Donkey Punch the Spin

The Boss
LSDeeeeeee
Height: Not A Fucking Manlet

Post by The Boss »

UndKeineEier said
I listened to it, I didn't think but I'm not going to start giving people shit for liking it.

If you like it, good for you.  You have more music to enjoy than I do.

This doesn't make sense, either.
O love will you read the letters I will send to you.
Casey Tatum
Geacon

Post by Casey Tatum »

crow011 said

children said
People are so quick to judge. They give something one listen and immediately decide it sucks without giving it another chance. I don't see why they even bothered listening to DONKEY PUNCH THE NIGHT at all; most of them already had their mind made up about it since it was announced. Definitely not critical thinkers.

Wha...?

This makes no fucking sense, and you know it.

Which part doesn't make sense, crow? Explain.
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

children said

crow011 said

children said
People are so quick to judge. They give something one listen and immediately decide it sucks without giving it another chance. I don't see why they even bothered listening to DONKEY PUNCH THE NIGHT at all; most of them already had their mind made up about it since it was announced. Definitely not critical thinkers.

Wha...?

This makes no fucking sense, and you know it.

Which part doesn't make sense, crow? Explain.

1. Taking for granted that everyone listened to it, literally, a total of one (1) time.

2. Seeing "LES MISERABLE" once was enough for me to decide that I fucking hated it and that it sucked. (I used this in another thread for basically the same argument, but apparently people have short memories.)

3. Quote: "I don't see why they even bothered listening to DONKEY PUNCH THE NIGHT at all; most of them already had their mind made up about it since it was announced."

Response: LOL. I wonder why people, on this, a TOOL forum, bothered listening to it. Fuck, this'll keep me up all night. Can anyone help me with this?

Who, exactly, had decided that they were going to straight-up hate it before listening to all of it? I can understand some people saying that they couldn't appreciate a cover of "Bohemian Rhapsody" before hearing it, but as to the rest of the EP - well, that would be perplexing beyond the point of stupidity.

4. Critical thinking is the ability to use reason and logic to deconstruct an argument and come to a reasonable conclusion.

UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

crow011 said

UndKeineEier said
I listened to it, I didn't think but I'm not going to start giving people shit for liking it.

If you like it, good for you.  You have more music to enjoy than I do.

This doesn't make sense, either.

You get the point.

Don't mow your lawn
Casey Tatum
Geacon

Post by Casey Tatum »

Crow, i was just pointing out that certain people are negatively biased against anything Puscifer does, no matter what. They hear it once, pass judgement and decide never to listen to it EVER again because it didn't dazzle them from that one frivolous listen. I feel bad for these people; they are missing out on a lot of spectacular music that really just takes a little effort to comprehend the subtleties that make it truly beautiful. 90 percent of the time i need to let music soak in before i can form an honest opinion. This is a process that takes time and usually dozens, sometimes hundreds, of listens. The goal is to try and crawl into the artist's mind and body and feel what they were feeling when they wrote the music. This is how i judge music and it has benefited me so far. It helps me weed out the good from the bad, and Puscifer is definitely good in my opinion. It's not like i don't have my own complaints about their music, but for the most part they are doing a great job.

And i don't know about you, but the way i judge music is vastly different from the way i judge film. You do realize those are two completely separate forms of entertainment right?
Ravenpig
Peen Taster

Post by Ravenpig »

^You're way, way off.

"C" is for... And C.O.M.P. were almost universally praised around here, because they're both really good.

They're saying this release sucks cause they think it sucks.
Hey! Denty!
Casey Tatum
Geacon

Post by Casey Tatum »

Well those are their two most accessible releases. I agree that most people would think generally think of it as good music, but i guarantee it didn't take one listen to fully realize that.
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

Ravenpig said
^You're way, way off.

"C" is for... And C.O.M.P. were almost universally praised around here, because they're both really good.

They're saying this release sucks cause they think it sucks.

Yeah, I was under the impression that that was all the excuse we needed, but apparently not.
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

children said
Well those are their two most accessible releases. I agree that most people would think generally think of it as good music, but i guarantee it didn't take one listen to fully realize that.

Cool. I'm not real excited about RSI from typing out all the songs, albums, movies, books, poems, works of art, etc etc etc that I've realised were "good" straight from the get-go, so I won't.

If you need repeated listenings to realise that a song like, say, "Stinkfist", is "good music", then I fear you have whatever the opposite of ADHD is.

Asperger's?

I don't know.

It didn't take many listenings for some of us to come to the conclusion that "DONKEY . . ." is a piece of shit because it is, indeed, a piece of shit.

End of discussion.

MOG
Scissorman

Post by MOG »

crow011 said

children said

Cool. I'm not real excited about RSI from typing out all the songs, albums, movies, books, poems, works of art, etc etc etc that I've realised were "good" straight from the get-go, so I won't.

If you need repeated listenings to realise that a song like, say, "Stinkfist", is "good music", then I fear you have whatever the opposite of ADHD is.

Asperger's?

I don't know.

It didn't take many listenings for some of us to come to the conclusion that "DONKEY . . ." is a piece of shit because it is, indeed, a piece of shit.

End of discussion.

^ This is full of win
snazzlefrass
Shankdagger
Height: 7.5inches

Post by snazzlefrass »

What the shit? Maynard has a new cd out?

Damn.

Moving on.
SteveBobSteve
Sollus
Maynard Believer

Post by Sollus »

Breathe, Dear Brother and Balls to the Wall are all good IMO. [face_shrug]
void
Fanboi

Post by void »

@Children, you are way off-base. Puscifer/Maynard isn't good anymore - people need to face this fact. No matter how great an artist' track record is (Fuck! Look at Metallica with those amazing early albums) at some point they get old, wealthy, lose touch or all three at once and jump the shark.

Some of you just need to accept that this is where Maynard is in his career at this point. He's 48 years old and he kind of just sucks now.
gamebounty
RIP

Post by gamebounty »

^LOL, he said "fact". K, I'm out.
"The whole world seems to have gone full gay retard" -petemasterpete
Casey Tatum
Geacon

Post by Casey Tatum »

some people just have poor taste in music i guess
kramer
Bronco's Fan

Post by kramer »

Just listened to donkey at spin. Dear god I wasted my 7 dollars to preorder. Too late to refund? Wouldn't that be a great message for nardo; presale numbers actually decreasing after the spin streaming, lol.
Here's to feeling good all the time
MOG
Scissorman

Post by MOG »

@Kramer - Glad you are back.

@Void - The voice of reason

@Children - Go fuck yourself

Carry on.
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

My faith in this forum has been almost completely restored.
Casey Tatum
Geacon

Post by Casey Tatum »

So hostile, Mog. Just because i'm not bitter and hateful like you, doesn't mean that we can't be friends.

or maybe it does
fulcanelli
Bronco's Fan

Post by fulcanelli »

By that logic you won't like the new Tool album. Why waste your time here?
ilikecheese
Hey Jude

Post by ilikecheese »

crow011 said

Would the Cheese Stamp Of Approval be useful at all?
The above post is entertainment. It is most likely not directed at any individual unless specified. Any other interpretation, gleaning, or reckoning, of this post without the express, written, consent of Cheese, is strictly prohibited.
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

cheeseballs said

crow011 said

When is it not?

Don't mow your lawn
ilikecheese
Hey Jude

Post by ilikecheese »

UndKeineEier said

cheeseballs said

crow011 said

When is it not?

Too kind, too kind....

Indeed!

I believe, although not perfect in form or membership (as no one is), this forum is hereby worthy of faith-restoration.

Duly noted and stamped etc

ilc

The above post is entertainment. It is most likely not directed at any individual unless specified. Any other interpretation, gleaning, or reckoning, of this post without the express, written, consent of Cheese, is strictly prohibited.
majordoucheismyhero
Maynard Believer

Post by majordoucheismyhero »

I rarely post my opinion but decided to pipe up after listening to DPTN tonight.
What I have heard feels so incomplete this go around. Can you even call it an EP? I guess so, but when there are mostly covers, remixes, and only, say, two new songs to it, you gotta feel bad for the people who pre-ordered the god-damn thing.

What is with the song Breathe? I try so hard not to criticize Puscifer's creative work because usually it only takes a day or two to feel in tune with the entire album, EP, etc. and fall in love with the songs, but after listening to Breathe a few more times, I just didn't want to hear the repetitive line: "the body has needs" and then have the song drift off into some black hole of nothingness. Where did the song go? Really. That was just... weird. I found that one song really off-putting and that is too bad as I was looking forward to several layers, a build, a crescendo, yadda yadda. Just my two cents there.

With all that said, I am happy MJK's still being creative and trying new things. I have been a fan of T00L for so long but I can't even listen to any of T00L's albums anymore because I pine for new music. Which is too bad because for so many years I was more than happy to line up their entire discography and go on my own little journey with the music. I have to skip over the "T' section now and play some new favorites like Yeasayer or Florence and The Machine.

Unfortunately I think we are witnessing Maynard's slow withdrawal (retirement) from a project that ultimately brought him to where he is today.... allowing him to live the life of leisure (should he chose) and allow him to focus on creative endeavors such as wine making.

I just wish one thing... that MJK would one day tip the hat to all the fans who have been faithful all these years... as a musician in today's climate, you are lucky if you last a year, and if you do, you have to sell out in some way down the line in order to stay relevant. MJK has got to acknowledge this, alone and in private, or publicly, I don't care how, just hope he is humbled by this little fact and maybe give back, sincerely, some day (suggestion: like don't charge for backstage meet 'n' greets?)