Old Forum Recycling List

Discuss the peculiarities of the forum. Feedback, complaints, suggestions are all welcome.
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

As you've noticed we're basically starting from scratch here. I felt that 90% of the old forum is probably not worth keeping, and the only import option I had was all or nothing, so I elected to go with nothing.

However, I don't intend to abandon the threads of old. I do in fact want to import the threads that you guys feel are important. The obvious ones that come to mind for me are:

*BKGG's trading thread
*Some of the musical review threads

I'm interested in hearing which threads are important to you guys, so please reply to this post and let me know what you'd like. Requests for threads like the Tit thread, the bickering thread and other nonsensical ones are likely to be ignored.
Lizbet
Bronco's Fan

Post by Lizbet »

I'd like the band I saw last night thread, the Aussie music thread, the new music thread, and probably same of the threads on the bands that are quite popular around here. I'm not concerned about the bicker thread as long as we can start a new one!
Oh and the book thread.
markuspoop
Oddfellow

Post by markuspoop »

I think you'll have a riot on your hand if you don't bring back the Tit-Thread. I mean, that thing was up to like 150 pages or so.

Only other one I can think of is the recent gun-control/shooting thread and that may just be b/c I saw Liz responded to me and I never got a chance to respond to her. But no big deal on that one either way.

Oh, and the Sports Thread too.
I like to poop naked.
Lizbet
Bronco's Fan

Post by Lizbet »

I'd actually like that gun control thread back too. Not because I have anything more to say there right at the moment but it is a very relevant discussion and one way or the other there will be more to say in that thread.
ilikecheese
Hey Jude

Post by ilikecheese »

thanks hb
The above post is entertainment. It is most likely not directed at any individual unless specified. Any other interpretation, gleaning, or reckoning, of this post without the express, written, consent of Cheese, is strictly prohibited.
Lizbet
Bronco's Fan

Post by Lizbet »

Could I request again HB that you please repost the list of 2012 albums so I can do some stream hunting. 
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Lizz said
Could I request again HB that you please repost the list of 2012 albums so I can do some stream hunting. 

I shall post it in the forums when I'm free a bit later, but if you go to the Readers Poll link in the menu at the top of the screen you'll find one I posted yesterday.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Personally I don't think there's anything in the gun thread that really needs to come across. It's pretty much the same circular debates - just start a new thread.

There's plenty of tits on the internet, while I don't mind another one being started, there's really no good reason to bring the old one across.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Also note that threads saved will most likely need to be manually copied across by the person that deems it important to do so...
Lizbet
Bronco's Fan

Post by Lizbet »

hellboy said

Personally I don't think there's anything in the gun thread that really needs to come across. It's pretty much the same circular debates - just start a new thread.

There's plenty of tits on the internet, while I don't mind another one being started, there's really no good reason to bring the old one across.

I disagree. A few of us were engaged in that conversation and actually put some time and thought into our posts. It is not a circular debate (that's the god thread I'm about to start) it is an on going political issue. Starting a new thread and recreating what we had to say would be far more time consuming that copying across 3 or 4 pages at best.
ilikecheese
Hey Jude

Post by ilikecheese »

sports thread would be nice.
I think the funny shit you found on the internet is always good to look back upon.
If the tit thread is lost then it is so decreed...boo this man!

also, when will threads be taken "seriously" and not just deleted? not trying to sound like a dick; hope that sort of makes sense--like when is the trial period over is what i"m trying to say....
The above post is entertainment. It is most likely not directed at any individual unless specified. Any other interpretation, gleaning, or reckoning, of this post without the express, written, consent of Cheese, is strictly prohibited.
ilikecheese
Hey Jude

Post by ilikecheese »

can we bring back the hobbies thread under the Visual sub-forum. i think that was worthy of saving past works submitted.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

ilikecheese said
also, when will threads be taken "seriously" and not just deleted? not trying to sound like a dick; hope that sort of makes sense--like when is the trial period over is what i"m trying to say....
Anything outside of the Infinity thread will be taken seriously.
azbay
RIP

Post by azbay »

I did like the poster thread, trading & framing tool posters
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

Lizz said
I'd like the band I saw last night thread, the Aussie music thread, the new music thread, and probably same of the threads on the bands that are quite popular around here. 

Oh and the book thread.

I would like to see some of the non-Tool band specific threads move over too. Maybe a sub-forum under an existing section specific to that type of thread? As usual, if no interest shown, they will sink to the bottom. But I have gotten a lot out of some of those threads, as opposed to just random music thread posts that just get buried in a monolithic mess.  

Book and Movies thread too.  Oh, and Vinyl.  
Ki77aan :twisted:
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Ok, the old forums are open in a read only state (except for moderators who can probably post (but shouldn't)).

Feel free to harvest whatever data you like from it.  Note that I will be closing the old forums down for good, sometime around New Years Eve.

No I appreciate that harvesting data from these forums will be time consuming and difficult, however as it stands there's no easy way to selectively import and export data between the two systems.  That doesn't mean I won't attempt it though.

Here's what will be useful:

Identify the topics you think are worth keeping.
Go to the old forum, find the topic in question, and post the link to it in this thread.
Collectively we will then determine which ones we really want to keep.
I will then export the data directly from the database, and try and devise a system to import it into this database.

So get to it, identify the useful topics, and we'll see what we can do about importing them.