Video game news

Discussions on gaming, gadgets and other technology related topics
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

Bogart said

UndKeineEier said
So Microsoft has confirmed that the new Xbox will have used game fees and mandatory game installation.

In unrelated news, Sony stock has gone up %8 today.

I thought I heard the PS4 has similar functions. Not sure where I'm leaning yet. Seems like the Xbox One has more innovative fetures at this point. It all comes down to price and what each system has to offer.  Both systems will have great games.

As of right now, Sony has not announced any sorta of built-in DRM, like what Microsoft is doing.

Don't mow your lawn
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee
Height: Not A Fucking Manlet

Post by The Boss »

hellboy1975 said
None of the next-gen consoles are showing a great deal of innovation really - just faster and more powerful hardware.  As bogart says, games are most likely to make or break each console, and at this stage there seems no clear winner in that area (to me anyway).

As Crow points out, PC gaming is all I need for now.  I'd be more inclined to by a Steam console than a Sony or MS one, presuming such a thing ever happens.

I know I've changed my tune a bit, but the only console I would consider at this point would be the OUYA.

O love will you read the letters I will send to you.
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

MACGYVER said 
I know I've changed my tune a bit, but the only console I would consider at this point would be the OUYA.

I'll give you a review on it next week!
not tyson
Grammy Winner
Height: 186cm

Post by not tyson »

All my favourite games for xbox360 were released on PC as well so looks like it's time to join the master race.
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

Tyson said
All my favourite games for xbox360 were released on PC as well so looks like it's time to join the master race.

You need an always-on internet connection for most games on PC, as far as I can tell.

Then again, I know for a fact I can play games like "PORTAL 2","OBLIVION" and "SKYRIM" without an internet connection, so don't take my word for it.

The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

hellboy1975 said

MACGYVER said 

I'll give you a review on it next week!

Looking forward to it! I'm more than a little curious.

I'd get a lot more out of my tablet if I could play games using a controller.

Sprout
Bronco's Fan

Post by Sprout »

MACGYVER said

Tyson said

You need an always-on internet connection for most games on PC, as far as I can tell.

Then again, I know for a fact I can play games like "PORTAL 2","OBLIVION" and "SKYRIM" without an internet connection, so don't take my word for it.

The only game I've ever come across that requires internet to completely work is Diablo 3.

They've said the Xbox One isn't even as good as an $800 PC, LOL.

I've owned a few consoles in my time - Atari 2600, Commodore 64, NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Master System, Master System 2, Mega Drive, Dreamcast, PS, PS2, PS3, Xbox, Xbox 360 (3 of the POS)... built my PC 3-4 years ago and will never get another console, their graphics just aren't impressive any more. Especially the latest 8 year gap between consoles, not much of an improvement at all.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Sprout said 
They've said the Xbox One isn't even as good as an $800 PC, LOL.

A bit early to be making those kind of judgements, not to mention the fact that I doubt it will be $800 when it goes on sale. 

On paper the specs may not seem high, but the consistency of hardware on consoles mean that a whole lot more can be wrung out of them by talented developers.  No denying PC's will always rule the high end though.

not tyson
Grammy Winner

Post by not tyson »

I don't know how to build a computer for shit but would this be worth the price if I upped the gigs, cpu and video card?

http://www.techbuy.com.au/p/114880/SYST ... 114880.asp
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Tyson said
I don't know how to build a computer for shit but would this be worth the price if I upped the gigs, cpu and video card?

http://www.techbuy.com.au/p/114880/SYST ... 114880.asp

Looks reasonable to me.  Don't know much about techbuy as a company though, but it doesn't sound too expensive.
MarryHanback
of Arimathea

Post by MarryHanback »

Sprout said
I've owned a few consoles in my time - Atari 2600, Commodore 64, NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Master System, Master System 2, Mega Drive, Dreamcast, PS, PS2, PS3, Xbox, Xbox 360 (3 of the POS)... built my PC 3-4 years ago.

Might I politely recommend the 'girlfriend'

...They don't come standard with HDMI, but can certainly offer other positive features & specifications.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

MarryHanback said

Sprout said
I've owned a few consoles in my time - Atari 2600, Commodore 64, NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Master System, Master System 2, Mega Drive, Dreamcast, PS, PS2, PS3, Xbox, Xbox 360 (3 of the POS)... built my PC 3-4 years ago.

Might I politely recommend the 'girlfriend'

...They don't come standard with HDMI, but can certainly offer other positive features & specifications.

I'm married and owned quite a few of those consoles mentioned.  Getting a girlfriend is more about not being a dick than spending time in front of a PC/console.
MarryHanback
of Arimathea

Post by MarryHanback »

hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

MarryHanback said

hellboy1975 said

I'm married and owned quite a few of those consoles mentioned.  Getting a girlfriend is more about not being a dick than spending time in front of a PC/console.

As an avid gamer myself, the comment wasn't intended to be taken seriously / maliciously. Just some light-hearted humour added to the mix to help break up my afternoon.

Maybe you should get a girlfriend - that's a much better way to break up the afternoon.
MarryHanback
of Arimathea

Post by MarryHanback »

hellboy1975 said
Maybe you should get a girlfriend - that's a much better way to break up the afternoon.

Because the one I have probably wouldn't like that very much. & besides that, bringing her to work for my entertainment probably wouldn't be too good for my career.
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

A listing for Mirror's Edge 2 has appeared on Amazon's German site.
Don't mow your lawn
not tyson
Grammy Winner

Post by not tyson »

Kinect 2.0 info (Orwellian Spybox general):
>Must be plugged in for next Xbox to even power on
>games and movies won't work if no one is in frame (i.e. can't just block it)
>detects heat signitures
>track IR works even in total darkness
>always listening even powered down
>reads emotions
>MS filed patent to allow it to personalize ads based on these emotions
>MS filed a patent that allows it to read how many people are in the room, and charge for more licenses when watching films
>can detect heart rate
>Finance Director suggested it could target ads based on conversations people in the room are having
>can see through thin objects
>always on
>always listening
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

The original Shadow Warrior is free on Steam
Don't mow your lawn
not tyson
Grammy Winner

Post by not tyson »

This looks amazing!

hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Needs a little more spit and polish.  It ain't no Stair Dismount though:

UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

A new report from Kotaku says that development on Prey 2 has switched from the original Human Head studios to Arkane Studios, the developer behind Dishonored. All work that Human Head completed on Prey 2 has been tossed out and Arkane is starting over from the beginning.

Bethesda has refused to comment on this rumor.
Don't mow your lawn
phox_
Has been

Post by phox_ »

Was Prey the Native American spirit versus alien super-being game?
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

phox_ said
Was Prey the Native American spirit versus alien super-being game?

Yeah. It's one of those games that I've never been able to finish. I played it once, got to a certain point then stopped playing. Picked it up a few years later got to the same point and stop playing.

Don't mow your lawn
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

This is also pretty disappointing news since Prey 2 looked awesome. Hopefully Arkane sticks with the original plans.
Don't mow your lawn
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Arkane are a much better developer than Human Head, so I'm not too bothered by this. Prey 2 did sound excellent though, so I hope it's along the same vein.