New Forum Feedback

Discuss the peculiarities of the forum. Feedback, complaints, suggestions are all welcome.
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee
Height: Not A Fucking Manlet

Post by The Boss »

Not sure where to put my following points, as it's a little clusterfucky in here at the moment (understandable, of course), so here goes:

1. I feel like I'm staring into a snowflake. Seriously.

2. LOVIN' the new "Most recent topics with unread posts" button. SO FUCKING HOT. But, I don't think it's working, or I'm retarded. Totally could go both ways . . . I click on it, and it gives me threads that have "unread posts" - but "unread" by whom? Me? Because I went to other threads that I was pretty sure I hadn't read since the last time I had visited them - and there were posts that had been made since the last time I saw them.

Whoa, that seemed convoluted. Just sayin', I'm not sure if it's working 100%. If you say it is, then so be it. But I know for a fact, as of about ten minutes ago, that it didn't work the way I assumed it would.

3. One of the posts I replied to said it was "Awaiting Moderation", and before I even got to that point, it asked me to do simple math. SIMPLE MATH. There goes me posting when I'm drunk. And I doubt anyone here wants me to stop posting here when I'm drunk.

4. It seems to be a bit quicker. A BIT. Still strangely long load times, especially if I go on a riot and bust open more than three threads at a time to wreak havoc on.

As I've said several times before, this is your baby, Hellboi, so it's all good. But, I just thought I'd give you some feedback.

Peace,

C . . .
O love will you read the letters I will send to you.
ilikecheese
Hey Jude

Post by ilikecheese »

hellboy1975 said
Just FYI for you all: there's some server issues I'm having which so far aren't effecting the forums, but if you notice something strange going on then don't be surprised (and report it)!

Quote button only allows the entire reply to be quoted, even if you highlight only part of the text to be quoted...and I've been having trouble getting the text box to properly open in order to 'add reply.'  Many times it stays the light blue color and won't allow for the cursor to be placed within the text box therefore you can't leave a reply
The above post is entertainment. It is most likely not directed at any individual unless specified. Any other interpretation, gleaning, or reckoning, of this post without the express, written, consent of Cheese, is strictly prohibited.
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

cheese said

hellboy1975 said
Just FYI for you all: there's some server issues I'm having which so far aren't effecting the forums, but if you notice something strange going on then don't be surprised (and report it)!

Quote button only allows the entire reply to be quoted, even if you highlight only part of the text to be quoted...and I've been having trouble getting the text box to properly open in order to 'add reply.'  Many times it stays the light blue color and won't allow for the cursor to be placed within the text box therefore you can't leave a reply

Yeah, same here Cheez.  It seems to be hit or miss, and sometimes I'm only able to quote, not start a new reply.  There's still something fishy going on.  Fishy Cheese.  One tip for you: You can just delete the parts of what you're quoting that you didn't want to highlight.  Another step, but gets the same results.

Also, don't seem to have access to PMs again.  

@ Crow - I think you're on to something with the Recently Updated functionality.  I can confirm it has missed some.  Hopefully it's just growing pains, because I like the idea.
Ki77aan :twisted:
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

cheese said

I've been having trouble getting the text box to properly open in order to 'add reply.'  Many times it stays the light blue color and won't allow for the cursor to be placed within the text box therefore you can't leave a reply

I've been having this problem as well.

Through experimentation I've discovered that you can submit text through the copy from word function. It won't appear in the text box, but it will show up if you submit the post.
Don't mow your lawn
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

crow011 said

Suggestions?

2. LOVIN' the new "Most recent topics with unread posts" button. SO FUCKING HOT. But, I don't think it's working, or I'm retarded.

It definitely doesn't work as I expect it too, and plan on looking into it further. One thing I have found is that you do need to use the Mark Topics As Read button, as it doesn't neccessarily do that for you manually. Though personally I wish it did that a little more automatically.

3. One of the posts I replied to said it was "Awaiting Moderation", and before I even got to that point, it asked me to do simple math. SIMPLE MATH. There goes me posting when I'm drunk. And I doubt anyone here wants me to stop posting here when I'm drunk.

Can you direct me to the post you made? Full members (ie pretty much everyone) should be able to post moderation free, unless there was something spammy about your post.

4. It seems to be a bit quicker. A BIT. Still strangely long load times, especially if I go on a riot and bust open more than three threads at a time to wreak havoc on.

Three pages at a time huh? That's the kind of feedback I'm interested in regarding speed. However, as the Old forums are currently enabled, I'd expect speed hasn't been great since I did that (hence me wanting to switch them off in a week or so).

As I've said several times before, this is your baby, Hellboi, so it's all good. But, I just thought I'd give you some feedback.

Thanks for the feedback, it is appreciated
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

cheese said

hellboy1975 said

I have this problem as well on occasion, and will be looking into it.  Usually refreshing the page fixes the problem.
ilikecheese
Hey Jude

Post by ilikecheese »

^thanxs

and has anyone noticed the optical nerve/infinity forum not showing up when loading the main forum page?  sometimes it's not there
The above post is entertainment. It is most likely not directed at any individual unless specified. Any other interpretation, gleaning, or reckoning, of this post without the express, written, consent of Cheese, is strictly prohibited.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

cheese said
^thanxs

and has anyone noticed the optical nerve/infinity forum not showing up when loading the main forum page?  sometimes it's not there

Nope
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

I haven't had the problem either.
Don't mow your lawn
ilikecheese
Hey Jude

Post by ilikecheese »

Kittaan said

hellboy1975 said 
For now there are only two moderators (Kittaan & myself). 

I am deeply fucked.  I will try to not touch it.

-----------

Very clean look and feel, and so far the speed/responsiveness does not seem to be an issue;  I am limited, however I am not impressed.  Hope it works out and we can move on with this version of the forum.  Love the sections/descriptions.  Well done.

The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

hellboy1975 said

crow011 said

Suggestions?

2. LOVIN' the new "Most recent topics with unread posts" button. SO FUCKING HOT. But, I don't think it's working, or I'm retarded.

It definitely doesn't work as I expect it too, and plan on looking into it further. One thing I have found is that you do need to use the Mark Topics As Read button, as it doesn't neccessarily do that for you manually. Though personally I wish it did that a little more automatically.

Can you direct me to the post you made? Full members (ie pretty much everyone) should be able to post moderation free, unless there was something spammy about your post.

Three pages at a time huh? That's the kind of feedback I'm interested in regarding speed. However, as the Old forums are currently enabled, I'd expect speed hasn't been great since I did that (hence me wanting to switch them off in a week or so).

Thanks for the feedback, it is appreciated

Wow, what a shock - comprehensive feedback on feedback from Hellboi

1. Dude, we're TOOL fans. Anything other than white is where we are.

2. Cool. I await further tinkering. Glad Kitaan could back me up too so it didn't look like insane ramblings. Thanks mate.

3. It was the Tom Morello thread. I'll be honest, there was nothing of substance in my post in that thread, so it wouldn't surprise me if it "awaited moderation" for a damn good reason.

4. Actually, I just busted open six pages at once, and it seemed to be much, much better. No more complaints from me in that regard.

Sugo haseyo, as they say in Korean. Keep working hard/keep up the good work.

UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

In regards to point #3, right before the upgrade my comments on blog posts required moderation as well. Though I haven't had this issue since the update.
Don't mow your lawn
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

crow011 said 
1. Dude, we're TOOL fans. Anything other than white is where we are.

Yeah, but black and red is so cliche...

2. Cool. I await further tinkering. Glad Kitaan could back me up too so it didn't look like insane ramblings. Thanks mate.

I had a play with the new/recently updated topics drop down. Seems to work ok, just perhaps not what you're expecting. Basically items in blue are unread, the items in black are just ones that have been recently updated

3. It was the Tom Morello thread. I'll be honest, there was nothing of substance in my post in that thread, so it wouldn't surprise me if it "awaited moderation" for a damn good reason.

Ok, I can see it an have approved it. Preumably saying "cocks" activated the spam or profanity filter. I'll have a look into it, as I didn't get notified there was anything to moderate. Also cocks shouldn't trigger anything.

4. Actually, I just busted open six pages at once, and it seemed to be much, much better. No more complaints from me in that regard.

Not ready to claim that speed is perfect yet, though anecdotally for me it seems much faster. Any meaningful feedback, especially something other than just "the site is slow" is useful.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

There's been an update for the comment editor this morning, which I have applied.  Let's see if it makes any difference to the comment issues we've been having.

While I'm talking about plugs, there's a range that can be installed (and several have been already).  If anyone is expecially curious as to what the forum can do, feel free to visit the plugin page.  If you see anything there that you think may add to the forum, then feel free to suggest it.

At this stage I'm planning to turn on the Poll plugin soonish, and am also contemplating the topic rating one.
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

hellboy1975 said
If anyone is expecially curious as to what the forum can do, feel free to visit the plugin page.  If you see anything there that you think may add to the forum, then feel free to suggest it.

And where is this plugin page?
Don't mow your lawn
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Robot Santa said

hellboy1975 said
If anyone is expecially curious as to what the forum can do, feel free to visit the plugin page.  If you see anything there that you think may add to the forum, then feel free to suggest it.

Here: http://simple-press.com/download-plugins/

Though as I post this their site seems to be down.
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

hellboy1975 said

Robot Santa said

hellboy1975 said

Here: http://simple-press.com/download-plugins/

Though as I post this their site seems to be down.

Just checked it out. You need a membership.
Don't mow your lawn
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Robot Santa said 
Just checked it out. You need a membership.

Ah ok, try this instead (scroll down for plugins):

http://simple-press.com/features/

ilikecheese
Hey Jude

Post by ilikecheese »

infinity still not showing up

i have a screen shot but not sure if i can post it here/if it will even let me

basically sometimes it shows as

the Optic nerve

--infinity

--census

other times it's w/o infinity

edit: 5 minutes later it's back....weirdness dude weirdness....

hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

cheese said
infinity still not showing up

i have a screen shot but not sure if i can post it here/if it will even let me

basically sometimes it shows as

Post the screenshot here if you want:  http://imgur.com/

As I said though, it's not something I've seen before, but happy to take a look.
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

Who's this lucifer? And why's he a mod?

Also top motherfucking poster! 
Don't mow your lawn
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

Any chance of getting images that we post back to a normal size that you can see without having to click on it to blow it up?

Unless this forum now works like a Gawker site, where every click on shit adds up to advertisers.

In which case, I hate you and want to skullfuck you, Hellboi.
bigboy55693
Geacon

Post by bigboy55693 »

fortysixand2 said
An option to adjust the timezone.. fucking finally!

I'll second that, but why is the timezone list so goofy?  I would prefer the more traditional +/- UTC or GMT.

I made my comment on the forum color in its proper thread.

Thus far I would say my page loads are still about the same; slower than most sites  

I run one or two 4E tabs along with 8-15 other website tabs on FF in TX-US.

Absolutely love the detailed stats and information at the bottom of the page.

I can foresee "Top Posters" competitions that may arise late at night after some people are fully loaded

Maybe incorporate a top poster reset on a scheduled basis?

Lol at string of newest members.  I enjoy playing "guess which new user is a spam bot".

It looks like we now have the option to edit our own posts forever?

Moderator: Lucifer...  Who dat?

Reinstatement of the "oldest to youngest user since" chronology (IE user 283/XXXXX) would be nice.

Overall I feel much better about this format and the services provided here, even though I didn't have much to complain about with the old way or the way before that. 

Thanks a lot for the work you do.  I and probably many others appreciate it very much.

More feedback later after I get more exposure.
aMAnAPlAnACaNalPaNamA
bigboy55693
Geacon

Post by bigboy55693 »

Agreed on having the last (newest) page of a thread load first.

I guess adding the hyperlink button is coming soon?

This will be my 5th post and I'm not showing up on the top posters list (of which I show that 5 would put me in a tie with "markus" at 6th place)

All the text editing options are nice [Ænima]!

aMAnAPlAnACaNalPaNamA
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

bigboy55693 said

fortysixand2 said
An option to adjust the timezone.. fucking finally!

I'll second that, but why is the timezone list so goofy?  I would prefer the more traditional +/- UTC or GMT.

Thus far I would say my page loads are still about the same; slower than most sites  

I run one or two 4E tabs along with 8-15 other website tabs on FF in TX-US.

Wut?

I've been the loudest complainer about the load times, and this new shit is great. Sorry it's not working out for ya, brother.

As to the timezones - well, I for one have never, ever, paid attention to the time in the several forums I inhabit, so I'm nothing but surprised that someone actually gives a fuck about that kind of thing.

But hey, to each their own. I'm still search for a mythical button that will allow me to view every new post in each thread - but that ain't gonna happen.

Feels good, Hellbro. Just waitin' on the change of colour.