General computer help

Discussions on gaming, gadgets and other technology related topics
not tyson
Grammy Winner
Height: 186cm

Post by not tyson »

I've got to clone a computer and as I haven't ever done this before how hard is it?

A quick look on googles it seems easy enough but I don't want to fuck it up as it's not my computer

danke schon

hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

I've never done it, so don't have anything Google can't offer.  Can you define clone a little more though?  Are you cloning to another PC with the intention of disposing of the old one, or are you planning to have two identical PCs?  Will it need ongoing cloning?
not tyson
Grammy Winner

Post by not tyson »

hellboy1975 said
 Are you cloning to another PC with the intention of disposing of the old one, or are you planning to have two identical PCs?

I don't see the difference but yeah, I need to move everything from the old PC to the new one so it's an exact replica, programs and all

hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

Tyson said 

I don't see the difference but yeah, I need to move everything from the old PC to the new one so it's an exact replica, programs and all

Well there's a lot of variables, so there can be a difference.  For instance you may have more than on hard drive.  In that case it may be easier to physically move one HDD to the other PC.  In my case I have a SSD which contains the OS and other stuff, and then a couple of large HDDs for storing music, images, movies and other media.  if I were to upgrade I'd just move that HDD from one PC to the other.

Personally though, if I were getting a new PC, I wouldn't really replicate it at all, starting from scratch is a pretty effective way to declutter you PC.  Any reason for wanting to duplicate it other than you just can't be bothered reinstalling shit?
not tyson
Grammy Winner

Post by not tyson »

Old programs specific to the organisation which are now defunct and no install discs for a lot of the other programs.

Being the go to guy for i.t. stuff has its drawbacks.

Seems I just need to make an image of the drive, put it on a portable device, then upload it to the new computer.

Where is mog when you need her.

Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

Tyson said
Old programs specific to the organisation which are now defunct and no install discs for a lot of the other programs.

Being the go to guy for i.t. stuff has its drawbacks.

Seems I just need to make an image of the drive, put it on a portable device, then upload it to the new computer.

Where is mog when you need her.

I can step in for Moggie, since she doesn't seem to be available....

"Seems I just need to make an image of the drive, put it on a portable device, then upload it to the new computer."

You can try that approach, but with Windoze OS, which I'm almost certain you're dealing with, there are more complications to consider than if it was a Mac OS box.

If you're still looking for help, provide some details and I'll make a rec. on how to proceed.

For both old and new systems:

Winblows version.  (XP, Vista, Win 7 or 8, etc and include the service pack level if you know it)

Hardware manufacturer (Dell, HP, no-name clone, etc)

Firmware rev. / BIOS

Hard Disk size

Format (NTFS, DOS, etc)

Any specialized hardware peripherals, ports... in short anything that might complicate a successful clone.

And finally, you mentioned something about old apps that you don't have install disks for?  You need to make sure the OS of the target PC is supported.  If getting these apps working on the new PC is the primary reason for not taking the approach Hellboy suggested (which I totally agree with) then prepare for a world of hurt getting that shit operational with no vendor support.

You need to consider all of the above before you make the move.  There's a high probability that you will have issues, so you need to be prepared with the right drivers, etc.
Ki77aan :twisted:
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee
Height: Not A Fucking Manlet

Post by The Boss »

LOL, we're referring to Mogg as a girl.

I love it.
O love will you read the letters I will send to you.
ilikecheese
Hey Jude

Post by ilikecheese »

mog is a dude....

silly nillys....go on....
The above post is entertainment. It is most likely not directed at any individual unless specified. Any other interpretation, gleaning, or reckoning, of this post without the express, written, consent of Cheese, is strictly prohibited.
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

cheese said
mog is a dude....

silly nillys....go on....

Shhhhh.  You know she's lurking (claims that she doesn't remember her login and lost the email p/w, yadda yadda), and this should get her back on.  How can she ignore being called a she!???

@ Tyson - do you still need technical assistance or what dude?  Sheesh.  I've been billing you this whole time while I've been on hold you know...
BlindnCynical
formery Umadbrah?

Post by BlindnCynical »

I'm a little confused as to what you want to do here, but I'm sure I can help.

If what im assuming is right you have an old out dated computer and need to your current OS with programs, settings, etc all on the new one. This is simple enough, the easiest way is to buy a new HDD slave it to your current computer and do a complete system image clone. Here are a couple of free programs that will do this.  After you have done this pop the cloned HDD in the new computer and boot up.  Now keep in mind that your BIOS settings on the new computer need to be setup in the same way as your old computer as far as how it reads the HDD. Keep in mind also you will have the same OS, so if you have XP and wanted to go to Windows 7 or 8. This is not going to happen.

To me it seems like it might be easier to just move the hard drive to the new computer unless you want to keep the old one running too.  Saves you the time of cloning and the cost of a new HDD.  IF you have a really dated computer this could be a little bit of a challenge, but it is possible. 

Really to help anymore, I'm going to need more information.  Little write up of your current scenario, and what you want the final outcome to be will help a lot. 

Hope this helps.
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

@ BlindandCynical - Yo!  Are you trying to muscle in on my job buddy?  I'm not sharing the billing.

And, uhhhhh, I kinda already addressed all that above, didn't I?
BlindnCynical
formery Umadbrah?

Post by BlindnCynical »

Kittaan said
@ BlindandCynical - Yo!  Are you trying to muscle in on my job buddy?  I'm not sharing the billing.

And, uhhhhh, I kinda already addressed all that above, didn't I?

Hmm I guess I didn't see your post

Sorry for wasting my time writing a response.  I think i saw someone say "where is Moggie" and thought, we don't need to open that can of worms, and instantly hit reply.

I'll only charge 1hr worth of time for my post.  You can take the rest.