Adam posts a Toolish teaser?

Chimichanga
Maynard Believer

Post by Chimichanga »

joeypants said
Blasphemer! The Pot is one of the best straightforward "rock" songs Tool has ever done, in my opinion. I'd love to know the details of how that song "almost broke up the band," according to Danny.

Can you provide the quote or more insight 

Tom
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

mogeffingmog said

The Pot might be the worst song Tool has ever done.

Whooo aaaare youooooooooo?!  LOLz
Ki77aan :twisted:
Casey Tatum
Geacon

Post by Casey Tatum »

Yeah because humans have absolutely no relation to monkeys. The Bible would have mentioned something about it if there was; it is "The Word of God" after all.

How dare Maynard make that comparison. It's absolutely ridiculous. FUCK MAYNARD. FUCK TOOL. FUCK THE JEWS. FUCK THE MUSLIMS. FUCK SATAN. FUCK SCIENCE. FUCK PEACE. FUCK LOVE.
'][' [[]] [[]] ][,
RIP

Post by '][' [[]] [[]] ][, »

children said
Yeah because humans have absolutely no relation to monkeys. The Bible would have mentioned something about it if there was; it is "The Word of God" after all.

How dare Maynard make that comparison. It's absolutely ridiculous. FUCK MAYNARD. FUCK TOOL. FUCK THE JEWS. FUCK THE MUSLIMS. FUCK SATAN. FUCK SCIENCE. FUCK PEACE. FUCK LOVE.

That metaphor has been used countless times making it pretty uncreative, but thanks for your input moron.
Gwarden
Fanboi

Post by Gwarden »

^ Right In Two is their worst in my opinion.  Monkeys?  OK then.

Wtf am I reading
gamebounty
RIP

Post by gamebounty »

mogeffingmog said

joeypants said
Blasphemer! The Pot is one of the best straightforward "rock" songs Tool has ever done, in my opinion. I'd love to know the details of how that song "almost broke up the band," according to Danny.

Ugh! Ya know I love ya big joe but the first half of The Pot is terrible.  The second half is excellent.  Maynard sounds TERRIBLE on this song from start to finish.  He simply cannot go there at this point as a vocalist.  Doesn't have the pipes.  In terms of straightforward rock, any of the more standard rock songs off Opiate and Undertow demolish The Pot on every conceivable level.  I mean common dude, Prison Sex, Sweat, Part of Me, Intolerance...those are great straight up rock songs.  The Pot might be the worst song Tool has ever done.

Seriously mog? That song has such an interesting orchestration. I'm surprised you can't appreciate the synergy. Maynard goes all over the place with his vocals, and he and Adam tear shit up. The song has some of Justin's best stuff too(the opening line, and the solo). Danny's part is effective as well. How exactly do songs off of Opiate and Undertow demolish this? The level of technicality is way higher in The Pot. Count the number of different riffs in The Pot to the number in any opiate/undertow song. When Maynard fucking goes all out in this one it's intense. Maynards opening vocals, to me, are great because it is such a unique style. I haven't heard anyone replicate it well in covers. It reminds me of the first chorus in Parabola, when he uses his head voice. To me, The Pot is one of their best songs to rock out to, up there with Ticks and Prison Sex.

I think I'm going to go play that song on my guitar right now, actually. :3
"The whole world seems to have gone full gay retard" -petemasterpete
Casey Tatum
Geacon

Post by Casey Tatum »

Where has that metaphor been used countless times? Evolutionary theories? American racial slurs?

Is it even a "metaphor" if it's a proven fact?
Casey Tatum
Geacon

Post by Casey Tatum »

gamebounty said

mogeffingmog said

joeypants said

Ugh! Ya know I love ya big joe but the first half of The Pot is terrible.  The second half is excellent.  Maynard sounds TERRIBLE on this song from start to finish.  He simply cannot go there at this point as a vocalist.  Doesn't have the pipes.  In terms of straightforward rock, any of the more standard rock songs off Opiate and Undertow demolish The Pot on every conceivable level.  I mean common dude, Prison Sex, Sweat, Part of Me, Intolerance...those are great straight up rock songs.  The Pot might be the worst song Tool has ever done.

Seriously mog? That song has such an interesting orchestration. I'm surprised you can't appreciate the synergy. Maynard goes all over the place with his vocals, and he and Adam tear shit up. The song has some of Paul's best stuff too(the opening line, and the solo). Danny's part is effective as well. How exactly do songs off of Opiate and Undertow demolish this? The level of technicality is way higher in The Pot. Count the number of different riffs in The Pot to the number in any opiate/undertow song. When Maynard fucking goes all out in this one it's intense. Maynards opening vocals, to me, are great because it is such a unique style. I haven't heard anyone replicate it well in covers. It reminds me of the first chorus in Parabola, when he uses his head voice. To me, The Pot is one of their best songs to rock out to, up there with Ticks and Prison Sex.

Paul?
MOG
Scissorman

Post by MOG »

children said

This is why you are a fucking idiot.  Nate didn't say shit to you.  You actually took fucking offense to the fact that he doesn't like Right in Two because he finds the thematic content to be on the weak side.  You did the same shit to Crow over the fact that he didn't like 10,000 Days.  You are, literally, a child.  Fucking grow up.  Maynard doesn't walk on water.

UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

gamebounty said

mogeffingmog said

joeypants said

Seriously mog? That song has such an interesting orchestration. I'm surprised you can't appreciate the synergy. Maynard goes all over the place with his vocals, and he and Adam tear shit up. The song has some of Paul's best stuff too(the opening line, and the solo). Danny's part is effective as well. How exactly do songs off of Opiate and Undertow demolish this? The level of technicality is way higher in The Pot. Count the number of different riffs in The Pot to the number in any opiate/undertow song. When Maynard fucking goes all out in this one it's intense. Maynards opening vocals, to me, are great because it is such a unique style. I haven't heard anyone replicate it well in covers. It reminds me of the first chorus in Parabola, when he uses his head voice. To me, The Pot is one of their best songs to rock out to, up there with Ticks and Prison Sex.

Ummm
Don't mow your lawn
gamebounty
RIP

Post by gamebounty »

Maynard walks on water AND fire. Like a boss.
gamebounty
RIP

Post by gamebounty »

UndKeineEier reiEenieKdnU said

gamebounty said

mogeffingmog said

joeypants said

Ummm

LOL whoops.
joeypants
Goderator

Post by joeypants »

Chimichanga said

joeypants said

Can you provide the quote or more insight 

Tom

"As a band, I suppose that one came together a little easier for us than some of the others. We didn't nearly break up over that one like we did for 'The Pot' (track five on said album). A lot heavier battle ensued over that tune than any other but for 'Wings For Marie', the music and even Maynard's lyrics just seemed to fall into place easily."

http://drownedinsound.com/in_depth/1321 ... lks-to-dis

Good article. Also the same article where he talked about feeling like 10K Days isn't as cohesive as a whole.

MOG
Scissorman

Post by MOG »

gamebounty said

mogeffingmog said

joeypants said

Technicality, in and of itself, doesn't automatically equate to quality.  Dream Theater is technical and they fucking suck.  Tool is fairly technical across the board, so all things being equal, the technicality argument in this case has little relevance.

The Pot is terrible because Maynard's voice has weakened significantly.  He can no longer yell/scream and when he tries to, it ends up sounding comical.  Also, that falsetto opening makes me cringe.  It was completely out of place and doesn't suit the song or the album.  Bottom line, The Pot sucks because Maynard cannot pull off that kind of song.  I am not on another bash Nardo post here, but the reality is that his voice is nothing like it use to be.  That doesn't mean he cannot pull off certain songs by modifying his vocal style, and do so successfully, as he did in Wings.  The Pot however, was a failure and marginally embarrassing by Tool standards.

joeypants
Goderator

Post by joeypants »

Forgot that Danny went into greater detail on the Pot debacle in that article.

"I'm curious now. What on happened when you were writing 'The Pot'?
Oh, it's just that our work ethics differ, I suppose. Maynard's definitely a person who relies on a flash of inspiration. No-one ever wants to second-guess him because he convicts right away, whereas Adam just wants to try every possibility over and over again. With 'The Pot', Adam knew that the very first thing we tried really was a flash of inspiration but he was not going to let it go until he'd tried every conceivable way of doing things, so by the end of it we really were ready to kill him. But when we're really ready to try something out, then we want to kill Maynard because he gets frustrated and doesn't want to keep working. And of course, we think Maynard's lazy and we think Adam's a slave-driver and we all get close to death. It all falls somewhere in the middle ground where it all makes sense, but it's just so difficult at times. These little idiosyncrasies of our different personalities come out and they drive you crazy, especially after fifteen or sixteen years."
gamebounty
RIP

Post by gamebounty »

mogeffingmog said

gamebounty said

mogeffingmog said

joeypants said

Technicality, in and of itself, doesn't automatically equate to quality.  Dream Theater is technical and they fucking suck.  Tool is fairly technical across the board, so all things being equal, the technicality argument in this case has little relevance.

The Pot is terrible because Maynard's voice has weakened significantly.  He can no longer yell/scream and when he tries to, it ends up sounding comical.  Also, that falsetto opening makes me cringe.  It was completely out of place and doesn't suit the song or the album.  Bottom line, The Pot sucks because Maynard cannot pull off that kind of song.  I am not on another bash Nardo post here, but the reality is that his voice is nothing like it use to be.  That doesn't mean he cannot pull off certain songs by modifying his vocal style, and do so successfully, as he did in Wings.  The Pot however, was a failure and marginally embarrassing by Tool standards.

There is no "reality". Stop speaking as if it were fact. That's your opinion. My opinion is that songs like Vicarious, 10,000 Days and The Pot are some of Maynards best vocal work, and can compete with anything he has done.

MOG
Scissorman

Post by MOG »

It isn't an opinion.  It is a fact.  Maynard's voice is not as good as good as it use to be.  His singing voice has dropped an octave or two and he cannot hit the same range of notes that he could previously.  He has made up for his failing voice by doing creative, different things vocally but a song like The Pot shows how badly his voice has degraded.  If you can't deal with that not my problem.
Casey Tatum
Geacon

Post by Casey Tatum »

but it is your opinion that The Pot sucks
gamebounty
RIP

Post by gamebounty »

mogeffingmog said
It isn't an opinion.  It is a fact.  Maynard's voice is not as good as good as it use to be.  His singing voice has dropped an octave or two and he cannot hit the same range of notes that he could previously.  He has made up for his failing voice by doing creative, different things vocally but a song like The Pot shows how badly his voice has degraded.  If you can't deal with that not my problem.

His voice has changed. He has lost some abilities but gained others. And what he has gained makes up for the loss imo, and in some cases it was worth it.
void
Fanboi

Post by void »

@Mog: I agree to an extent. I don't think "The Pot" sucks. It's a pretty cool song in my opinion, but his voice has definitely changed. He does weird techniques now to preserve his voice, but it ends up sounding bad live because he's not really going for it. Even on 10,000 Days the vocals were very processed and programmed sounding with extended delay's and some auto-tuning (wings for marie's 'low voice'). Just very unnatural in a lot of places.

If you were to pick on any song I'd say pick on Rosetta Stoned. On that one he didn't even try to come up with a cool or meaningful vocal melody or lyrics over the main riff of the song. Just seems he wasn't really trying too hard on that one.

not tyson
Grammy Winner
Height: 186cm

Post by not tyson »

The Pot sounds like a korn song
gamebounty
RIP

Post by gamebounty »

Tyson said

Your mom sounds like a Korn song.
not tyson
Grammy Winner
Height: 186cm

Post by not tyson »

gamebounty said

Tyson said

Your mom sounds like a Korn song.

Angry and whiny?

Spot on

MOG
Scissorman

Post by MOG »

children said
but it is your opinion that The Pot sucks

Obviously.  Unlike you it doesn't bother me when someone disagrees with my position.  I respect GB and appreciate the discussion even it we have completely different opinions on the issue.  I cannot same the same for a number of people who frequent this forum.