Adam posts a Toolish teaser?

Ravenpig
Peen Taster

Post by Ravenpig »

In all Tool issue of revolver May Jay straight up said that Prison Sex and Wings/10,000 Days are retired.
Hey! Denty!
Gwarden
Fanboi

Post by Gwarden »

I have this dream that they'll open with Rosetta Stoned like they used to open with Third Eye
snazzlefrass
Shankdagger
Height: 7.5inches

Post by snazzlefrass »

I think theyve done that a few times. Or a couple, in 06/07
SteveBobSteve
badkittygothgirl
Stinkyfist

Post by badkittygothgirl »

snazzlefrass said
I think theyve done that a few times. Or a couple, in 06/07

And in 2010.
joeypants
Goderator

Post by joeypants »

He meant Rosetta, which they only opened with a couple times in '06. I'd love to see Rosetta come back, although what would really be sweet is Disposition/Reflection returning in the "epic" slot. Or Third Eye again. 

I don't think Eulogy is beyond Maynard at this point at all. Honestly, I think he could easily retool any of the songs and pull them off if he wants to. He pulled of Parabola last time around, as well as The Pot, etc. Eulogy probably wouldn't be a problem and I would KILL to see it. 
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

joeypants said 
I don't think Eulogy is beyond Maynard at this point at all. Honestly, I think he could easily retool any of the songs and pull them off if he wants to. He pulled of Parabola last time around, as well as The Pot, etc. Eulogy probably wouldn't be a problem and I would KILL to see it. 

That's true.  I should have said in it's original form.  No doubt if Maynard wanted to he could make any song from their catalogue work in one form or another.

Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

And I have zero doubt Danny, Adam and Justin could pull off any track as well.  They are so on top of their game now, it's ridiculous.  I would actually dig a couple of instrumentals on the new album, where they could really go off...   like in place of the "filler" tracks (transitional tracks, if you like).
Ki77aan :twisted:
gamebounty
RIP

Post by gamebounty »

Kittaan said
And I have zero doubt Danny, Adam and Justin could pull off any track as well.  They are so on top of their game now, it's ridiculous.  I would actually dig a couple of instrumentals on the new album, where they could really go off...   like in place of the "filler" tracks (transitional tracks, if you like).

I would love to see more "jam" moments on this album. I like the idea of instrumental interludes. I'd like hybrids of things like Merkaba and the new schism intro.

"The whole world seems to have gone full gay retard" -petemasterpete
joeypants
Goderator

Post by joeypants »

The thing I'd really kill to see them do before it's all over is a "Dark Side of the Moon" type album that's just meant to be played front to back, always, and doesn't work quite as well out of sequence. I know Danny at least has verbally expressed a desire to do this. The problem is, I don't know that such an endeavor fits very well with their process, especially having Maynard out of the loop.

Then again, Dark Side is more or less a few different songs that can sit by themselves (i.e. they can kind of get away with just doing Time, or at least doing Speak To Me/Breathe>On The Run>Time, etc.), but also form a very cohesive and amazing whole.

Again, Danny's the only one I've heard admit it, but they have to know that 10,000 Days didn't flow quite as well as something like Lateralus. But Lateralus is still a "track-by-track" album, however well it flows together.
MOG
Scissorman

Post by MOG »

Kittaan said

Agreed.  Some instrumental tracks would be fantastic.  Fuck an entire instrumental album would be fantastic, but that isn't gonna happen.  I respect the work Maynard has done with Tool in the past, but at this point, when I think about Tool, Maynard barely comes to mind.  Shit Paul comes to mind as often as Maynard does.  More an after thought, if you will.  Tool, for me, is Danny, Adam and Justin.  Lazy fucks they may be, they do make magic together musically.
Casey Tatum
Geacon

Post by Casey Tatum »

joeypants said
The thing I'd really kill to see them do before it's all over is a "Dark Side of the Moon" type album that's just meant to be played front to back, always, and doesn't work quite as well out of sequence. I know Danny at least has verbally expressed a desire to do this. The problem is, I don't know that such an endeavor fits very well with their process, especially having Maynard out of the loop.

Then again, Dark Side is more or less a few different songs that can sit by themselves (i.e. they can kind of get away with just doing Time, or at least doing Speak To Me/Breathe>On The Run>Time, etc.), but also form a very cohesive and amazing whole.

Again, Danny's the only one I've heard admit it, but they have to know that 10,000 Days didn't flow quite as well as something like Lateralus. But Lateralus is still a "track-by-track" album, however well it flows together.

I wouldn't say the flow of Lateralus is perfect. The transition from "Parabola" into "Ticks & Leeches" isn't exactly smooth. But other than that the flow is great.

I think 10,000 Days is pretty solid when it comes to flow too though. Other than the transition from "Vicarious" into "Jambi" i don't see any issues. Are most people referring to "Wings" as the culprit for ruining the flow?
joeypants
Goderator

Post by joeypants »

You know it's hard for me to pin down. Just a gut feeling really. Honestly I think Aenemia has the worst "flow" of all of them. Not that it's bad or anything.

10,000 Days isn't bad at that by any means though. I just think they could do better.
Intension
Fanboi

Post by Intension »

I aLWAYS THhought people saying 10,000 days didnt flow well was a little ridiculous. I think it works great. And who would care if it didnt. Sure some cohesion with sound is good. But when a band is working from so many angles as Tool, i think trying to make it all fit too perfectly could narrow songs down. Iv thought 10,000 days was one of their best albums cohesion wise anyways.

UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

children said

joeypants said

I wouldn't say the flow of Lateralus is perfect. The transition from "Parabola" into "Ticks & Leeches" isn't exactly smooth. But other than that the flow is great.

I think 10,000 Days is pretty solid when it comes to flow too though. Other than the transition from "Vicarious" into "Jambi" i don't see any issues. Are most people referring to "Wings" as the culprit for ruining the flow?

10,000 Days - The Pot  - Lipan Conjuring - Lost Keys

That whole section doesn't have the greatest flow.  Going from 10,000 Days to The Pot is kinda jarring and having two segues one after another is not the best.  It's not awful, but it doesn't flow as well as Lateralus.

Don't mow your lawn
MOG
Scissorman

Post by MOG »

Horseshit about the flow from Parabola into Ticks.  Lateralus is fucking perfect.  Everything flows beautifully into the next piece.  Undertow probably flows the second best.  10,000 Days and Aenima are more experimental.  I completely agree about 10,000 Days to the Pot.  Made absolutely no sense thematically or musically.

10,000 would have worked better like this, IMO...

Jambi

The Pot

Viginti Tres (shortened down version)

Wings for Marie, Part 1

10,000 Days (Wings, Pt. 2)

Intension

Right in Two

Vicarious

Lipan Conjuring

Lost Keys (Blame Hofmann)

Rosetta Stoned

hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

That whole section doesn't have the greatest flow.  Going from 10,000 Days to The Pot is kinda jarring and having two segues one after another is not the best.  It's not awful, but it doesn't flow as well as Lateralus.

Nah, Lipan Conjuring -> Lost Keys -> Rosetta Stoned is just fine.   Makes complete sense to me.
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

hellboy1975 said

Nah, Lipan Conjuring -> Lost Keys -> Rosetta Stoned is just fine.   Makes complete sense to me.

It doesn't really disrupt the flow and it works better than it should, but it's still not the way I would've done it.

Don't mow your lawn
joeypants
Goderator

Post by joeypants »

hellboy1975 said

Yep. I'll agree that The Pot is weird coming out of Wings. And although I'll be damned if I know what else to do with it, having the "big epic" starting after two tracks felt sort of funny.

That said, I remember nothing but warm fuzzies the first time I listened to it.

petemasterpete
Lunchinator
Height: 7" (limp)

Post by petemasterpete »

joeypants said
You know it's hard for me to pin down. Just a gut feeling really. Honestly I think Aenemia has the worst "flow" of all of them. Not that it's bad or anything.

10,000 Days isn't bad at that by any means though. I just think they could do better.

quite the opposite for me... I consider Aenima as near to perfect as as an album can be based largely in part to the cohesion of the track order, and the general tone of the songs as a whole... obviously aided massively by the insertion of the interludes where fade out/in or full stop/start between tracks would never have worked
well piss on my tits and tell me it's raining
ilikecheese
Hey Jude

Post by ilikecheese »

mogeffingmog said
Horseshit about the flow from Parabola into Ticks.  Lateralus is fucking perfect.  Everything flows beautifully into the next piece.  Undertow probably flows the second best.  10,000 Days and Aenima are more experimental.  I completely agree about 10,000 Days to the Pot.  Made absolutely no sense thematically or musically.

10,000 would have worked better like this, IMO...

Jambi

The Pot

Viginti Tres (shortened down version)

Wings for Marie, Part 1

Intension

Right in Two

Vicarious

Lipan Conjuring

Rosetta Stoned

hmmm....

how about this one....

Jambi

Viginti Tres (shortened down version) ? might not even need this one eh?

The Pot

Lipan Conjuring

Wings for Marie, Part 1

Vicarious

Rosetta Stoned

Intension

Right in Two

I think intension and right in two finish the album-sounds like a natural ending...finish strong son!

jambi jumps on your nuts right off the bat 

lipan conjuring is a nice prelude to wings, given the subject matter

and Vicarious is a 'softer' open right after getting your emotion in an uproar with Wings...the beginning of Vicarious sounds better than a vocal-only intro...i think it would ease the transition better than the pot does...

The above post is entertainment. It is most likely not directed at any individual unless specified. Any other interpretation, gleaning, or reckoning, of this post without the express, written, consent of Cheese, is strictly prohibited.
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee
Height: Not A Fucking Manlet

Post by The Boss »

They need a female singer.
O love will you read the letters I will send to you.
snazzlefrass
Shankdagger
Height: 7.5inches

Post by snazzlefrass »

A hot one. Carina? haha sheeit.

Hows the essay going?
SteveBobSteve