Donkey Punch the Spin

gamebounty
RIP

Post by gamebounty »

Who gives a shit if it needs to be covered. It's about if you WANT to cover it. Does it strike a chord for you and can it be used as a way to express yourself? If yes, then DO IT. That's one of the fundamental laws of art.
"The whole world seems to have gone full gay retard" -petemasterpete
BellJH
Fanboi

Post by BellJH »

I think I should write a biography, I won a cross country medal once
Jethro Tool
Maynard Believer

Post by Jethro Tool »

bit unfair. he aint freddie mercury but MJK is still just about the best singer alive...
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee
Height: Not A Fucking Manlet

Post by The Boss »

void said
It's just a song that doesn't need to be covered. What song does? Preferably something obscure that we may not have otherwise heard...

No one was there to interview Maynard when he got accepted to West Point or won a cross country medal because 1) No one gives a fuck and 2) Both of those things are gay. Dude needs to get over himself, it appears he still hasn't.

Well said.

O love will you read the letters I will send to you.
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

children said
So i guess Tool shouldn't have covered "No Quarter" then? Oh, but they're Tool, so it's okay...

TOOL's cover was a bombastic, original, beautiful thing that only sounded like ZEP's version about 20% of the time during the song.

PUSCIFER's "Bohemian Rhapsody" was a limp-dicked, lifeless, word-for-word, note-for-note rehash of the original.

Really big difference.

badkittygothgirl
Stinkyfist

Post by badkittygothgirl »

After listening to the album last night, I have to give it 4/10.  Really weak.  The only good song on there is his homage to Brother Ed, Dear Brother.  I really liked that song, but everything else was pretty meh.  It pains me to say that, b/c I have liked everything else he has done thus far. 
king
Maynard Believer

Post by king »

Was singing “Bohemian Rhapsody” difficult?
Yeah, he’s out of my range. Some of those notes, I can’t even get to.

"SO WHY THE FUCK DID YOU EVEN BOTHER WITH THE SONG AT ALL".

Maybe because it was fun you sad case.
DRURY
Fanboi

Post by DRURY »

Yeah i think they wanted to do bohemian as close to the original as possible. That was the whole point. On that account, they did a great job. The guitars and drums got similar tones and everything. Purely from a musical standpoint, its an accomplishment.

Whether one likes it or cares to listen to it, is another matter entirely.

Its easy to be critical and shit on music after one listen. I do it all the time. Other times music grows and you and may need to incubate awhile.

This instant negativity is just too easy and boring, definitely more boring than being in a successful band and releasing an EP.
void
Fanboi

Post by void »

As far as Tool covering No Quarter...yea it didn't need to be done. But it does actually kick ass, so that helps. This Queen cover by Puscifer sucks and Puscifer isn't a real band - it's hired guns carrying out Maynard's half-baked ideas.
Ravenpig
Peen Taster

Post by Ravenpig »

I finally heard Bohemian Rhapsody.  It's ok, I don't hate it or anything.  Then again I don't have the hard on that most of you seem to have for the original either. 

What I really dislike about it is that it's pretty much a straight up cover.  I hate it when bands/artists do that.  A good cover is an artist doing THEIR version of the song.  Examples:

Good:

Tool- No Quarter

Johnny Cash- Hurt

Marilyn Manson- Sweet Dreams, I Put a Spell on You

Hell, I dislike most of the covers on Emotive but at least they put their own touch on them.

Bad:

Marilyn Manson- Personal Jesus

Deftones- Simple Man

Puscifer- Bohemian Rhapsody

EDIT: I just heard Breath and Dear Brother as well.  Ehhhhh and not bad.  Balls to the Wall cover is ok.  Here come the remixes.

Hey! Denty!
MOG
Scissorman

Post by MOG »

It fucking sucks.
Ravenpig
Peen Taster

Post by Ravenpig »

Heard the remixes.  Not their worst remixes but not good either.

After "C" is for and C.O.M.P. this is a step back for Puscifer, though it's definitely not their worst release thanks to that terrible all remixes album. 

Not a single song on this made me go "Cool!" or anything like that, I'll give it a 2/5.
Hey! Denty!
Casey Tatum
Geacon

Post by Casey Tatum »

crow011 said

children said
So i guess Tool shouldn't have covered "No Quarter" then? Oh, but they're Tool, so it's okay...

TOOL's cover was a bombastic, original, beautiful thing that only sounded like ZEP's version about 20% of the time during the song.

PUSCIFER's "Bohemian Rhapsody" was a limp-dicked, lifeless, word-for-word, note-for-note rehash of the original.

Really big difference.

Why the FUCK do you think it is callled the (O.G. Mix)?
not tyson
Grammy Winner
Height: 186cm

Post by not tyson »

Why the FUCK are you using a fake account?
Casey Tatum
Geacon

Post by Casey Tatum »

EXCUSE ME
Casey Tatum
Geacon

Post by Casey Tatum »

you take this shit way too seriously, Tyson
not tyson
Grammy Winner
Height: 186cm

Post by not tyson »

If only, I put the tic in apathetic
Casey Tatum
Geacon

Post by Casey Tatum »

eff yeah! DGAF all the way, bro. right on!
markuspoop
Oddfellow

Post by markuspoop »

BellJH said
I think I should write a biography, I won a cross country medal once

Pffffft, oh yeah?  I once won a mini-golf tournament that officially made me the best mini-golfer in all of the Outer Banks.  There'll be a whole chapter in my autobiography about the stress and triumph associated with said tournament.

Finally gave this a listen and I thought it was pretty meh.  Guess I kinda liked the original "Dear Brother" and "B2TW Pillow" (though I should add I like the live-version of "B2TW" from Bonnaroo better) but the rest I'm sure I'll be fine with if I don't have 'em on my Itunes ever.  Speaking of which, anyone know how I could obtain the 2 aforementioned songs so I could maybe give them another listen or 2 on Itunes?

And like Ravenpig, the hair on my balls doesn't stand up for the original Bohemian Rhapsody so the Puscifer cover didn't do anything for me either. 
I like to poop naked.
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

badkittygothgirl said
After listening to the album last night, I have to give it 4/10.  Really weak.  The only good song on there is his homage to Brother Ed, Dear Brother.  I really liked that song, but everything else was pretty meh.  It pains me to say that, b/c I have liked everything else he has done thus far. 

I can't even get up the will to listen to it again... but from memory I'd have to say 2/10.  And that's ONLY because I know how much better it would be live.  But paying money for that shite is sending the wrong message... Don't encourage him!
Ki77aan :twisted:
gamebounty
RIP

Post by gamebounty »

Kittaan said

badkittygothgirl said

I can't even get up the will to listen to it again... but from memory I'd have to say 2/10.  And that's ONLY because I know how much better it would be live.  But paying money for that shite is sending the wrong message... Don't encourage him!

I want to encourage him, I just don't have the bills to do so.

"The whole world seems to have gone full gay retard" -petemasterpete
fulcanelli
Bronco's Fan

Post by fulcanelli »

Lots of hate going on here. Personally, I like the remake of BR so I suppose that would make me a fanboi to some people on here. Not exactly critical thinkers, IMO.

I liked the rest of the songs even though I was hoping that Balls To the Wall would have more... balls.
Casey Tatum
Geacon

Post by Casey Tatum »

People are so quick to judge. They give something one listen and immediately decide it sucks without giving it another chance. I don't see why they even bothered listening to DONKEY PUNCH THE NIGHT at all; most of them already had their mind made up about it since it was announced. Definitely not critical thinkers.
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

children said
People are so quick to judge. They give something one listen and immediately decide it sucks without giving it another chance. I don't see why they even bothered listening to DONKEY PUNCH THE NIGHT at all; most of them already had their mind made up about it since it was announced. Definitely not critical thinkers.

Wha...?

This makes no fucking sense, and you know it.

UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

I listened to it, I didn't think but I'm not going to start giving people shit for liking it.

If you like it, good for you.  You have more music to enjoy than I do.
Don't mow your lawn