Video game news

Discussions on gaming, gadgets and other technology related topics
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Re: Video game news

Post by hellboy »

Not Tyson wrote:Basically everything my laptop does for me now, except I can sit on the couch and browse the web, play my downloaded music, watch tv shows and movies illegally etc on my big screen.
Ok, so there is a third option: buy both a PS4 and a media server. For the price you were looking at getting a gaming PC, you can probably pick up a PS4 and a relatively bare-bones PC to set up for browsing, streaming and downloading. Won't be much cop for high end gaming though, but would probably handle low-end graphics indies such as Papers Please.

My recommendation is PC all the way though, screw consoles unless budget gaming is what you're after.
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee
Height: Not A Fucking Manlet

Post by The Boss »

Not Tyson wrote:
hellboy wrote:What do you want your media hub to be able to do? With the exception of torrenting and other downloading/piracy, I expect a PS4 (or an Xbone) would be able to do most of it already.

Or you could look at something like this: http://www.wdc.com/en/products/homeente ... iaplayers/
I have one of the basic ones for my TV in the kitchen, and it does a great job for the price.
Basically everything my laptop does for me now, except I can sit on the couch and browse the web, play my downloaded music, watch tv shows and movies illegally etc on my big screen.
Do the one-time on your dongle and get the "SKYRIM" HD mods. Then a handful of the really small mods. I will really quickly link you if you're like me and just want Steam mods.

Plug in your 360 controller. You'll never sleep ever again.

Do you think I'm joking?
O love will you read the letters I will send to you.
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

hellboy wrote:
Not Tyson wrote:Basically everything my laptop does for me now, except I can sit on the couch and browse the web, play my downloaded music, watch tv shows and movies illegally etc on my big screen.
Ok, so there is a third option: buy both a PS4 and a media server. For the price you were looking at getting a gaming PC, you can probably pick up a PS4 and a relatively bare-bones PC to set up for browsing, streaming and downloading. Won't be much cop for high end gaming though, but would probably handle low-end graphics indies such as Papers Please.

My recommendation is PC all the way though, screw consoles unless budget gaming is what you're after.
Word. If I ever get a real job, first thing I will do is build a wicked-sick gaming rig.

I'm into PS4, but really, PC all the way.
not tyson
Grammy Winner
Height: 186cm

Post by not tyson »

hellboy wrote:
That's the plan.

Good talk.

Actually your comment about 'doesn't matter about video cards if your computer is obsolete in 2 years' swayed me.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

The Boss wrote: Word. If I ever get a real job, first thing I will do is build a wicked-sick gaming rig.
Once of the best perks of working from home is that I can deduct a percentage of my home PC from my taxable income.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Not Tyson wrote: Actually your comment about 'doesn't matter about video cards if your computer is obsolete in 2 years' swayed me.
To be fair though, not once have I upgraded a graphics card to increase performance. Usually by the time I get sick of it, there's enough components on the PC I want to replace that I just end up getting a new one.

That said, my current PC is holding up really well (about 2 years old now and still capable of playing most new release games at 2560x1440), so a new card could be on the agenda in the next 12 months instead of the usual complete replacement.
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

I've never upgraded my card. RAM, sure, but never my graphics.

So, in theory, my laptop/beast is a shitty console.

Things to think about, Tyson.
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

Not Tyson wrote:
hellboy wrote:
That's the plan.

Good talk.

Actually your comment about 'doesn't matter about video cards if your computer is obsolete in 2 years' swayed me.
You'll find yourself buying a wicked-awesome TV and a cable just to do this.

Dude, just buy a PS4. You can't really download stuff from Steam anyway.

That said, apparently Sony gets out the rape wand when it comes to your first time online.

*me cracks whip*
BlindnCynical
formery Umadbrah?

Post by BlindnCynical »

PC gaming all the way, especially if you want the media functions. Neither the Xbone or PS4 have acceptable media functions at this point. The xbone can only be an DLNA reciever, I'm unsure about the ps4 but i dont think it even has that at this point. Neither of them allow you to just plug in a flash drive or external and play music/movies off of it. Just to even out the playing field i have to show the xbone some <3. It's a great console, with some promising exclusives. That said if you can only do 1 PC is the way to go, pair that with a Roku or Amazon TV for your DLNA needs you will have yourself a nice setup.

Another good site to buy pre-built gaming rigs is http://www.xoticpc.com. I got my gaming laptop from there, and it's a powerhouse.
M0G
Lungsmen

Post by M0G »

The Boss wrote:
Not Tyson wrote:
That's the plan.

Good talk.

You'll find yourself buying a wicked-awesome TV and a cable just to do this.

Dude, just buy a PS4. You can't really download stuff from Steam anyway.

That said, apparently Sony gets out the rape wand when it comes to your first time online.

*me cracks whip*
^ PS4 all the way. It is the shit. As for Roku or Amazon TV who needs that shit at this point? Just get a smart TV. I have one, works perfectly. Can watch the Nutflix, the Amazons, the Youtubez and a bunch of other shit. Samsung Smart TV + PS4 + Harmon Kardon AVR 3700 Receiver (just under a grand) + a set of Golden Ear Triton One speakers (only $5000 a pair)...okay probably over kill there.

Dumping a bunch of money into a pc at this point is a waste. You will spend far, far less on a basic pc to function as a media server and a PS4.
The most intelligent person on this forum
BlindnCynical
formery Umadbrah?

Post by BlindnCynical »

Spend an extra 150+ on a smart TV. Or spend 25-70 on a roku that has better app support, more apps, and is faster. My roku 3 out performs my Samsung smart TV in almost every way. App selection, performance, both just opening and switching apps and buffering (my Samsung TV is wired and my roku is wireless yet still buffers faster. I pisses me off really.) Not to mention the roku has full DLNA support while my smart TV is only a receiver. The only downside i see is having to use 2 remotes.

Consoles, in my opinion, are only for the exclusives. In every other aspect a decent gaming PC is always better.
M0G
Lungsmen

Post by M0G »

Umadbrah? wrote:Spend an extra 150+ on a smart TV. Or spend 25-70 on a roku that has better app support, more apps, and is faster. My roku 3 out performs my Samsung smart TV in almost every way. App selection, performance, both just opening and switching apps and buffering (my Samsung TV is wired and my roku is wireless yet still buffers faster. I pisses me off really.) Not to mention the roku has full DLNA support while my smart TV is only a receiver. The only downside i see is having to use 2 remotes.

Consoles, in my opinion, are only for the exclusives. In every other aspect a decent gaming PC is always better.
blah I have a Roku on another TV. Who gives a shit about app selection when the apps you refer to are largely shit nobody watches? They both have the important apps...Netflix, Amazon, Youtube, etc. PC Gaming is shit. I work in IT and have played many PC games and I prefer everything on console. You couldn't pay me at this point to waste my time building a gaming machine. My PS4 does everything perfectly. PSN works great. Multiplayer is a blast. Friends list. Etc etc.

My PC is for work. I set up VM's for whatever I need to and that is it. I work on Servers all day. Not going to waste a second on a computer when I am done for the day.
BlindnCynical
formery Umadbrah?

Post by BlindnCynical »

Well my main use is DLNA as i host everything from my network storage, which without another PC to use the "play to" feature i cant do it with my Smart TV. Also there are a lot of apps that my fiance uses that my smart TV doesn't have.

My main genera of games is RTS and you cant play those on a console. I too work on servers all day, but still prefer my PC. I'm sure a lot of had to do with most of my friends refuse to buy a console at this point. Once they get their xbones im sure that will change. Really depends on what kind of games you play and what your needs are.

I still say go with the WiiU.
M0G
Lungsmen

Post by M0G »

Umadbrah? wrote:Well my main use is DLNA as i host everything from my network storage, which without another PC to use the "play to" feature i cant do it with my Smart TV. Also there are a lot of apps that my fiance uses that my smart TV doesn't have.

My main genera of games is RTS and you cant play those on a console. I too work on servers all day, but still prefer my PC. I'm sure a lot of had to do with most of my friends refuse to buy a console at this point. Once they get their xbones im sure that will change. Really depends on what kind of games you play and what your needs are.

I still say go with the WiiU.
Agreed. I just like arguing video games and technology with you ;) We do similar work but view computing and gaming in different ways and I enjoy the banter. I may have come across as harsh in the past but that is because I am kind of a dick sometimes. I am working on that.
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

No Man's Sky sounds interesting.

Though I wished they talked a bit more about the actual gameplay rather than just the technology of it.
Don't mow your lawn
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

M0G wrote:PC Gaming is shit. I work in IT and have played many PC games and I prefer everything on console. You couldn't pay me at this point to waste my time building a gaming machine
You're entitled to your opinion, but the only things console gaming really have going for them are a low buy in price, and ease of use. That's mitigated by a PC offering a better overall return on investment (mileage may vary there of course, but in my case is very much true) and that the level of difference between the ease of use of a console and a PC are pretty minimal.

PC's has:
  • A better gaming library, with many more exclusives, as a lower cost
  • the ability to be as lounge room friendly as a console
  • the ability to perform many more non-gaming tasks
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

hellboy wrote:
M0G wrote:PC Gaming is shit. I work in IT and have played many PC games and I prefer everything on console. You couldn't pay me at this point to waste my time building a gaming machine
You're entitled to your opinion, but the only things console gaming really have going for them are a low buy in price, and ease of use. That's mitigated by a PC offering a better overall return on investment (mileage may vary there of course, but in my case is very much true) and that the level of difference between the ease of use of a console and a PC are pretty minimal.

PC's has:
  • A better gaming library, with many more exclusives, as a lower cost
  • the ability to be as lounge room friendly as a console
  • the ability to perform many more non-gaming tasks
Plugging my laptop into a TV a few months ago to play games was a fucking revelation for me. Using a 360 controller, it was literally the same as playing a console.
BlindnCynical
formery Umadbrah?

Post by BlindnCynical »

Steam Summer Sale has started.

http://store.steampowered.com/
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

As noted, Steam sale is on. Mirrors Edge is going for $5 right now (and for the next hour) so I grabbed a copy of that.

It's a great selection of games on sale today, there's not one I would say is crap (though I haven't tried Dead Rising 3, but the first two were good).
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

Hotline Miami is only $1.49!!!!!!
Don't mow your lawn
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

Oh man, this game sounds so amazing! Forget about No Man's Sky, that's nothing compared to the expansive universe and dynamic gameplay of Rock Simulator 2014.
This simulator is a rock enthusiasts dream. You can watch beautiful rocks in any location in the world. From grass plains to salt flats, there are dozens of hand designed BEAUTIFUL environments.

Don't mow your lawn
BlindnCynical
formery Umadbrah?

Post by BlindnCynical »

not tyson
Grammy Winner
Height: 186cm

Post by not tyson »

ms2r
Uncle Fucker

Post by ms2r »

Mario Kart 8 owns. :)
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

Not Tyson wrote:Oculus Rift BTFO, maybe
I . . . I must try this.

Goodbye, Saturday afternoon.