Things you've Kickstarted

Discussions on gaming, gadgets and other technology related topics
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

phox_ said 
I think the price point is what makes it seem like a good deal for people.  I tend to think of money going to a project as an investment, just like stock, no matter how small or large.  It wasn't until recently that I realized that.

My younger brother (he's 18) really wanted to buy some stock since I talk about it every now and then.  I told him that spending $20 on a single stock isn't really worth it due to commission fees, but he insisted.  So now he owns like 3 shares of something, and when I visited for his graduation recently he was happy that he's already gained more than the commission fees.  He sees it as making money even though it's a paltry sum compared to the rest of us.

That's all good and well, but Kickstarter and it's ilk isn't an investment, and shouldn't be considered as such.  You may as well criticise the sky for being blue instead of green.
ilikecheese
Hey Jude

Post by ilikecheese »

hellboy1975 said

phox_ said 
I think the price point is what makes it seem like a good deal for people.  I tend to think of money going to a project as an investment, just like stock, no matter how small or large.  It wasn't until recently that I realized that.

My younger brother (he's 18) really wanted to buy some stock since I talk about it every now and then.  I told him that spending $20 on a single stock isn't really worth it due to commission fees, but he insisted.  So now he owns like 3 shares of something, and when I visited for his graduation recently he was happy that he's already gained more than the commission fees.  He sees it as making money even though it's a paltry sum compared to the rest of us.

That's all good and well, but Kickstarter and it's ilk isn't an investment, and shouldn't be considered as such.  You may as well criticise the sky for being blue instead of green.

The color of the sky I have seen

Can be both blue and green
The above post is entertainment. It is most likely not directed at any individual unless specified. Any other interpretation, gleaning, or reckoning, of this post without the express, written, consent of Cheese, is strictly prohibited.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Molder of Cheese said 

No amount of drugs will make Kickstarter an investment site though.
ilikecheese
Hey Jude

Post by ilikecheese »

hellboy1975 said

Molder of Cheese said 

No amount of drugs will make Kickstarter an investment site though.

what about poetry?
The above post is entertainment. It is most likely not directed at any individual unless specified. Any other interpretation, gleaning, or reckoning, of this post without the express, written, consent of Cheese, is strictly prohibited.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

The Ouya I kickstarted arrived yesterday.

First impressions are good, though the OS is still a little rough - something I expect they'll iron out in the next month or so.

Played a few games on it, the ones I tried were fun but not especially compelling.

Emulation works really well - put both a SNES and N64 emulator on and both work flawlessly.  Quite happy with that...

XBMC works really well for media streaming as well.  Finally I'll be able to play MKV's on my big TV without having to transcode them.
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee
Height: Not A Fucking Manlet

Post by The Boss »

hellboy1975 said
The Ouya I kickstarted arrived yesterday.

First impressions are good, though the OS is still a little rough - something I expect they'll iron out in the next month or so.

Played a few games on it, the ones I tried were fun but not especially compelling.

Emulation works really well - put both a SNES and N64 emulator on and both work flawlessly.  Quite happy with that...

XBMC works really well for media streaming as well.  Finally I'll be able to play MKV's on my big TV without having to transcode them.

How much was it? AU$100?

I am absolutely disinterested in emulation. Why anyone would want to go back to playing fifteen-year-old games when we are surrounded by technology that allows graphics and game mechanics that almost approach 100% realism is beyond me. I know, I know, it's the nostalgia and the blah blah blah - I don't care. That's just how I feel.

So, if you want to continue offering your impressions on the device, please feel free. But I couldn't care less about emulation.

What about the OS was "rough"?
O love will you read the letters I will send to you.
N.Y.H.C.
Serial Thrilla

Post by N.Y.H.C. »

Asteroids do not concern me, Admiral. I want that ship, not excuses.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

The Boss said 
How much was it? AU$100?

US$120 including shipping.

I am absolutely disinterested in emulation. Why anyone would want to go back to playing fifteen-year-old games when we are surrounded by technology that allows graphics and game mechanics that almost approach 100% realism is beyond me. I know, I know, it's the nostalgia and the blah blah blah - I don't care. That's just how I feel.

Understood, I'll still continue to comment on it as it's important to me.  Just be aware that the console is no where near powerful enough to have games that approach anywhere near 100% realism.  If the expectation is you'll be playing Skyrim on this, then prepare to be disappointed.

It's a little sluggish in parts (especially navigating the store) and is quite clunky in parts.  For example there is the Ouya launcher which replaces the usual Android operating system, however from time to time (installing games for instance) your taken out of the Ouya system in the native Android, and while the difference is largely just a visual one, it still feels a little jarring to be doing this.

Also, there doesn't seem to be a standard way to exit an application (something that is equally applicable to most Android apps, not just the Ouya) so trying to work out what button closes an app is a pain in the ass.  Personally, I think the controller needed a couple of extra buttons on it.  At the moment it's basically an Xbox controller minus the start and back buttons.  Personally I think those two buttons are needed.  Also, the touchpad on the controller seems like a waste of space as well.

The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

hellboy1975 said

The Boss said 
How much was it? AU$100?

US$120 including shipping.

Ouch.

Ultimately worth it?

Understood, I'll still continue to comment on it as it's important to me.  Just be aware that the console is no where near powerful enough to have games that approach anywhere near 100% realism.  If the expectation is you'll be playing Skyrim on this, then prepare to be disappointed.

Fair enough. No, I've never expected anything close to "SKYRIM", though the quality of some of the FPS I can play on my tablet gives me the impression that this platform has some serious merit as something more than appealing to just the casual gamer.

It's a little sluggish in parts (especially navigating the store) and is quite clunky in parts.  For example there is the Ouya launcher which replaces the usual Android operating system, however from time to time (installing games for instance) your taken out of the Ouya system in the native Android, and while the difference is largely just a visual one, it still feels a little jarring to be doing this.

Also, there doesn't seem to be a standard way to exit an application (something that is equally applicable to most Android apps, not just the Ouya) so trying to work out what button closes an app is a pain in the ass.  Personally, I think the controller needed a couple of extra buttons on it.  At the moment it's basically an Xbox controller minus the start and back buttons.  Personally I think those two buttons are needed.  Also, the touchpad on the controller seems like a waste of space as well.

Hmmm. All of these things (including the controller) can be updated, right? We're basically saying it's an Android tablet in cube shape, with a controller and some beefed-up hardware. So everything should be upgradable, correct?

What does it have in terms of expansions?
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

The Boss said 
Ouch.

Ultimately worth it?

At this stage I think, $120 is pretty good value.  I think the Aussie dollar was actually higher than the US at the time of purchase.  To put it in perspective I purchased a WDTV for streaming movies and tv shows for $140 last year.  It's a great little box, but doesn't have half the functionality the Ouya potentially does.

the quality of some of the FPS I can play on my tablet gives me the impression that this platform has some serious merit as something more than appealing to just the casual gamer.

There's definitely potential there - the question is will a developer step up to the plate and realise it.

Hmmm. All of these things (including the controller) can be updated, right? We're basically saying it's an Android tablet in cube shape, with a controller and some beefed-up hardware. So everything should be upgradable, correct?

What does it have in terms of expansions?

Everything, including the hardware is somewhat upgradeable.  The launcher and operating system can be upgraded at will.  I also expect that ROM's will become available for it similar to the Cyanogen on you can put on your Android phone.  I also expect Ouya will upgrade their software constantly as well (at least while they're in business).

From a hardware perspective it is hackable.  How hackable it is remains to be seen, but the case can be removed from the console with the appropriate screwdriver, so those that like to tinker can do so.  Ouya plan to release a new model each year.

The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

http://www.itworld.com/personal-tech/35 ... me-console

That review seems to cover everything pretty well.

I just went to the website to have a look at the games already available, and they're pretty underwhelming.

I totally expect this to become a small winner, though, once it starts to pick up momentum. Considering the price, I think you'd be mad not to pick one up just for the hell of it on release (or soon after).
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Yeah, that review sums it up pretty well.  Will be very interesting to see where developers and hackers take this device.
not tyson
Grammy Winner
Height: 186cm

Post by not tyson »

Can it play call of duty?
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Tyson said
Can it play call of duty?

Not sure if that's a serious question or not, but I'll give it a serious answer.  Depends on what version of COD you mean?  If you mean the latest ones, then obviously not.  This thing is about the third of the price of an Xbox and probably has about a third of the processing power.  It's no more powerful than a high end Android tablet.

That said, could Infinity Ward create an Android version of the original Call of Duty?  I'd say that would be possible, but I can't see it ever happening.

As an interesting comparison, here's a gallery of screen shots from the PC version of The Ball vs the Ouya version.  It's pretty obvious the Ouya is significantly uglier than the PC version of what is a 2 year old PC game:

Gaming on the Ouya is hopefully going to be more about innovation rather than high fidelity.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

This one looks interesting:

Video Gaming is a two dimensional product. Its experience  is basically limited to sight and sound. ARAIG provides a new dimension to gaming… taking it to a whole different level. Today we look at the visuals on our monitors and TVs wishing we could go through that glass to that other world. To sense and feel what it’s like to be there in that moment. ARAIG is this portal through that glass; it is wearable technology that stimulates the senses where you, the gamer, can now feel the rain on your shoulders, the rumble of a tank, the concussion of sound and debris, where you are drowned in the sensations and sound of your gaming world. ARAIG is multi-platform, stimulates the senses, has integrated surround sound, microphone and jack, works with all other peripherals, allows total mobility, requires no extra effort, and has the potential to work with other major entertainment media sources. 

ARAIG is a new immersive wearable technology, a suit. ARAIG is designed to enhance your video game experience by increasing your awareness of what is happening within the video game you are playing without limiting your mobility or use of other peripherals. ARAIG provides you with localized sound and haptic feedback on the torso and upper arms. ARAIG will work at a fundamental level for all games already outputting vibration feedback and sound from the game. By creating awareness through various forms of sensations we have created a base foundation for all game developers. Now any game developer can implement their own sensations to create a completely new experience for any game in any genre. No longer does the majority of the experience have to come from the visuals; it can now come from sensations that truly place you within your game. 

and a pic:

not tyson
Grammy Winner

Post by not tyson »

I just kicked in $10,000.00

http://www.jonlajoie.com/kickstarter

The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

Me too. You'd be stupid not to.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Seems legit
phox_
Has been

Post by phox_ »

I guess we're getting closer to those "beds" in Minority Report.

Also, Jon Lajoie is awesome, especially as Taco in The League.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Ok, maybe Kickstarter has gone too far....

not tyson
Grammy Winner

Post by not tyson »

hellboy1975 said
Ok, maybe Kickstarter has gone too far....

My name is Meytal Cohen. Pretty common Israeli name that also just happens to sound like my favorite style of music. Coincidence? I think not. So yes, I'm from Israel.

Fucking LOL

The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

Fucking Hell. How do you know if someone is a Jew?

Don't worry, they'll fucking tell you.
not tyson
Grammy Winner

Post by not tyson »

That works for atheists and vegetarians as well
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

Absolutely. More for vegans, though.

Fuck I hate vegans. Smug cunts.
basejumper
Droner

Post by basejumper »

I'D LIKE TO LEARN HER PARTS
Professor of Lesbian Science