK sounds better than he has in many many years. It's not just auto-tune stuff... he seems to have more control over his voice and is more engaged with the music and coming from the heart more. Visuals were of course very similar to those from last fall but with some variation as well. I love the new direction they are going and it's just been amazing to watch the transition into the FI era shows. I've gotta say the surround sound thing is really cool as well. But mostly it was just so fuckin cool to hear nearly every song on FI ! I have a front row seat for tomorrow's show in Eugene, so hopefully the silly virus panic doesn't cause them to cancel it.

User avatar
xZ1mM3r
Adsense Clicker
Posts: 2183
Joined: Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:27 pm
Location: Autzen Stadium

Re: New Album Touring (with SPOILERS!)

Post by xZ1mM3r » Thu Mar 12, 2020 5:48 am

Eugene's show appears to be cancelled due to Oregon's recent mandate against crowds of over 250 people.

User avatar
ziggy23
Serial Thrilla
Posts: 3570
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:10 am
Location: DON'T PANIC - IT'S PANDEMIC

Re: New Album Touring (with SPOILERS!)

Post by ziggy23 » Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:15 am

Fuck your coronas
And fuck all your viruses

Learn to swim
- You like noisy music?
- Yes. The louder the better. Stops me from thinking.
- You don't like to think? What do you like?
- Never thought about it.

User avatar
nxrm
Bogan
Posts: 1593
Joined: Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:13 am

Re: New Album Touring (with SPOILERS!)

Post by nxrm » Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:57 am

purplepanther777 wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:32 am
The Portland show was excellent. Tempest was damn near flawless. Incredible. It has honestly been my least favorite track on the album but seeing it live was fucking awesome. Descending was a bit rough through the first half but came together nicely once it picked up. I can't stop thinking it's just crazy how good they sound considering their age. Also as many have noted MJK sounds better than he has in many many years. It's not just auto-tune stuff... he seems to have more control over his voice and is more engaged with the music and coming from the heart more. Visuals were of course very similar to those from last fall but with some variation as well. I love the new direction they are going and it's just been amazing to watch the transition into the FI era shows. I've gotta say the surround sound thing is really cool as well. But mostly it was just so fuckin cool to hear nearly every song on FI ! I have a front row seat for tomorrow's show in Eugene, so hopefully the silly virus panic doesn't cause them to cancel it.
So awesome that you got to catch the Portland show, and got to hear both Descending and 7empest. Bummer about the Eugene show though.
So Long, and Thanks for All the Tool.

User avatar
fortysixand2
Oddfellow
Posts: 1044
Joined: Tue May 29, 2007 10:02 am

Re: New Album Touring (with SPOILERS!)

Post by fortysixand2 » Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:12 am

Eugene not cancelled but postponed, which is good.


User avatar
hellboy
Site Admin
Posts: 11550
Joined: Sat Dec 31, 2005 10:01 pm
Height: 182cm
Contact:

Re: New Album Touring (with SPOILERS!)

Post by hellboy » Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:42 pm

I think Tool will play all of the cities they are forced to cancel in the next month or so. Might just have to wait until later in the year

User avatar
Calfium Jay
Protohype
Posts: 2679
Joined: Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:31 pm
Height: 189cm
Location: Between the buttons!!!

Re: New Album Touring (with SPOILERS!)

Post by Calfium Jay » Thu Mar 12, 2020 5:18 pm

I feel sick.
People like me just want to watch the world burn.

purplepanther777
Bronco's Fan
Posts: 36
Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:48 pm

Re: New Album Touring (with SPOILERS!)

Post by purplepanther777 » Thu Mar 12, 2020 5:38 pm

well shit

User avatar
Bobby Bottleservice
Fanboi
Posts: 92
Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:18 pm

Re: New Album Touring (with SPOILERS!)

Post by Bobby Bottleservice » Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:26 pm

Calfium Jay wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 5:18 pm
I feel sick.
HAHA! I get it. I mean OH NO! Maybe you should get tested!

User avatar
Bobby Bottleservice
Fanboi
Posts: 92
Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:18 pm

Re: New Album Touring (with SPOILERS!)

Post by Bobby Bottleservice » Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:37 pm

hellboy wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:42 pm
I think Tool will play all of the cities they are forced to cancel in the next month or so. Might just have to wait until later in the year
Yeah, luckily I did not buy tix for Salt Lake City. Most likely, this one will be postponed as well. I would have to deal with canceling flights and hotel rooms. I did get Colorado Springs tickets in June. Hopefully everything is back to normal by then. Who is the jerk that attended a tool show on your side of the world that has been infected? Probably Tyson or Busty, right?

User avatar
hellboy
Site Admin
Posts: 11550
Joined: Sat Dec 31, 2005 10:01 pm
Height: 182cm
Contact:

Re: New Album Touring (with SPOILERS!)

Post by hellboy » Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:15 pm

Bobby Bottleservice wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:37 pm
I did get Colorado Springs tickets in June. Hopefully everything is back to normal by then
Not sure I share your optimism, but we'll see!

User avatar
xZ1mM3r
Adsense Clicker
Posts: 2183
Joined: Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:27 pm
Location: Autzen Stadium

Re: New Album Touring (with SPOILERS!)

Post by xZ1mM3r » Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:03 am

hellboy wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:15 pm
Bobby Bottleservice wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:37 pm
I did get Colorado Springs tickets in June. Hopefully everything is back to normal by then
Not sure I share your optimism, but we'll see!
Heres the trick! Wait til everyone wants to sell their tickets to avoid the crowds, buy cheap Tool tickets, wait for Tool to inevitably postpone the shows. Go at a later date.

User avatar
fortysixand2
Oddfellow
Posts: 1044
Joined: Tue May 29, 2007 10:02 am

Re: New Album Touring (with SPOILERS!)

Post by fortysixand2 » Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:48 am

No surprise here but...


User avatar
Bobby Bottleservice
Fanboi
Posts: 92
Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:18 pm

Re: New Album Touring (with SPOILERS!)

Post by Bobby Bottleservice » Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:43 pm

hellboy wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:15 pm
Bobby Bottleservice wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:37 pm
I did get Colorado Springs tickets in June. Hopefully everything is back to normal by then
Not sure I share your optimism, but we'll see!
I was just trying to be optimistic, but everything is getting stranger and weirder every day. I heard some local people (Tucson Arizona) going to the grocery stores saying the shelves are pretty empty. Is it similar in Australia?

User avatar
Bobby Bottleservice
Fanboi
Posts: 92
Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:18 pm

Re: New Album Touring (with SPOILERS!)

Post by Bobby Bottleservice » Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:53 pm

xZ1mM3r wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:03 am
hellboy wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:15 pm
Bobby Bottleservice wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:37 pm
I did get Colorado Springs tickets in June. Hopefully everything is back to normal by then
Not sure I share your optimism, but we'll see!
Heres the trick! Wait til everyone wants to sell their tickets to avoid the crowds, buy cheap Tool tickets, wait for Tool to inevitably postpone the shows. Go at a later date.
Good idea! Luckily I have not planned my trip to Colorado springs and I have not scheduled a flight or a hotel room. I guess don't make any plans in the near future for now, right? Do you want to buy my Colorado Springs tickets anyone? Kidding, I'm going to try stay optimistic, but my optimism is now turning to pessimism.

User avatar
fortysixand2
Oddfellow
Posts: 1044
Joined: Tue May 29, 2007 10:02 am

Re: New Album Touring (with SPOILERS!)

Post by fortysixand2 » Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:18 am


:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

User avatar
Kittaan
Rent Freznor
Posts: 4851
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:56 am
Location: , Location, Location!

Re: New Album Touring (with SPOILERS!)

Post by Kittaan » Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:00 pm

It will likely extend through the summer as well. Super bummed to miss Tool and many other upcoming shows I have Tix for, but the alternative is unacceptable.
Ki77aan :twisted:

User avatar
tys0n
Lord Festivus
Posts: 3369
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:35 pm

Re: New Album Touring (with SPOILERS!)

Post by tys0n » Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:42 pm

Yeah you old guys need to watch out for yourselves.
Canned audience laughter

User avatar
Kittaan
Rent Freznor
Posts: 4851
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:56 am
Location: , Location, Location!

Re: New Album Touring (with SPOILERS!)

Post by Kittaan » Wed Mar 18, 2020 2:08 pm

;)
Ki77aan :twisted:

Post Reply