Things you've Kickstarted

Discussions on gaming, gadgets and other technology related topics
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

Over the last 6 months I've kickstarted far too much stuff.  Admittedly everything has worked out pretty well, so I thought I'd start a thread where we can talk about our experience with crowd sourcing, as well as what you have personally funded.

Here's a list of things I've funded over the journey:

An album for a mate of mine's band
FTL: Faster Than Light - an excellent game I've spent many hours enjoying!
Wasteland 2 - provided they keep on schedule to be released later this year
Elite: Dangerous - sequel to 80/90s classics Elite & Elite:Frontier.  Think this is out next year some time.
Grim Dawn - an ARPG (kinda like Diablo) from the developers of Titan Quest.  Coming later this year.
Drifter - a procedurally generated space trading game, kinda like Elite.
Cult - a world building roguelike.
Ouya - an Android based gaming console.  Should be arriving later this week if the delivery company is to be believed.
Project: Eternity - new RPG by Obsidian (makers of Fallout New Vegas, KOTOR2, etc).
The Shred Shed - a DIY music venue in Salt Lake City
Limit Theory - yet another procedurally generated space game (I seem to have a thing for this type of game).
Sir, You Are Being Hunted - a procedurally generated hunting game with robots.
Forsaken Fortress - a post apocalyptic survival RPG
The Germ - a home made Fuzz pedal.  Should be arriving soon.
Shroud of the Avatar - unofficial sequel to Ultima made by Lord British & co.
Infinite Space 3 - sequel to Strange Adventures in Infinite Space.

I've also back a few other bits and pieces via other crowd sourcing sites, including a watch and some music.  
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

hellboy1975 said

I've also back a few other bits and pieces via other crowd sourcing sites, including a watch and some music.  

What's this watch like?
Don't mow your lawn
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

UndKeineEier said

hellboy1975 said

What's this watch like?

Nothing too elaborate.  One of these: http://1facewatch.com/
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

hellboy1975 said

UndKeineEier said

hellboy1975 said

What's this watch like?

Nothing too elaborate.  One of these: http://1facewatch.com/

Oh yeah, I think I heard about that.

Don't mow your lawn
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Keep your comments on topic Tyson.  No one wants to hear about your homophobia in this thread.
not tyson
Grammy Winner
Height: 186cm

Post by not tyson »

Kickstarter irks me for the simple fact their is nearly no accountability for the services and products to be provided.

hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Tyson said
Kickstarter irks me for the simple fact their is nearly no accountability for the services and products to be provided.

No doubt there's an element of risk on any crowd sourcing project.  Much like real life though, the application of common sense can help mitigate these risks.

Not sure what the issue with that puck is though?  Just looks to me like people are being a little impatient, as it seems like that only got approved a couple of months ago, and the delivery date isn't until 2014.

That said, poor communication seems to be common amongs certain kickstarter projects, the Ouya being one of them (though at least there's light at the end of the tunnel there).
not tyson
Grammy Winner
Height: 186cm

Post by not tyson »

hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Tyson said
https://scottlocklin.wordpress.com/2013 ... rd-part-2/

Thanks - I'm not trying to say that kickstarter isn't flawed - even I question the amount of energy that can be derived from a cup of coffee.  But they still have plenty of time to deliver on the promise, so no point getting too worked up.

Also, as the article points out "It is a place of fraud and deception, a place which takes advantage of well meaning nerds who don’t think critically."  I wouldn't necessarily be that harsh, the vast majority of kickstarters that have been funded are successful and have delivered to their pledgers. But like everything in life, a fool and their money are soon parted...
ilikecheese
Hey Jude

Post by ilikecheese »

hellboy1975 said

Tyson said
https://scottlocklin.wordpress.com/2013 ... rd-part-2/

Thanks - I'm not trying to say that kickstarter isn't flawed - even I question the amount of energy that can be derived from a cup of coffee.  But they still have plenty of time to deliver on the promise, so no point getting too worked up.

Also, as the article points out "It is a place of fraud and deception, a place which takes advantage of well meaning nerds who don’t think critically."  I wouldn't necessarily be that harsh, the vast majority of kickstarters that have been funded are successful and have delivered to their pledgers. But like everything in life, a fool and their money are soon partying...

The above post is entertainment. It is most likely not directed at any individual unless specified. Any other interpretation, gleaning, or reckoning, of this post without the express, written, consent of Cheese, is strictly prohibited.
trilobite
Rhandy

Post by trilobite »

What I got from this is HB is a raging game-nerd  

not that there's anything wrong with that...
also, Avatar!
markuspoop
Oddfellow

Post by markuspoop »

I just hope no one on here helped contribute to Zac Braff's "Garden State 2" kickstarter.
I like to poop naked.
ilikecheese
Hey Jude

Post by ilikecheese »

trilobite said

You're...you're not saying he's gay, are you?

Not that there's anything wrong with that...
The above post is entertainment. It is most likely not directed at any individual unless specified. Any other interpretation, gleaning, or reckoning, of this post without the express, written, consent of Cheese, is strictly prohibited.
Bogart
Geacon

Post by Bogart »

I kickstarted a Kanye West thread...what happened to it?
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

Bogart said
I kickstarted a Kanye West thread...what happened to it?

hellboy1975 said 

I've deleted that abortion of a thread.  Over it.

If someone wants to have a decent discussion about Kanye then feel free to make another one.  If people want to troll about racism, perceived or otherwise then they can take it to a site that cares.

Ki77aan :twisted:
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

trilobite said

You would be correct.
ilikecheese
Hey Jude

Post by ilikecheese »

I totally don't know what's goin' on
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

Molder of Cheese said
I totally don't know what's goin' on

Don't mow your lawn
bonestorm
Maynard Believer

Post by bonestorm »

I've kicked in for Brissy band Arcane at Pozible, the Australian version of Kickstarter.

http://www.pozible.com/project/21546
phox_
Has been

Post by phox_ »

My viewpoint is that the people pushing the projects are getting off extremely well while the people paying are getting much less than they deserve.  Normally the people with an idea would need venture capitalist backing and those capitalists would get equity in the company, which hopefully would become more valuable.  Kickstarter pledges usually only get a copy of whatever the product is, or some meaningless trinket, and no future income.  The idea people then run off with all the rewards.
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee
Height: Not A Fucking Manlet

Post by The Boss »

phox_ said
My viewpoint is that the people pushing the projects are getting off extremely well while the people paying are getting much less than they deserve.  Normally the people with an idea would need venture capitalist backing and those capitalists would get equity in the company, which hopefully would become more valuable.  Kickstarter pledges usually only get a copy of whatever the product is, or some meaningless trinket, and no future income.  The idea people then run off with all the rewards.

That's exactly my opinion, too.

O love will you read the letters I will send to you.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

phox_ said

Somewhat valid points, though I don't think Kickstarter is really comparable to venture capital.  Is it even possible to invest $15 worth of Venture Capital?
phox_
Has been

Post by phox_ »

hellboy1975 said

phox_ said

Somewhat valid points, though I don't think Kickstarter is really comparable to venture capital.  Is it even possible to invest $15 worth of Venture Capital?

I think the price point is what makes it seem like a good deal for people.  I tend to think of money going to a project as an investment, just like stock, no matter how small or large.  It wasn't until recently that I realized that.

My younger brother (he's 18) really wanted to buy some stock since I talk about it every now and then.  I told him that spending $20 on a single stock isn't really worth it due to commission fees, but he insisted.  So now he owns like 3 shares of something, and when I visited for his graduation recently he was happy that he's already gained more than the commission fees.  He sees it as making money even though it's a paltry sum compared to the rest of us.

Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

^ Two tired old adages came to mind reading that:

1) You gotta start somewhere

2) It takes money to make money
Ki77aan :twisted:
markuspoop
Oddfellow

Post by markuspoop »

Kittaan said
^ Two tired old adages came to mind reading that: