New Forum Feedback

Discuss the peculiarities of the forum. Feedback, complaints, suggestions are all welcome.
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

Hi everyone,

No doubt you're here to help test the new forum. Thanks for swinging by. No bout you're thinking to yourself WHAT THE FUCK IS GOING ON!!

Well, here is what the fuck is going on:

Firstly the forum looks more like a traditional forum, with navigation via the various sub forums. I hope that this may improve the way people post in this forum, by encouraging the use of the correct sub forums. No longer will I be expecting posts to be lumped together in monolithic threads. If you have something to share, then share it in a new thread. Within reason of course, if the topic in insignificant, then the moderators may shift it. But if it's genuine new news, then go for it.

For now there are only two moderators (Kittaan & myself). I hope BadGothKittyGirl and Liz don't take it personally. I've felt for a while now that we needed to cut back on moderation, and as part of the reset I made the decision revert to just Kittaan and myself doing the heavy lifting.

There are a few rules I have in place for various forums, I will make sticky posts to outline them in the appropriate areas. SUggestions and feedback regarding these rules are welcome, and feel free to use the Department of Complaint subforum to let me know about it.

I welcome feedback in general as well. The forum, while running isn't yet feature complete. There are a range of settings and plugins I'm sxtill yet to turn on, and I look forward to you guys letting me know what features you most want from the forum.

To our subscribers - there will be a subscriber only forum (that works) and badges will be back in due time. ilikecheese may even get his Best Taste In Music badge!

Thanks and enjoy the ride!
Lizbet
Bronco's Fan

Post by Lizbet »

You do realise that I shall be less moderate now.
ilikecheese
Hey Jude

Post by ilikecheese »

Yeah, badge!
Thanks to kitty and liz for their service over the years. Enjoy retirement ladies!
HB...can/will you make sure new topics appear in descending order; it looks like it's in ascending order like after the last upgrade and I remember having to change that.

Still testing away as i have nothing to do this morning thus far.

The above post is entertainment. It is most likely not directed at any individual unless specified. Any other interpretation, gleaning, or reckoning, of this post without the express, written, consent of Cheese, is strictly prohibited.
markuspoop
Oddfellow

Post by markuspoop »

Only thing I've noticed (and it may be because the forums are in the "testing phase") is that the forum itself doesn't seem to have any link to it from the fourtheye.net homepage. Unless I didn't see it.
I like to poop naked.
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

hellboy said

Lizbet said

How about access the forums from the home page? I went out before I book marked and had to return to your post for the link.

That will be done - just don't want to open the flood gates quite that wide until I get my head around how this all works.
Don't mow your lawn
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

I don't have access to the Music subforum. I can access the review topics in that subforum. I was going to start a What are you listening to RIGHT NOW?? thread...
Don't mow your lawn
fortysixand2
Uncle Fucker

Post by fortysixand2 »

An option to adjust the timezone.. fucking finally!
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

Whatever font you're using for like the user names and other info besides posts makes the is and ls identical.
Don't mow your lawn
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Lizz said

I see what you mean.  I don't see it when logged in, however my non-admin account does.  Not sure if I want to promote it to the top, but we'll see...
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

markuspoop said

Only thing I've noticed (and it may be because the forums are in the "testing phase") is that the forum itself doesn't seem to have any link to it from the fourtheye.net homepage. Unless I didn't see it.

You mean apart from the header and the bit where it says "Home" ? I'm a little confused by your statement - can you clarifiy or post a screenshot?
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

UndKeineEier said

I don't have access to the Music subforum. I can access the review topics in that subforum. I was going to start a What are you listening to RIGHT NOW?? thread...

Just updated permissions to that forum. Try now (I'd already created that thread btw).
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Also guys, don't just make threads with vague titles just for the sake of it. I'm just going to delete them.

If you want to be vague and not post anything useful then there's a perfectly good infinity forum...
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

Did you turn off the signatures? I was going to remove mine, but I couldn't find the signatures option.
Don't mow your lawn
markuspoop
Oddfellow

Post by markuspoop »

hellboy said

markuspoop said

You mean apart from the header and the bit where it says "Home" ? I'm a little confused by your statement - can you clarifiy or post a screenshot?

What I was trying to say is that if you're on the http://www.fourtheye.net/ homepage there doesn't seem to be any way to directly access these forums, except for going through the "Fourtheye is back!" post and using the link you posted there.

But I made that post before seeing Liz and yours exchange about not opening up the floodgates yet.
I like to poop naked.
Lizbet
Bronco's Fan

Post by Lizbet »

I think the forum page needs to be changed. The "Unread and recently updated topics" bit should be up the top making it easier to go to the latest posts. having to scroll through all those forum headings is a pain and I'm finding it makes for time consuming navigation.
ilikecheese
Hey Jude

Post by ilikecheese »

i was just testing
being testy mayhaps?
The above post is entertainment. It is most likely not directed at any individual unless specified. Any other interpretation, gleaning, or reckoning, of this post without the express, written, consent of Cheese, is strictly prohibited.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Just FYI for you all: there's some server issues I'm having which so far aren't effecting the forums, but if you notice something strange going on then don't be surprised (and report it)!
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Lizbet said

I think the forum page needs to be changed. The "Unread and recently updated topics" bit should be up the top making it easier to go to the latest posts. having to scroll through all those forum headings is a pain and I'm finding it makes for time consuming navigation.

Not sure what you're talking about, I don't see any unread posts at the bottom.

I do however see a bunch of tools at the top of the page to access new threads.

UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

Clicking on a thread with more than one page will take you to the first page. That might get annoying.
Don't mow your lawn
Lizbet
Bronco's Fan

Post by Lizbet »

hellboy said

Lizbet said

Not sure what you're talking about, I don't see any unread posts at the bottom.

I do however see a bunch of tools at the top of the page to access new threads.

Ok I now see that I should go straight to clicking on the unread posts icon for the drop down box. At the bottom of the page though there are "unread and recently updated topics", which is much more useful to see first than the last post in each section.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Ok I now see that I should go straight to clicking on the unread posts icon for the drop down box. At the bottom of the page though there are "unread and recently updated topics", which is much more useful to see first than the last post in each section.
I don't see it. Not sure why...
Lizbet
Bronco's Fan

Post by Lizbet »

hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Server issues now appear to be resolved.
ilikecheese
Hey Jude

Post by ilikecheese »

UndKeineEier said
Clicking on a thread with more than one page will take you to the first page. That might get annoying.

this is like deja vu all over again
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

hellboy1975 said 
For now there are only two moderators (Kittaan & myself). 

I am deeply touched.  I will try to not fuck it up.

-----------

Very clean look and feel, and so far the speed/responsiveness does not seem to be an issue in my limited testing. I am impressed.  Hope it works out and we can move on with this version of the forum.  Love the sections/descriptions.  Well done.

Ki77aan :twisted: